Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:33 pm 
Policy Wonk

Army lifts ban on recruits with mental health history

WASHINGTON — People with a history of “self-mutilation,” bipolar disorder, depression and drug and alcohol abuse can now seek waivers to join the Army under an unannounced policy enacted in August, according to documents obtained by USA TODAY.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/army- ... spartandhp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:06 pm 
Policy Wonk

perhaps a sign that new war may be close

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:32 pm 
Political Junkie

As long at they're not transgender....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Where are all these patriotic conservatives who wrap themselves in the flag and supports unlimited wars around the world when you need them to sign up for the Army?

The Army is going to have problems with lowering the standards for enlistment. The old rule of thumb is 80% of people problems comes from 20% of the people. The Army is going to spend a lot of time and paperwork on these people, especially those with drug and alcohol problems, trying to straighten them out or booting them out of the Army.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Where are all these patriotic conservatives who wrap themselves in the flag and supports unlimited wars around the world when you need them to sign up for the Army?

The Army is going to have problems with lowering the standards for enlistment. The old rule of thumb is 80% of people problems comes from 20% of the people. The Army is going to spend a lot of time and paperwork on these people, especially those with drug and alcohol problems, trying to straighten them out or booting them out of the Army.

Gonna be a total fucking disaster at all stages of this bullshit.

Seriously, I'm gonna have to defend myself against crazy people who have been trained by the military?

Really hate being painted into a corner where the best option for me is to have a concealed carry permit. But, here we are.

My weapon of choice ("other than the tone of my voice"): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven ...with night-vision and laser sights.

Wanna fuck with me, be wise to make sure you got the drop on me, and most importantly, that you don't lose it.

Last edited by ShineOn on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

France gets more attractive daily.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

Once upon a time, not too many years ago, I had the same thoughts about France.

Then I looked a bit more deeply and realized things are pretty much just as fucked up over there, too, if not more so.

France is such an interesting place. I came to the conclusion that it is probably even more fucked-off than America. So, I passed on the opportunity to relocate there about seven years ago.

For example, if you think that what is happening with Seal Team Six is scandalous, should perhaps look more deeply into how such shit has gone down in France over the last several decades. Not a pretty sight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

France has all the same problems we do, and most of them are worse. Racism is worse, Islamophobia is worse, and as you say, the scandals tend to be worse. Also the TV is sheer dreck, and the music isn't much better. And it's a wonder anyone comes out of the education system with their sanity intact.

The future isn't a whole lot more promising. They are currently rewriting the labor code to make work more like it is here, though not all that much more. This is causing pretty much weekly strikes that interfere with daily routines. Also, ignorance is about the same, and altogether too many people probably believe that the Earth is flat and resting on an infinite regression of turtles.

Thing is, I don't mind shit. I mind THIS shit. I mind having to deal, nearly always unsuccessfully, with the same shit I had to deal with when I was 14 and becoming politically aware. It hasn't changed AT ALL, you know, unless it's to get worse. Wasn't there an experiment where they created a totally futile situation for lab mice, and the mice just stopped eating and died? We are not evolved for futility. Maybe it would be better if we were, but that's not the op-system we were born with.

My red ass is that nothing ever really substantially changes AT ALL here, EVER. I don't mind problems, but I mind futility. Two steps forward, two steps back. Lather, rinse, repeat. If I'm going to be futile, I'd rather be futile somewhere else more interesting than The Land of the Free, and I definitely prefer places where I don't have to assume every bozo I meet on the street is carrying.

Actually, I would imagine that in the real world, I won't emigrate any farther than New York. It's futile there too, but they make far more interesting attempts at doing something about it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

France has all the same problems we do, and most of them are worse. Racism is worse, Islamophobia is worse, and as you say, the scandals tend to be worse. Also the TV is sheer dreck, and the music isn't much better. And it's a wonder anyone comes out of the education system with their sanity intact.

The future isn't a whole lot more promising. They are currently rewriting the labor code to make work more like it is here, though not all that much more. This is causing pretty much weekly strikes that interfere with daily routines. Also, ignorance is about the same, and altogether too many people probably believe that the Earth is flat and resting on an infinite regression of turtles.

Thing is, I don't mind shit. I mind THIS shit. I mind having to deal, nearly always unsuccessfully, with the same shit I had to deal with when I was 14 and becoming politically aware. It hasn't changed AT ALL, you know, unless it's to get worse. Wasn't there an experiment where they created a totally futile situation for lab mice, and the mice just stopped eating and died? We are not evolved for futility. Maybe it would be better if we were, but that's not the op-system we were born with.

My red ass is that nothing ever really substantially changes AT ALL here, EVER. I don't mind problems, but I mind futility. Two steps forward, two steps back. Lather, rinse, repeat. If I'm going to be futile, I'd rather be futile somewhere else more interesting than The Land of the Free, and I definitely prefer places where I don't have to assume every bozo I meet on the street is carrying.

Actually, I would imagine that in the real world, I won't emigrate any farther than New York. It's futile there too, but they make far more interesting attempts at doing something about it.

One thing that struck me about France is that, should one want to be a pirate, the culture provides a very good environment for such activity.

And of course, as we well know, there are good pirates, bad pirates, and all manner in between.

Seems to be mostly this tendency of humans everywhere towards right-leaning Libertarianism that has me somewhat flummoxed.

Otherwise, I would not have hesitated to leave America and take my chances in, say, Australia or New Zealand.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was a mental health direct service provider for over 20 years. I felt more safe in a treatment room with a group of hospital patients diagnosed with a mix of all the aforementioned disorders than I did anywhere at Camp Pendleton.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was a mental health direct service provider for over 20 years. I felt more safe in a treatment room with a group of hospital patients diagnosed with a mix of all the aforementioned disorders than I did anywhere at Camp Pendleton.

