Texas law - why I'll NEVER vote GOP!

News and events of the day
gounion

Texas law - why I'll NEVER vote GOP!

Post by gounion »

The GOP is simply inhuman. Pro-life? Bullshit! https://www.texastribune.org/2023/06/16 ... n-workers/
In a week when parts of the state are getting triple-digit temperatures and weather officials urge Texans to stay cool and hydrated, Gov. Greg Abbott gave final approval to a law that will eliminate local rules mandating water breaks for construction workers.

House Bill 2127 was passed by the Texas Legislature during this year’s regular legislative session. Abbott signed it Tuesday. It will go into effect on Sept. 1.

Supporters of the law have said it will eliminate a patchwork of local ordinances across the state that bog down businesses. The law’s scope is broad but ordinances that establish minimum breaks in the workplace are one of the explicit targets. The law will nullify ordinances enacted by Austin in 2010 and Dallas in 2015 that established 10-minute breaks every four hours so that construction workers can drink water and protect themselves from the sun. It also prevents other cities from passing such rules in the future. San Antonio has been considering a similar ordinance.

Texas is the state where the most workers die from high temperatures, government data shows. At least 42 workers died in Texas between 2011 and 2021 from environmental heat exposure, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Workers’ unions claim this data doesn’t fully reflect the magnitude of the problem because heat-related deaths are often recorded under a different primary cause of injury.
Fuck Republicans. They're the party of death.
bradman

Re: Texas law - why I'll NEVER vote GOP!

Post by bradman »

Having worked my whole life in the outdoors, heat stroke is something that should not be fucked with.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:37 pm Having worked my whole life in the outdoors, heat stroke is something that should not be fucked with.
And yet that's EXACTLY what the GOP fucks with. But that's what the GOP is all about - war on working people.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

bradman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:37 pm Having worked my whole life in the outdoors, heat stroke is something that should not be fucked with.
Back in the early 80s, we were transferring a field hospital from George AFB (Victorville, Ca) to Luke AFB outside Phoenix, Az. This was in the middle of summer when the temperature was between 110 and 115 degrees. We unpacked the field hospital off aircraft pallets, set up the tents, the Janeway (portable surgical building), dug trenches in the dirt to bury electrical cables. Our members from the Bio-environmental Flight set up their equipment to determine the temperature and humidity and then checked their chart to see what our work/rest cycle would be. Since the work was fairly physical we had 15-minute work cycles and 45-minute rest cycles. The NCO from my flight and me were used to working in the sun and the heat because the part of the warehouse (an old hanger) where we built and stored the field hospital wasn't air conditioned and the temperature in Victorville would easily get over 100 degrees being that it was in the desert. We decided we'd reverse the work/rest cycles working for 45-minutes and resting for 15-minutes. We took plenty of water breaks and had no problem working in the heat.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

I hope this will bite the GOP in the ass on November 2024 & beyond for the U.S. Senate this is all on you Tom.

Republican’s hold on nominations leaves Marines without confirmed leader for 1st time in 100 years

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. Marine Corps is without a confirmed leader for the first time in a century as Gen. David Berger stepped down as commandant on Monday and a Republican senator is blocking approval of his successor.

Berger took over as the 38th commandant in July 2019, and is required to leave the job after four years. Gen. Eric Smith, currently the assistant commandant, has been nominated to be the next leader, but will serve in an acting capacity because he hasn’t been confirmed by the Senate.

https://apnews.com/article/marine-comma ... e98139e294
bradman

Post by bradman »

Number6 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:01 pm Back in the early 80s, we were transferring a field hospital from George AFB (Victorville, Ca) to Luke AFB outside Phoenix, Az. This was in the middle of summer when the temperature was between 110 and 115 degrees. We unpacked the field hospital off aircraft pallets, set up the tents, the Janeway (portable surgical building), dug trenches in the dirt to bury electrical cables. Our members from the Bio-environmental Flight set up their equipment to determine the temperature and humidity and then checked their chart to see what our work/rest cycle would be. Since the work was fairly physical we had 15-minute work cycles and 45-minute rest cycles. The NCO from my flight and me were used to working in the sun and the heat because the part of the warehouse (an old hanger) where we built and stored the field hospital wasn't air conditioned and the temperature in Victorville would easily get over 100 degrees being that it was in the desert. We decided we'd reverse the work/rest cycles working for 45-minutes and resting for 15-minutes. We took plenty of water breaks and had no problem working in the heat.
We dealt with heat exhaustion on a regular basis during hot spells.

That was the time to catch it. Don't catch the first signs and it's more than likely a trip to the hospital.

