Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Carmen,

I believe you and I are on the same page with the bathroom issue. Choose bathroom. Go in. Do your business. Respect the privacy of others. Wash your hands after (please). Go out.

What are your thoughts on locker rooms or other shared spaces where people are undressed in a common area?

Here's why I ask: I sit on a school board and we will probably have to address this issue from a policy standpoint in the near future and I know you'll provide me with a new perspective on the issue.

Thanks in advance.

http://reason.com/archives/2015/11/05/h ... tudents-in

The feds' solution is a sensible compromise. It suggests that the district provide curtained changing areas, available to all, without forcing anyone to use them. As it happens, Student A says she would be happy to use them as long as she has a free choice.

If the district is serious about privacy, it can offer more spaces that cater to the needs of modesty. It might also post signs stating a locker room rule that most kids already know: Keep your eyes to yourself.

[snip][end]

Additionally, can learn a lot from folks in other parts of the world, most notable perhaps would be Japan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sent%C5%8D.

Modesty is important, but it is probably more important to find a proper balance between modesty and openness. We are what we are, and that's all that we are. No need to be ashamed of that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:30 am 
Board Emeritus

Carmen,

I believe you and I are on the same page with the bathroom issue. Choose bathroom. Go in. Do your business. Respect the privacy of others. Wash your hands after (please). Go out.

What are your thoughts on locker rooms or other shared spaces where people are undressed in a common area?

Here's why I ask: I sit on a school board and we will probably have to address this issue from a policy standpoint in the near future and I know you'll provide me with a new perspective on the issue.

Thanks in advance.

I'm glad Shine On posted the Reason link. To me, this is a discrimination/nanny state issue and not the safety issue conservatives want to claim it is. The candidacy of Roy Moore with his statement that the transgendereds don't have rights tells us this. Yes, "the transgenderes" do.

I would say, if it comes up, identify the source of the anxiety and don't let people use their children like glen is trying to use women of a certain generation, which is to mask his own anti-trans bigotry. And don't let them recycle old Jim Crow era rationales that will end up with government entities being forced to discriminate on the basis of arbitrary characteristics.

In my view, these "what about the children" arguments are rarely ever about children. They are about the adults making them. As for what glen said:

glenfs wrote:
To that I would like to add what sports team do especially males who identify as females play on.

Why especially males? For you, I highly recommend getting to know some actual trans people, which will help you in these conversations.

Anyway...it's already happening.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Time to exit the Victorian/Slavery era, and enter the 21st century. Or don't. But nobody's going to wait around for you if you choose not to, though.

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:31 am 
Board Emeritus

Lol

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:32 am 
Board Emeritus

One thing about being a liberal you have to check your common sense at the door.

The thing about being you is that you have to have left your integrity in your other pants.