Sigh ... Nikki Fried ... Really?

News and events of the day
ProfX

Sigh ... Nikki Fried ... Really?

Post by ProfX »

So, I'm about to early vote in our primary here. Mostly, I've been wrestling over whether to support Fried, who seems more liberal to me, than former Republican (and governor) Charlie Crist. Polls show Crist would do better against dePutin.

Plus how can I not support a nice Jewish medical marijuana supporter from Broward?

But this is really puzzling me.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/54 ... publicans/

Samantha Ramirez@Sam_RamirezQ
The Fried campaign has spent months lying about Charlie Crist. Now, it's time voters know the kind of "lifelong Democrat"
@NikkiFried really is.

✅Donated to Ashley Moody
✅Campaigned for Manny Diaz Jr.
✅Friends with accused sex-trafficker Matt Gaetz

[snip][end]

Manny Diaz Jr. is now DeStupid's Secretary of Education. A local critter from Miami whose shit floated upward.
Ashley Moody is his Attorney General.
(I should note Fried herself is the Secretary of Agriculture, and the only one in the current admin who's a Democrat. If you're wondering why, I'll just cliff-note it: some of Florida's races are independent, and complicated. :D )

BTW, both of those things are true - no lies detected. She says she has personal friendships with these people. No problem, Nikki, but that doesn't mean you should raise money and campaign for them. THAT is kinda the problem.

Now, she says Matt Gaetz is NOT a "friend," just a colleague, they have professional ties because whatever their other political differences, they both were active in pushing for legal medical marijuana. She complains it's "chauvinistic" to criticize her about this. Uh, Nikki, I would have the same problem if you were a man. Quite a few people have noticed you have been very reticent to criticize some of his recent actions.

One other thing I just saw about Nikki's bio: she was the President, of the University of Florida Student Senate, in 2003. Let's just say I know quite well, no "outsider" eases into that role. That position is controlled by a clique of fraternities and sororities on campus through a "service group" called Florida Blue Key, and has been that way for decades.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Re: Sigh ... Nikki Fried ... Really?

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:59 pm So, I'm about to early vote in our primary here. Mostly, I've been wrestling over whether to support Fried, who seems more liberal to me, than former Republican (and governor) Charlie Crist. Polls show Crist would do better against dePutin.

Plus how can I not support a nice Jewish medical marijuana supporter from Broward?

The Fried campaign has spent months lying about Charlie Crist. Now, it's time voters know the kind of "lifelong Democrat"
@NikkiFried really is.

✅Donated to Ashley Moody

[snip][end]

Manny Diaz Jr. is now DeStupid's Secretary of Education. A local critter from Miami whose shit floated upward.
(I should note Fried herself is the Secretary of Agriculture, and the only one in the current admin who's a Democrat. If you're wondering why, I'll just cliff-note it: some of Florida's races are independent, and complicated. :D )

BTW, both of those things are true - no lies detected. She says she has personal friendships with these people. No problem, Nikki, but that doesn't mean you should raise money and campaign for them. THAT is kinda the problem.

Now, she says Matt Gaetz is NOT a "friend," just a colleague, they have professional ties because whatever their other political differences, they both were active in pushing for legal medical marijuana. She complains it's "chauvinistic" to criticize her about this. Uh, Nikki, I would have the same problem if you were a man. Quite a few people have noticed you have been very reticent to criticize some of his recent actions.

One other thing I just saw about Nikki's bio: she was the President, of the University of Florida Student Senate, in 2003. Let's just say I know quite well, no "outsider" eases into that role. That position is controlled by a clique of fraternities and sororities on campus through a "service group" called Florida Blue Key, and has been that way for decades.
I've seen complaints about her on Twitter for the past few months along these lines from Kathryn Brightbill @KEBrightbill

https://twitter.com/KEBrightbill

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:59 pm So, I'm about to early vote in our primary here. Mostly, I've been wrestling over whether to support Fried, who seems more liberal to me, than former Republican (and governor) Charlie Crist. Polls show Crist would do better against dePutin.

@NikkiFried really is.

✅Donated to Ashley Moody

[snip][end]

And that, my friend, is why politics is such a dirty business.

Not telling you anything you don't already know, but for the sake of discussion, I thought I'd add this:

To be a successful politician, you just can't do what you think is best. You can't stay true to your principles. Glenn always likes to slam the Clintons and Obama for not always being loudly FOR gay marriage their entire careers, as - probably - that's what their true views were. But Glenn knows that being for gay marriage in the nineties would have meant they probably couldn't get elected - which is what he would like to see.

