RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

....should the new Senator vote the way the people of Alabama prefer or should he vote the way the Democratic Party prefers? I ask because in our last special election I didn't like the GOP candidate and preferred the DNC candidate. But, because I felt once in DC the DNC candidate would be forced to represent the views of Democratic Party leaders as opposed to the view of the people in our district I had to support the guy I dislike.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:26 pm 
Political Junkie

Seems like a rather silly question. The new Senator should vote the way s/he feels represents the state's best interest. The DNC or the RNC try to pressure 'their' senators, and are often successful. Yet when push comes to shove, the biggest influence will be how it will effect their own reelection. That's when they'll break from their party.

Unfortunately, though, the voters are one one aspect of what will get them elected. Contributions, assistance, advertising, and a lot to other items will play into this as well.

I do get where you're coming from though. Even though I live in a 'safe' district, community and state for a particular party, I wanted to vote for the other. Since I knew he wouldn't win anyway, and I felt they should be supported for certain positions and moderation. But in the end, I decided it would send the wrong message to the party I didnt want to support....so I didn't.

Someone recommended to me, write a letter of thanks instead.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Seems like a rather silly question. The new Senator should vote the way s/he feels represents the state's best interest. The DNC or the RNC try to pressure 'their' senators, and are often successful. Yet when push comes to shove, the biggest influence will be how it will effect their own reelection. That's when they'll break from their party.

Unfortunately, though, the voters are one one aspect of what will get them elected. Contributions, assistance, advertising, and a lot to other items will play into this as well.

I do get where you're coming from though. Even though I live in a 'safe' district, community and state for a particular party, I wanted to vote for the other. Since I knew he wouldn't win anyway, and I felt they should be supported for certain positions and moderation. But in the end, I decided it would send the wrong message to the party I didnt want to support....so I didn't.

Someone recommended to me, write a letter of thanks instead.

Way too much tact and poise.

I keep picturing you as a professor of history, or perhaps a rabbi.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:12 am 
Board Emeritus

The Party is the Vanguard of the people, glen. It knows before the people do what they need; they just have to realize it and be led by it.

Now sit down with me and love Big Brother.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:04 am 
Board Emeritus

....should the new Senator vote the way the people of Alabama prefer or should he vote the way the Democratic Party prefers? I ask because in our last special election I didn't like the GOP candidate and preferred the DNC candidate. But, because I felt once in DC the DNC candidate would be forced to represent the views of Democratic Party leaders as opposed to the view of the people in our district I had to support the guy I dislike.

Does not the election determine what the voters want? If the voters support a candidate and he/she gets elected then the majority of voters must support that candidate and what he/she put forth. As for parties what you say applies to Republicans as well. Do the voters of Ohio support everything that the Republican Party puts forth when they elected Rob Portman? You are caught in a conundrum Glen. The Republican Party favors destruction of the ACA and most certainly opposes single payer. How does that mesh with your views. They support deregulation of damn near everything and that is shown in the people who have been put in cabinet positions. Perry wanted to dismantle the Department of Energy. The same department charged with maintenance of nuclear plants and the nuclear arsenal. The same department which trains every nuclear inspector in the world.

Parties put out platforms but legislating does not mean that their platforms are put into place. Iirc, Benjamin Rush said that the people wield power on Election Day but cede power to those they elected. The elected are to use judgement. If you think that Republicans use judgement once elected but Democrats move in rigid lockstep then you are fooling yourself.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 am 
Board Emeritus

....should the new Senator vote the way the people of Alabama prefer or should he vote the way the Democratic Party prefers?\

Obviously a stupid question, but OK...here goes...

If the Democrat wins, the majority of the people picked someone for the job with that political philosophy. Which is the way it works in every election in this country with the exception of the fucking presidency. Where the assholes can lose and still have their asshole candidate win the office.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 am 
Board Emeritus

Obviously a stupid question, but OK...here goes...

If the Democrat wins, the majority of the people picked someone for the job with that political philosophy. Which is the way it works in every election in this country with the exception of the fucking presidency. Where the assholes can lose and still have their asshole candidate win the office.

You could not be more wrong. I am sure the people who vote for the Democratic Party's candidate in a state like California have a much different opinion than the people who vote for the Democrat in Alabama as to political philosophy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:32 am 
Board Emeritus

You could not be more wrong. I am sure the people who vote for the Democratic Party's candidate in a state like California have a much different opinion than the people who vote for the Democrat in Alabama as to political philosophy.

