RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:59 pm 
Policy Wonk

dont think trump cares so much about this type of thing or the good that comes from it

Quote:
.......By the most conservative estimate, the more than 21,000 refugees resettled into Wayne, Oakland, Macomb and Washtenaw counties since 2006 are generating $229 million in economic activity and 1,798 new jobs every year. When more optimistic multipliers are factored in, the estimates grow to $295 million and 2,311 jobs.
Three-fifths of the region's refugee households own their own businesses; 39% own two business or more.
Refugees are more likely to be college-educated and self-employed than their native-born Michigan neighbors.
After 25 years of residency, the income of the average refugee household eclipses that of the average U.S. household.........

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:27 pm 
Policy Wonk

furthering the white nationalist agenda

Ice arrests deports undocumented mexican immigrant who helped cops

Quote:
......"They just said, 'We have to take your dad,' " 10-year-old Randy Lopez-Mulato recalled of the incident, his voice quivering as he remembered his dad's final words as the agents led him away.

"He said that he loves everybody," the fifth-grader said, unable to hold back the tears.

"I want him to come back," Randy said. "He takes care of our family."

On Oct. 23, five days after his arrest, Lopez-Mulato was deported........

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

If they can do so well, why can't people who are born and raised there make do.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:06 am 
Policy Wonk

probably not enough immigration there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:33 am 
Board Emeritus

Not enough immigration there, and not enough migration from there. The place had grown stagnate when I was there in 72. Its clearly grown worse since.

Every time during my life when I migrated to somewhere else some aspect of my life improved. It tempers a person and with each move there is a new beginning. It expands lifes experiences and with that the ability to adapt and overcome and prosper.

For instance Flint and it's people would be vastly more able to prosper if there were half as many of them there, and the ones who migrated to other places would be more likely prosper too. A few new people coming in as others leave helps too.

Detroit may well be a place which needs a third fewer people. Detroit was once a good place to go to, now it's a darned good place to leave. The world is that way.

That's why I support open borders and immigration. Because I support migration. So that these population adjustments can be made. Life on Earth is a pot which needs to be constantly stirred. More that just Genetics insist on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:52 am 
Policy Wonk

Sam Lefthand wrote:
Not enough immigration there, and not enough migration from there. The place had grown stagnate when I was there in 72. Its clearly grown worse since.

Every time during my life when I migrated to somewhere else some aspect of my life improved. It tempers a person and with each move there is a new beginning. It expands lifes experiences and with that the ability to adapt and overcome and prosper.

For instance Flint and it's people would be vastly more able to prosper if there were half as many of them there, and the ones who migrated to other places would be more likely prosper too. A few new people coming in as others leave helps too.

Detroit may well be a place which needs a third fewer people. Detroit was once a good place to go to, now it's a darned good place to leave. The world is that way.

That's why I support open borders and immigration. Because I support migration. So that these population adjustments can be made. Life on Earth is a pot which needs to be constantly stirred. More that just Genetics insist on it.

Flint needs a migration of workers to come in and change out the lead pipes that are still tainting their water, Detroit is long past its needing of fewer people and is engaged in regular intervals of forced migration of its poorest residents already.

Wayne County's tax foreclosure auction just doesn't make sense | Kaffer

Quote:
Wayne County’s annual tax foreclosure auction is a crisis of epic proportions in the truest sense of those overused words, an annual mass-eviction event that, best case scenario, boots out hundreds of homeowners. In, naturally, a city that’s struggled to stop a headlong population decline.

And it is really hard to understand why, years after we’ve understood the profound harm caused by the auction, it is not an all-hands-on-deck kind of event, a let’s-move-heaven-and-earth kind of event, a let’s-not-leave-money-on-the-table kind of event.

Continuing to hold this auction does not make sense. It damages the cohesion of neighborhoods. It favors investors over homeowners. It deteriorates the core of investment that makes the word "community" mean something, and for precious little financial recompense.

And yet.

This weekend, word seeped out that the Wayne County Treasurer’s Office had passed up an opportunity to help hundreds of families reclaim the homes they’d lost to foreclosure. ......

There was one city that had 100% migration after it was discovered that the waste bi product of agent orange was being mixed with oil and sprayed on the dirt roads to keep them from dusting up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX81IA9nsaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV3QaTvGVE0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

You have to look at the situations of the two groups; those who immigrated here and those who are native. The immigrant, in this case, the refugees basically have nothing so they can see opportunities whereas the natives are comfortably ensconced in their lives so their perception of opportunities are narrowly focused.