In the 90's, most people weren't for gay marriage. Many were for civil unions, but we had to evolve as a people. And, as our nation evolved, President Obama and people like the Clintons that suddenly WERE for gay marriage was able to push it over!

Senator Warnock is bragging right now how he proudly worked with Ted Cruz on a highway amendment to the first infrastructure bill that was passed.

I wouldn't be able to stand in the same room with Ted Cruz. When you run for office, you've got to do a lot of research into what your voters want - then you have to craft stances that will appeal to enough people to win. Then you have to watch how you vote so you don't piss them off.

And you make friendships and alliances that can pay off down the road. You cut deals. You vote for this, I'll vote for that. You have to play head games.

It's ugly.

I've seen that sausage being made, and how they twist the arms to get votes.

I could never have done that.

Now, many on the GOP are past all that now, and all they exist to do is to destroy our democracy. So they don't do that anymore.

I would like to think that to some people, there's lines they won't cross. I think there's a good number of Dems that will always try to stay on the right side of that line. But on the GOP, it seems that only two Republicans in Congress decided that when it came to armed attempted revolution, they couldn't cross that line. I can't see any other Republican that put their country before their career.

But Prof, as you decry the decision you must make, just remember that democracy is ugly and dirty. But it's still far superior to any other form of government human beings have devised.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Yeah, my spider sense was totally right on this one.

The boys of ‘Old Florida’ make way for the women
https://floridaphoenix.com/2019/02/27/t ... the-women/

Florida Blue Key, the 96-year-old honorary society at the University of Florida, has long been a springboard for successful political and business leaders in the state.

The organization can claim governors, U.S. senators, state Supreme Court members, legislative leaders, law firm partners and prominent business executives. But for decades the beneficiaries of the friendships and networking built on the Gainesville campus were men.

That’s changing. Florida Blue Key, long an effective “good old boys” network, has finally morphed into an equally effective “good old girls” network.

Blue Key women’s growing success culminated this year with the ascension of three new state officials: Attorney General Ashley Moody, Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried, and Secretary of State Laurel Lee. Moody is a former Blue Key president. Fried and Lee are Blue Key members.

“We have known each other for many decades at this point,” Democrat Fried said, referring to Lee and Moody, who are both Republicans. “To have three strong women who were taught about politics and leadership skills at the University of Florida and are now able to take that experience and skills and bring it to the state of Florida – I think will serve (the state) well.”

A 2003 graduate of UF law school and a former student body president, Fried is the first woman ever elected as the state agriculture commissioner. She is the only Democrat currently serving in a statewide office.

“It taught us how to be good leaders,” Fried said about her experience in Blue Key. “It taught us how to work across aisles, to have consensus on policies, and to put ourselves out there and to step up.”

Florida Blue Key’s Wikipedia page lists 46 “famous alumni,” ranging from governors, like Spessard Holland and Lawton Chiles, to U.S. senators, like George Smathers and Bob Graham, to athletes like Tim Tebow and Steve Spurrier. But it only lists one woman: Julie Brown, a member of the Florida Public Service Commission and a former Blue Key president. Over time, Brown and other women began playing a larger role in the organization. Blue Key admitted its first women members in 1974 and a woman was elected as president for the first time in 1990. Kylie Werk, a second-year law student, is the current president.

[snip]

The Blue Key connections are evident in Moody and Lee’s careers – they were UF sorority sisters, and both graduated from UF law school.

Their paths continued to cross. Early in her legal career, Lee was a law clerk for Blue Key member U.S. District Judge James Moody, Ashley’s dad. When Ashley successfully ran for a circuit judgeship in Hillsborough County in 2006, Lee was her treasurer.

[snip]

Moody and Fried both worked as Holland & Knight lawyers. Barnett said both followed “the traditional path” to leadership while developing their skills.

[snip]

While Blue Key has had many successes, the organization has faced criticism over the years. Some call it “the system,” because of the group’s control over student government and campus elections at the University of Florida.

U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a Broward County Democrat, is a University of Florida graduate who operated outside the Blue Key network during her time as a student leader in the 1980s.

In a 2012 interview with student newspaper The Independent Florida Alligator, Wasserman Schultz said a Blue Key member told her she would never have a future in state politics because the organization would never accept her.

“I’m not in Florida Blue Key, and it seems like I did OK,” Wasserman Schultz told the student newspaper. At the time, she chaired the Democratic National Committee.

