RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:29 am 
Policy Wonk

What started as one fire near Calistoga California has grown into a huge fire consuming thousands of acres in the heart of California's Wine Country.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/1 ... acuations/.

Kaiser Foundation Hopspital in Santa Rosa has been evcauated with patients being transferred Kaiser Hospital in San Rafael and other local hospitals.

The fire has jumped 101-N in Santa Rosa, blocking the freeway.

Firefighters have been unable to gauge the actual size of the fire and have been evacuation mode since 2:30AM.

Smoke from the fire(s) has reached San Francisco and Oakland.

No word on casualities as of yet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:13 am 
Board Emeritus

They're pretty big. I don't understand why the news paper is reporting that the firefighters have been unable to gauge the actual size of the fires, or why they are referring to them in the singular, as "fire."

There are four large fires in the Napa - Santa Rosa area. If one were to describe it as fires surrounding Sacramento, there are 7 large and 6 small fires in all.

They're relatively flat land fires, mostly grass and low vegetation. The here today gone tomorrow kind of fire. But they're quite dangerous in the moment.

The winds which kindled those fires also woke up the Empire fire to the east of me, it has been burning since last July. Those winds also have the tankers crews watering down hot spots 2 or 3 miles north of me, the remnant of the Detwiler fire still smoldering. Nothing shows on the satellite nor is smoke in the air. The water tanker truck traffic on our road has been constant for the last several days. They must be hauling in 40 or 50 loads of water into that area a day.

Here's the satellite view, it really is impressive in the Napa - Santa Rosa area: https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php? ... fire_3.txt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:17 am 
Board Emeritus

So awful.

Everybody down this way and in Oakland is talking about how the smoke smells as if the fires are right down the street. The scent woke me up this morning and I thought it was my building, that's how strong it is.

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:24 am 
Policy Wonk

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/2-bi ... 262945.php.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:12 pm 
Policy Wonk

Firefighters have been in evacuation mode, the size of the fire was difficult to gauge because it is not just one fire, but several fires. Evacuation's as far South as Rohnert Park with 101-N closed in Santa Rosa.

No confirmed injuries or deaths. Haze reaches as far as the Oakland Hills.

There was a "Red Flag" Alert (High Fire Danger) posted yesterday that was to last until 11:00 AM this morning .

At least 35,000 Acres have burned near Calistoga.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

The fire season in California is just beginning although in reality it is now a year long event. Here, in the San Diego area, we are expecting Sana Ana conditions meaning high winds, high temperatures, and low humidity. The humidity factor is crucial and we're expecting humidity in the single digit range for the inland (five miles from the coast) areas. I suspect by the end of the week we'll have a couple of small fires but not anything like the 2007 fires.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

I knew CA was having the dreaded Santa Ana winds while I was back here "enjoying" the hottest autumn on record and the post-tropical remnants of hurricane Nate. TV "news" here is pretty much useless, and much more interested in discarded drumpf wives mouthing off and some producer finally getting busted for forcing himself on half the females in The Industry (which everyone in This Town knew about already).

I did get from Internet that there are 14 separate fires N of SF and Sacramento, with "thousands" of structures destroyed, plus one very nasty one in the Anaheim Hills south of L.A..

There will be an economic hit on the CA wine industry.

It's all because of climate change, you know.

Last edited by ZoWie on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:48 pm 
Policy Wonk

At least 10-People are now confirmed dead.

7-Somoma.

2-Napa.

1-Mendecino.

15 small fires, whipped by high winds are burning out of control.

Governor has declared a disaster and fire departments from Marin, San Francisco, Oakland, and San Mateo are on the fire line right now.

The air outside is totally unhealthy, I received a emal from by my allergist telling me to stay in doors.

A presser is scheduled for 5:00 PM local time.

