RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:31 am 
Board Emeritus

The college completely shut down on Wednesday, due to threats from around the country because some angry/nervous snowflake at Campus Reform saw a hashtag on a retweet, oh heavens to mergatroid.

Trinity College Faces Threats After Professors' Social Media Post - NBC Connecticut

2 con senators from CT of course are seething with rage that he still has a job and calling for a prof who has been there for 21 years to be fired.

Over a Tweet. And conservative whites call everybody else the "snowflakes" :lol: Yeah, it's not over a tweet. This is white revanchism on parade for the whole world to see their folly.

Quote:
Trinity College in Hartford was closed on Wednesday because of threats to campus that appear to have stemmed from an article posted on a professor's personal social media pages, according to a statement put out by the college.

A sociology professor, Johnny Williams, who has been with Trinity College since 1996, shared an article from Medium.com that was written on June 16 to his personal Facebook and Twitter pages, Trinity's president and professor of neuroscience, Joanne Berger-Sweeney, said in a statement.

The writer goes by the name "Son of Baldwin," Berger-Sweeney said, and the piece "cited another writer’s perspective on the shooting that occurred at the Congressional baseball practice in Virginia last week."

"The Medium piece went on to explore broader issues concerning race and the relationship between 'victims of bigotry' and 'bigots.' The piece culminated with a call to show indifference to the lives of bigots. That call was reprehensible, and any such suggestion is abhorrent and wholly contrary to Trinity’s values," Berger-Sweeney said.

Berger-Sweeney noted Williams, who teaches about race and racism, did not write the article; however, he did share it on his personal social media accounts using the hashtag connected "directly to the inflammatory conclusion in the article."

Berger-Sweeney is African American, by the way. Biology prof.

Anyway.

Campus Deform was hoppin' mad at the tweets they claimed called whites 'inhuman assholes' and calls to 'let them fucking die.'

Anyone can go to Campus Deform and find the outrage; I'm not linking those stupid bigot-victims here.

True to form, Campus Deform is very eager to exercise their Birth of a Nation emotional training, which interprets two tweets and a hashtag as Nat Turner's bugle.

(In case anyone doesn't get the reference, Nat Turner was based out of Mother Bethel AME Church, Charleston, SC. and one of the factors in Dylann Roof's targeting of that institution.)

Quote:
The sociology professor's post resulted in a public rebuke across the country.

Earlier on Wednesday, an initial alert from the school said all campus buildings could only be accessed by identification card. About 30 minutes later, the college sent out a notice that the school would be closed until further notice.

The campus is expected to reopen normal operations on Thursday.

No doubt. Meanwhile, the stupid revanchists at Fox and the rest of the conservative-dupe propagnada machine has picked up this story yesterday and today, and are busily clutching their pearls.

The same people celebrate the Philando Castille murder verdict, rationalize the death of Charleena Lyles, and freak out when we point out that they won obscure southern-stronghold House races by 4 and 5 percent with about a cubic metric ton of way more outside munny they accuse the Dems of utilizing.

And they call us the snowflakes. :problem:

These are the exact same ridiculous cons who call for "free speech" for their vile WN court jester instigators when the fact is, they cannot handle a RT of a Medium article on Twitter.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 am 
Board Emeritus

Campus had to close because somebody retweeted an article?

Yeah, and they call us snowflakes?

... and people wonder why some of us academics choose to maintain a cloak of (semi)anonymity for our online posting.

OK. Just read that article by Son of Baldwin. So, it essentially argues that Black/queer folk ... or their allies, I suppose ... if they should see a dying bigot ... let them die.

Essentially, Krystal Griner should have let Scalise die on the ballfield, instead of risking her life to save his.

I have to confess I can't agree with that viewpoint. I imagine she wouldn't either.

... OK? I might have even had the motivation to write a response or counter the argument ... though I won't. I almost get the feeling reading it that it might be in the vein of A Modest Proposal, by Jonathan Swift. Sort of strikes me, that way. (Google it if you don't know what it is, but it's a famous essay which seems to be in a similar vein.)

Why the heck shut down campus because a professor retweeted it and asked others to read it? (BTW, that doesn't always even necessarily mean they agree with it!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:05 am 
Board Emeritus

Oh and they put a hashtag!

Campus Deform knows better because they're at least a media organization. But them knowing better only highlights their venality in peddling this racebait.

Quote:
... and people wonder why some of us academics choose to maintain a cloak of (semi)anonymity for our online posting.

I think you and I talked about the Steven Salaita problem but that's a case in point where he was running to Twitter and acting out, *at the very least* being nonprofessional let alone a flagrant, frothing at the mouth anti-Semite -- I see this kind of behavior around social media in academia all the time.