[snip][end]

Yeah, there were a whole bunch of other and different bizarre "theories" about you, Debbie, but I suspected that.

Fried campaigned and donated to Moody not just because they were friends ... they were both FBK alumni. (This is no conspiracy. Now look, I gotta be honest on this. Bob Graham, who I worked for many moons ago, was also a FBK alumni. And a good legislator and a good man. I also supported his daughter Gwen. I'm not claiming this group is something like skull & bones. BUT, it IS the UF establishment. Fine that it's finally opening up to Jewish broads as well as WASP men, but still.)
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:26 pm To be a successful politician, you just can't do what you think is best. You can't stay true to your principles. Glenn always likes to slam the Clintons and Obama for not always being loudly FOR gay marriage their entire careers, as - probably - that's what their true views were. But Glenn knows that being for gay marriage in the nineties would have meant they probably couldn't get elected - which is what he would like to see.
Well, it's just really stupid for him to keep pointing that out.

Lol as soon as you remind him, look at the GOP's current, present-day anti-LGBTQ policies, and the anti-LGBTQ politicians he actively votes for, he runs away.

He seems not to realize the GOP is not hiding their anti-queer and trans hatred, and that they never ever have.

:problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

gounion wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:26 pm Senator Warnock is bragging right now how he proudly worked with Ted Cruz on a highway amendment to the first infrastructure bill that was passed.
BTW, I have zero problem with Warnock helping work on bipartisan legislation with him. That's fine.

I remember "back in the day" Orrin Hatch and Ted Kennedy were "off the floor" friends and when they left the Senate, they had a friendly relationship outside the chamber. Doesn't bother me.

As I have said before, I am not against bipartisanship and compromise ... but then we get to the devil in the details. What are we compromising on? Hopefully not fundamental rights or the rule of law.

Now, if Warnock campaigned for and raised money for Ted Cruz ... mmmm, that's different.
But Prof, as you decry the decision you must make, just remember that democracy is ugly and dirty. But it's still far superior to any other form of government human beings have devised.
Yeah, Winston Churchill.

I agree.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

OK. I agree with this. She could put an end to this ... what puzzles me is why she won't.

Joe Henderson: Maybe Nikki Fried could work with Matt Gaetz, but why should she?
https://floridapolitics.com/archives/54 ... hould-she/

t should be easy for Nikki Fried to stop the criticism she received for having a working relationship with U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz.

Fried could take to Twitter and write that he’s a creep for saying in a speech recently, “Why is it that the women with the least likelihood of getting pregnant are the ones most worried about having abortions?”

Fried made abortion rights a central plank in her platform for Governor, and Gaetz handed her a megaphone to shout that sexist trolls like Gaetz want to demean and control women. It shouldn’t be hard to distance one’s self from someone with that hanging over their head. After all, he is under investigation for possible sex trafficking.

She is one of the highest-profile women in Florida. Speak out!

Problem solved.

What did Fried do, though?

She blamed the media.

“My opponent & media calling me “friends” with Matt Gaetz are purposely perpetuating a lie that women can’t work with men in politics professionally without owning all their baggage,” she tweeted. “It’s chauvinistic & part of the culture that’s prevented Florida from electing a woman governor.”

This is what Gaetz tweeted last week about Fried in that professional working relationship.

“Nikki Fried is a radical Leftist,” he wrote. “She would take guns from law abiding people while allowing abortion up to the point of birth. Floridians would be wise to reject her candidacy if they respect life and freedom.”

That broadside came after Fried said, “When I am Governor we’re going to work to ban (assault weapons) in Florida. It’s just common sense.”

Well, she’s right about that. It is common sense, but that’s a column for another day.

Saying it’s possible to work with men like Gaetz “professionally without owning all their baggage” is like saying you can work with a six-foot diamondback rattlesnake if you just explain things clearly.

While some might praise Fried for trying to rise above, I would rather see some of the spit and vinegar she has often unleashed during her campaign. She has no trouble speaking her mind on any number of issues, and she shouldn’t defend the indefensible when it comes to Gaetz.

The weird dynamic of the Fried-Gaetz relationship became a thing when Business Insider reported last year that Fried and Gaetz were “pals.”

Fried reportedly was the first to text Gaetz to see if he was OK after the Jan. 6 insurrection.

He was just fine.

[snip][end]

Nikki - he's trashed you. Seems fair you could at least point out what he's said about abortion and other issues you're campaigning about, and the accusations he's facing. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. But yeah. Why won't you?
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Remember, cons love this guy, dont let them kid you...