Last edited by marindem on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

California has that FIRESCOPE agreement, so you're going to start seeing firefighters coming in from all over the state. There's a scanner frequency that all the traveling FF's use on the road. Also there's a 747 being used as a tanker now, though I don't know if it's being authorized for fire fighting at the moment. When it was, it was spectacular.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

I knew CA was having the dreaded Santa Ana winds while I was back here "enjoying" the hottest autumn on record and the post-tropical remnants of hurricane Nate. TV "news" here is pretty much useless, and much more interested in discarded drumpf wives mouthing off and some producer finally getting busted for forcing himself on half the females in The Industry (which everyone in This Town knew about already).

I did get from Internet that there are 14 separate fires N of SF and Sacramento, with "thousands" of structures destroyed, plus one very nasty one in the Anaheim Hills south of L.A..

Now, now, you know better, Z. Climate change is a leftist, Chinese, tree-hugger, hippie, egghead plot. And all right, excuse me, alt-right thinking 'Muricans know it. Just ask the Cheeto-in-chief.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:20 am 
Board Emeritus

Just got word that the mother and brother of one of my closest friends has to evacuate. Fairfield, Solano County.

cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:25 pm 
Policy Wonk

Just got word that the mother and brother of one of my closest friends has to evacuate. Fairfield, Solano County.

Geez, hope they are safe.

Second day trapped inside because of the pollution from the fires. Looking out the study window, I cannot see 101-S, which I on a normal day could see. My neighbor down the street is on the fireline, he is a Oakland Firefighter. The local firehouse has sent two trucks to the fire and the Sausalito Fire Department is committing assets as well.

Keeping the people effected in my thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

The fires have names now, but no perimeters.

The one near Calistoga is the Tubbs fire. It started on highway 129 near Bennett lane.

The one near Santa Rosa is the Central LUN Complex fire. It started on Highway 12 and S E street right in the business area just off the north edge of the Sonoma county fair grounds.

The one between Santa Rosa and Napa is the Nuns fire. It started at highway 12 and Nuns canyon Rd.

Further toward Napa, west of Napa is the Partrick fire. (I checked, the spelling it is correct.) It started on the southern end of Partrick road.

The one east of Napa is the Southern LUN Complex fire. It appears to have started on highway 121 and Coombville Rd, right in the business district of Napa.

The one between Novato and Vallejo is the Thirty Seven fire. It started 200 yards south of Highway 37 along the Tubbs Island trailhead.

The one near Atlas is the Atlas fire.

The near Winters is the Winter fire.

Why the hell isn't the Thirty Seven fire named the Tubbs fire, it started on Tubbs Island trail head?

And why wasn't the Tubbs fire named the Bennett fire, there isn't anything on the map there named Tubbs?

The fire map has been being hard to view, the server appears to be overloaded. It glitched and became unresponsive before I could use it to look up the start locations for the Atlas and Winters fires.

Something I noticed, almost all of them started along highways. I would be looking for a fire bug. It looks like it might have been arson. Like someone might have been joy riding along highways lighting fires.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:52 pm 
Policy Wonk

It's being called the Wine Country Fire. All those folks who like the California Grape, will be hard up this year, the fires are devasting the Wine Industry.

Morning have casualty count at 11-Dead so far. Thousands are displaced and more shelters are opening.

According to news reports arson is not the cause, but it is early yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Good to hear from you. I know you live in CA but wasn't sure where.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's being called the Wine Country Fire. All those folks who like the California Grape, will be hard up this year, the fires are devasting the Wine Industry.

Morning have casualty count at 11-Dead so far. Thousands are displaced and more shelters are opening.

According to news reports arson is not the cause, but it is early yet.

The wine grape harvest was awful this year due to the heat we had this summer. Jokes about it being hard to make wine from raisins that sort of thing. Then they have the fire.

Table grapes are mostly grown south of me Fresno, Bakersfield, even Riverside. It was a bad crop year for them too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:06 am 
Board Emeritus

Geez, hope they are safe.

Second day trapped inside because of the pollution from the fires. Looking out the study window, I cannot see 101-S, which I on a normal day could see. My neighbor down the street is on the fireline, he is a Oakland Firefighter. The local firehouse has sent two trucks to the fire and the Sausalito Fire Department is committing assets as well.