You couldn't be more ignorant. (And don't start whining about personal attacks, ignorance is just lack of knowledge and you've got royal-flush lack of knowledge in spades.)

You keep trying to make some stupid fucking case for people on the coasts being different from people in the middle. It's bullshit kool-aid you've been fed by FOX/EIB and the asshole politicians you applaud. When you vote for a Republican, you know what you're getting and you want that. When you vote for a Democrat you know what you're getting and you want that. It doesn't matter if you live in Ojai or Opelika, glen.

You really think the southerners in Virginia thought they were going to get an anti-woman, anti-abortion, anti-voting rights, anti-immigration, anti-black, brown, muslim, jew, anti-working class, anti-gun control...asshole, shitbag, Trumper like Ed Gillespie running the state of Virginia, when the majority of them voted for Ralph Northam? Really? They voted for Ralph Northam but they wanted a governor who would behave like Donald Trump?

WTF is wrong with you, glen? WTF are you talking about?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:18 pm 
Policy Wonk

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
:arrow: Considering the Democratic candidate in Alabama is as moderate as Democratic Senators like Joe Manchin (WV), Claire McCaskill (MO), Joe Donnelly (IN), Heidi Heitcamp (SD) and Jon Tester (MT). How do they vote? Not always party-line.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

You're completely right, of course. Once your new Democratic senator got to DC, he would be sent right out for a full implant, and would then be controlled by the Democratic Party Child Exploitation and Pizza Office on Mars. You would know when you asked him how he was voting on some brand new bill, and he'd have to wait 20 minutes for the 2-way propagation time of the brain waves from this planet to that one, and back.

----

Quote:
If you could combine Bill C's skill with Obama's morals you would have the perfect President. One just like Ronald Reagan.

Still trumpeting the moral superiority of a corrupt SAG president who conceived a child out of wedlock, I see.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Parties have whips for a reason. Don't follow the leader's direction, you get the whip.

That said, yes, every Congress critter probably learns this as skill #1. How to balance the expectations of the party with the expectations of their constituents.

Parties do have platforms. How well they are actually followed, ay, that's the rub.

I wouldn't say they are meaningless, but I would say people overestimate the significance of what's in there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Senator is elected by the voters to use their judgement on issues related to the state Alabama (or any other state). By voting for a candidate, the voter knows to a good degree how the Senator will bote on most issues.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Senator is elected by the voters to use their judgement on issues related to the state Alabama (or any other state). By voting for a candidate, the voter knows to a good degree how the Senator will bote on most issues.

glen believes that Alabama voters are 'reglur folk, where California voters are social revolutionaries with untold weird personal habits.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

glen believes that Alabama voters are 'reglur folk, where California voters are social revolutionaries with untold weird personal habits.

Yeah, glen's views of California are hilarious compared to the behaviors of South Carolina.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Heartland people are clearly the salt of the Earth, the root stock of Great America.

Those who live on the coasts are BDSM leather-wearing freaks who regularly drop acid with Nancy Pelosi.

Georgia's on the coast, it's why they sent a disco-loving peanut farmer to the White House.

Fortunately, though adjacent to it, Alabama is not poisoned by its malaise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

You mean they’re not? Holy crap! :rw)

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

You mean they’re not? Holy crap! :rw)

"Holy crap" is what the evangelicals call the brown logs in their toilets.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:07 pm 
Policy Wonk

Speaking of Roy Moore:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... al_twitter

He's banned from a Gadsden mall.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Absolutely one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies.

“You know. Morons.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:36 am 
Policy Wonk

Assuming a Democrat can win an election in Alabama, its likely the title of most conservative
Democrat would be that Senator if he is to have any chance at getting re-elected.

I'm skeptical a Democrat can win in Alabama under any circumstances.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 am 
Board Emeritus

Assuming a Democrat can win an election in Alabama, its likely the title of most conservative
Democrat would be that Senator if he is to have any chance at getting re-elected.

I'm skeptical a Democrat can win in Alabama under any circumstances.

A deranged animal like Roy Moore is as popular as it gets in a backwater shithole like Alabama. The accusers are all communist whores who seduced him to satisfy their sick pre-adolescent sexual cravings. He's a shoe-in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:54 am 
Policy Wonk

Heartland people are clearly the salt of the Earth, the root stock of Great America.

Those who live on the coasts are BDSM leather-wearing freaks who regularly drop acid with Nancy Pelosi.

Georgia's on the coast, it's why they sent a disco-loving peanut farmer to the White House.

Fortunately, though adjacent to it, Alabama is not poisoned by its malaise.