How long before this hits the Supreme Court?

News and events of the day
gounion

Re: How long before this hits the Supreme Court?

Post by gounion »

The crazed nutjobs on the right will make a decision based upon who is President. If it’s a dem, they’ll uphold it, if it’s a Republican, they’ll knock it down.

But this is the most insane decision I’ve seen in a long time, and is just an anti-Biden decision, not one based upon the Constitution and understanding of our modern society.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

It takes a set amount of time for plaintiffs with standing to have cases adjudicated by lower courts and then be taken up by the appellate system. This is still as glacial a process as ever. The fast track is still measured in years.

What has gotten me so on about the SCOTUS this year is that some matters which were said to be "settled law" in confirmation hearings before Congress turned out to be very much on the table once the resulting justices were confirmed and seated. Where I come from, even though it's the glitter and fakery capital of the universe, that's called lying. Also at least one case that is clearly lacking in standing and gravitas was taken up and used as judicial activism. You can't base a political crusade on countering "liberal judicial activism" with sound, reasoned decisions, and then go off and just do activism of your own, then blow town for the summer, ta ta.

The unpleasant facts of the matter continue to be that judicial activism is by design out of step with whatever the discourse is at the time when decisions finally work their way all the way through the system. It can lead, like the Warren Court, or lag, like this one. Either way, it's going to piss a lot of people off.

Then add to that the total politicization of the system. The people who run the Congress wait for the past leadership's candidates to get old and die, then they strike down every nominee who isn't approved by the Establishment power brokers of that time until they get one who will do their agenda while insisting they (pronoun) do not have an agenda. I cannot believe that the Federalists ever envisioned such a result.

It's a strange way to run a country.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

ZoWie wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:15 am It takes a set amount of time for plaintiffs with standing to have cases adjudicated by lower courts and then be taken up by the appellate system. This is still as glacial a process as ever. The fast track is still measured in years.

What has gotten me so on about the SCOTUS this year is that some matters which were said to be "settled law" in confirmation hearings before Congress turned out to be very much on the table once the resulting justices were confirmed and seated. Where I come from, even though it's the glitter and fakery capital of the universe, that's called lying. Also at least one case that is clearly lacking in standing and gravitas was taken up and used as judicial activism. You can't base a political crusade on countering "liberal judicial activism" with sound, reasoned decisions, and then go off and just do activism of your own, then blow town for the summer, ta ta.

The unpleasant facts of the matter continue to be that judicial activism is by design out of step with whatever the discourse is at the time when decisions finally work their way all the way through the system. It can lead, like the Warren Court, or lag, like this one. Either way, it's going to piss a lot of people off.

Then add to that the total politicization of the system. The people who run the Congress wait for the past leadership's candidates to get old and die, then they strike down every nominee who isn't approved by the Establishment power brokers of that time until they get one who will do their agenda while insisting they (pronoun) do not have an agenda. I cannot believe that the Federalists ever envisioned such a result.

It's a strange way to run a country.
This one is already being appealed by the administration. And the SC has been fast tracking those first amendment cases. At the latest 2025. And quite possibly 2024. However, if the government looses on appeal it may never appear.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The fast track still doesn't arrive in a timely manner. Thank whatever your higher power may be that the legal system is not timely. We'd be in worse trouble if it was.

Whatever happened to that blindfold on the head of that justice lady with the scales? Even some decisions that I agree with have me feeling dizzy. It's still a weird way to run a country.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22