The immigrant sees the area they are living in with new eyes observing not only the people but what people have, don't have, need, or want and they recognize there is an opportunity to fill niche in an under-served/underutilized market. The native is used to the conditions in his neighborhood and more concerned about their job, home, and family than what the needs of the community are so they may not recognize an under-served/underutilized market niche.

It's similar to a person who has lived in one place for many years and moves away. They return after a couple of years and they notice things they hadn't known about when they had lived there. They're seeing things with a "new pair of eyes" much like the immigrant does.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:46 pm 
Policy Wonk

How America's Idea Of Illegal Immigration Doesn't Always Match Reality

Quote:
When you think of illegal immigration in the U.S., do you picture a border crosser or a visa overstayer? A family or a single person? A farmworker or a waiter?

People living in the U.S. without legal status are frequently invoked in American politics — especially in recent months. But the conversation is often short on facts about the millions of people who fall into this category.

There are, however, outdated beliefs: A Pew Research Center survey in 2015 found that very few Americans are aware of recent changes in immigration patterns.......

Treatment of immigrants in Mexico much worse than any other country

Quote:
Hernandez Martinez came to Mexico to escape a brutal drug cartel in Honduras, but his treatment in Mexico isn't much better. On May 30, local police robbed him and then threw him and five other migrants from Central America off of a moving train in this town about 100 miles northeast of Mexico City.

"The police took all the money I was carrying," the 41-year-old woodcutter said of the $120 he had borrowed from several relatives to make the journey. "Now I don’t have a penny. There is nothing to go back to." Martinez said four other Hondurans he was traveling with had been taken away earlier in Oaxaca, south of here, by local gang members "in front of (Mexican) authorities."

While Mexican politicians complain about the mistreatment of Mexican immigrants fleeing to the United States, Mexico is far more abusive toward Central and South American migrants like Martinez who seek asylum or want to pass through to the U.S., human rights groups allege.

Many of the tens of thousands of refugees fleeing violence in their home countries, "are routinely preyed upon by both criminal organizations and corrupt government officials in Mexico," the Washington Office on Latin America, a non-profit rights group, said in a report issued in May.

Martinez said he fled Honduras after a notorious local cartel, the Cachiros, killed his three younger brothers when they refused to work for them. He said his starving family was counting on him to send money once he got to the U.S. and found work.

"My family has not eaten a cooked meal in months because there is no job except working for the cartel," he said. "There is no wood to cut. There are no farms left to work in because of the droughts. There is no water in the homes.".............

Mexico has its own immigration problem: American retirees

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Mexico

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:03 am 
Board Emeritus

I posted this information a while back, but it continues to be relevant. It's from Cato, so it's the libertarians...but it remains the most complete and broad study of terrorism and immigration ever done. The data is mostly from Rand, and it goes all the way back to 1975.

Please note from the graphic below, all refugees are banned to keep us safe, while the truth is, yes Mildred, the odds of one of us having been murdered by a refugee in an identified terrorist act over the past 40 years has been one in 3.6 billion. There are only 320 million of us.

And only one in 10.9 billion killed by an illegal immigrant terrorist.

It's not just that it's religious discrimination, or ethnic discrimination, or discrimination by nationality. It's that the whole thing is fear mongering and a fucking lie.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:05 pm 
Policy Wonk

splintering families doesnt make us safer and dont know anyone who would like this for their own family.

Southgate man says Immigration is forcing him to leave his seriously ill wife

Quote:
Right now a woman is in the hospital facing complications from a disease she fears will take her life. Her husband is by her side, but not for long. He is about to be deported.

“It is very very hard,” said Ded Rranxburgaj of his situation.

He showed 7 Action News the ticket he hoped he wouldn’t have to buy. It is a plane ticket that will take him back to Albania on his deadline for deportation in January.

The Southgate man had to show it to Immigration and Customs Enforcement Officials this week or face arrest.

His wife Flora Rranxburgaj is ill in the hospital with a serious infection. She spoke to 7 Action News in October.

She said she and her husband came to America in 2001 hoping to be granted asylum after suffering religious persecution. Then she got sick with multiple sclerosis.

In 2009 they learned they would not be given asylum. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement officials allowed the family to stay for humanitarian reasons due to her illness.

In the meantime, she suffered a stroke and become sicker than ever. Now her husband is being told he has to leave the country by .........

