Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:32 pm 
Policy Wonk

12-year-old suing Sessions over marijuana policy

A 12-year-old girl in Colorado is suing Attorney General Jeff Sessions over what the lawsuit claims is an unconstitutional federal prohibition on medical marijuana.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=SK216DHP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

While I am all for the legalization of weed. I am equally against parents who put their children up to political stunts. Let kids be kids as long as possible. Life will catch up to them soon enough.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

While I am all for the legalization of weed. I am equally against parents who put their children up to political stunts. Let kids be kids as long as possible. Life will catch up to them soon enough.

I have not read the article. Have you?

My first guess would be that this kid is suffering with cancer, meaning she needs access to pot for medical reasons.

In other words, very unlikely to be some sort of stunt.

Figure it's just more of that "all lives matter" mentality from the Republican faction of this great society.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Turns out she's epileptic and it stops her seizures. Something that probably is keeping her from being a kid as long as possible.

Glen should be ashamed, but of course he isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here's the rest of the story:

"As the seizures got worse, we had to move to Colorado to get cannabis because it's illegal in Texas," said Bortell, who was diagnosed with epilepsy as a young child.

The sixth-grader said traditional medicine wasn't helping her seizures and doctors in her home state were recommending invasive brain surgery.

But a pediatrician did mention an out-of-state option: Medical marijuana.

Shortly after moving to Larkspur, Bortell's family began using a strain of cannabis oil called Haleigh's Hope.

A drop of liquid THC in the morning and at night has kept her seizure-free for 2 1/2 years.

"I'd say it`s a lot better than brain surgery," Bortell said.

But Bortell said the federal prohibition on marijuana prevents her from returning to Texas.

Here's the little girl, glen:

Just another example of you talking out your ass about something you don't know jack-shit about.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Cannabis ALSO contains a compound called CBD (cannabidinol) that can treat epileptic seizures (in children, or in adults).

"Charlotte's Web" has been legal in Florida since 2014. One of the few decent things Gov. Skeletor has done. "Charlotte's Web" is a strain of cannabis (grown only in Colorado, natch) which is high in CBD but low in psychoactive THC.

It's so named because a couple used oil from the plant to treat their daughter Charlotte's seizures. This is in Sanjay Gupta's documentary Weed, I believe.

Because this strain is low in THC, it isn't really getting the kids, as we like to call it, "high".

P.S. the story may be getting this detail wrong. I'm betting Haleigh's Hope is like Charlotte's Web -- low in THC, but high in CBD.

EDIT: boom, I knew it.

Haleigh's Hope has a 24:1 CBD to THC ratio.
https://www.leafly.com/hybrid/haleighs-hope

The reporter is wrong, they are not giving their daughter "liquid THC". (Well, there's a small trace amount in it.)

P.S. Marinol IS essentially synthetic lab-produced THC in pill form, and is used to treat appetite loss and glaucoma, things that THC itself may have medicinal applications for.

Cannabis may be anticarcinogenic, too, but that may be due to another compound in the plant.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Turns out she's epileptic and it stops her seizures. Something that probably is keeping her from being a kid as long as possible.

That would probably be my second guess.

Well known around these parts that CBD's, among many uses, are very helpful in quelling tremors.

Just yesterday, an older person was asking me to help get his vape-pen working with a cartridge that does not fit. Looks like more universal vape-pens are beginning to hit the scene, but meanwhile blind folks, like my friend, cannot readily navigate such chaos.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:44 am 
Board Emeritus

If it wasn't a stunt it would be her parents in the headlines.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:52 am 
Board Emeritus

Why should her parents be in the headline? They are not the ones filing the law suit. Are you saying children cannot file such petitions or are you saying that they should not be allowed to do so?

Here's another example of children coming together to file a law suit: JULIANA v. U.S. CLIMATE LAWSUIT.

Oh, the gall, the inhumanity of children taking control of their lives and their futures. Is that what you are on about?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, who the fuck cares if the twelve-year-olld has seizures? Not when you can make a political point!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Where is your evidence it's a political stunt?

Federal policy currently is marijuana is illegal but many states have legalized its use for a variety of purposes. Texas is one of the states that hasn't legalize any form of marijuana use. Since marijuana has been shown to have some benefits the question is why isn't it available nationwide when prescribed by a doctor? This is the reason the family relocated to Colorado, so she could obtain the cannabis oil. The lawsuit's purpose is to make access to medical marijuana nationwide. This lawsuit was undoubtedly initiated by her parents but if it went to trial the parents would be the face of the lawsuit and not their daughter. By making the daughter the plaintiff, she becomes the face of the lawsuit and the focus is on her and not her parents. It links the daughter directly to the medical marijuana issue and the need to make it available nationwide.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Trump should be taking asshole lessons from you.