Then some snowflake con gets ahold of some Instagram post, runs and tells Drudge the blacks want to kill all the whites, and takes them to the ombudsman and ties up their whole semester.

Can be avoided. But these "gotcha" types like Campus Deform, Canary Project, Veritas/James O'Keefe are the new trend. I just wish they'd drop the pretense that they care one whit about "free speech". Yeah a professor put a hashtag after a tweet on Twitter. So let's get the goons to threaten the campus, then cry antifa. :problem:

And ignore totally that Russian hackers infiltrated voter information in 39 states.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:54 am 
Board Emeritus

The only illegal activity I'm seeing in this story was committed by those making the threats against Trinity College.

So...we live in an "at will" country when it comes to employment. But if Williams is fired and it sticks, we have a 1st Amendment that doesn't actually mean jack shit.

OK. Just read that article by Son of Baldwin. So, it essentially argues that Black/queer folk ... or their allies, I suppose ... if they should see a dying bigot ... let them die.

Big fucking deal. We have a Legislative branch of government more than half-full with assholes not just happy but proud to let anybody with a lethal but treatable illness, injury or condition just fucking die.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:06 am 
Board Emeritus

Professors also have this thing called academic freedom -- btw, really only if they have tenure. (I don't.) 1st amendment might only apply if it's a public, government-funded institution.

But it's a thorny thing. Academic freedom does not give you the right to deny factual reality. This is why the guy at FAU who was a Sandy Hook truther, like Alex Jones, got fired. I mean, the children at Sandy Hook existed. Saying otherwise in your classroom is not a protected right.

You also have to be careful about what you do outside of the classroom. Salaita and others learned it doesn't necessarily protect what you put on social media.

Academic freedom protects those with tenure (again, I should note, large swaths of university faculty don't have it) from being fired for expressing controversial points of view. But, academe being what it is, only if you have a factual, empirical basis for what you're saying.

Very much a gray area for expressing moral viewpoints, unless you teach in philosophy of ethics.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:11 am 
Board Emeritus

Professors also have this thing called academic freedom -- btw, really only if they have tenure. (I don't.) 1st amendment might only apply if it's a public, government-funded institution.

But it's a thorny thing. Academic freedom does not give you the right to deny factual reality. This is why the guy at FAU who was a Sandy Hook truther, like Alex Jones, got fired. I mean, the children at Sandy Hook existed. Saying otherwise in your classroom is not a protected right.

You also have to be careful about what you do outside of the classroom. Salaita and others learned it doesn't necessarily protect what you put on social media.

Academic freedom protects those with tenure (again, I should note, large swaths of university faculty don't have it) from being fired for expressing controversial points of view. But, academe being what it is, only if you have a factual, empirical basis for what you're saying.

Very much a gray area for expressing moral viewpoints, unless you teach in philosophy of ethics.

Like I said in my post...it's basically an "at will" country. Unless an employer is contractually bound by specific guidelines for dismissal, there's nothing to stop the boss from canning your ass for any reason or no reason at all. Including a re-tweet that any Day-Glo Douche Nozzle wannabe doesn't like.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:31 am 
Board Emeritus

I understand, but education is one of the exceptions to the normal at-will provisions that govern most other industries. Obviously, though, your employer can't fire you because he doesn't like your race, so there are some exceptions everywhere.

If you have tenure - many educators don't - it's supposed to provide protection against firing due to having controversial viewpoints - that's academic freedom. Again: note, only controversial viewpoints expressed in scholarly literature or in the classroom, not necessarily on social media. And, you still have the academic responsibility of proving what you're saying, so it doesn't protect lying and bullshit.

I see many righties complaining about tenure. But, no, it cannot protect you from being fired for being incompetent, dereliction of your duties, inappropriate conduct with one of your students, harassing a student because of their beliefs, and a variety of other things. It does not protect teachers from misconduct.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:40 am 
Board Emeritus

I understand, but education is one of the exceptions to the normal at-will provisions that govern most other industries. Obviously, though, your employer can't fire you because he doesn't like your race, so there are some exceptions everywhere.

If you have tenure - many educators don't - it's supposed to provide protection against firing due to having controversial viewpoints - that's academic freedom. Again: note, only controversial viewpoints expressed in scholarly literature or in the classroom, not necessarily on social media. And, you still have the academic responsibility of proving what you're saying, so it doesn't protect lying and bullshit.

I see many righties complaining about tenure. But, no, it cannot protect you from being fired for being incompetent, dereliction of your duties, inappropriate conduct with one of your students, harassing a student because of their beliefs, and a variety of other things. It does not protect teachers from misconduct.

