Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:21 pm 
Policy Wonk

Multiple victims shot at Baptist church near San Antonio, witnesses say

Multiple victims have been hospitalized after a gunman opened fire inside a Baptist church in Sutherland Springs, about 30 miles southeast of San Antonio.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2 ... an-antonio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

where was god.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

BBC confirms 27-Known Dead.

http://bbc.com.mevn.net/news/world-us-canada-41880511.

What is it with Gun Nuts and Churches?

Last edited by marindem on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yup. NYT reporting same, though it's probably the same source, an EMT who was on scene.

It's a big one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/05/us/c ... texas.html

Sutherland Springs is as nowhere as you can get and still be in driving distance of San Antonio. There's a post office, a gas station, the church, and that's it. It's one of those towns where curbs and sidewalks are unnecessary, and many houses are surrounded by junk cars and various rusty items of unknowable origin.

Many many questions remain. Given the scale of the town, with fewer people (variously estimated 400 to 650) living in it than in our apartment building in Manhattan (around 850), this is a major catastrophe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Devastating.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

sad, says the pastor was away but his 14 year old daughter was among those killed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:39 pm 
Policy Wonk

The shooter have been identified as Devin Patrick Kelley, age 26. A White Male with a possible Military Background.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/te ... mg00000009.

Kelley killed at least 27-People, including the daughter of Pastor who was not at the church at ttime of the shootings.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:43 pm 
Policy Wonk

Waiting to hear the tag line, "Thoughts and Prayers" from the Ass Hat RePugs in the Congress. That is their standard empty platitude.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Waiting to hear the tag line, "Thoughts and Prayers" from the Ass Hat RePugs in the Congress. That is their standard empty platitude.

Thoughts and prayers are with the victims and families in this tragedy.

It's not a fucking tragedy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Also, the NRA and conservatives will say it's too soon to talk about gun control.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Also, the NRA and conservatives will say it's too soon to talk about gun control.

Just a bunch of fucking cowards, hiding out in a corner, whining about how folks are gonna be coming to take their guns away.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:45 pm 
Policy Wonk

CBS is reporting that the killer was shot to death by a neighbor, described as a "Good Samaritan."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:02 am 
Policy Wonk

was an assault rifle and he was wearing body armour and had more weapons in his car.

Gunman opens fire at Texas church, kills 26

Quote:
........Freeman Martin of the Texas Department of Public Safety said the shooter, who was dressed in black and was wearing a ballistic vest, was spotted at about 11:20 a.m. at a Valero gas station across from the church. Witnesses said he drove across the street, got out of his vehicle "and began firing at the church" with a Ruger assault-type rifle.

He moved to the other side and continued firing, then entered the church, Martin said, where he "continued to fire."

As the suspect left the church, Martin said, a bystander retrieved a rifle and began firing at the shooter, who dropped his Ruger and drove away.

"Our local citizen pursued the suspect at that time," Martin said........

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:17 am 
Board Emeritus

This is so fucked. 27 people murdered by This Week's Enraged White Male Terrorist.

And last night also a friend of mine's synagogue was defaced with swastikas. People who attack places of worship and kill little old ladies and children and everyone else in them is almost enough to make you want to believe in an eternal Hell.

Fucked up weekend.

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:42 am 
Board Emeritus

Fucked up weekend.

It was a somewhat strange entry into this weekend.

I was taking care of cats in two different homes, and both of them hardly ate any food on Thursday, were not interested in going outside, and just slept the day away.

It felt like they were responding to something I could not see or feel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:15 am 
Board Emeritus

It was a somewhat strange entry into this weekend.

I was taking care of cats in two different homes, and both of them hardly ate any food on Thursday, were not interested in going outside, and just slept the day away.

It felt like they were responding to something I could not see or feel.

You couldn't feel the impending sense that there would be rain? What kind of frog are you?

We didn't get much rain, but that didn't hinder that impending sense of it coming on Thursday and Friday in the slightest.

My county panicked over it and put their workers on overtime preparing for flash flooding. Seeing that caused me to address my flood control ditches. They look nice now, and they're ready for rain.

That whole time our two cats wouldn't eat much, and they would not go outside. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:17 am 
Board Emeritus

Last night I heard three different anchormen use that phrase. I wonder if Cronkite ever said it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:21 am 
Board Emeritus

Had it not been for a next door neighbor and a passerby who were armed running him down it would have been much worse. I don't think any of us know what is causing these shootings or how to stop them. This guy was thrown out of the AF for abusing his wife and child. So proper gun regulations might have prevented him from legally buying weapons. But, I wonder if that would have stopped him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:25 am 
Board Emeritus

This is so fucked. 27 people murdered by This Week's Enraged White Male Terrorist.

And last night also a friend of mine's synagogue was defaced with swastikas. People who attack places of worship and kill little old ladies and children and everyone else in them is almost enough to make you want to believe in an eternal Hell.

Fucked up weekend.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/tag/weekend-violence/

Do you think that it is because of race that so many shootings in Chicago get ignored? I can't help but think if the majority of those being killed in Chicago were white those shootings would be a lead story. As they seem to happen every weekend if not every week or every day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:42 am 
Board Emeritus

where was god.

God went to shit and the hogs ate him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:46 am 
Board Emeritus

Do you think that it is because of race that so many shootings in Chicago get ignored.

Fuck off glen. You don't know shit about Chicago any more than you know shit about anything else. And you vote for Republicans so just fucking quit trying to make out like you give a shit in LaQuan McDonald's hat about the shooting of any black or brown people.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:05 am 
Board Emeritus

Fuck off glen. You don't know shit about Chicago any more than you know shit about anything else. And you vote for Republicans so just fucking quit trying to make out like you give a shit in LaQuan McDonald's hat about the shooting of any black or brown people.

Again unable to discuss a topic. But, very able to hurl personal attacks and insults. While at one time your attacks used to anger me. Today all I feel is pity for a person filled with so much anger and hatred. Knowing that "out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:14 am 
Board Emeritus

Last night I heard three different anchormen use that phrase. I wonder if Cronkite ever said it?

You really have become a total oozing anal orifice glen.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:15 am 
Board Emeritus

The weapon he used was a semi-automatic Ruger AR-556, an AR-15 variant.

He purchased it in April of 2016, despite the fact that his military discharge was due to a domestic violence incident. This should have prevented him from obtaining it. I think more will come out because of this.

Maybe not having a semi-auto would not have stopped his rampage; like Las Vegas, nothing so far has emerged about motivation. Why he did it. But if he didn't have a semi-auto, I happen to think he would not have killed and injured as many people.

Read one detail this morning; apparently he was "friending" lots of local people in town on Facebook ... mostly to pick fights with them. (Seems the opposite of the meaning of "friending," but then I've noticed this problem with Facebook.)

If his goal was to kill lots of people, maybe he might not have done it without the body armor and AR-556.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:22 am 
Board Emeritus

Again unable to discuss a topic. But, very able to hurl personal attacks and insults. While at one time your attacks used to anger me. Today all I feel is pity for a person filled with so much anger and hatred. Knowing that "out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh".

Quit fucking whining. You would play right wingjob politics with a nice little wet dream. My post was a total discussion of the topic. Which is your post about something you don't know jack shit about...like every other post of yours. Right on topic, and right on your ulnar.

And if my hostility toward your loose shit-laden posts doesn't bother you...why follow it with a remark. You even lie your oozing anal orifice off about this shit.