It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

At least 3 dead in California school shooting, shooter killed by police

RANCHO TEHAMA, Calif. —
A reported shooting in northern California has left at least three people dead.

http://www.wcvb.com/article/california- ... g/13601759

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

Quote:
Authorities described a chaotic scene in which a gunman appeared to pick targets at random in the rural Northern California county. They said the shootings appear to have begun as “domestic violence incident” but did not provide details.

The gunman was fatally shot by sheriff’s deputies. His name has not been released. The Tehama County Sheriff’s Department said they were dealing with at least five separate crime scenes and were trying to assess the number of casualties.

Authorities said the shooting occurred around 8 a.m. in Rancho Tehama, near Red Bluff, about 120 miles northwest of Sacramento.

Tehama County Assistant Sheriff Phil Johnston did not have a total number of victims, but said that “a number” of students had been medically evacuated from the scene. A rifle and handguns were recovered at the scene, he said.

Fog of War is thicker than usual. Guy apparently intended to shoot up the whole town. Witness says some incredible number of rounds was fired at the school, but that's not confirmed. People hear echoes and stuff, and panic. Same reason they always say there were multiple shooters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:43 pm 
Policy Wonk

Northern California shooting: 4 killed, two children wounded, suspect dead

Quote:
......“The crazy thing is that the neighbor has been shooting a lot of bullets lately, hundreds of rounds, large magazines,” Flint said. “We made it aware that this guy is crazy and he’s been threatening us.”

Living near the gunman was "hell," Flint said, and the man was a known felon who often harassed him and his neighbors..........

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

4-Confirmed Dead, including shooter. Wounded includes children. Let's hear it for a nut job shooting things up near a school.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/1 ... -shooting/.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:28 pm 
Policy Wonk

Quote:
.......Among those injured include a child who was shot at the school, Johnston said. A second child who was being driven to school was also shot and suffered non life-threatening injuries. The woman who was driving the child to school was critically injured.

“It was very clear at the onset that we had an individual that was randomly picking targets,” Johnston said.

Johnston said the gunman used a semi-automatic rifle and two handguns in the rampage...........

something to consider, he stole the neighbors car wonder if that was to subject them to the police reaction after the fact.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

But was he a deranged terrorist?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sounds to me like he was a deranged person.

"Terrorist" implies a political goal, so far I've seen nothing political about this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Did anyone else notice this story's total absence from yesterday's TV Nooz? L.A. Times was all over it, but not the broadcast media. Not enough bodies, I guess. It's under 50 dead, nothing to see here folks, move along.

The clown tried to shoot up a whole town. Fortunately for several hundred people, many of them small children, he wasn't very good at it.

Our POTUS, who as we know is always on top of things, said he was glad that the cops and FBI had restored order. Except he tweeted the name of last week's town, not this week's. Here in CA, we do not like being mistaken for Texas, any more than they'd like being confused with a bunch of effete coastal leftie snobs. Give him some more covfefe, please.

And none of this "he was so quiet." Neighbors thought he was nuts. He'd empty large magazines into the air. All those bullets come down, but apparently in some rural areas of murka, that no longer matters.

It started as a domestic. The last guy was mad at his mother in law. This one was apparently mad at his wife. That's a good reason to shoot up a whole town with a military style weapon, or at least it seems to be in these United States.

Once again, had he been Muslim, the Nooz would be wall to wall having people on demanding immediate war. Once again, he wasn't so no big deal. Cost of freedom, and all that. Boys will be boys, and all that.

I've lost count. Is that 3 mass shootings in a month? Dunno. Certainly 3 in the past two months.

-------

1. Semi-automatic rifle, again. Gee, we seem to be having some problems with nut cases buying those pretty much the same way they'd pick up some milk on the way home. Maybe that's a bad idea? No, this is murka, we're free, forget I said anything so subversive.

2. Where's the Good Guy With A Gun? The teachers were unarmed and they saved a whole lot of the kids. It wouldn't have ended that way if some yutz had decided to be a hero and shot it out with a well armed nut case.

3. At what point does this country become uninhabitable?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Did anyone else notice this story's total absence from yesterday's TV Nooz? L.A. Times was all over it, but not the broadcast media. Not enough bodies, I guess. It's under 50 dead, nothing to see here folks, move along.

The clown tried to shoot up a whole town. Fortunately for several hundred people, many of them small children, he wasn't very good at it.

Our POTUS, who as we know is always on top of things, said he was glad that the cops and FBI had restored order. Except he tweeted the name of last week's town, not this week's. Here in CA, we do not like being mistaken for Texas, any more than they'd like being confused with a bunch of effete coastal leftie snobs. Give him some more covfefe, please.