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:14 pm 
Policy Wonk

they say Ice is disturbed but what exactly does that mean, would be more accurate to cite a specific person wouldnt it?

ICE 'deeply disturbed' by court ruling favoring Iraqi detainees

Quote:
Immigration authorities are lashing out at a federal judge in Detroit over his decision to grant bond hearings to hundreds of Iraqi detainees who are locked up in detention centers or jail, awaiting deportation.

In his Tuesday ruling, U.S. District Judge Mark Goldsmith concluded the detainees deserve the right to seek freedom while their cases wind their way through the courts, and that locking them up indefinitely with no hearing is unconstitutional.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said they would abide by the ruling — but vow an appeal.

"ICE is deeply disturbed by the decision, but will comply with the decision unless and until it is reversed by an appellate court,” the agency said in a prepared statement Wednesday.

At issue is the fate of about 300 Iraqi immigrants who were arrested during a federal roundup last year and locked up in jails or detention centers in about two dozen states. The detainees include 114 Iraqi immigrants with criminal records who were arrested in Michigan in June. More than 1,400 Iraqis in total across the country face deportation................

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

they say Ice is disturbed but what exactly does that mean, would be more accurate to cite a specific person wouldnt it?

ICE 'deeply disturbed' by court ruling favoring Iraqi detainees

Citing a specific person would be ideal but perhaps we're dealing with a group mindset, or mindlessness amoung a group. They sound like they're made of ice, and that suggests mindlessness.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

on the 7-11 raids

White House wages war on Michigan's most vulnerable immigrants

Quote:
..........Wednesday's 7-Eleven raids yielded the arrests of 22 employees suspected of being in the U.S. illegally, including one unidentified Michigan resident . A spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the federal agency that carried out the raids, said those arrested will face deportation proceedings in U.S. Immigration Court.

If you weren't keen to the threat Salvadorans, Chaldeans and 7-Eleven clerks of every nationality pose to the American way of life, it's not because you missed some explanatory news event; it's because the threat exists primarily in the paranoiac imagination of propagandists like White House immigration adviser Stephen Miller and exiled aide Steve Bannon. In reality, no one has made a case that any of these immigrant populations imperil the jobs, security or prosperity of native-born Americans.

Nearly as preposterous is the administration's assertion that real target of the 7-Eleven raids were businesses that hire and employ an illegal workforce.

In a statement denying its own responsibility for any violations, 7-Eleven insisted that any undocumented immigrants swept up in Wednesday's dragnet were hired by "independent franchisees" who ignored 7-Eleven's policy of scrupulous compliance with federal immigration law. Some of those franchisees will doubtless face fines arising from their violations, and a handful may even go to prison. But few will pay a higher price than the deportations their undocumented employees face.

Red meat and red herrings
So let's not pretend that arresting a few desperate convenience store clerks is an ominous shot across the bow of industries that depend on undocumented labor. As in previous raids, the real objective was to convince Trump's beleaguered supporters that immigrants, not federal policies, pose the biggest threat to their economic security.

Allusions to 20th Century fascism are almost always exaggerated. But only those who lack any familiarity with its origins can pretend that this administration's unrelenting demonization of immigrants owes nothing to that dark precedent.

If we believe in America's capacity to distill strength from diversity, and if the hard-working men and women of ICE hope to represent something nobler than fear and bigotry, we must continue to call these strikes on vulnerable immigrants what they are — acts of state-sponsored terror, cynically calculated to distract and divide constituencies who share almost everything but a common national birthplace.

Compassion and fair play are values integral to our national identity — and Americans ought to defend them as passionately as we defend our borders.............

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 am 
Board Emeritus

I've been in the back rooms, basements, and on the roof of a lot of bay area 7-11 stores. I bet I've been in most of them.

I liked most of the owners and most of their personnel. Going to a 7-11 store was like visiting another country. Japan, India, Pakistan, all parts of the Middle East.

With the good there was bad. In the bay area there were two owners who each owned two stores. There were quite a few owners who owned several stores, but these two I suspected were engaging in human trafficking, and slavery.

More than likely there are a hundred 7-11 stores across the country which if they were raided it might be a good thing. But I doubt that the hundred stores they raided yesterday were those hundred stores.

I didn't read about 22 store owners being arrested.

:|

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:58 pm 
Policy Wonk

After 30 years in U.S., metro Detroit immigrant deported to Mexico

Quote:
After 30 years of living in the U.S, a 39-year-old Lincoln Park man was deported this morning from Detroit Metro Airport to Mexico as family and friends wiped away tears.