Keeping the people effected in my thoughts.

Yes, they are both ok. Shaken, but ok. My friend's mom tried to return today but was turned back and is staying in the hotel a second night. It looks like the smoke is nearing her neighborhood but that was the last time she posted, which was early evening last night. My friend's brother tried to stick around the house until he coudln't anymore. He also is ok but really worried.

Also, my former roommate is in Santa Rosa. Her stuff was untouched and she's back home, but she posted some vids she took of driving through the city/county. The smoke in SF was a little better today, couldn't smell it as much and it was quite overcast-looking for much of the day yesterday. Eerie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:44 am 
Policy Wonk

Yes, they are both ok. Shaken, but ok. My friend's mom tried to return today but was turned back and is staying in the hotel a second night. It looks like the smoke is nearing her neighborhood but that was the last time she posted, which was early evening last night. My friend's brother tried to stick around the house until he coudln't anymore. He also is ok but really worried.

Also, my former roommate is in Santa Rosa. Her stuff was untouched and she's back home, but she posted some vids she took of driving through the city/county. The smoke in SF was a little better today, couldn't smell it as much and it was quite overcast-looking for much of the day yesterday. Eerie.

I am glad to know that they are safe. Looking the news last night it was just plain awfrul.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:25 am 
Board Emeritus

I've been looking at the satellite fire detection map this morning.

At 10:14 local time the Terra satellite in polar orbit made a pass and saw a fair amount of active burning along the eastern and northern edges of yesterdays burn areas.

At 2:27 AM local time the Aqua satellite made a pass. I only found one area of active burning east of Santa Rosa in a state park. I only found three isolated active spots on the complex east of Napa.

And in every case the second pass showed the fire falling back into itself, none of the two AM spots were on the leading edge of the activity shown at 10 PM. To some degree those fires are building their own fire lines to entrap themselves where they will die out.

The fire went to sleep during the wee hours last night. Firemen do not sleep during those hours. This doesn't mean they got it licked last night, but it sure is an encouraging sign.

It depends on today's afternoon winds.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:41 am 
Policy Wonk

As of this morning there are 23-Confirmed Dead. 285-People Are Reported Missing. 3,500-Homes and Businesses Destroyed. 22-Active Fires In California With Over 170,000 Total Acres Burned.

The Calistoga is under a Mandatory Evacuation Order.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/C ... 271036.php.

The air is to unhealthy to breath (I have not been outside since Sunday).

The smoke for the fires has reached San Jose California, over 100-Miles away.

Firefighting Units from Arizona and several other states are now on the fireline.

Three people have been arrested for looting.

No word on when the fires will be contained.

Last edited by marindem on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:02 am 
Board Emeritus

This year is La Nina on steroids. The unpleasant fact remains that climate change does not change the planet's various oscillations (yet), but it makes them bigger. We see that.

Everything's due to phenomenally warm water in the Atlantic. We see this on the charts. Last year, it was cooling rapidly by now. This year, it's flatlined at the summer temp, and it was extremely warm to begin with.

Anyone remember The Ridge off CA? It was an El Nino precursor and it extended the drought a couple of years longer. It's gone, but a similar feature now exists off the East Coast. It's changed everything. There's been no autumn in New York, where I am now. It's not as bad as L.A. (epic Santa Ana winds) and certainly not as apocalyptic as Napa-Sonoma (epic something or other winds). They're calling it "Augtober" though, and the Weather Channel says there's really nothing out there to change it much before Halloween.

Today's NYT also contains the tidbit that it's also the most favorable year for hurricane formation since the 19th century. It's due to The New Ridge again. Nothing to stop them forming. We had 10 straight develop into hurricanes. Not the record, but we're creeping up on it.

The New Ridge has also locked in a jet stream pattern that extends the strong winds typical of October-November in L.A. all the way up CA. This is called the longwave, and it's best visualized on the weather charts as a giant sine wave with the voltage node around the 4 Corners. It flips, back and forth, dip on one side, peak on the other. It's locked at dip in the west, peak in the east.