And none of this "he was so quiet." Neighbors thought he was nuts. He'd empty large magazines into the air. All those bullets come down, but apparently in some rural areas of murka, that no longer matters.

It started as a domestic. The last guy was mad at his mother in law. This one was apparently mad at his wife. That's a good reason to shoot up a whole town with a military style weapon, or at least it seems to be in these United States.

Once again, had he been Muslim, the Nooz would be wall to wall having people on demanding immediate war. Once again, he wasn't so no big deal. Cost of freedom, and all that. Boys will be boys, and all that.

I've lost count. Is that 3 mass shootings in a month? Dunno. Certainly 3 in the past two months.

-------

1. Semi-automatic rifle, again. Gee, we seem to be having some problems with nut cases buying those pretty much the same way they'd pick up some milk on the way home. Maybe that's a bad idea? No, this is murka, we're free, forget I said anything so subversive.

2. Where's the Good Guy With A Gun? The teachers were unarmed and they saved a whole lot of the kids. It wouldn't have ended that way if some yutz had decided to be a hero and shot it out with a well armed nut case.

After every mass shooting the response from the NRA and their supporters (gun lobby and their Congressional shills) say "It's to early to talk about gun control." The question for the NRA and their shills is when is the right time to talk about gun control? How about we set the date of February 1, 2018 and have both the House and the Senate start hearing on gun control.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

The right time for the NRA and those bought off by same is never. "Too early" means it's still the Holocene Epoch. This would all be good theater of the absurd if it wasn't making the country uninhabitable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

The right time for the NRA and those bought off by same is never. "Too early" means it's still the Holocene Epoch. This would all be good theater of the absurd if it wasn't making the country uninhabitable.

Maybe its time for you to start appreciating our god given right to our god given democratized gun carnage. Or maybe you would prefer to live in Copenhagen or some other god forsaken shithole full of communists and homosexuals.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Maybe its time for you to start appreciating our god given right to our god given democratized gun carnage. Or maybe you would prefer to live in Copenhagen or some other god forsaken shithole full of communists and homosexuals.

Oooooo. You mean like Manhattan? Well, it's tempting. The last time, a month wasn't long enough.

Though I think I'd prefer Moss, Norway to Copenhagen. It's small, it's pretty, and it's full of artists. And Norwegian, for all its strangeness, is said to be one of the easier languages for Americans to learn. I do know that the syntax is pretty close.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

-------

there was an article that reported this one as the 317th mass shooting on the 318th day of the year

here it is
http://www.abc15.com/news/data/mass-shootings-in-the-u-s-over-270-mass-shootings-have-occurred-in-2017

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oooooo. You mean like Manhattan? Well, it's tempting. The last time, a month wasn't long enough.

Though I think I'd prefer Moss, Norway to Copenhagen. It's small, it's pretty, and it's full of artists. And Norwegian, for all its strangeness, is said to be one of the easier languages for Americans to learn. I do know that the syntax is pretty close.

We have been doing some BBC series marathons recently. Started with "Wallander", which was set in Ystad (near Copenhagen).

Now immersed in "Fortitude" set on a make believe Norwegian island in the middle of nowhere. Very strange indeed. Just started season 2...hoping for a season 3 down the road. Banned in Indonesia...just a little too bloody.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

And Norwegian, for all its strangeness, is said to be one of the easier languages for Americans to learn. I do know that the syntax is pretty close.

Norwegian is a North Germanic/Scandinavian language (along with Swedish, Icelandic, and Danish).

It's probably easier for English speakers to learn Dutch or German proper, as they both are West Germanic/Teutonic languages. So is Anglo-Saxonish (aka English).

(*) Also Frisian, or Scottish.

It's still probably easier for English speakers to learn a North Germanic tongue than a Romance language. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Norwegian is a North Germanic/Scandinavian language (along with Swedish, Icelandic, and Danish).

It's probably easier for English speakers to learn Dutch or German proper, as they both are West Germanic/Teutonic languages. So is Anglo-Saxonish (aka English).

(*) Also Frisian, or Scottish.

It's still probably easier for English speakers to learn a North Germanic tongue than a Romance language. :D

I spent a couple of days in the Netherlands with friends and their Dutch friends told us it's harder for English speaking people to learn Dutch because it's more of a guttural sound than English.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I blame what those Norman French did to those Anglo-Saxons after the 12th century. Softened out many of our gutturals.