Jorge Garcia was brought to the U.S. by undocumented family members when he was 10 years old. Today the landscaper has a wife and two children,, all of whom are U.S. citizens.

In the past, Garcia, a child of undocumented immigrants, would have been allowed to stay in the U.S. But because of the Trump administration's crackdown on immigration, in November Garcia was ordered to return to Mexico. His supporters say he has no criminal record and paid taxes.

Nevertheless, Garcia had to be removed, said Immigration and Customs Enforcement. On Monday morning, accompanied by ICE agents at Detroit Metro Airport, Garcia went through security as supporters around him held up signs that read, "Stop Separating Families."

"We love you, Jorge," said Mayra Valle of Detroit as Garcia hugged his wife and children. "They're a good family, they're hard-working. ... This is so sad. This is outrageous. We never expected this would happen."

Garcia's case is the latest example of immigrants who previously would have been allowed to remain in the U.S., but not now as the U.S. seeks to remove more immigrants. Garcia is too old to qualify for DACA, which allows the children of undocumented immigrants to legally work and study in the U.S............

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:32 pm 
Policy Wonk

pretty good opinion piece on this from Rochelle Riley.

Rochelle Riley: Jorge Garcia, model husband and dad, wasn't deported; he was sentenced

Quote:
.............Jorge Garcia had never even had a traffic ticket. But because Donald Trump has convinced Americans — you know, the ones who think they’re perfect, who think their children are perfect and whose idea of perfection doesn’t include diversity — that foreigners are bad for our country, people like Jorge Garcia become victims.

Trump, who said last week that America should want immigrants from places like Norway rather than Haiti, has made his bigotry against immigrants known. And no case makes the heartbreaking truth clearer than this one.

Garcia, a 39-year-old landscaper, who hasn’t lived in Mexico since he was 10, and who was brought to this country by an undocumented relative, was deported simply because he was a target of bigoted policies hastily drawn. Now, his family will suffer while some people will cheer.

Except the word isn’t deported. The word is exiled. No, the word is sentenced.

Garcia may be barred from entering the U.S. for at least 10 years, his wife told the Free Press.

That is a prison sentence.

Shame on us.

Shame on an America that would allow what the Republican Party and its leader are doing to the very fabric of our country.............

more at link

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

Protesters stage sit-in supporting DACA at Debbie Stabenow's office in Detroit

Quote:
Dozens of protesters marched to U. S Sen. Debbie Stabenow’s office in downtown Detroit on Wednesday morning calling on the Democratic lawmaker to reject a budget agreement on Friday if the deal doesn't include a “clean” Dream Act, a proposed bill that would grant permanent resident status to undocumented immigrants who arrived as children.

The demonstrators held signs that read "Will trade racists for Dreamers," "This is what America looks like," and chanted "What do we want? DACA! When do we want it? Now!" to the beat of drums, a cow bell, and tambourine as they walked a bitter cold route that began at the Central United Methodist Church on East Adams and Woodward, and ended in the lobby of the Chrysler House, the downtown Detroit building where Stabenow’s southeast Michigan office is located.

Congress is in the midst of a showdown over the latest spending bill, and according to the Pew Research Center, a failure to enact it could cause "big chunks of the federal government to shut down."

One of the issues at the center of this showdown are the children of undocumented immigrants, recipients of DACA, an executive order that stands for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, and allows some children of undocumented immigrants to legally work and study in the U.S.......................

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:05 pm 
Policy Wonk

Ripped apart by deportation of dad, the Garcia family struggles to cope

Quote:
Without Jorge Garcia, her husband and the father of her two children, home doesn't feel the same for Cindy Garcia.

"It's empty," Garcia of Lincoln Park said Friday while sitting at the kitchen dining table of her mother's home.

"The house is completely empty. We walk in, and it's not the same. We're always looking at the door, waiting for him to come through from work, and he's not going to come through.

"It's even affected my dog," said Garcia, a medically retired Dearborn truck plant worker. "My dog looks at us, and he's just laying by my feet like he knows something's missing, but he can't figure it out."

Jorge Garcia was deported to Mexico on Monday, after living in the U.S. for 30 years. Brought to the U.S. by undocumented family members at the age of 10, Jorge Garcia has lived his entire adult life in the U.S.

His story garnered national attention after the Free Press first chronicled the emotional separation of the family just after 6 a.m. on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Day in Detroit Metro Airport...............