RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

The Keystone Oil Pipeline has sprung a leak....to the tune of Two Hundred Ten Thousand (210,000) gallons.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... db39ee55f6.

The spill occurs days before a crucial decision by the Nebraska Public Service Commission over whether to grant a new permit for a new, long delayed sister pipeline called Keystone XL.

Native Americans have protested the proposed pipeline, saying that crosses vast area of land sacred to them.

My idea is very simple.

Find a huge swath of land that includes a cemetary important to the local WHITE Population and build the pipeline there. Let's see how White People feel about Oil spilling on the Mother's Grave.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

well, we all knew it would happen. now if but when.

its as if all the frets people tried to deal with, look at, plan for, avoid, in the 60's from over-population
to clear cutting the forests to moving crude across the land to sell for private profits...all
the things people have screamed about for over 50years...has all come to be.

why, its as if "the people" dont fucking matter, ya know?
oh wait we wailed about that too.

the rush to denude and extract and strip this country keeps gaining momentum.
makes one wonder why the rush. why the rush to make even more mass of money
beyond what the 1-2% already have pillaged from the planets populations.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:22 pm 
Policy Wonk

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
:arrow: This spill should be a great incentive for the Nebraska Public Service Commission to deny Keystone XL permit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

...THIRTY FIVE SPILLS IN THE FIRST YEAR.

pipes are found to be..."corroded".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

that thick bitumen crude rotted the pipes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:53 am 
Board Emeritus

Who fuckin' cares? All that matters is jobs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:05 pm 

I'm surprised they had that much corrosion in such a short time. Corrosion protection readings are taken before install, and regularly after install.

PHMSA and state regulators are going to look closely at this. They have a report already but it's not yet been released, i would be interested in reading that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:16 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'm surprised they had that much corrosion in such a short time. Corrosion protection readings are taken before install, and regularly after install.

PHMSA and state regulators are going to look closely at this. They have a report already but it's not yet been released, i would be interested in reading that.

didn't they get rid of the red tape regulations to proceed faster? maybe it wasn't necessary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:50 pm 

didn't they get rid of the red tape regulations to proceed faster? maybe it wasn't necessary

I'm not sure, I work with natural gas pipelines, corrosion readings are pretty serious, but I don't know the regulations with oil. This was a 2010 pipeline, we have some going back to the 50s thag are fine. I want to see that report someday.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:02 pm 

Not that I'm aware of - at least not in the Dakota's.

I followed the Public Utilities Commission hearings on this one. No shortcuts were taken in the review process.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

Trump Signs Executive Orders To Get The Keystone And Dakota Pipelines Going

Quote:
.........Trump also signed orders to streamline the environmental reviews of projects that are deemed a "high priority.".........

Donald Trump signs executive order to cut regulatory burden on business

also gets to eliminate 2 regulations for every new one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

I haven't seen anything I would find credible that would indicate that they had a corrosion issue which caused this leak. I expect someone on the Internet said it. :|

This pipe line has been in use since 2010, and has had four leaks. Two at pumping stations where the spill was contained in a spill containment pond made for that propose. Two between pumping stations which involved the main pipe.

The other leak between the stations had a pin hole on a weld in the 6 o'clock position where the weld joins itself. It leaked about two drops per minute for perhaps several years before it was spotted. I think they estimated that it leaked a total of about 400 barrels of oil.

A leak of 210,000 Gallons sounds like a lot. If they said it in liters it would be about 800,000, that sounds like even more. This was about a 5,000 barrel leak in the units which oil leaks are usually discussed, that sounds like less.

A DOT-111 railroad tank car can carry 822 barrels of oil, which means this leak was about equivalent to a 6 car derailment and spill. I'll quote some DOT-111 railroad tank car spill statistics from the last several years from the Wikipedia page for Canadian and Dakota crude oil. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT-111_tank_car

"The Montreal, Maine and Atlantic Railway runaway train in the Lac-Mégantic derailment of July 2013 was made up of 72 of these cars, some of which ruptured, releasing explosively their cargo of Bakken formation light crude oil, resulting in a large fire and mass casualty event."

"A November 2013 derailment near Aliceville, in Pickens County, Alabama involved a similar explosion of North Dakota crude oil. The Genesee & Wyoming company was the carrier for this 90-car train, of which 20 derailed and exploded. The train originated in Amory, Mississippi and was scheduled for a pipeline terminal in Walnut Hill, Florida that is owned by Genesis Energy. The final destination for the shipment was to have been the Shell Oil refinery in Mobile, Alabama. The accident happened in a depopulated wetlands area."

"On 30 December 2013, a similar explosion occurred in Casselton, North Dakota causing the town to be evacuated. The BNSF train was 106 cars and 1.6 km long, of which at least 10 car were destroyed."

"On 7 January 2014, 17 cars of a 122-car train derailed and exploded near Plaster Rock, New Brunswick."

That list is at Wikipedia nowhere near complete:
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... nt_is.html

"April 30 2014: Fifteen cars of a crude oil train derailed in Lynchburg, Virginia, near a railside eatery and a pedestrian waterfront, sending flames and black smoke into the air. Nearly 30,000 gallons of oil were spilled into the James River."

"Feb. 16, 2015 A train carrying 3 million gallons of North Dakota crude derailed during a snowstorm , sparking a massive fireball near Mount Carbon, West Virginia. Firefighters had little choice but to let the tanks burn themselves out, which took nearly a week. Leaking oil into a Kanawha River tributary and burning a house to its foundation."