It's kinda like Spanish and Portuguese. If you know one, it's easier to learn the other ... that doesn't mean they automatically understand each other. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dutch and German are both more gutteral than English, though all three are Germanic languages.

Portuguese is just enough like Spanish to be annoying. I try to translate it, and can't.

The shooter was a complete whacko. Documented nut case. He went off the cliff, and called his mom to tell her so. He killed his wife on Monday, and stashed the body in the floor, Tell Tale Heart style. He killed his two neighbors who had restraining orders out on him. He was up on ADW charges for said assault that caused the restraining order. Turns out he was a pot farmer, and got mad at the neighbors because he thought they were making meth. In rural California, maybe they were.

Growers were early adopters of semi-automatic rifles. Gotta defend the patch.

The restraining order required that he surrender all firearms. He also had a 211 beef going, which I believe would have precluded purchase in CA. The rifles he had were illegally purchased. Notice how the gun laws we do have never seem to stop anybody.

Let's see, that's three dead now. Then he stole a car and crashed it, so he stole another car. He decided it was time to slaughter an elementary school, the way these people do. He never got into the building, but he completely shot up the outside and injured several inside. He drove away in disgust, killed two more people just for the hell of it, then finally had it out with the cops. The cops won.

Nice guy.

Absolutely everyone saw it coming.

At what point does this country become uninhabitable?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dutch and German are both more gutteral than English, though all three are Germanic languages.

Portuguese is just enough like Spanish to be annoying. I try to translate it, and can't.

The shooter was a complete whacko. Documented nut case. He went off the cliff, and called his mom to tell her so. He killed his wife on Monday, and stashed the body in the floor, Tell Tale Heart style. He killed his two neighbors who had restraining orders out on him. He was up on ADW charges for said assault that caused the restraining order. Turns out he was a pot farmer, and got mad at the neighbors because he thought they were making meth. In rural California, maybe they were.

Growers were early adopters of semi-automatic rifles. Gotta defend the patch.

The restraining order required that he surrender all firearms. He also had a 211 beef going, which I believe would have precluded purchase in CA. The rifles he had were illegally purchased. Notice how the gun laws we do have never seem to stop anybody.

Let's see, that's three dead now. Then he stole a car and crashed it, so he stole another car. He decided it was time to slaughter an elementary school, the way these people do. He never got into the building, but he completely shot up the outside and injured several inside. He drove away in disgust, killed two more people just for the hell of it, then finally had it out with the cops. The cops won.

Nice guy.

Absolutely everyone saw it coming.

Kevin Janson Neal, poster boy for the NRA.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Kevin Janson Neal, poster boy for the NRA.

OK...but a judge ordered him to surrender all his guns in April. If the sheriff's department is doing their fucking job, how does the asshole have any guns?

Quote:

A signed court order following Neal’s arrest in January for attacking his neighbor shows he was ordered on April 1 to surrender all firearms.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hide them?

Seriously, one gets the idea that the cops out there weren't exactly on top of things.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not just America.

The entire planet is rapidly becoming utterly uninhabitable for humans.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:50 pm 
Policy Wonk

OK...but a judge ordered him to surrender all his guns in April. If the sheriff's department is doing their fucking job, how does the asshole have any guns?

California mass shooting suspect killed wife, hid body day before rampage, officials say

Quote:
.......The restraining order, issued in February, specifically prohibited Neal from owning firearms.

Court records show that Neal surrendered his weapons as required by law in February, but Johnston said they recovered two illegally made semi-automatic rifles and two handguns, registered in someone else’s name.

At one point during a Wednesday press conference, Johnston said Neal "was not prohibited from owning firearms."

"As long as he was shooting in a safe manner, he is within the law," Johnston said.

Before Tuesday's mass murder, the Tehama County Sheriff's Office was aware of past incidents in which neighbors reported shots coming from the Neal home, Johnston said..........

Quote:
.......Cristal Caravez and her father live across a ravine from the roadway where the gunman and his first victims lived.

She said they and others heard constant gunfire from the area of the gunman’s house but couldn’t say for sure it was him firing.

“You could hear the yelling. He’d go off the hinges,” she said. The shooting “would be during the day, during the night. I mean, it didn’t matter.”

She and her father, who is president of the community’s homeowners’ association, said neighbors would complain to the sheriff’s department, which referred the complaints back to the homeowners’ association.

“The sheriff wouldn’t do anything about it,” Juan Caravez said........

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

The first person I want to see charged in this fucking massacre is asshole assistant sheriff Phil Johnston. He is also the first asshole I want to see having his ass hauled into civil court for the rest of his fucking life by victims who survived and family members of victims who didn't.