RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Senator Al Franken (D-Mn) has resigned his Senate Seat today after mounting pressure for Democratic Collegue's demanded he step down because of accusations of Sexual Assault and Sexual Abuse.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/al ... mg00000009.

As Franken leaves the Senate (as well he should), lets take time to reflect on the fact that there is a known Sexual Predator in the White House and the R.N.C. has reversed itself and is now supporting a known Child Sexual Predator for the Senate from Alabama.

RePuGs should also remember that Minnesota has a Democratic Governor and will appoint a Democrat to replace Franken.

Franken's behavior towards Woman was digusting and vile.

That RePuGs accept such behavior from members of their own party is equally digusting and vile as well.

Democrats demand accountibility, RePuGs accept Child Sexual Assaut, Sexual Abuse of Women and the Sexual Harassment of Women.

Such is the difference in the major political parties.

G(reedy) O(ld) P(everts).

Lets hear for Republican Family Vaules.....whatever the hell they are.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

So ... what I would have preferred is for an Ethics Committee hearing to go forward. His accusers get to testify, he gets right of response, evidence if it exists can be presented, witnesses can be subpoena'd. Now I do understand the tricky part of some of his accusers remaining anonymous. My guess is there can be a mechanism for them to testify without cameras or printing of their identity so they maintain anonymity if they prefer.

BTW, if the Ethics committee concluded he should leave the Senate ... I would have accepted it.

I'm not sure if I agree with his decision to resign, but it's his choice, and it can be hard to remain in the Senate with colleagues who have all already told you you should resign. As a political calculation, well, yeah, we know, the Democratic governor of Minnesota appoints his replacement.

All I can say is I hope we're happy holding that sanctified moral high ground, when the Senate does nothing about seating Roy Moore (we'll see ... Mitch needs to make up his mind)(and, of course, IF he wins) ... and Trump continues to dance around Summer Zervos & 15+ other accusers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

And sonny jr has already got a head start he should worry about his own future corruption issues.

Donald Trump Jr. mocked outgoing Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) after he announced his resignation on Thursday by invoking one of the former comedian's "Saturday Night Live" most well-known characters.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ion-speech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

If I ran into that little fucking pissant on the street, I would happily deal with the assault and battery arrest. It would be worth it to buy an elephant tail on the black market and beat his ass into unconsciousness with it.

The 35 Democratic Senators who pimped themselves into good standing with their constituents without a word about Trump's accusers can bite me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Emailed to Durbin and Duckworth 5 minutes ago.

Quote:
I see that you were one of the Democrats who demanded Franken's resignation. I would like to know why I haven't heard about your demand for Donald Trump's immediate resignation over a dozen of accusations of his inappropriate behavior with women including the accusation of the rape of a 13 year old child in 1994.

The courtesy of a reply would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Emailed to Durbin and Duckworth 5 minutes ago.

Hell, I would like to hear that from Republicans including the asshats supporting Roy Moore.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:36 pm 
Policy Wonk

Yeah...

Politics is a tough profession. For all his sins, he was clearly thrown under the bus by the Dems in the Senate. As Marin County points out, Minnesota does have a Democratic governor, so he's pretty certain to be replaced by another Democratic Senator....making it easier to dispose of Sen Franken.

That said, in the replacement election next year, another Democratic successor is no sure thing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah...

Politics is a tough profession. For all his sins, he was clearly thrown under the bus by the Dems in the Senate. As Marin County points out, Minnesota does have a Democratic governor, so he's pretty certain to be replaced by another Democratic Senator....making it easier to dispose of Sen Franken.

That said, in the replacement election next year, another Democratic successor is no sure thing.

And what will piss off the Republicans even more is the fact that Amy Klobuchar is the Senior Senator from Minnoseta and is also Democrat. She will have a lot input as to who will replace Franken. Not only a Progressive Democrat....but possibly a Woman as well.....

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:01 pm 
Policy Wonk

And what will piss off the Republicans even more is the fact that Amy Klobuchar is the Senior Senator from Minnoseta and is also Democrat. She will have a lot input as to who will replace Franken. Not only a Progressive Democrat....but possibly a Woman as well.....
Flaws aside (and I'm not saying they should be) Franken was a particularly effective Senator. Its unlikely his replacement will be as effective....but who knows. Still, I think this was driven by Democrats wanting to make a point more than anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

It was Democratic moral high grounding all the way. I hope doesn't come back to bite them. The worst case scenario here is that Roger Stone and his dirty trick squad starts to pay fakers to drag down one Democrat after another. That could prove disastrous.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:08 pm 
Policy Wonk

Flaws aside (and I'm not saying they should be) Franken was a particularly effective Senator. Its unlikely his replacement will be as effective....but who knows. Still, I think this was driven by Democrats wanting to make a point more than anything else.

And will probably work about as well as Livingston did for the republicans.

Damn. This one hurts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Odds on choice to replace Franken is Minnesota Lieutenant Governor Tina Smith.

http://www.startribune.com/gov-mark-day ... 462412193/.

As said earlier, the person chosen by Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton would more than likely be a Woman.

Governor Mark Dayton (Democrat) will more than likely chose Minnesota Tina Smith (Democrat) to replace Al Franken who rsigned the Senate today under accusation of Sexual Misconduct.