I don't think this is a debate perfesser. Education is an exception...but I believe it is a contractual exception that is part of an educator's tenure at pretty much any educational setting that provides for tenure. And there are protected classes that are designed to protect an employee from being fired for anything related to being a member of that class. But employers lie all the time...and fire employees not only unreasonably, but illegally and get away with it. Unless the former employee wants to take the time and spend the money to drag the former employer into court.

Do tenured teachers have the freedom to say unpopular things face to face, or on their twitter page without being at risk for termination? Seems to me they should. There may be all sorts of unofficial, non-employee related consequences...maybe students will refuse to sign-up for that college professor's classes. What does an institution of higher learning do when some professor's class of 25 turns out to be a class of 3 every semester?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:18 am 
Board Emeritus

Do tenured teachers have the freedom to say unpopular things face to face, or on their twitter page without being at risk for termination? Seems to me they should. There may be all sorts of unofficial, non-employee related consequences...maybe students will refuse to sign-up for that college professor's classes. What does an institution of higher learning do when some professor's class of 25 turns out to be a class of 3 every semester?

At my university, cancel the class. Of course, it depends. High level graduate seminars may sometimes have only 5 students. That's supposed to be the case. If you're doing what's called "directed study" with your professor, it could be a class of 1. For most undergraduate courses, an enrollment of 3 means it gets cancelled.

Anyway, well, that's the thing. I think I agree that in most cases, tenure protections should extend to social media. But I guess I'm noting that the way most university contracts are written, those don't have academic freedom protections.

Oh, and one more thing, back to the focus of the OP. You know I have read opinion pieces by people arguing we should turn Middle Eastern countries to glass with nuclear weapons, killing everyone that lives there. IMHO, that's more heinous than saying you should let drowning people (etc.) drown. You know something? You can advocate for heinous things ... that falls under freedom of expression. I don't have to like it, and I don't have to agree with it. But the way 1st amendment law is right now ... if you're not advocating people commit a specific criminal act against a specific target ... you can say it.

Yes, you can write a piece that says "gays should be put to death". You can't write "Gay person Tom T. Jones on Walla Walla Avenue should be killed." THAT is illegal, but the first thing is not. However much we might not like it. BTW, there is definitely, under current law, nothing illegal about telling people they shouldn't save the lives of bigots. In fact, BTW, most states don't have "duty to rescue" provisions, which means, you could see anybody in the universe drowning, and you are under no legal responsibility to save their life.

Again, consult your state statutes. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. But, in general, you can't be prosecuted for failing to save someone else's life, especially if there was some risk to your own.

Now - note - if you are in certain professions, like police officer, fireman, or lifeguard, now you have a professional DUTY to save lives, as part of your occupation.

I once said on the RRMB if you saw an Objectivist trapped in a burning building, you shouldn't risk your life to save them ... you should read passages from Ayn Rand on the virtue of selfishness to them, and watch them die. Incidentally, that was, of course, facetious. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:56 am 
Policy Wonk

Quote:
Trinity Coll. closes b/c Campus Rightie saw a hashtag

The campus wasn't closed because "campus rightie saw a hashtag."

It was closed because explicit death threats were made against the professor (and possibly others) and the school was working with law enforcement to try to determine whether or not the threats were credible.

I find it odd you seem to be chastising Trinity for exercising an abundance of caution in their efforts to protect the black professor in question.

Last edited by Col. Jessep on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:12 am 
Board Emeritus

Great info, thanks.

BTW - us social workers not only have the same duty to act, but we also have a duty to warn possible targets of violence or other anti-social behavior. That includes, of course, suspected possible child abuse or neglect where we only have indications, suspected possible suicidal behavior, and even dui. I've had clients show up drunk to a session and refuse to hand over their keys...and I have called the cops and provided a licence plate. All of these are mandated exceptions to client confidentiality laws.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:16 am 
Policy Wonk

<snip>

Why the heck shut down campus because a professor retweeted it and asked others to read it? (BTW, that doesn't always even necessarily mean they agree with it!)

That's not why the campus was closed. That was just carmen's mischaracterization of why it was closed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:43 am 
Board Emeritus

That's not why the campus was closed. That was just carmen's mischaracterization of why it was closed.

Oh well yes, kernel. Irony rears its ugly, lumpy, zit covered head when it's you pointing your gnarly stink-finger "mischaracterisation" accusation at anybody. Mirror...mirror, kernel.

But you are correct...the campus was not closed because of a retweet...is was closed due to death threats from the likes of you over a retweet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:06 am 
Policy Wonk

Essentially, Krystal Griner should have let Scalise die on the ballfield, instead of risking her life to save his.

The original article is here: https://medium.com/@SonofBaldwin/let-th ... 16eee34212

It's an odd treatise, to say the least.