Have I reminded you yet today that it's all a Chinese hoax?

I did notice, though, that the 747 tanker is active, and on the fires. THAT must be something to see.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 am 
Board Emeritus

Oh, SoCal:

The closest fire to L.A. is the one down in the Anaheim Hills near Corona etc.

I expect this to change. The Santa Monica Mountains are due for a real nasty one, if not this year then eventually. The LAFD does an incredible job of knocking these down, but the worst case hasn't happened yet.

We live in the flats, where the problem is usually just ash all over everything and toxic air.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am 
Board Emeritus

As of this morning there are 23-Confirmed Dead. 285-People Are Reported Missing. 3,500-Homes and Businesses Destroyed. 22-Active Fires In Califonria With Over 170,000 Total Acres Burned.

The Calistoga is under a Mandatory Evacuation Order.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/C ... 271036.php.

The air is to unhealthy to breath (I have not been outside since Sunday).

The smoke for the fires has reached San Jose California, over 100-Miles away.

Firefighting Units from Arizona and several other states are now on the fireline.

Three people have been arrested for looting.

No word on when the fires will be contained.

Grass land fires become contained about the time they go out. They're flash fires which pretty much consume all the fuel available in a hour or two, and then move on.

Up here in the hills in the Merced river gorge in timber tangles we still have smoldering hot spots which wind can bring back to life from the fire two months ago.

Add another hundred miles beyond San Jose, the smoke settled in here yesterday and is pretty thick here this morning.

I had hoped the winds wouldn't be as bad yesterday. I hope for that today as well, but I often don't get what i hope for when it comes to weather. :|

Some of my relatives in other states apparently think California is some single small spot on the earth. I've been getting calls from some of them, ones who have not bothered to call for decades to see if we're dead. I say oh no that's not happening here, and I mention the miles away by which it's not happening here, and that number of miles is further than the lifetime travel distance they have ever experienced.

They can't seem to get it through their heads that such distances can and do exist.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 am 
Policy Wonk

PG&E Downed Powerlines Are Being Looked At As One Cause For Fires.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article ... ningreport.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:24 am 
Board Emeritus

This year is La Nina on steroids. The unpleasant fact remains that climate change does not change the planet's various oscillations (yet), but it makes them bigger. We see that.

Everything's due to phenomenally warm water in the Atlantic. We see this on the charts. Last year, it was cooling rapidly by now. This year, it's flatlined at the summer temp, and it was extremely warm to begin with.

Anyone remember The Ridge off CA? It was an El Nino precursor and it extended the drought a couple of years longer. It's gone, but a similar feature now exists off the East Coast. It's changed everything. There's been no autumn in New York, where I am now. It's not as bad as L.A. (epic Santa Ana winds) and certainly not as apocalyptic as Napa-Sonoma (epic something or other winds). They're calling it "Augtober" though, and the Weather Channel says there's really nothing out there to change it much before Halloween.

Today's NYT also contains the tidbit that it's also the most favorable year for hurricane formation since the 19th century. It's due to The New Ridge again. Nothing to stop them forming. We had 10 straight develop into hurricanes. Not the record, but we're creeping up on it.

The New Ridge has also locked in a jet stream pattern that extends the strong winds typical of October-November in L.A. all the way up CA. This is called the longwave, and it's best visualized on the weather charts as a giant sine wave with the voltage node around the 4 Corners. It flips, back and forth, dip on one side, peak on the other. It's locked at dip in the west, peak in the east.

Have I reminded you yet today that it's all a Chinese hoax?

I did notice, though, that the 747 tanker is active, and on the fires. THAT must be something to see.

I've seen it, it flew right over my house at a hundred feet elevation. We got it for three passes on a fire a few weeks ago. The day we got it was it's first full day in service. It had made a drop north of here in the morning, then it was sent here for the afternoon. It doused that fire before it got big. It saved the day and I was pretty pleased because my shop was only two or three miles away and the fire had been heading straight for it.