Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:17 pm 
Policy Wonk

Judge declares mistrial in Menendez bribery case

Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez's bribery trial ends with mistrial after jury can't reach unanimous verdict.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/judge ... ar-BBF3gp4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Good!

I was worried about the timing. Chris Christie will still be Governor of New Jersey until January 19.

If instead of a hung jury, they had convicted Menendez, (I would imagine he's guilty), the Senate could have moved fast to push him out and Christie could appoint a Republican in his stead.

I would think they will have another trial. I don't care a bit if the state of New Jersey, or the Federal government whoever has to, has to pay for another trial.

I don't care if in the next trial they find him guilty, I don't care for BOB, I care about his stead.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

It will be interesting to see where the incoming Democratic administration takes this. Personally I think he should resign from the senate and the charges be dropped. Not because he isn't guilty as he probably is but, because why waste more tax dollars and tie up the courts and prosecutors when even if he is convicted nothing is going to happen to him. He has already lost his honor and his good name. Hopefully New Jersey Democrats are wise enough to never vote for him again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's fine Glen as long as it happens after January 19th. Up until then I don't give a hoot about the tax dollar money.

We pay tax dollars for Trump's New Jersey golfing travel and security. One of those weekend jaunts for him costs many times the cost of another trial for Menendez.

Republicans know where to begin to save some tax dollars if they really care.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's fine Glen as long as it happens after January 19th. Up until then I done't give a hoot about the money.

We pay tax dollars for Trump's New Jersey golfing travel and security. One of those weekend jaunts for him costs many times the cost of another trial for Menendez. Republicans know where to begin to save some tax dollars if they really care.

I totally understand waiting until after the 19th to resign and if he were a Republican the current Gov a Democrat and the incoming Gov a Republican I would be very happy about the hung jury. Of course we know what many here would be accusing me of doing. Putting party over country.

However I have noticed not one of those has called for Menendez to resign....Hmmmmm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:33 pm 
Policy Wonk

The whole thing Menendez stinks. He has always struck me as a slime ball.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

It will be interesting to see where the incoming Democratic administration takes this. Personally I think he should resign from the senate and the charges be dropped. Not because he isn't guilty as he probably is but, because why waste more tax dollars and tie up the courts and prosecutors when even if he is convicted nothing is going to happen to him. He has already lost his honor and his good name. Hopefully New Jersey Democrats are wise enough to never vote for him again.

Menendez is up for reelection next year. The trial ended in a hung jury (10 - 2 acquittal vote) so now it's up to federal prosecutors to determine if they want to re-try him. Until he's found guilty there's little justification for him to resign other than people's personal feelings and people in power don't resign because of people's feelings. The Senate could remove him from office but I doubt that would happen before the governor-elect takes office so the chances of Christie appoint someone to that seat is nearly nil. I suspect if Menendez runs for reelection the Democratic voters of New Jersey will vote for his primary challenger.

Edited to change "guilty" to "acquittal."

Last edited by Number6 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Considering who you Republicans vote for, I wouldn't be casting stones about the 'wise" voters of our side.