Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

To lose the race? Or to win it?

What do you think, righties? Any opinion?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

To lose the race? Or to win it?

What do you think, righties? Any opinion?

The worst outcome is for Moore to be elected and the Senate republicans fight among themselves as whether to seat him.

A loss could be written off as Moore's personal problem and not the problem of the republican party.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

The worst outcome is for Moore to be elected and the Senate republicans fight among themselves as whether to seat him.

A loss could be written off as Moore's personal problem and not the problem of the republican party.

Sounds like the Republicans have a new plan: If Moore is elected, they expel him and then, magically, the Republican Governor put in another Republican.

Yeah, no shit. Via the Hill:

Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), who leads the Senate GOP campaign arm, is calling on the Senate to expel embattled Alabama GOP nominee Roy Moore if Moore wins December's special election.

"I believe the individuals speaking out against Roy Moore spoke with courage and truth, proving he is unfit to serve in the United States Senate and he should not run for office," said Gardner, who is the first GOP senator to publicly raise the specter of expulsion.

"If he refuses to withdraw and wins, the Senate should vote to expel him, because he does not meet the ethical and moral requirements of the United States Senate," he said.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:14 pm 

Prediction.

Moore wins a narrow victory (because Alabama), enters the Senate and is immediately removed by a nearly unanimous vote of expulsion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Prediction.

Moore wins a narrow victory (because Alabama), enters the Senate and is immediately removed by a nearly unanimous vote of expulsion.

Then they put in someone more pliable. That's the Republican idea of "democratic government".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sounds like the Republicans have a new plan: If Moore is elected, they expel him and then, magically, the Republican Governor put in another Republican.

Yeah, no shit. Via the Hill:

Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), who leads the Senate GOP campaign arm, is calling on the Senate to expel embattled Alabama GOP nominee Roy Moore if Moore wins December's special election.

"I believe the individuals speaking out against Roy Moore spoke with courage and truth, proving he is unfit to serve in the United States Senate and he should not run for office," said Gardner, who is the first GOP senator to publicly raise the specter of expulsion.

"If he refuses to withdraw and wins, the Senate should vote to expel him, because he does not meet the ethical and moral requirements of the United States Senate," he said.

In Alabama, when a Senate vacancy exists the governor can make a temporary appointment but an election is required to fill the remainder of the term.
Quote:
On such a day as the governor may direct, unless vacancy occurs between 2 and 4 months before the next regularly-scheduled general election, in which case it is held at that election. If vacancy occurs within 60 days of the next regularly-scheduled general election, a special election must be held on the first Tuesday after 60 days have elapsed since the vacancy occurred.
NSCL

If Moore is removed from the Senate I'd expect to see Strange re-appointed and that he will be elected in the next special election.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Prediction.

I think Moore will win by a couple of percentage points but I doubt the republicans in the Senate have the backbone to either refuse to seat him or to remove him. I suspect the republicans will stay silent and hope the Moore issue disappear over the next couple of news cycles.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:40 am 
Policy Wonk

I tend to doubt the Senate GOP would do anything to Moore for on the first day he joins their
caucus, he will be told to sit down and shut up. He will vote strictly party line for he represents
the most reliable GOP vote in the Senate. If he causes any trouble, he will be censored.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:14 pm 
Policy Wonk

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
:arrow: I don't know what is worse for Republicans. All I know is my cynical mind tells me that there is something definitely going on here. On one hand, the fact that I am a survivor of a sexual assault that happened to me when I was 20 yrs old, I'm happy that these women are all coming forward to speak about what happened to them with these high-profiled men some time ago. The fact that these men were in powerful positions when they assaulted these women, is a pretty good reason for not coming forward sooner. Being scared and being not believed is not a good feeling. On the other hand , we have some on the Right who are feeling the need to side with Roy Moore. Then there were some who said the words "if it's true", which is basically like passing the buck, pretty weak at best. Now a lot of Republicans are calling for Moore to step aside, and I think knowing that he won't do that. All in all, what I get out of this is, Republicans are behaving.....well, like Republicans, Roy Moore will be elected in Alabama because those Republicans in that state would rather vote for a child molester before they would a Democratic candidate. So the next question; What the heck is wrong with these people?!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's Alabama.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:43 pm 
Policy Wonk

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
It's Alabama.

:arrow: Of course. And shame on them!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

To win it,because Trump will take Moore under his wing. The Tea Party types will buy it and the GOP leadership will be screwed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

To win it,because Trump will take Moore under his wing. The Tea Party types will buy it and the GOP leadership will be screwed.

Wow, an ACTUAL answer! We're so proud of yew!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

So Trump will take Moore under his wing? What will he do, compare notes on how to sexually molested women and children?