It was early on that i had a buddy who ended up there. He was in for 5 days. The first couple were touch and go. It took them two days to bring his core temp. down. i never forgot the lesson. As a foreman there was always a 5 gallon jug of ice water, with cups. i had one fast hard rule during those days. Put it in cruise control people. i don't want to see anyone running or doing anything at a fast pace. Keep it slow and methodical. If anyone needs a break at anytime, take it. If you want to seek shelter at home i will make it happen. Don't worry about management catching you taking a unscheduled break. Just tell them it was ordered by me.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

For twenty years I worked in un-airconditioned shops. It was miserable. The second year, I was 20, we had a terrible heat wave, and it was over 110 much of the summer, and I was across the isle from the heat-treat ovens. I don't know the temps, it was probably in the 120's. I would soak my sweatband on my head, and soak my t-shirt. It would be dry in a half an hour. We were just surviving. I kept a water bottle by me the whole time. They pulled people out to the hospital nearly every night (I worked second shift).

There were only a few fans up on the walls back then. At the end of my time in the shop, in the nineties, they just about had a floor fan for everyone.

Back then, I always dreaded the summer. We had heat in the winter.

How the hell can the GOP be that heartless? Why would you do that to people?
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

All cons, all gop are murderers and traitors and terrorists.

For those of us who have said this for many years, who took heaps of abuse for it. told ya so.
I sigh in your general direction.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Libertas wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:23 pm All cons, all gop are murderers and traitors and terrorists.

For those of us who have said this for many years, who took heaps of abuse for it. told ya so.
There's no sane reason for this law. It's just mean. It shows they have complete contempt for anyone who works for a living.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:27 pm There's no sane reason for this law. It's just mean. It shows they have complete contempt for anyone who works for a living.
If a situation costs a corp a penny, even if that one penny saves 1000 lives, all cons will be against making them spend that one penny.

Even some of the cons who will die because of it. We are a broken society and we cant be fixed. Too many of them.
I sigh in your general direction.
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:11 pm For twenty years I worked in un-airconditioned shops. It was miserable. The second year, I was 20, we had a terrible heat wave, and it was over 110 much of the summer, and I was across the isle from the heat-treat ovens. I don't know the temps, it was probably in the 120's. I would soak my sweatband on my head, and soak my t-shirt. It would be dry in a half an hour. We were just surviving. I kept a water bottle by me the whole time. They pulled people out to the hospital nearly every night (I worked second shift).

There were only a few fans up on the walls back then. At the end of my time in the shop, in the nineties, they just about had a floor fan for everyone.

Back then, I always dreaded the summer. We had heat in the winter.

How the hell can the GOP be that heartless? Why would you do that to people?
When i started out there was no such thing as air conditioning in any of the equipment. There was kinda a old school mentality about such frilly things. i remember one of them. He was the shop supervisor and cranky as hell. It was about the time air conditioning became standard equipment in the work trucks. He would actually disassembled, remove, and then sell the unit. When questioned his reply was, "only pussy's need air conditioning." He was convinced that we would end up spending more time in the air conditioned trucks than outside working. Which i imagine management ok'd. i never understood the mentality. The jackoffs that would sit in a air conditioned cab are the same guys you'll find fucking of in the shade on a hot day. Instead of wasting time and money removing the air conditioning units i suggested the time would be better spent installing 5 gallon igloo water coolers to every foreman's work truck.* He didn't like that idea either. :mrgreen:

*Back then everyone was supposed to take care of their own water supply. Now, according to union rules, water is to be provided and easily accessible. Along with eye protection, ear protection, and even those dreaded masks that kept your lungs healthy....... :mrgreen:
Number6

Post by Number6 »

bradman wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:02 pm We dealt with heat exhaustion on a regular basis during hot spells.

That was the time to catch it. Don't catch the first signs and it's more than likely a trip to the hospital.

It was early on that i had a buddy who ended up there. He was in for 5 days. The first couple were touch and go. It took them two days to bring his core temp. down. i never forgot the lesson. As a foreman there was always a 5 gallon jug of ice water, with cups. i had one fast hard rule during those days. Put it in cruise control people. i don't want to see anyone running or doing anything at a fast pace. Keep it slow and methodical. If anyone needs a break at anytime, take it. If you want to seek shelter at home i will make it happen. Don't worry about management catching you taking a unscheduled break. Just tell them it was ordered by me.
During Basic Training at Lackland AFB, TX, in 1975, we were required to take salt tablets for when we were to exercise outside. I remember the salt tablet came in a bottle of 1,000 tablets. The AF dropped the requirement for salt tablets later in the 70s. Since I was in Medical Material, we had squadrons that worked on the flightlne or outdoors (Civil Engineering) ordering salt tablets until the early 80s.

Having worked in the deserts of Victorville, Ca., Clovis, NM, and Phoenix, Az., we were made aware of the signs and dangers of heat stroke and heat exhaustion so we tended to keep an eye on each other. Fortunately, we had no incidents of either.
When you vote left, you vote right.