RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Like I said somewhere else, it seems to be a shortage of trailers and drivers to move them. A lot of frantic appeals went out on twitter, but in these conditions with roads closed and everyone fleeing, that's not going to help much. Then I keep reading that the large animal facilities are full. At one point yesterday, they were sending horses way out to Lancaster.

Obviously the way we take care of horses in SoCal needs a major rethink. I wonder who's got the money.

Many of the horses went to Del Mar where the race track is located. They're asking for food and water for the volunteers and requesting the public for feed, hay, bedding, etc. for the horses.

I think the problem with the way we take care of horses in SoCal is we rely on large facilities to stable them without considering how to evacuate them. In the San Diego fire, the main freeway is SR-76 which connects to the I-15 and closer to the coast the I-5 and on normal day SR-76 is congested. Add a fire and SR-15 becomes more congested with people evacuating as well as trying to get horse trailers in and out of the San Luis Rey training center. Even stuffing as many horses into a trailer to get them to Del Mar means it'll take a long time going from the training center and then returning because the fire was happening as rush hour was beginning and grew worst as the afternoon progressed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

they generally use fairgrounds for large animal evacs.
they could use the baseball stadium the football stadium but...they dont.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

they generally use fairgrounds for large animal evacs.
they could use the baseball stadium the football stadium but...they dont.

Petco Park, the baseball stadium, is located in downtown San Diego just off Harbor Drive and it would be a nightmare trying to fight the traffic to get the animals there. SDCCU Stadium, formerly Qualcomm Stadium where the Charge used to play, is about 40 miles directly South off the I-15 from the Lilac Fire so taking them there would mean a very long round trip during rush hour. Non-rush hour would take about 45 minutes one-way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Petco Park, the baseball stadium, is located in downtown San Diego just off Harbor Drive and it would be a nightmare trying to fight the traffic to get the animals there. SDCCU Stadium, formerly Qualcomm Stadium where the Charge used to play, is about 40 miles directly South off the I-15 from the Lilac Fire so taking them there would mean a very long round trip during rush hour. Non-rush hour would take about 45 minutes one-way.

the time doesnt matter if you plan to save the large animals.
haymanFire in CO they moved the large animal evac Three times. those horses/livestock were moved
from fairgrounds in woodland park down to CS then out to where i lived. embers were coming down the
pass and could have begun more fire Near the equestrian facility in CS. so, they moved them again
out east to the palmer divide. thats over 60miles from start to finish thru CSprings traffic.

its what people with horse trailers do: move horses. its what they do in fires. they will cut the fence
take the horse and Move it. the problem generally is where to move the horses. which is why big
facilities turn themselves over to evac ops for large and small animals.

in this case in CA....there is no safe place. if i were there at this point having lost everything
but with my horses in a trailer?....I would Just Head East and GTFO of there. adios SoCal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

these areas, these places that are scarred and burned, they will not recover.
the officials talking about we will recover we will rebuild....yah, prolly not too well.

most people who lost homes will never recover them. they wont get rebuilt. the cost is
astronomical to rebuild all this housing let alone on a one by one basis of INS and personal
cost re new mortgages and financing. most of those people prolly are retired or their jobs are
now gone also.
they dont recover from these incidents. not at all like they lived before. most become homeless
of one variety or another. they all buy RVs now. they dont have much choice.
the land doesnt recover at all like it was. the water is low and will get lower now.

theyre all traumatized. they will never see some of their neighbor friends again. people
disperse because they have to now. loss comes from all fronts..even if you didnt lose anything
tangible. its like a loss of innocence.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

these areas, these places that are scarred and burned, they will not recover.
the officials talking about we will recover we will rebuild....yah, prolly not too well.

most people who lost homes will never recover them. they wont get rebuilt. the cost is
astronomical to rebuild all this housing let alone on a one by one basis of INS and personal
cost re new mortgages and financing. most of those people prolly are retired or their jobs are
now gone also.
they dont recover from these incidents. not at all like they lived before. most become homeless
of one variety or another. they all buy RVs now. they dont have much choice.
the land doesnt recover at all like it was. the water is low and will get lower now.

theyre all traumatized. they will never see some of their neighbor friends again. people
disperse because they have to now. loss comes from all fronts..even if you didnt lose anything
tangible. its like a loss of innocence.

That's probably true in the more rural areas up in the hills and canyons. This being greater Los Angeles, I would imagine that indeed people will be displaced, and when new ones come in, they'll be in the upper-middle to upper class, because that's the only ones who can afford houses in the New Gilded Age.

Some of those canyons shouldn't have humans living in them anyway. They are disasters waiting to happen. They're basically wind tunnels. We should let them go feral, let them burn every 10 years they way they evolved to do, and have them absorbing CO2 and generating oxygen for us the rest of the time. But we won't.

The older or poorer displaced people may well end up in RVs out on the desert somewhere. Developers will snap up the land and build McMansions on spec for the rich. Consider it forced gentrification.

Fortunately, not a lot of people in L.A. have been displaced. It's worse in Ventura and San Diego Counties.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

the time doesnt matter if you plan to save the large animals.
haymanFire in CO they moved the large animal evac Three times. those horses/livestock were moved
from fairgrounds in woodland park down to CS then out to where i lived. embers were coming down the
pass and could have begun more fire Near the equestrian facility in CS. so, they moved them again
out east to the palmer divide. thats over 60miles from start to finish thru CSprings traffic.

its what people with horse trailers do: move horses. its what they do in fires. they will cut the fence
take the horse and Move it. the problem generally is where to move the horses. which is why big
facilities turn themselves over to evac ops for large and small animals.

in this case in CA....there is no safe place. if i were there at this point having lost everything
but with my horses in a trailer?....I would Just Head East and GTFO of there. adios SoCal.

Time does matter. The majority of San Diego County's population lives between the mountains and the sea which is distance of about 25 miles. With this large of a population in such a small area of land traffic becomes congested very easily. Whether it is due to rush hour, an accident, or a wildfire any small disruption of traffic causes traffic to backup. Trying to evacuate any area in the county only increases traffic congestion.

We are experiencing Santa Ana winds which is caused by a high pressure dome over the Great Basin (Four Corners) forcing hot winds toward the Pacific Ocean. Once the Santa Ana winds clear the mountains in San Diego County they increase in velocity attaining speeds of 40 mph, 50 mph, even to hurricane strength speeds. Any spark that starts a fire immediately is picked up and blow to other areas and the process continues until either the winds die down or firefighters contain the fires(s). Fire blown by 40+ mph winds doesn't give anyone much time to evacuate let alone evacuate horses especially when you have a center with 500 horses. You could have 500 horse trailers with 500 trucks with 500 drivers and still not be able to evacuate all the horses due to the increased traffic caused by people evacuating from the fire.

What needs to be done is to have facilities like the San Luis Rey training center have realistic evacuation plans and the means to evacuate the horses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

California burns while texas gets snow

South Texas has more snow than Detroit - and doesn't know what to do

Quote:
Texans as far south as Corpus Christi woke up to several inches of snow this morning while Detroiters are still patiently waiting

In Michigan, this would be a normal Friday.

In Texas, it's hysteria.

Residents in the Lone Star State, even those as far south as Corpus Christi, woke up to a blanket of snow this morning, with accumulations reported around 2-3 inches in some areas.

For some perspective, this is the first accumulation of snow in Corpus Christi since 2004. And San Antonio - which got up to 2.5 inches of snow, according to the National Weather Service - saw its highest accumulation since 1985.

So as you can imagine, everything shut down. Texans across the state were baffled. Social media blew up with photos and videos of the phenomenon, showing cars and streets and houses covered in white. Schools throughout the southern part of the state canceled classes. ...........

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

> San Diego North County road congestion

That's a problem in our hills too. Usually there are two exit routes, but if fire blocks one it dumps the traffic from mass evacuations onto the other one, which isn't built for it. Meanwhile the fire fighters and horse transporters are trying to get in, and the result is chaos.

Horses are being added to this mess. They're big, and can't ride in the back seat.

What's needed is for these high-priced training facilities to have realistic evac plans, and drill them every so often. This means a better plan than opening a gate and trying to get all the horses to run out of it. But you just said that.

The problem in the Creek fire was also the number of places where horses were kept, which was in the several hundred range, and the shortage of means to transport all of them. However, the mass casualties were indeed at a ranch that just simply ran out of time and had no realistic evac plan.

I stand by my statement that SoCal needs to review the evacuation and temporary boarding of horses in wildfires.

----------

The average number of Santa Ana wind days in December is 10. This current "event," as the weather people like to call these, is going to use up 8-10 of them right there, with 2/3 of the month to go. This is not an average year. Weather averages tend to be over the past 30 years, but the climate change has been so fast that even that is probably off.

Studies have given conflicting results on whether the number of Santa Ana days will increase, or it'll stay the same only more severe. Both are deal killers with me. I've lost whatever small regard I still had for Southern California.

I have a headache again today. It also dries out your skin, and everything itches. Humans are not evolved for this.

----------

The weather pattern that causes the strongest and longest Santa Ana winds is the same one that causes snow in Texas and severe winter storms like the one in the NE US. The high pressure deflects the jet stream and warps the polar vortex. If it's in the east, the west gets cold and unsettled. If it's in the west, the whole thing flips. If it's straight east-west, the cold weather stays in Canada.

This is called the long wave pattern and it drives the winter weather in North America. It can reorganize all the weather on this continent in a matter of a couple of days.

The future seems to be that this pattern will be rolling loaded dice, favoring the hot dry west scenario. We're dealing with chaotic behavior of turbulent air masses here, so anything goes, but that does indeed seem to be what's happening. It's too short an interval for trustworthy data, though. Mostly I'm going on common sense. It seems that for most of my adult life there have been highs parked over the western US in "winter." L.A. has dried out, and that can be measured. Trust me, it has.

30 degree day-night temperature swings are common now, and that never used to happen. 25 was it. That's new. Something's different.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

The stats on the Thomas Fire are becoming amazing.

Latest report from CAL FIRE:

173,000 acres - 15% contained
15,000 structures threatened
537 Structures Destroyed, 118 Structures Damaged
Total Fire Personnel: 4,435

A fire that large is like a weather phenomenon. It creates its own wind, and the updrafts form cumulus clouds. Occasionally, there is even thunder and lightning.

The best you can do is mitigate the loss of life and property.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thomas Fire status at 7 AM on December 11:

http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incident ... Index/1922

230,500 acres - 15% contained (57,500 acre growth in 24 hours)
5th largest fire in modern California history
18,000 structures threatened
794 Structures Destroyed, 187 Structures Damaged
Total fire personnel: 6,397

Severe fire weather will continue to promote significant fire growth further into Santa Barbara County, threatening the communities of Montecito and Summerland. Gusty Santa Ana winds will continue to push fire to the west while very low fuel moistures, high temperatures and single-digit relative humidities will support fire growth on the west and north sides. Extreme fire behavior will continue to hamper control efforts. Firefighters will remain engaged in structure defense operations and scout for opportunities to establish direct perimeter control. Gusty northeast winds will cause the fire to threaten areas of the city of Santa Barbara. Fire will continue to threaten the communities of Carpenteria, Summerland, Montecito and surrounding areas. Evacuation operations will occur ahead of westward fire growth. Contingency groups will work to establish contingency line in Santa Barbara County in the areas of Windy Point, Camino Cielo and Foothills. Identification of potential control features in the north and east will continue.

------------------------

UC Santa Barbara, which is actually in Goleta, has postponed final exams until early next year. In other words, students go on vacation, come back for the new quarter, and they have to cram all over again and take their finals from the old one. This is inhuman. They should cancel them altogether. Of course, then you're stuck with your grade before the final.

Power to the campus goes on and off, and the smoke is said to be thick and choking.

------------------------

Many communities and organizations in Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties are giving out or selling respirator masks. Paint masks won't work. You need the full 3M industrial standard respirator.

------------------------

Many school districts are closed until next year. Ventura is still on boil water orders. The 101 highway is open or closed depending on the situation at the time.

------------------------

Photos show classic signs of a fire that has become the weather itself. Huge pyrocumulus clouds that look like summer thunderstorms are visible for hundreds of miles. They have developed anvil tops. Other parts of the fire have sent up mushroom clouds like a nuclear bomb would make.

------------------------

Nooz is pretty much back to following the president around and hanging on its every word. KEYT channel 3 in Santa Barbara is pretty good, but as always I can't get the stream to work out-of-market. Even if I allow the 10-20 scripts and trackers that are typical for this kind of page, I get the sorry charlie.

Someone in the unified command has links to a good map of evac zones and active burn areas. It overlays them on Google Maps, and screen grabs don't get it all. Unless you have lived in the area, it's all abstract anyway. If you have, it's apocalyptic. You have to enlarge your idea of what's a big fire.

Weather down here in L.A. remains very weird. We went to a concert last night. This time of year, one would expect to come out in temperatures around 55 degrees. It was 70. That's just wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

I got KEYT's stream to work by allowing something like 30 trackers, ad providers, analytics, and goodness knows what else. It's amazing. Facebook is keeping track of who watches the stream from a local TV channel in Santa Barbara. Etc.

2 minutes later they resumed normal programming. Residents can now watch soap operas while the hills above their city burn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Lilac Fire in San Diego County is around 70% contained. It's not even close to the size of the fire in L.A. County but at least here the end of it is in sight.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

humans Never get over incidents, events, like this. its like the bombing of london ww2,
you move on but you Never get over this shit. life has changed ForEver for All these people
and for most whove been watching it on daily coverage.
its not diff from that day in NYC.

you dont get over this shit. you can learn to live with your emotions and visions your eyes have seen.

its not diff than syria, lebanon, sudan or jersey, or any other place where multitudes of human kind
are left to suck it up and tuff it out.

somehow here in merica we were taught we could save or change anything which we've all realized
is a fairy tale told by fools to make a trap for fools.
"Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

I never got over the first Bel-Air fire, which burned to the sea and was stopped only by a wind shift. I was a real little kid. It felt like the end of the world. There was nothing else on TV for a week. I got a much milder form of PTSD where I'd hear or smell things at night and have to get up and look for that red glow. I got over that, but I suspect it's in there somewhere. Maybe that's why I post about the Thomas Fire when this culture has declared it last week's news and moved on.

---------------

We had another Bel-Air fire last week, but for various reasons, mostly meteorological, it was stopped at 422 acres. Not out, not contained, but stopped. There's no smoke any more, even at UCLA. There are no aircraft that I can see or hear on the scanner. All evacuated people went back two days ago. Presumably, FD is encircling and cold-trailing it before they can declare containment. Both are difficult in near-vertical terrain.

---------------

The Thomas Fire is catching up with the Zaca Fire in acreage. That one is the modern standard for a big fire, burning for months in a fairly similar area. The brush is evolved to burn every 10 years or so, and it grew back in record time. It's very oily, and when the weather dries out you can feel it getting ready to burn. Really. It oozes some kind of gas and says come and get me. Pyrotechnic pheremones. Sometimes you smell it too. I'm not making this up. Along with thinking every truck hitting a bump is an earthquake, this is essential for an understanding of Southern California.

---------------

The Thomas Fire, 5th largest in CA history, has two widely separated points of ignition, both well away from anything including power lines, deep in the wilderness. The cause is listed as undetermined, but I can only think of three possibilities: Men, women, or children. Probably someone who wanted to start a fire, though that remains to be seen. If true, they can now claim one thing they succeeded at in their miserable life. Of course, they can't tell anybody. Oops.

One dreads the day when Russian agents start fires, and POTUS orders us not to fight them.</sarcasm>

---------------

Today's stats, which look a lot like yesterday's stats, indicating to me that they had better things to do than count everything up:

234,200 acres - 20% contained
Structure count unchanged
6397 fire personnel, 856 engines, 113 crews, 27 helicopters, 67 fire dozers

(Fire dozers are the biggest Cats made, adapted for fire fighting. They can turn brushy terrain into dirt very quickly. The only comparable machines on the planet are used in occupied lands by the Israeli military. And they don't have to contend with 45 degree slopes.)

Summary:

Severe fire weather will continue to promote significant fire growth further into Santa Barbara County, threatening the communities of Montecito and Summerland. Gusty Santa Ana winds will continue to push fire to the west while very low fuel moistures, high temperatures and single-digit relative humidities will support fire growth on the west and north sides. Extreme fire behavior will continue to hamper control efforts. Firefighters will remain engaged in structure defense operations and scout for opportunities to establish direct perimeter control. Gusty northeast winds will cause the fire to threaten areas of the city of Santa Barbara. Fire will continue to threaten the communities of Carpenteria, Summerland, Montecito and surrounding areas. Evacuation operations will occur ahead of westward fire growth. Contingency groups will work to establish contingency line in Santa Barbara County in the areas of Windy Point, Camino Cielo and Foothills. Identification of potential control features in the north and east will continue.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

I never got over the first Bel-Air fire, which burned to the sea and was stopped only by a wind shift. I was a real little kid. It felt like the end of the world. There was nothing else on TV for a week. I got a much milder form of PTSD where I'd hear or smell things at night and have to get up and look for that red glow. I got over that, but I suspect it's in there somewhere. Maybe that's why I post about the Thomas Fire when this culture has declared it last week's news and moved on.

Most likely, you've retained the fear from the Bel-Air fire somewhere in the recesses of your mind. Humans tend to unconsciously remember things for future use and I believe it reinforces part of our inborn "fight or flight" instincts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Most likely, you are right.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

------------------------

UC Santa Barbara, which is actually in Goleta, has postponed final exams until early next year. In other words, students go on vacation, come back for the new quarter, and they have to cram all over again and take their finals from the old one. This is inhuman. They should cancel them altogether. Of course, then you're stuck with your grade before the final.

Power to the campus goes on and off, and the smoke is said to be thick and choking.

------------------------

I know a few profs there, one of which I understand is staying with friends north. Her husband just died earlier in the year. Crazy times. I wrote one last night hoping to check in with her. The third is still on FB like normal, so that's something.

And today, the may of my city just upped and died, just like that. He was only 65. :(

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:46 am 
Policy Wonk

Incarcerated women risk their lives fighting California fires. It’s part of a long history of prison labor

Quote:
For most of the 23 years Romarilyn Ralston spent in a California prison, she made 37 cents an hour, unable to afford crafty birthday cards for her two sons, let alone the financial support she desperately wanted to give them.

Ralston did clerical and recreational work at the California Institution for Women in Chino, while voluntarily training women who have recently made national headlines for being on the front lines of the state’s biggest wildfires. The state has deployed more than 15,000 people to combat fires ripping through more than 220,000 acres in recent weeks, including as many as 1,600 trained inmates who earn, at the high end, a base pay of close to $2 a day.

Ralston said her friends on the outside were shocked to hear about the low wages and the tough work, and she, as well as a woman who said she trained for the program, said it deserves much more scrutiny.

Describing dangerous, backbreaking labor — they use hoes and chainsaws to manipulate the landscape and redirect fires in their tracks — Ralston compared it to a slave-era practice.

“Prisoners are leased out and thrown down to public and private corporations for labor,” she said. “That’s part of the convict-leasing system from Reconstruction, unfortunately, and it’s shameful.”...........

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've seen the convict crews in action. They look like any other firefighters, geared up and knowing what to do. They get out of the same vehicles. The main difference is that a guy with a rifle comes along to guard them.

I've been told that even though it's hard, dirty, smoky work for practically zero pay, it beats rotting in a cell. After reading this, I'm not as sure.

------------

We have a definitive cause for the Skirball Fire (the one that threatened to eat hoidy-toidy Bel Air). Yes, as suspected, it started in a cooking campfire at one of several homeless encampments hidden in ravines near the freeway. The city council is making the usual flap about homelessness being out of control in L.A.. It will have the usual result, as in none whatsoever.

------------

Maximum flapping in hoidy-toidy Montecito, the rich folks' hillside enclave outside Santa Barbara. People whose bodies and faces are as architectonic as their palatial homes are all over the Nooz. Some are B-list celebrities, making the potential tragedy even more shocking, or so we are told to believe.

Tell you what... it's tragic no matter who it happens to, and there are no degrees of tragedy based on property value.

------------

Van Nuys Airport yesterday measured a humidity of 1%. That's as low as it can go. 0% is unattainable in the real world.

------------

The Thomas Fire is slowing down, at least by Thomas Fire standards.

Today's 7 AM stats:

237,500 acres - 25% contained
921 Structures Destroyed, 200 Structures Damaged
7,956 total fire personnel
983 fire engines, 152 crews, 27 helicopters, 79 fire dozers
Daytime air tankers include a converted 747

Much of the spectacular footage on the Nooz is actually backfiring operations at the bases of ridges. They burn out fuel in a manner that takes the fire away from structures. When the main fire gets there, it has no fuel.

Weather remains unchanged up there, though L.A. seems calmer.

"Gusty Santa Ana winds will continue to battle with terrain driven winds. Most significant fire growth will occur to the west. Very high fuel loading, critically low fuel moistures, above average temperatures and single-digit relative humidities will continue to support fire growth on the west, east and north sides of the Thomas Incident. Firefighters will remain engaged in structure defense operations and scout for opportunities to establish direct perimeter control. Fire will continue to threaten the communities of Santa Barbara, Carpinteria, Summerland, Montecito and surrounding areas. Fire line construction to the north of these communities will continue. Improvement of the Camino Cielo for use as a control line will continue. Contingency groups will improve existing fuel breaks in Santa Barbara County, particularly in the areas of Windy Point and Foothills. Direct line construction, where possible, will continue on the northern side of the fire within the Zaca Fire burn scar. To north of the Matilija Wilderness indirect line construction will continue in preparation for future burn operations. In previously burned areas, continued mop-up operations will occur in order to expedite repopulation efforts. The area between Fillmore and Ventura along Highway 126 will remain in patrol status. Fire personnel will work to construct direct fire line with the support of aerial resources where possible on the east side of the fire. Scouting for establishment of indirect fire line will continue where needed."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Every two days, we are told that a weather change is imminent, and the Red Flag warning will expire. Every two days, we are told oops sorry it didn't happen, but maybe next time. Repeat.

Yesterday was supposed to be cooler. We dressed accordingly. Yesterday was 86 degrees. The sun felt the way Hawaii would if Hawaii had 1% humidity. It's the fucking winter solstice, for Chrissake.

I am told that it's snowing in the east.

--------------

Likely cause of the Creek Fire is power lines, though this isn't 100% yet

--------------

L.A. Nooz continues to run stories about The Homeless Problem. Seems like the only way The Homeless can get attention is to accidentally start a fire that threatens $100 million estates and Rupert Murdoch's vineyard. Today's L.A. Times story was the one about poverty in the midst of plenty. They like that one.

--------------

Ventura College has cancelled final exams. Professors will grade based on the student's work up until the time the fire closed the college. Those who were slacking and intended to ace the final... oops. Force Majeure is a bitch sometimes.

One thing I liked about film school. Our final exams typically consisted of the semester's work projected on a theater screen. As one TA said, "You guys already shot your final."

--------------

Today's Thomas Fire stats, for the 3 or 4 people who still care:

242,500 acres - 30% contained
4th largest CA wildfire in modern times
Burn area is geographically larger than New York City
972 Structures Destroyed, 258 Structures Damaged
Still 18,000 structures threatened
8144 total fire personnel
1004 fire engines, 80 dozers.
Everything else same.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was listening to the news on Sirrus Radio and the said the fire was 30% contained. Plan B is to let it burn itself out. Plan C is set a backfire to 3,000 acres to slow the fire provided the conditions are perfect. Right now, any plan is still dangerous.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Unfortunately, the offshore winds are predicted to blow, on and off, for the foreseeable future in the Thomas Fire area. The major longwave pattern reversal is still supposed to happen, the cold front is still supposed to pass through and drop temperatures, but as far as wind goes, nothing changes.

Today, it was supposed to be 70 here in L.A.. The temperature is 81 along the coast. Fortunately, the wind did die down. The Red Flag warning for L.A. County was allowed to expire this morning. It is still in effect north of here, where it is the longest Red Flag warning on record.

The Ventura/ Santa Barbara area is heavily faulted, which is why it has so much oil. Many steep ridges run NE-SW. In a Santa Ana wind or a Sundowner, the canyons between the ridges become wind tunnels.

-------------

We have a firefighter death on the Thomas Fire. He was an engineer from the San Diego branch of CAL FIRE. He leaves one child, and a wife who is pregnant with a second one.

-------------

Today's 12:30 PM stats:

252,500 acres - 35% contained
8369 total personnel
158 crews, 32 helicopters, 78 dozers

Everything else unchanged.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Unfortunately, the offshore winds are predicted to blow, on and off, for the foreseeable future in the Thomas Fire area. The major longwave pattern reversal is still supposed to happen, the cold front is still supposed to pass through and drop temperatures, but as far as wind goes, nothing changes.

Today, it was supposed to be 70 here in L.A.. The temperature is 81 along the coast. Fortunately, the wind did die down. The Red Flag warning for L.A. County was allowed to expire this morning. It is still in effect north of here, where it is the longest Red Flag warning on record.

The Ventura/ Santa Barbara area is heavily faulted, which is why it has so much oil. Many steep ridges run NE-SW. In a Santa Ana wind or a Sundowner, the canyons between the ridges become wind tunnels.

-------------

We have a firefighter death on the Thomas Fire. He was an engineer from the San Diego branch of CAL FIRE. He leaves one child, and a wife who is pregnant with a second one.

-------------

Today's 12:30 PM stats:

252,500 acres - 35% contained
8369 total personnel
158 crews, 32 helicopters, 78 dozers

Everything else unchanged.

That is sad about the firefighter.

Yeah, it snowed here in Ohio. While I hate winter I can't imagine having to be concerned about fires like you have to.

Btw, how is the fire "under control" if it is 35% contained? I heard on the so-called news that the fire was contained.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

That is sad about the firefighter.

Yeah, it snowed here in Ohio. While I hate winter I can't imagine having to be concerned about fires like you have to.

Btw, how is the fire "under control" if it is 35% contained? I heard on the so-called news that the fire was contained.

There are two fires in Southern California; the Thomas fire in the L.A. region and the Lilac fire in San Diego County. It's the Lilac fire that's 100% but don't misinterpret what the word "contained" mean the fire's over. According to Cal Fire, "A fire is contained when it is surrounded on all sides by some kind of boundary but is still burning and has the potential to jump a boundary line." Even though a fire could be 100% contained it could still be burning and has the potential to continue to spread.