Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Death Panel for baby
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now we'll see how pro-life you conservatives REALLY are. Via Daily Beast, here's the health care system you defend:

The letter from the insurance company is addressed to Connor Richardson, age nine months, who is presently being treated for a rare and aggressive brain cancer.

October 11, 2017

Dear Connor Richardson,

As HIP Health Plan of New York, we try hard to provide you with access to quality health care services that meet your needs. When we decide to deny coverage for treatment or service, we want to make sure you know why…

We look over the clinical and medical information given to us and check the criteria, guidelines and the rules of your health coverage policy to make our decision.

When we reviewed the information given to us about this request, we have decided to deny coverage of the following medical service(s) or item(s) that you or your provider asked for: Inpatient Hospitalization to St. Jude Hospital from 10/4/2017-10/10/2017. We have determined that the service(s) are not medically necessary.

This letter is your Initial Adverse Determination. This means we are denying your quest for coverage of the requested service(s).

Post subject: Re: Death Panel for baby
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:34 pm 
Political Junkie

“Your child is a 9 month old boy who was diagnosed with a high grade brain tumor. Your child was treated with surgical removal of his tumor at Stony brook Hospital. After your son was discharged you enrolled him in a clinical trial at St. Jude’s hospital. The principal investigator has requested medications including methotrexate, cisplatin, cyclophosphamide, vincristine in combination with an investigational medication, alisertib. This combination of medications is not the standard of care for this type of cancer, and is considered experimental and investigational at this time, as evidence-based guidelines do not exist to confirm its effectiveness for his brain tumor. Therefore, this request for clinical trial treatment at St. Jude’s hospital is not medically necessary and is denied.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/dear-baby ... -is-denied

i dunno fer sure but i've been led to believe that most all (if not all) clinical trials (which seems to be the case) are not covered by insurance companies. It's the hospitals or drug manufacturers that bear the brunt of costs in double blind studies to establish a new protocol in treating diseases. St. Jude's more than likely knew the drugs involved were "off target" and were not at all surprised that the insurance company denied the claim.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

“Your child is a 9 month old boy who was diagnosed with a high grade brain tumor. Your child was treated with surgical removal of his tumor at Stony brook Hospital. After your son was discharged you enrolled him in a clinical trial at St. Jude’s hospital. The principal investigator has requested medications including methotrexate, cisplatin, cyclophosphamide, vincristine in combination with an investigational medication, alisertib. This combination of medications is not the standard of care for this type of cancer, and is considered experimental and investigational at this time, as evidence-based guidelines do not exist to confirm its effectiveness for his brain tumor. Therefore, this request for clinical trial treatment at St. Jude’s hospital is not medically necessary and is denied.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/dear-baby ... -is-denied

i dunno fer sure but i've been led to believe that most all (if not all) clinical trials (which seems to be the case) are not covered by insurance companies. It's the hospitals or drug manufacturers that bear the brunt of costs in double blind studies to establish a new protocol in treating diseases. St. Jude's more than likely knew the drugs involved were "off target" and were not at all surprised that the insurance company denied the claim.

The insurance company has falsely characterized the claim.

And the insurance companies use these dodges all the time. Back in my old shop, we had to get the state insurance commissioner involved several times when the insurance company tried to use such a false characterization to get out of paying a claim.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

We have death panels every day thanks to insurance companies. My youngest just this month had to have her Dr change an R/X he had written for her, because the insurance wouldn't pay for it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:54 pm 
Political Junkie

The insurance company has falsely characterized the claim.

And the insurance companies use these dodges all the time. Back in my old shop, we had to get the state insurance commissioner involved several times when the insurance company tried to use such a false characterization to get out of paying a claim.

My guess, this drug here is the deal killer.

Alisertib (MLN8237) is an orally available selective aurora A kinase inhibitor developed by Takeda.[1] It was investigated as a treatment for relapsed or refractory peripheral T-cell lymphoma.[2][3] Development was abandoned in 2015 due to poor clinical trial results.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alisertib

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now we'll see how pro-life you conservatives REALLY are. Via Daily Beast, here's the health care system you defend:

The letter from the insurance company is addressed to Connor Richardson, age nine months, who is presently being treated for a rare and aggressive brain cancer.

October 11, 2017

Dear Connor Richardson,

As HIP Health Plan of New York, we try hard to provide you with access to quality health care services that meet your needs. When we decide to deny coverage for treatment or service, we want to make sure you know why…

We look over the clinical and medical information given to us and check the criteria, guidelines and the rules of your health coverage policy to make our decision.

When we reviewed the information given to us about this request, we have decided to deny coverage of the following medical service(s) or item(s) that you or your provider asked for: Inpatient Hospitalization to St. Jude Hospital from 10/4/2017-10/10/2017. We have determined that the service(s) are not medically necessary.

This letter is your Initial Adverse Determination. This means we are denying your quest for coverage of the requested service(s).

The pro-life conservatives I know are dealing with it by ignoring the story you have GoUnion and talking about this British Torygraph story instead:

NHS provokes fury with indefinite surgery ban for smokers and obese

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10 ... ers-obese/

Quote:
The NHS will ban patients from surgery indefinitely unless they lose weight or quit smoking, under controversial plans drawn up in Hertfordshire.

The restrictions - thought to be the most extreme yet to be introduced by health services - immediately came under attack from the Royal College of Surgeons.

Its vice president called for an “urgent rethink” of policies which he said were “discriminatory” and went against the fundamental principles of the NHS.

The story goes on outlining and highlighting the new rules, drawn up by clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) in Hertfordshire. While glossing over several really important details with regard to who and what the clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) in Hertfordshire are, and who and what they are not.

They are not the NHS. That detail is important because the NHS will NOT be banning patients from surgery indefinitely unless they lose weight or quit smoking.

What those clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) in Hertfordshire are, are similar to local hospital boards in the US, and while they do provide for the local administration of about 600 million pounds of the NHS budget. The full NHS budget is about 120 billion pounds.

And with regard to who the clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) in Hertfordshire are, they are Tories, Conservatives. The Hertfordshire area is a few miles north of London and it is a Conservative strong hold. They have four seats in Parliament and all of them are Conservatives. They are NOT liberals.

It's also pretty clear that these local commissioning groups are not going to have their way.

When I saw this story I saw it with the heading "NHS Bans Surgery For Smokers and Obese - Coming to Healthcare Near You!" Then I read all about what those awful liberals were setting about to do.

Conservatives here are using what Conservatives there have ginned up to further their doggy "DEATH PANEL" meme, and it turns out it's Conservatives are the ones doing it.

That defines Clinical Psychological Projection, in which persons defend themselves against their own impulses by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:59 pm 
Policy Wonk

Let's hear for the Right to Life.