All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Lynching in American
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

A great new website:

KEY FINDINGS

1. Racial terror lynching was much more prevalent than previously reported. EJI researchers have documented several hundred more lynchings than the number identified in the most comprehensive work done on lynching to date. The extraordinary work of E.M. Beck and Stewart E. Tolnay provided an invaluable resource, as did the research collected at Tuskegee University in Tuskegee, Alabama. These sources are widely viewed asthe most comprehensive collection of research data on the subject of lynching in America. EJI conducted extensive analysis of these data as well as supplemental research and investigation of lynchings in each of the subject states. We reviewed local newspapers, historical archives, and court records; conducted interviews with local historians, survivors, and victims’ descendants; and exhaustively examined contemporaneously published reports in African American newspapers. EJI has documented 4084 racial terror lynchings in twelve Southern states between the end of Reconstruction in 1877 and 1950, which is at least 800 more lynchings in these states than previously reported. EJI has also documented more than 300 racial terror lynchings in other states during this time period.

2. Some states and counties were particularly terrifying places for African Americans and had dramatically higher rates of lynching than other states and counties we reviewed. Mississippi, Florida, Arkansas, and Louisiana had the highest statewide rates of lynching in the United States. Mississippi, Georgia, and Louisiana had the highest number of lynchings. Lafayette, Hernando, Taylor, and Baker counties in Florida; Early County, Georgia; Fulton County, Kentucky; and Lake and Moore Counties in Tennessee had the highest rates of terror lynchings in America. Phillips County, Arkansas; Lafourche and Tensas parishes in Louisiana; Leflore and Carroll counties in Mississippi; and New Hanover County, North Carolina, were sites of mass killings of African Americans in single-incident violence that mark them as notorious places in the history of racial terror violence. The largest numbers of lynchings were found in Jefferson County, Alabama; Orange, Columbia, and Polk counties in Florida; Fulton, Early, and Brooks counties in Georgia; Caddo, Ouachita, Bossier, Iberia, and Tangipahoa parishes in Louisiana; Hinds County, Mississippi; Shelby County, Tennessee; and Anderson County, Texas.

3. Racial terror lynching was a tool used to enforce laws and racial segregation—a tactic for maintaining racial control by victimizing the entire African American community, not merely punishment of an alleged perpetrator for a crime. Our research confirms that many victims of terror lynchings were murdered without being accused of any crime; they were killed for minor social transgressions or for demanding basic rights and fair treatment.

A big takeaway is to realize that there are NO historical markers of any kind on the lynching in America.

Post subject: Re: Lynching in American
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:49 am 
Board Emeritus

Yes the Slavery in America folks. Thanks for this link!

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hey! There's some good people there. Donnie said so.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:42 am 
Board Emeritus

A great new website:

KEY FINDINGS

1. Racial terror lynching was much more prevalent than previously reported. EJI researchers have documented several hundred more lynchings than the number identified in the most comprehensive work done on lynching to date. The extraordinary work of E.M. Beck and Stewart E. Tolnay provided an invaluable resource, as did the research collected at Tuskegee University in Tuskegee, Alabama. These sources are widely viewed asthe most comprehensive collection of research data on the subject of lynching in America. EJI conducted extensive analysis of these data as well as supplemental research and investigation of lynchings in each of the subject states. We reviewed local newspapers, historical archives, and court records; conducted interviews with local historians, survivors, and victims’ descendants; and exhaustively examined contemporaneously published reports in African American newspapers. EJI has documented 4084 racial terror lynchings in twelve Southern states between the end of Reconstruction in 1877 and 1950, which is at least 800 more lynchings in these states than previously reported. EJI has also documented more than 300 racial terror lynchings in other states during this time period.

2. Some states and counties were particularly terrifying places for African Americans and had dramatically higher rates of lynching than other states and counties we reviewed. Mississippi, Florida, Arkansas, and Louisiana had the highest statewide rates of lynching in the United States. Mississippi, Georgia, and Louisiana had the highest number of lynchings. Lafayette, Hernando, Taylor, and Baker counties in Florida; Early County, Georgia; Fulton County, Kentucky; and Lake and Moore Counties in Tennessee had the highest rates of terror lynchings in America. Phillips County, Arkansas; Lafourche and Tensas parishes in Louisiana; Leflore and Carroll counties in Mississippi; and New Hanover County, North Carolina, were sites of mass killings of African Americans in single-incident violence that mark them as notorious places in the history of racial terror violence. The largest numbers of lynchings were found in Jefferson County, Alabama; Orange, Columbia, and Polk counties in Florida; Fulton, Early, and Brooks counties in Georgia; Caddo, Ouachita, Bossier, Iberia, and Tangipahoa parishes in Louisiana; Hinds County, Mississippi; Shelby County, Tennessee; and Anderson County, Texas.

3. Racial terror lynching was a tool used to enforce laws and racial segregation—a tactic for maintaining racial control by victimizing the entire African American community, not merely punishment of an alleged perpetrator for a crime. Our research confirms that many victims of terror lynchings were murdered without being accused of any crime; they were killed for minor social transgressions or for demanding basic rights and fair treatment.

A big takeaway is to realize that there are NO historical markers of any kind on the lynching in America.

The fellow Bryan Stevenson who founded the organization who wrote the report you linked to is building a memorial to the victims of lynching. The Atlantic did an article about it and this report: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ng/540663/

They said it is under construction and will open next spring.

