All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:33 am 
Board Emeritus

...as a foreign agent.

RT will register as foreign agent, chief editor says - CBS

Quote:
RT reported Thursday that the U.S. Department of Justice has demanded the registration be done by Monday. The Justice Department declined to comment to The Associated Press. Russia's Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said Russia would retaliate, but did not elaborate.

Amid continued controversy about Russia's role in trying to influence last year's U.S. presidential election, Twitter last month banned advertising by RT and by the state-funded Sputnik news agency. RT claimed Twitter pushed it to spend millions on advertising ahead of the 2016 presidential election.

In a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing last month, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) asked why YouTube gave RT a preferred status on the video site, and kept it for so long. Richard Salgado, director for law enforcement and information security at Google, said the site's preferred status was dropped because of declining viewership.

Russia's embassy in the U.S. denounced the reported Justice Department order.

"The brutal pressure on the Russian media proves that the American side is still following the path of conscious deterioration of relations," the embassy said in a statement on Facebook. "We consider its requirements as a desire to eliminate the source of alternative information, an unacceptable violation of international standards of press freedom."

:problem:

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:38 am 
Board Emeritus

If we believe that RT is an active agent of the Russian Government, then RT needs to register as such.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:32 pm 
Political Junkie

They should. But the United States is usually lenient when determining what is a government agent vs a new agency. For example Al Jazeera wasn't considered a foreign agent in the US, as it is in many other countries.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm far left and I have no problems with RT registering. I had a bigger problem when a lack of angels and a corporate ad boycott put Air America Radio off the air.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm far left and I have no problems with RT registering. I had a bigger problem when a lack of angels and a corporate ad boycott put Air America Radio off the air.

Funny, but the ad boycott tactics against Air America is now being played against Fox News and conservative radio personalities like Rush Limbaugh. O'Reilly was forced off Fox News and now Hannity is facing loss of five major advertisers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:12 pm 
Policy Wonk

what is far leftville?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

They should. But the United States is usually lenient when determining what is a government agent vs a new agency. For example Al Jazeera wasn't considered a foreign agent in the US, as it is in many other countries.

Yes Al Jazeera, AJ+, and Telesur can all register, afaic.

cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

what is far leftville?

:| The next town over from Bernieville?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Air America ad boycott was more top-down than anything I've seen regarding Hannity and his lot. The agencies were obviously under pressure from somewhere in the DC/NYC business axis of evil. They actually asked all their clients if they wanted to opt-out of anything so subversive, and there were a fair number who did just that. We don't see that here. AFAIK it's being run by a couple of citizen volunteer type groups, from outside the ad agencies or the broadcast industry. It appears to be bottom-up. The Nooz seems a lot more interested in righty yuppies publicly destroying their expensive coffee makers after a mfr pulled their ads.