The article starts by seemingly attributing a higher purpose to Griner's actions...

Quote:
And what our — black/queer people — response to that has been, largely, is to attempt to be a more moral species of being than those who dehumanize us.

We, some of us, get a kind of glee out of presenting ourselves as respectable and upright, willing to get past their hatred of us to save them from themselves. We think being the kind of thing that would sacrifice our lives for the very people who would reflexively slit our throats to create a fountain from which to drink our blood is noble.

What the fuck is wrong with us?

Her actions that day had absolutely nothing to do with an effort on her part to secure some moral or noble high ground. She was doing what she was paid to do and what any officer on security detail should have done. If you don't want to "sacrifice (y)our lives for the very people who would reflexively slit (y)our throats,' don't take a job as a capitol police officer.

As for the rest of the article, the author obviously is entitled to his perspective. If he thinks other blacks who follow a moral or ethical code which calls for forbearance, forgiveness, etc., are fools, that's his prerogative. If he doesn't want to live that way, he's free to not live that way.

In a recent thread, carmen made reference to some imaginary folks "demanding forgiveness" for the Roof shooting. The author also makes reference to that killing here...

Quote:
"Like any drug white/cisgender/ heterosexual people have ever given us, we get high on this notion that forgiving them after they slaughter our grandparents in churches, obliterate our siblings in the streets, and mangle our children in playgrounds makes us better people than they.

Again, no one is demanding anything of him. If he doesn't want to offer forgiveness, he shouldn't. If he looks down on blacks who do, good for him.

As for the conclusion of his article where he calls for other blacks to abandon their moral precepts and adopt his disregard for the lives of bigots who would do him / them harm, I'm honestly not sure how he can distinguish between a bigot who's drowning or dying in a burning building or overdosing on drugs and someone who isn't a bigot. But again, he can live by whatever moral or ethical code he chooses to live by. No one is requiring him to do otherwise.

Last edited by Col. Jessep on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:08 am 
Board Emeritus

The campus wasn't closed because "campus rightie saw a hashtag."

If you see an X for gender on somebody's drivers license, do you fear for your life?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:13 am 
Policy Wonk

If you see an X for gender on somebody's drivers license, do you fear for your life?

No.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:23 am 
Board Emeritus

Oh well yes, kernel. Irony rears its ugly, lumpy, zit covered head when it's you pointing your gnarly stink-finger "mischaracterisation" accusation at anybody. Mirror...mirror, kernel.

But you are correct...the campus was not closed because of a retweet...is was closed due to death threats from the likes of you over a retweet.

So I'm correct. Or has the cat gotcher tongue?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:25 am 
Policy Wonk

So I'm correct. Or has the cat gotcher tongue?

You were correct in saying I was correct.

Do you want a participation trophy?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:26 am 
Board Emeritus

No.

Regardless of his "rank"...the kernel has never taken the oath that would put himself in a position where he might have to fear for his life.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 am 
Board Emeritus

The screenshot of the tweets at Campus Deform include the hashtag #LetThemDie, in reference to structures of white supremacy. That's what they went apoplectic about, and why Fox is running screaming headlines that the prof wants to kill the whites.

Like a bunch of the dumb cons around here, either they have low reading comprehension of tweets or they're seeking to read of their personal demise in what he actually wrote. Birth of A Nation trained them well.

As for SoB, I used to follow him on FB years ago but dumped him a couple years back when he started posting approvingly from Alice Waters's whackodoodle website (it wasn't anything about David Icke, at least :?). But that along with some additional posts told me enough about the direction he was headed in, so at that point I was like, nah.

So it's interesting to see that he's now on Medium as well, and now at the center of controversy.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 am 
Board Emeritus

You were correct in saying I was correct.

Do you want a participation trophy?

Not from anybody who doesn't have the balls to actually participate himself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:31 am 
Policy Wonk

Regardless of his "rank"...the kernel has never taken the oath that would put himself in a position where he might have to fear for his life.

there is a saying.... "i wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire"..... well that is cruel..... and i certainly would piss on him if he were on fire......if the fire started on his feet..... i would start at his face..... and meet the fire in the middle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:33 am 
Policy Wonk

Not from anybody who doesn't have the balls to actually participate himself.

...yet you were seeking recognition from me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:50 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, won't stop his Officer Smash and Bash fantasies, though. :problem:

Last edited by carmenjonze on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:59 am 
Board Emeritus

If all pro war cons had served in Vietnam and Iraq war eras, many of them wouldnt be around today to fuck up everything.

They ran and hid whether it was in the 60's or 90's, made sure they could be around to fuck up everything.

remarkable