RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

If they are sure they are going to lose the midterm they will go all in on tax cuts and Obama care changes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sure. Their whole plan is to destroy the nation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:24 am 
Policy Wonk

One thing about the GOP, they are really focused on passing their agenda for
if they lose their majorities, they know with a GOP President, there is no way
the Democrats can pass legislation to overturn newly passed tax bills over
Trump's veto. Democrats focus too much on winning the next election.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 am 
Board Emeritus

I am thinking that in hindsight had Pelosi and the rest of the DNC leadership known 8 years ago there were on the way to losing power they would have passed as much of their agenda as possible during Obama's first two years.

It is pretty obvious that the GOP brand thanks to the tea party is once again damaged and in the midterms and next general elections the GOP will be out of power. Giving them 2 years to ram through as many judges and as much legislation as they can.

Tax cuts will give them a life raft for once the Dems have power they will surely raise taxes. It is a good long term strategy for the GOP.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:05 am 
Board Emeritus

I am thinking that in hindsight had Pelosi and the rest of the DNC leadership known 8 years ago there were on the way to losing power they would have passed as much of their agenda as possible during Obama's first two years.

It is pretty obvious that the GOP brand thanks to the tea party is once again damaged and in the midterms and next general elections the GOP will be out of power. Giving them 2 years to ram through as many judges and as much legislation as they can.

Tax cuts will give them a life raft for once the Dems have power they will surely raise taxes. It is a good long term strategy for the GOP.

Won’t argue particularly since the Republicans are tax cut and spend while ignoring deficits while in power and screaming about them while not.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:08 am 
Board Emeritus

Won’t argue particularly since the Republicans are tax cut and spend while ignoring deficits while in power and screaming about them while not.

Guns and butter politics. Courtesy of conservative republicans. The people eat this shit up like burgers and beer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

With all the gerrymandering by republicans they feel they have a reasonable chance of hanging onto Congress after the 2018 elections. After that, it's back to normal business of continued voter suppression to ensure republicans have an unfair advantage in getting elected and screwing average Americans.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Last night one of the houses, the Senate I think, stuck Obamacare recall into the tax plan. There are also rumors making the Internet rounds about a Medicare cut.

These guys must have a death wish for their party. (I already knew they wanted US dead.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

With all the gerrymandering by republicans they feel they have a reasonable chance of hanging onto Congress after the 2018 elections. After that, it's back to normal business of continued voter suppression to ensure republicans have an unfair advantage in getting elected and screwing average Americans.

First the Gerrymandering Claims are 90% bullshit. If anything the GOP being in charge of so many statehouses is preventing the DNC from Gerrymandering Districts.

Second the DNC racking up loss after loss is mainly due to the terrible leadership at the top. As an example my district in SC could have easily been won in the special election. But DNC leadership wanted to win Mr Newts old district so they could poke their finger in the eye of the GOP while saying nah nah nah. So the pissed away somewhere around 25 million.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

First the Gerrymandering Claims are 90% bullshit. If anything the GOP being in charge of so many statehouses is preventing the DNC from Gerrymandering Districts.

Second the DNC racking up loss after loss is mainly due to the terrible leadership at the top. As an example my district in SC could have easily been won in the special election. But DNC leadership wanted to win Mr Newts old district so they could poke their finger in the eye of the GOP while saying nah nah nah. So the pissed away somewhere around 25 million.

So you're saying the GOP is gerrymandering to prevent the DNC from gerrymandering? :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have this crazy idea, and hear me out.

How about every state simply creates a bi/non partisan commission who draws the lines for congressional and legislative districts?

Simply make this a non or a-political process. It doesn't matter which party controls the state legislature. The redistricting entity basically uses the same algorithms for apportionment based on the census regardless of which party is dominant.

Sound like a wild crazy idea? I just heard the other day this is exactly how Iowa does it.

http://www.timesunion.com/opinion/artic ... 336319.php

I don't know if I really agree with their demand to do first in line every year for the primaries :D , but I think this is an idea of theirs the other 49 states should copy.

I'm sick of this "both sides do it" argument. Might even be true, but I'm tired of it as an excuse for not coming up with the solution, which is not to allow any "side" to control the process.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have this crazy idea, and hear me out.

How about every state simply creates a bi/non partisan commission who draws the lines for congressional and legislative districts?

Simply make this a non or a-political process. It doesn't matter which party controls the state legislature. The redistricting entity basically uses the same algorithms for apportionment based on the census regardless of which party is dominant.

Sound like a wild crazy idea? I just heard the other day this is exactly how Iowa does it.

http://www.timesunion.com/opinion/artic ... 336319.php

I don't know if I really agree with their demand to do first in line every year for the primaries :D , but I think this is an idea of theirs the other 49 states should copy.

I'm sick of this "both sides do it" argument. Might even be true, but I'm tired of it as an excuse for not coming up with the solution, which is not to allow any "side" to control the process.

If we were to have that nationwide I believe we would see a change in the manner both parties legislate in the House. They would be much more accountable to the people in their districts especially in the flyover states many on the left seem to despise. Elected Democrats and Republicans would have to be more moderate and less leaning towards the extremes of their parties.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

So you're saying the GOP is gerrymandering to prevent the DNC from gerrymandering? :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw) :rw)

When the day comes that the DNC has the power to do so they will redraw lines so that 5% to 10% of their current safe districts will become part of districts they now lose by 10 or fewer points.