There's an official California State historical marker in Placerville CA marking the location of hangman's tree. It was a place where quite a number of lynchings occurred. The tree is gone. The marker is on main street in the middle of town. It's the only official historical marker of its kind I have ever seen. It doesn't list names or in anyway serve as a memorial to the victims.

I think I saw some kind of unofficial marker in San Francisco years ago near where the Oakland Bridge comes ashore which related to the vigilante hangings. It was like it was some kind of a tourist business oriented sign. And I think it is long gone because I didn't see it last time I lived and worked there several years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:02 pm 
Policy Wonk

Unfortunately, Here on Long Island there has been a resurgence of the KKK. Fliers have been left in several towns, some for recruiting, some for stirring up resentment toward the black and minority population. I've tried researching the history of the klan on LI, but could only come up with some references from the 20's far up the island; I know that here on the east end there was a large contingent, many members of which were active in the community as law enforcement and firefighters... and when I was a kid, I knew of at least 3 people who were kkk members- two of which were in the local fire department. In the past in one of the hamptons, there were rumors that the local FD would condemn homes that were rented by black families, and the town was known for not having any blacks within its borders. I don't know of any lynchings, but then again, just finding info is almost impossible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Unfortunately, Here on Long Island there has been a resurgence of the KKK. Fliers have been left in several towns, some for recruiting, some for stirring up resentment toward the black and minority population. I've tried researching the history of the klan on LI, but could only come up with some references from the 20's far up the island; I know that here on the east end there was a large contingent, many members of which were active in the community as law enforcement and firefighters... and when I was a kid, I knew of at least 3 people who were kkk members- two of which were in the local fire department. In the past in one of the hamptons, there were rumors that the local FD would condemn homes that were rented by black families, and the town was known for not having any blacks within its borders. I don't know of any lynchings, but then again, just finding info is almost impossible.

Where I live it is not as much about the KKK as it is about groups like The Sons of the Confedracy. Who aren't nearly,as blatant about their racism.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

glenfs wrote:
Where I live it is not as much about the KKK as it is about groups like The Sons of the Confedracy. Who aren't nearly,as blatant about their racism.

But like Paula Dean or Marge Schott, just as impalpable. One in the same in their words and actions.

Sent from my Moto X using Forum Runner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:52 am 
Board Emeritus

Just to show treason and racism are everywhere I was driving through a residential neighborhood in Rochester, NY on my way to a restaurant last night when I saw a home with its garage door open and lights on in the garage. There tacked up on the wall was a Confederate battle flag.

If you fly or display a confederate flag of any kind you support treason and racism, period.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:40 am 
Board Emeritus

Just to show treason and racism are everywhere I was driving through a residential neighborhood in Rochester, NY on my way to a restaurant last night when I saw a home with its garage door open and lights on in the garage. There tacked up on the wall was a Confederate battle flag.

If you fly or display a confederate flag of any kind you support treason and racism, period.

A number of years ago there was a fake RW news site called Israeli Insider. That was during the early birther period. I tracked it down by IP reverse lookup, and then I looked up the address in Google Earth, its address wasn't in Israel, it was a brick house in a residential neighborhood in Rochester, NY.

It had a garage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:27 am 
Board Emeritus

The Sons of the Confederacy...the United Daughter of the Confederacy...every stinking neo-confederate proponent of "lost cause" historical revisionism pissing and moaning about objections to monuments to racism...is no less a blatant racist than some disgusting asshole Klan member or some idiot Nazi marching around with his fucking tiki torch. It's a culture war for the soul of this country glen...and you need to decide which side you're on. There's no middle ground in this. Just ask Heather Heyer...oh wait...you can't, she was crushed to fucking death by one of your not as blatant racist friends.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

The fellow Bryan Stevenson who founded the organization who wrote the report you linked to is building a memorial to the victims of lynching. The Atlantic did an article about it and this report: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ng/540663/

They said it is under construction and will open next spring.

There's an official California State historical marker in Placerville CA marking the location of hangman's tree. It was a place where quite a number of lynchings occurred. The tree is gone. The marker is on main street in the middle of town. It's the only official historical marker of its kind I have ever seen. It doesn't list names or in anyway serve as a memorial to the victims.

I think I saw some kind of unofficial marker in San Francisco years ago near where the Oakland Bridge comes ashore which related to the vigilante hangings. It was like it was some kind of a tourist business oriented sign. And I think it is long gone because I didn't see it last time I lived and worked there several years ago.

Yes and it will surprise absolutely no one that out this way, conservative whites lynched each other and those of Mexican descent.

The Lynching of Persons of Mexican Origin or Descent in the United States, 1848 to 1928 - William D. Carrigan and Clive Webb, Journal of Social History Oxford U.P., 2003 (pdf)

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 pm 
Policy Wonk

Auto worker's black-history quilt memorializes 5,000 souls lost to lynch mobs in U.S.

Quote:
April Shipp's named her black-history quilt "Strange Fruit" and topped it with two full-size hangman nooses.

The quilter's fabric is soft, her stitches shine with golden thread and the setting for seeing her handiwork is the stillness of a church.

Yet, viewers can't help but be jarred because, attached to the top of this 10- by 10-foot piece of black cloth, a pair of full-sized hang nooses seem to leer in bitter tribute to the countless African-Americans who died at the hands of lynch mobs.

Beneath the nooses, quilter April Shipp from suburban Detroit stitched thousands of names of African Americans, all known to have lost their lives to mobs, most on the end of a hang noose, some by other means including being tied to a tree and burned alive. Shipp did the research, extracting names that she calls “my 5,000 souls” from news stories about each murder, compiled by historians in books she acquired.............