I know this is OT but I wanted to just put this here because how soon we forget!

Final tally of lies: Analysts say Trump told 30000 mistruthshttps://www.independent.co.uk › ... › US Election 2020
Jan 21, 2021 — Donald Trump made more than 30,000 false or misleading statements during his four years as president of the United States, analysis suggests ...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 90285.html

If you could find one lie from Obama or Hillary, you would also find 50 million OUT OF THEIR MINDS rightwingers.
I sigh in your general direction.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:12 pm Image
Dumbfracks, omg…

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:00 pm

This is what Gaetz tweeted last week about Fried in that professional working relationship.

“Nikki Fried is a radical Leftist,” he wrote. …

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

Yeah, this is another thing that made me question voting for her in the primary. I'm of course totally supportive of her position for cannabis legalization, but as folks around here often say, not a single issue voter. :D (Also - the governor couldn't do it unilaterally, needs a citizen initiative or legislation.) She keeps saying she is the more liberal candidate in the race. Maybe. But ...

BOTH of them are taking dark money. I have never been a huge fan of Charlie Crist. Especially back in his "chain gang" days. But, Nikki is taking it from Big Sugar and FPL.
https://jasongarcia.substack.com/p/fpl- ... ikki-fried

Here's what really bugs me.
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... group-pai/

Nikki Fried falsely claims environmental group paid for sugar cane coverage

PolitiFact found no evidence to corroborate Fried's claim that the Sierra Club paid reporters from the Palm Beach Post to cover sugar cane harvesting.

[snip][end]

So, first off, she's lying that Sierra Club "paid" reporters to write negative stories about her.

But second, she seems to have some axe to grind against Sierra Club, Everglades Foundation, and other environmental groups. All while basically backing some debatable policies by Big Sugar over cane burning.

That is not a good look.
Glennfs

Post by Glennfs »

@NikkiFried really is.

✅Donated to Ashley Moody

[snip][end]

According to rcp future president Desantis is up 51 to 41 over fried and 49 43 over Crist
" I am a socialist " Bernie Sanders
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:20 am According to rcp future president Desantis is up 51 to 41 over fried and 49 43 over Crist
We're not even to the midterms, yet.

Put that hemp rope away.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Glennfs »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:34 am We're not even to the midterms, yet.

Put that hemp rope away.
:)
" I am a socialist " Bernie Sanders
bird

Post by bird »

Glennfs wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:20 am According to rcp future president Desantis is up 51 to 41 over fried and 49 43 over Crist
DeathSantis is an excellent example of an extremist.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:35 am:)
Like Ralph Norman, Ron DeSantis is focused solely on stoking culture war wedge issues because it appeals to Confederate-flaggers like you.

When do the rest of you segregation-era culture warriors start up your old practice of beating and killing Black people for trying to register to vote?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

bird wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:37 am DeathSantis is an excellent example of an extremist.
Ron DeSantis is an old White Citizens Council type, following in the footsteps of White Citizens Council wedge-issue prince, Jesse Helms.

Social issues are the quick, easy, dirty, laziest way appeal to constituents like Confederate T-Shirt guy, who dutifully run out to the polling place to mash the button for it. :problem:

The best these predators have got is making a big show of suppressing the nation's most vulnerable populations -- undocumented immigrants, racial minorities, and the microscopic percentage of trans students in any given school district.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

Boy, you are getting way ahead of your skis, aren't you there, Skippy? :lol:
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I'm so glad that the Old Boy Network in SoCal no longer is determined by who lived on the Row at U$C. In fact, half the Greek houses recently dissociated from the university because they'd have to monitor their parties if they didn't. Of course, the operative phrase for many U$C students is still, "Do you know who my father is?"
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:32 am Boy, you are getting way ahead of your skis, aren't you there, Skippy? :lol:
He proves that full on fascism is what he wants.

Book burning, woke killing destupid...attacking LGBTQ etc. Board con is thrilled at the prospect.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

These conservative whites will gut you like a fish.

Starting with other so-called whites, starting with their own family members. :?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

Chuckle.... Skippy should be working at a 7-11.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:20 am … future president Desantis …
:lol: you stupid KKK 3.0 backlash politics hayseeds actually think you’re going to win something by banning books.

:lol:

A mom’s campaign to ban library books divided a Texas town — and her own family - NBC News

Conservative whites always start in on your own f’ed up families.

Thankfully, I’ll never have to be one.

~ Ida B. Wells