"March 10 2015: Twenty-one cars of a 105-car Burlington Northern Santa Fe train hauling oil from the Bakken region of North Dakota derailed about 3 miles outside Galena, Illinois, a town of about 3,000 in the state's northwest corner."

"March 7 2015: A 94-car Canadian National Railway crude oil train derailed about 3 miles outside the northern Ontario town of Gogama. The resulting fire destroyed a bridge. The accident was 23 miles from the Feb. 14 derailment."

"May 6 2015: A 109-car Burlington Northern Santa Fe crude oil train derails near Heimdal, North Dakota. Six cars exploded into flames and an estimated 60,000 gallons of oil spilled."

"July 16 2015: More than 20 cars from a 108-car Burlington Northern Santa Fe oil train derailed east of Culbertson, Montana, spilling an estimated 35,000 gallons of oil."

"Nov. 7 2015: More than a dozen cars loaded with crude oil derail from a Canadian Pacific Railway train prompting the evacuation of dozens of homes near Watertown, Wisconsin."

"June 3 2016: A Union Pacific train hauling crude oil derails in Oregon's Columbia River Gorge near Mosier, sparking a large fire."

Pipelines are better than trains for carrying oil. :|

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:26 pm 

You are correct Sam I looked at the site I saw and it was a different date, my apologies.

Pipelines are heavily regulated and you are correct safer then rail.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

You are correct Sam I looked at the site I saw and it was a different date, my apologies.

Pipelines are heavily regulated and you are correct safer then rail.

I didn't know where you were getting it. I did see someone else here mention it too.

Are you a union fitter?

I'm a UA steamfitter. Later, in a two or three months I'll be able to read about the details of this leak in our glossy trade journal. I get a lot of pipeline news because my brothers build them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:32 am 

Yeah I am, fuser only though. I work for a utility so we dabble in everything, I don't call myself a pipeliner though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:51 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah I am, fuser only though. I work for a utility so we dabble in everything, I don't call myself a pipeliner though.

I've never worked on a pipeline crew either. I specialized in refrigeration and boiler systems. Did a lot of instrumentation and control work as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:51 am 
Board Emeritus

Rail transport is problematic because the rail infrastructure is problematic.

Pipelines are coated on the exterior generally with FBE, fusion bonded epoxy, which is a fancy way of saying specialized powder coating. They may have what is called a rock shield to protect the FBE when the trench is back-filled. This can be polyurethane or other materials. There are also petrolatum tapes used. The welds connecting sections of pipe are not shop coated as welding through the coating can cause poor welds. The connections are coated in the field with various materials.

The interiors can be coated in the shop with polyurethanes, epoxies or vinyl esters. One coating manufacturer I know can coat the interior of buried pipe up to 20 kilometers at a shot utilizing surface preparation pigs following by special designed vinyl ester and a pig that makes sure the vinyl ester is the correct thickness.

Pipelines are also protected by cathodic protection using sacrificial anodes or impressed current. The coatings that are used have to be resistant to cathodic disbondment.

One of the issues in pipe is abrasion which wears through coatings and the pipe itself. If pipes are not maintained just like any other infrastructure they will fail.

Btw, John D. Rockefeller started shipping by pipeline when he wasn’t satisfied with how much control he could wield over railroads iirc.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:17 pm 

You seem pretty knowledge bird were you in the field?

The c.p. maintenance of pipelines is imo the most interesting aspect of the job and is heavily regulated for good reason. We have not had any changes so far that have lessened these regulations. Most companies want their system maintened, and the fines are costly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 pm 

I've never worked on a pipeline crew either. I specialized in refrigeration and boiler systems. Did a lot of instrumentation and control work as well.

What kind of boilers did you do? Large industrial? Control work always intrigued me but I'm color blind, never was gonna work out for me haha.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

What kind of boilers did you do? Large industrial? Control work always intrigued me but I'm color blind, never was gonna work out for me haha.

Years ago I worked at the Four Corners power plant refitting units 1, 2 and 3 with better stack scrubbers, those units are permanently shut down now. They're the ones on the right in this photo. There are only two stacks because units 2 and 3 used a common stack. Units 4 and 5 are still operating, they are the big ones to the left.

This photo is from 1972. I grew up breathing that crap. The new scrubbers cleaned it up a lot, but it still was putting out crap you couldn't see. "Apparently the astronauts of the Mercury missions reported that they could see two human-constructed things from space: one was the Great Wall of China and the other was the "plume streaming from Four Corners Power Plant." -- wiki

I want to see all of the coal powered boilers in the world shut down forever. :|

From there I've worked on a lot of boilers, from that size down to 10 and 20 horsepower, and two steam ships at sea. After I switched to Refrigeration I didn't work on many. I've fired gas boilers which were fed with up to a six inch gas line.

Because I could do control work was the reason I was able to switch when I was still pretty young and get out of the nasty dirty insides of those boilers. If I hadn't switched when I did I wouldn't still be alive today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

You seem pretty knowledge bird were you in the field?

The c.p. maintenance of pipelines is imo the most interesting aspect of the job and is heavily regulated for good reason. We have not had any changes so far that have lessened these regulations. Most companies want their system maintened, and the fines are costly.

Yes and no. I have been selling protective coatings and linings for what seems an eternity. Oil & gas, water and wastewater and so on.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus