RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not just Ventura. That's the Thomas Fire, and the worst one. It's burned an area larger than Manhattan, from Santa Paula to the sea, and big stretches north and south of that line.

Three in greater L.A.. Rye fire is near Magic Mountain, if you've ever been up there. Closed the Grapevine Pass. That cuts off the main road to Bakersfield.

Creek Fire is near a bunch of places you've never heard of. Find the 210 Freeway on a map. Follow it all the way from Sylmar, where it begins, to a place called Sunland-Tujunga for some reason. Many, many miles. All hopscotch fire. Whack-a-Mole. It's here. It's there. It's here again. Dizzy.

Skirball Fire is the new one. It started right by the 405 Freeway, at the top of Sepulveda Pass, early this morning. It's burning in that ultra-rich part of L.A. like where Ronnie Ray Gun used to live, taking out mansions on the usual streets where mansions get taken out every 30 years or so. They spend $100 million a pop to rebuild what are essentially private resorts, with helipads and tennis courts. They plant a lot of pretty trees and get it all nice (and fueled up) for the next fire.

L.A. is not a happy place. Schools are closed. Many businesses are closed. Big stretches of three different freeways are closed. There are places that you can't get to from here. Smoke is everywhere. Power is iffy.

It's completely global warming. The weather here went to pot the same time as when the Arctic ice melted. It didn't take a meteorology Ph.D. to understand the connection. Southern and much of Central California is over. Run like the incessant dry wind. Get out while you can. Everyone else... find other places where it doesn't snow.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

what is shocking is seeing the choppers view of the hills around the area which have NOT
A TREE ON THEM.
brush is burning. the shit that filled in After they clear cut all the trees off the face of the earth.

stay well and calm zowie. she says after not being that way at all during fires. :? :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

srsly...why is it still named, called, Los Padres National Forest....

there isnt a tree ANYWHERE. where did the "forest" go? why is it still called "forest"?

id think reality would lead to a change of names so, you know, human brains actually deal
with what they are in fact Seeing...with their eyes and brains.
that might help with the cognitive dissonance.

65,000 acres of brush burned away.
next up?...more brush grows, more desertey dry cacti type brush. worse than the scrub
brush that was there, last week.
fewer animals and no birds. aint no place for birds around there now. adios.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Los Padres NF in my time was always pretty scrubby vegetation. Maybe the tall conifers are in the higher elevations, farther from this fire. With everything else burned, now the fire has found good eatin' in the Los Padres NF. That makes it a CDF/CAL FIRE incident, and they're in the unified command.

Good: I've been doing fires since age 5 in the rich kid ghetto, where you could count on a biggie every 5 years or so, usually right before Christmas. The only differences are that I don't live there any more, so it's one less thing I have to be afraid of, and now the climate has changed dramatically and 12-month fire seasons are the new normal. Also... the Skirball Fire that's nearest us is essentially knocked down. We'll see what happens overnight. No danger from fire here, but ashes and thick smoke are never fun.

Bad: They have colors they use on the map to show where the worst fire behavior is expected. The extreme situation is colored purple. There has never, ever been purple on the entire map of the whole region. Never until tonight and tomorrow, that is. This place is gonna burn. Thank you, fossil fuel industry.

Ugly: None of the big, obnoxious ultra-rich-frack mansion Things have burned in the Skirball fire. The only places I know that are destroyed for sure are in the residual upper middle class housing that was in the area before the New Gilded Age changed things. Now, L.A. doesn't allow shake shingle roofs, because (a) They catch fire easily and you lose your house; and (b) the burning shingles get picked up in the updrafts and start spot fires downwind, then other people lose their houses. Problem: They never made people with them re-roof. It had to be done when the house sold. People who never turned their houses... well, you just joined the homeless. Not a happy thing.

Uglier: Water pressure failed in Ventura. When the power failed for 260,000 people, it killed the pumps. No backup. Hydrants went dry. Subsequently, due to backflow, the entire city was put on a boil water order. This is still in effect.

Sad: Ojai is a nice little town, and popular with artists and film makers. I thought it was too far away to have a problem. It wasn't. Crossing fingers, toes, and whatever else there's >= two of.

Sadder: Not all of the horses got out.

Presser for the Creek Fire. Gotta go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

yeh many didnt heed the evac orders and tons of horses died.
too late to get them out when the fire has arrived near you and the roads are closed. stupid fucks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

I ve driven everyone of those roads out there. Many if not most times those fires are more media hype than anything else. As they often burn in remote areas. Not this time, to close Grapevine and the 405 is major. The destruction these fires are doing will probably effect us all. As they will have to hurt the economy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... lames.html

Safe link to pictures and video

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

The 405 is now open in both directions, and I think the Grapevine might be too. This can and will change as the situation unfolds. The status of the 210 is unknown.

UCLA cancelled classes, but the campus is still open and out of danger. Mostly it's so smoky that the university is giving out masks. Power is iffy in the entire area. Up and down. Our lines come from the south, not the north where the fire is, but since they don't make people trim back their trees, any wind storm much over 40 MPH knocks it out every time.

All L.A. schools in the SF Valley and some around here are closed until Monday. All Santa Monica schools, ditto.

The city sent out a warning on its Reverse 911 that the Red Flag warning now includes a parking ban in hillside areas. They will tow. No parking on what passes for streets up there.

The streets most affected by the Skirball Fire are Moraga and something called Linda Flora or something like that. These names are Spanish for "You've gotta be a total idiot to want to live here."

The number of structures damaged is somewhere between 6 and 15. That is not a lot compared to other fires which have taken out hundreds... but the wind is coming up and there's a gas pipe burning and the fire is flaring up again. I wouldn't bet money on the 405 and Sepulveda Blvd staying open. If it manages to jump the 405, which has happened, and it's as windy as they are predicting, it'll run to the ocean and damage will be in the several billion dollar range.

Shadow Hills, which I'd never heard of, is very horsey. It's one of those towns (there's another one on PV) where it's just assumed that everyone keeps horses. Google Earth shows jumping courses, stables, and corrals all over the place. The Creek Fire has sent out tentacles, and one of them went there. Many, many horses were finally evacuated safely despite a shortage of trailers. However fire overran a ranch in a canyon, and 40 died.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:31 am 
Board Emeritus

In the San Diego area, we know what the folks in the area L.A. going through. We had massive fires in 2007 with over 2,200 structures destroyed and 10s of thousands of people evacuated. It was probably the worst week in San Diego history.

For anyone living or traveling through the L.A. area, please take care.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

The freeways are all open, but a lot of the exits aren't.

There's no smoke AT ALL coming from the Sepulveda Pass. FD won't say it's over until they have a line around the whole thing, and that will take quite a while in some of the near-vertical terrain. There is still a small chance that something could re-ignite, get carried over the 405 by the wind, and start the other side going. If that happens, you have a major disaster.

One always finds out so much about their area in these fires. Who knew that Rupert Murdoch owned an orchard right in the middle of the most expensive land in L.A.? Yup. A whole orchard. Big one. Trees and everything. You can find it on Google Earth just east of the 405 off of (I think) Linda Flora. That land, subdivided, could fetch a billion easy. This is a neighborhood where oil sheiks and international gangsters build mansions the size of hotels, with acres of tennis courts, pools, fountains, garages, and usually private helipads. Rupert Murdoch. Turns out he even lives there at times. Maybe he'll be in town when Disney buys Fox Studios and turns The Industry on its ear.

The orchard lost an outbuilding. I think Murdoch can afford to replace it.

UCLA, CSUN, and Santa Monica College all cancelled classes. Most L.A. city schools are closed, though the ones around here are not. The elementary schools aren't allowing outdoor play.

The other fires continue unabated. The real problem is the monster in Ventura County, which is chewing up acreage at a staggering rate. 95,000, at last count, and that was last night. Ojai dodged a bullet, but the entire town is evacuated and still in severe danger.

The other end of that fire burned all the way to the sea. Past Ventura, they have all these cute little beach towns with cute Spanish names. The housing prices, for beach real estate, are real bargains, since no one in their right mind would live there, between the fires and the floods. Surfers like it. They're weird anyway.

The fire has been hopscotching its way north. One home was burned in cute little La Conchita, but it was an abandoned one, after land slides took out a couple of whole streets some years back. Carpenteria is next in line. Etc.

The weather condition that caused all this may persist at least another week and a half, though this kind of thing is notoriously hard to predict.

I remember that fire in San Diego. It must have been VERY scary.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Fire in North County of San Diego near the I-15 and SR76. Two structures have been destroyed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Also a new one in Murietta, Riverside County. One home destroyed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

anyone know who the arsonist is yet?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

anyone know who the arsonist is yet?

Not necessarily an arsonist as the cause of the fires. Faulty catalytic converters can emit sparks and with the dry vegetation along the roadside it can catch fire quickly. Another possible cause is a carelessly tossed cigarette. It'll take time to determine the origin and possible causes of the fires.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:01 am 
Board Emeritus

Not just Ventura. That's the Thomas Fire, and the worst one. It's burned an area larger than Manhattan, from Santa Paula to the sea, and big stretches north and south of that line.

Three in greater L.A.. Rye fire is near Magic Mountain, if you've ever been up there. Closed the Grapevine Pass. That cuts off the main road to Bakersfield.

Creek Fire is near a bunch of places you've never heard of. Find the 210 Freeway on a map. Follow it all the way from Sylmar, where it begins, to a place called Sunland-Tujunga for some reason. Many, many miles. All hopscotch fire. Whack-a-Mole. It's here. It's there. It's here again. Dizzy.

Skirball Fire is the new one. It started right by the 405 Freeway, at the top of Sepulveda Pass, early this morning. It's burning in that ultra-rich part of L.A. like where Ronnie Ray Gun used to live, taking out mansions on the usual streets where mansions get taken out every 30 years or so. They spend $100 million a pop to rebuild what are essentially private resorts, with helipads and tennis courts. They plant a lot of pretty trees and get it all nice (and fueled up) for the next fire.

L.A. is not a happy place. Schools are closed. Many businesses are closed. Big stretches of three different freeways are closed. There are places that you can't get to from here. Smoke is everywhere. Power is iffy.

It's completely global warming. The weather here went to pot the same time as when the Arctic ice melted. It didn't take a meteorology Ph.D. to understand the connection. Southern and much of Central California is over. Run like the incessant dry wind. Get out while you can. Everyone else... find other places where it doesn't snow.

I've got cousins in Sylmar.

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've got cousins in Sylmar.

Unless they're in the hills up above, they're fine. Sylmar is a big place, and most of it is dead flat.

------

Overnight the north end of San Diego County, right below Camp Pendleton, blew up. Many structures gone, more horses dead, and generally a very scary scene. I can't get any hard information because it's out of market for L.A. Nooz, therefore it doesn't exist. Pretty much anything of substance comes from twitter, and you know what that means. Everything has to be checked out. Slow process.

They can't even cover the in-market fires. (Did you ever think ratings would determine which rapidly unfolding disaster gets covered? Oh, you did. Never mind.)

They ran out of money for continuous, largely ad-free, live coverage. Even the blowout in Ventura County is ceasing to exist except in 8-minute segments where they breathlessly spout superlatives regarding how huge it is, with little hard data. "It's big. It's a big fire. The fire is large. Gee whiz, it's such a large fire. Back after this short break, with the Middle East blowing up."

A few facts make it through the jamming, trolling, and botting. Latest idea on the fire near us is that it started too far from the freeway to be caused by someone throwing something out of a car. The area is known for homeless encampments, and they've been known to have campfires on chilly mornings. So the cause is still to be determined, but arson seems less certain.

Another problem is that when the wind gusts to 80 MPH, it can bring down power lines, which spark. If the major grid path to Ventura and Santa Barbara counties, which has three lines of huge high-voltage towers, failed BEFORE the fire started, we might have a cause. This is really, really conjecture on my part though.

Maybe the girls at St. Thomas Aquinas Academy saw something. (This has to be the first fire ever named for St. Thomas Aquinas. Who's next, St. Francis of Assisi?)

In any event, the Thomas Fire is now 135,000 acres, which is an area larger than Detroit, and expected to burn for weeks, if not months. It goes from the mountains to the sea. Hundreds of structures destroyed.

This morning there was a small fire just off PCH, near the Santa Monica incline. There's really nothing around there to burn, and they got it out before I even woke up. But they had closed the w/b 10 freeway before the tunnel, if Glen ever drove that way, and dumped all traffic into an already gridlocked part of Santa Monica. Oof.

I'd heard it before that a lot of families rely on the public schools, in other words our taxes, to feed the kids. They can't afford to feed them. (Yes, tell me again how drumpf has caused an economic boom. For whom?) But a lot of schools have been closed since Tuesday or Wednesday. So now three schools in the area have set up what are essentially 21st century soup kitchens where the kids can come and get their lunch anyway. You can't make this stuff up.

I have a headache.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Unless they're in the hills up above, they're fine. Sylmar is a big place, and most of it is dead flat.

------

Overnight the north end of San Diego County, right below Camp Pendleton, blew up. Many structures gone, more horses dead, and generally a very scary scene. I can't get any hard information because it's out of market for L.A. Nooz, therefore it doesn't exist. Pretty much anything of substance comes from twitter, and you know what that means. Everything has to be checked out. Slow process.

They can't even cover the in-market fires. (Did you ever think ratings would determine which rapidly unfolding disaster gets covered? Oh, you did. Never mind.)

Here are links to two of the four major TV channels in San Diego that have covered the fire.
KFMB
KNSD

The fire in the North County of San Diego is near the eastern end of Camp Pendleton. The Marines and Navy are contributing helicopters to help with water drops on the fires.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

I tried to stream a couple of San Diego stations, but I kept getting "This video cannot be shown at this time." Obviously some error message from whoever actually serves those, usually Akamai. Perhaps had I submitted to having my entire computer examined for anything they could sell advertisers, they would have worked. I've done that before, and usually regretted it. No thanks.

That leaves the Nooz (worthless) and twitter (OK, if suspect in some cases).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

I tried to stream a couple of San Diego stations, but I kept getting "This video cannot be shown at this time." Obviously some error message from whoever actually serves those, usually Akamai. Perhaps had I submitted to having my entire computer examined for anything they could sell advertisers, they would have worked. I've done that before, and usually regretted it. No thanks.

That leaves the Nooz (worthless) and twitter (OK, if suspect in some cases).

I tried the KFMB site clicking on the Watch News 8 Live Now and it worked okay for me. The "live" broadcast is only when the news is being broadcasted and stops when there are commercials.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

ive got a SD stream. couldnt get a LA stream this morning and ktla was just doing chat.

again many "fine thoroughbred horses" died. so these fuckers never thot to move the horses either.
i Get that SD didnt expect this but who is watching over the "fine" horses.

in CO we got ready to move livestock beginning of summer heat season. things WERE ALWAYS
Ready to move livestock. my horses had the phone number grease painted on their butts for months
each year once the fires began, in case i had to drive thru the fence and hope they found the hole and
could run away, theyd be found and have owners contact directly ON them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

I allowed the kfmb content and not the ~20 ad tracking scripts, and now at least I have a media player with a "be right back" screen. I guess the news went off at noon.

Thanks for your help.

Back to twitter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

ive got a SD stream. couldnt get a LA stream this morning and ktla was just doing chat.

again many "fine thoroughbred horses" died. so these fuckers never thot to move the horses either.

in CO we got ready to move livestock beginning of summer heat season. things WERE ALWAYS
Ready to move livestock. my horses had the phone number grease painted on their butts for months
each year once the fires began, in case i had to drive thru the fence and hope they found the hole and

Like I said somewhere else, it seems to be a shortage of trailers and drivers to move them. A lot of frantic appeals went out on twitter, but in these conditions with roads closed and everyone fleeing, that's not going to help much. Then I keep reading that the large animal facilities are full. At one point yesterday, they were sending horses way out to Lancaster.

Obviously the way we take care of horses in SoCal needs a major rethink. I wonder who's got the money.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was watching KFMB News yesterday and they came on an hour earlier because of the fire. They were on the scene at the San Luis Rey Downs training center, where the horses died, and said the problem was the fire came so quickly there wasn't enough time or horse trailers to evacuate the 500 horses. One owner said he tried to get his filly out of the pen but she wouldn't come out and she burned to death. During the day, the news showed volunteers and people with horse trailers coming to evacuate the surviving horses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

I allowed the kfmb content and not the ~20 ad tracking scripts, and now at least I have a media player with a "be right back" screen. I guess the news went off at noon.

Thanks for your help.

Back to twitter.

KFMB News usually starts at 5PM. Yesterday, because of the fire, they started at 4PM so you might be able to view the San Diego coverage starting at 4PM. During the 2007 fires in San Diego, they were on almost continuously.