RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now people who came up in the next generation and generations after that not only have no first hand knowledge of all the draft avoiding. They also grew up in the era of Stallone and Norris winning the war on screens. Prior to those movies most Vietnam Vets I knew talked about the weed, the beer, the liquor and the prostitutes in Nam. Afterwards they all seemed to become tunnel rats and gung ho soldiers.

See, glen gets it right sometimes.

The movie industry, with considerable prodding from the Pentagon and the right wing corporations that had bought out the studios, did everything it could to rehabilitate the idea of war. After the draft ended, this became essential. The Pentagon brass perceived, accurately, that now they were going to sell themselves in the marketplace the same way everyone else always has.

It went from Apocalypse Now to Rambo. War as insanity to war as revenge. Although, if you want to get picky about it, Apocalypse had never really gotten away from the original Milius script that depicted war as insane, but great fun with the right attitude. (Milius, of course, being the 70s L.A.'s version of Steve Bannon. Really. They aren't that different.)

Sure, it resonated with the 1980s audience for a lot of reasons. Good propaganda always does. People for the most part would rather feel good about things, and the movies have provided that since at least the 1910s. It's called the dream factory for a reason. There was subsequently the usual feedback loop between what sells tickets and what gets made. Not just the Rambo franchise, but Top Gun and all the sympathetic parts for 22-year-olds who didn't mind having short hair. (Until short hair became the style, largely influenced by movies and other pop culture.)

I was there, I was in it, and that's how it happened. Indies kept making thoughtful war movies, but they were very scarce for quite a while. Mostly you heard about them at Oscar time. The mainstream was back to guts 'n' glory.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

See, glen gets it right sometimes.

The movie industry, with considerable prodding from the Pentagon and the right wing corporations that had bought out the studios, did everything it could to rehabilitate the idea of war. After the draft ended, this became essential. The Pentagon brass perceived, accurately, that now they were going to sell themselves in the marketplace the same way everyone else always has.

It went from Apocalypse Now to Rambo. War as insanity to war as revenge. Although, if you want to get picky about it, Apocalypse had never really gotten away from the original Milius script that depicted war as insane, but great fun with the right attitude. (Milius, of course, being the 70s L.A.'s version of Steve Bannon. Really. They aren't that different.)

Sure, it resonated with the 1980s audience for a lot of reasons. Good propaganda always does. People for the most part would rather feel good about things, and the movies have provided that since at least the 1910s. It's called the dream factory for a reason. There was subsequently the usual feedback loop between what sells tickets and what gets made. Not just the Rambo franchise, but Top Gun and all the sympathetic parts for 22-year-olds who didn't mind having short hair. (Until short hair became the style, largely influenced by movies and other pop culture.)

I was there, I was in it, and that's how it happened. Indies kept making thoughtful war movies, but they were very scarce for quite a while. Mostly you heard about them at Oscar time. The mainstream was back to guts 'n' glory.
agreed re: agitprop. There is also the concept of the military is portrayed over the last twenty years or so along with the issue of less and less differentiation between war/conflict and peace/not war.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

agreed re: agitprop. There is also the concept of the military is portrayed over the last twenty years or so along with the issue of less and less differentiation between war/conflict and peace/not war.

Oh, of course, but that was later and cable Nooz was the prime driver by then. It's definitely a new ball game since 9/11 gave the excuse to create an Orwellian state of perpetual semi-war with the world.

It's easier to count countries that DON'T have US military presence of some sort. I think it's down to maybe 5, if that. Of course, some of these personnel are probably assigned to embassies, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh, of course, but that was later and cable Nooz was the prime driver by then. It's definitely a new ball game since 9/11 gave the excuse to create an Orwellian state of perpetual semi-war with the world.

It's easier to count countries that DON'T have US military presence of some sort. I think it's down to maybe 5, if that. Of course, some of these personnel are probably assigned to embassies, etc.

yeh i get that and i see it all over the place. oh so many wondered "why" that day happened
except it made so many things so more convenient to both use and abuse.
strangling all movement and controlling the limited resources.
bravo. well done.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:27 pm 
Policy Wonk

gave us the war on terror economy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

gave us the war on terror economy

yah, that and "Countrywide".
something about those two happening in the origin of the 2000 decade has always been a problem for me.

get them to focus on war(2001) theyll buy homes (merican dream safety!!!)..then take it all back.
it all happened in the same decade. b666h, DOW rises, AngleoMozillo and jamie dimon say
its time to BUY. so mericans leaped and bought everything from home despot.

DOW rose due to consumer debt to the DOW.
housing prices climbed due to the DOW rising on consumer debt.
then ..that day.
all is lost, the market is gone. but...that didnt matter as wallst kept "selling" the shit
to the mericans And foreigners who bought the fucking empty debt. CDS. CRASH 08. Lehman.

then...when the foreigners learned their "investments" in US housing were turning to shit...
...the dumb mericans--AND THE VETERANS-- then lost everything.

we all got played. its what wallst does. dow is so high now....even im near to putting up SPAM.

this DOW today?....based on nothing. algorithms. computers. :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw)
built on bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:09 pm 
Policy Wonk

well they bought the empty debt with peoples 401k money it just showed up on the statement as a quarterly loss to the mutual funds.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

well they bought the empty debt with peoples 401k money it just showed up on the statement as a quarterly loss to the mutual funds.

well....that was Key. wallst had the brunt of the moderate income Boomers Money.
goading them into coughing up MORE day by day.

wallst knew. knew precisely what they were doing. they were "clawing back" the money
the public, the citizens, has accumulated thru this insane housing "boom".
oh, and the retirements of these people.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

and btw...dont forget that doing all the looting from mericans was "fun"...they "laughed all day long"
as they "subprimed" person after person.
as they destabilized the entire merican population and commerce.

#yafukinmoochers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

heres the thing. what wallst did was TREASON..in the US.

since it went overseas and around the wurld...well no one could blame it on "treason".

as usual...JPM walked.