Perhaps that's because you were in an "authority" position with the hospital group so they were more likely to be less aggressive whereas on Camp Pendleton you were just another Marine or civilian. The rank (authority) structure on a base is imposed making conflicts throughout less likely but more likely within equal ranks (Corporals vs Corporals, Sergeants vs Sergeants, Captains vs Captains, etc.). Think of it as the pecking order on different levels; on-base the pecking orders is determined by rank and within equal ranks it's usually by the duty position a person holds or the position they hold within their group (rank).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22

The novel's title refers to a plot device that is repeatedly invoked in the story. Catch-22 starts as a set of paradoxical requirements whereby airmen mentally unfit to fly did not have to do so, but could not actually be excused. According to the novel, people who were crazy were not obliged to fly missions, but anyone who applied to stop flying was showing a rational concern for his safety and was, therefore, sane and had to fly. By the end of the novel, it is invoked as the explanation for many unreasonable restrictions.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

If I were to relocate it would be to England mainly to having served two tours there for a total of five years. They have their problems like we do but the chances of some nut walking around with a gun are far less than in the US.

I live in California, home of earthquakes, and my view of terrorism is if it happens it happens. It's more about how you react than anything else. I was stationed in Germany during the 80s when the Red Brigade was bombing US bases (the officer's club was bombed a week before I arrived) and we were taught things to help prepare us for a terrorist attack. Among the things I still go today is I make sure I'm aware of my surroundings, check where the exits are in a building, and I keep enough room in traffic
so if there is an attack I can usually maneuver car out of traffic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:58 pm 
Policy Wonk

Gonna be a total fucking disaster at all stages of this bullshit.

Seriously, I'm gonna have to defend myself against crazy people who have been trained by the military?

Really hate being painted into a corner where the best option for me is to have a concealed carry permit. But, here we are.

My weapon of choice ("other than the tone of my voice"): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven ...with night-vision and laser sights.

Wanna fuck with me, be wise to make sure you got the drop on me, and most importantly, that you don't lose it.

why not just carry the butt end of a pistol? Its likely inevitable republicans will come up with legislation allowing people to carry them in case they need to protect themselves by pistol whipping someone in self defense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

why not just carry the butt end of a pistol? Its likely inevitable republicans will come up with legislation allowing people to carry them in case they need to protect themselves by pistol whipping someone in self defense.

Might even improve my chances of surviving, just working with the butt end of a pistol.

So many guns available in America and folks acting like they've been acting is definitely not a good combination.

I'm all for getting rid of as many guns as possible. I mean, aren't pitch forks enough when it comes to having to face down the government or most anyone else?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:42 pm 
Policy Wonk

ShineOn wrote:

Might even improve my chances of surviving, just working with the butt end of a pistol.

So many guns available in America and folks acting like they've been acting is definitely not a good combination.

I'm all for getting rid of as many guns as possible. I mean, aren't pitch forks enough when it comes to having to face down the government or most anyone else?

sure pitchforks is good too but its not like the government is coming for peoples guns that is affecting peoples behavior, its that it has become so corrupt and one sided and unfair/unjust that it takes from the people the one thing that always made it good in the first place which in my opinion is hope.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:11 am 
Board Emeritus

Perhaps that's because you were in an "authority" position with the hospital group so they were more likely to be less aggressive whereas on Camp Pendleton you were just another Marine or civilian. The rank (authority) structure on a base is imposed making conflicts throughout less likely but more likely within equal ranks (Corporals vs Corporals, Sergeants vs Sergeants, Captains vs Captains, etc.). Think of it as the pecking order on different levels; on-base the pecking orders is determined by rank and within equal ranks it's usually by the duty position a person holds or the position they hold within their group (rank).

I was only trying to point out that IMHClinicalO, the people I was surrounded by in the Corps were typically no less psychplogically disturbed than the people I was surrounded by in group on a psych unit. I don't think rank has much to do with a mental status eval.

The Corps was actually like a huge psych unit. The whole gestalt in the Corps was fucking crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Terrorist attacks don't scare me.

Billionaires scare me.

England has the same language, sort of, although you'll still be identified as a foreigner every time you open your mouth. It's a nice enough country, but I'm not sure I'm into the whole monarchy/ titled aristocracy/ hereditary upper class preppie Thing that they like so much there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Terrorist attacks don't scare me.

Billionaires scare me.

England has the same language, sort of, although you'll still be identified as a foreigner every time you open your mouth. It's a nice enough country, but I'm not sure I'm into the whole monarchy/ titled aristocracy/ hereditary upper class preppie Thing that they like so much there.

I don't think that's much of a problem there. I'd say it's similar to the divide in the U.S. between the wealthy and the middle class. Having spent five years in England I noticed at first everything seemed more like entertainment with the people and locales as elements in a movie. Once you get used to it then you can start to understand them and you'll discover their lives are very much the same as ours.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not completely true, they have to get a waiver.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Delta is ready when you are.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

maybe they had the technology right on guns back in the mid 1800s

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

got time to go back pick up your papers and hat cuss at em kick em throw dirt in his face and run out of range before he reloads.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:52 am 
Board Emeritus

got time to go back pick up your papers and hat cuss at em kick em throw dirt in his face and run out of range before he reloads.

The way it ought to be.

My, how times have changed.

Or have they?

One of the primary reasons for the development of munitions is to wage battle against other humans. Unfortunately, in the hands of humans, at this time, the primary function of such technology is to fulfill our ambitions toward blood lust.

The notion that such weapons in the hands of an improperly trained citizenry will protect them against the advances of political despotism is absurd on its face, the result being that the second amendment has become an abomination of epic proportions.

All sorts of cool body armor available today, such as inside the lining of jackets and pants and hats.