Now that Democrats have set the example for standing up to Sexual Misconduct in the Work Place, I fully expect them to do absoultely nothing a known Serial Womanizer, a known Sexual Predator, a Man who boasts about sexually assaulting and bragging about it, a Man perved out on a 10-Year Old, a Man that raped a 13-Year Old girl.....I fully and completely expect the Republicans to do jack fucking shit about him.

The new Republican Response to Aborhant Sexual Behavior is so the fuck what.....unless it's a Democrat then we act as shocked and dismayed as we would if one of your own got caught....oops delete the last part of that.

Last edited by marindem on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:52 pm 
Policy Wonk

yep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

It was Democratic moral high grounding all the way. I hope doesn't come back to bite them. The worst case scenario here is that Roger Stone and his dirty trick squad starts to pay fakers to drag down one Democrat after another. That could prove disastrous.

That's another problem the GOP using sexual harassment & other issues as blackmail everyone must notice & be aware of this good job Z.

Last edited by ap215 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

In Minnesota, the governor appoints the replacement Senator to fill the remainder of the term. Since Franklin was reelected in 2014, the next election for this Senate seat is in 2020 during a Presidential election cycle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 pm 
Policy Wonk

I am sorry to hear this news, after how hard he fought to win his seat in the Senate.

I personally don't know anything about the particulars, only he was a good and refreshing voice on the hill.

If he is leaving, it is my guess, it is in good conscience, which is way better than dragging people through courts.

We will just have to wait to see what is next, but hope the best for everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW - I don't think this is irrelevant, but it wasn't reported on, either.

Leeann Tweeden and Donald Trump Jr. are close friends.

https://upload.democraticunderground.com/10029943676

Have been Tweeting personally to each other since 2011.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

my only problem, issue, i guess is this: i sorta wish franken has forced the issue.
ill retire when groper is held accountable. ill retire when moore is not elected for stalking
and groping young girls at Malls he is not allowed in any longer.
ill retire when the prezpussiegrabber apologizes to all the women who stepped forward.

id feel much better after that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:49 am 
Policy Wonk

my only problem, issue, i guess is this: i sorta wish franken has forced the issue.
ill retire when groper is held accountable. ill retire when moore is not elected for stalking
and groping young girls at Malls he is not allowed in any longer.
ill retire when the prezpussiegrabber apologizes to all the women who stepped forward.

id feel much better after that.

Well, look.

House Votes Not to Impeach President Trump

The Democratic leadership also came out against the impeachment vote.

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/12/7/ ... dent_trump

Quote:
The House voted not to impeach President Trump on Wednesday. The vote failed 364 to 58, with all Republicans voting against the measure. The Democratic leadership also came out against the impeachment vote. The measure was introduced by Democratic Congressmember Al Green of Texas, who said on the House Floor, “Donald John Trump, by causing such harm to the society of the United States, is unfit to be president and warrants impeachment, trial and removal from office.”

Where is the sense in this? I would feel better, myself, if at least the Democrats were more equitable.

It must have been something more terrible that Franken did than Trump, which I have a hard time believing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:16 am 
Board Emeritus

Did he do something more serious than Franken? Well ... 19 women say so. BTW, several of these women say he did something that he exactly described in the Access Hollywood tape ... shoved his hand up their ... well, you know. (Nobody has said that about Franken.) Now, these accounts vary in severity. Some appear to just be voyeurism. There are several that dovetail with another thing that he told Stern - that he would bust in on women changing during his beauty pageants so he could see them naked. Some of those were teen beauty pageants. (Means they were probably 16 or 17.)

The only one here who accused him formally of rape was Ivana, who was married to him at the time. She alleged this happened in 1989. (Marital rape is now a thing in almost all 50 states, I believe.) FWIW, as of 2015, she has recanted. People can be the judge of why.

The 19 Women Who Accused President Trump of Sexual Misconduct
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... mp/547724/

Summer Zervos is suing him currently for defamation. She may not win, but it may be over issues of legal technicality. But thanks to Paula Jones, her lawsuit can at least go forward.

BTW, not one of the 19 women accusing Trump is anonymous. They have all given their names. You may remember he threatened to sue them all after he became president, during the campaign. That has, of course, never happened.

Incidentally, I do have to add while there is a story of Donald raping a teenage girl which Ike has mentioned, the Atlantic, TIME, and most journalistic outlets are not including it.

Snopes notes Katie Johnson's lawsuit against Trump was dismissed in May of 2016 and then again in December of 2016, in a different venue.
https://www.snopes.com/2016/06/23/donal ... e-lawsuit/

Johnson claims Trump raped her at Jeffrey Epstein's house.

All I can say is, there are a lot of rumors swirling around Epstein. He appears to be enough of a scumbag for some to be true. But they have been difficult to corroborate. I should also add there are stories about a bunch of other big name celebrities and politicians attending Epstein "parties" where underage sex occurred.

You may remember during the Boy Scout jamboree Trump attended, for some bizarre reason he decided to talk about a friend of his who had sex parties on his yacht. Totally appropriate for the Scouts. He did not discuss his participation.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... couts.html

In comparative perspective, I believe there may be up to 8 Franken accusers. However, several are anonymous. (That does not mean they are not real or telling the truth - I can understand reasons why they would want to remain that way.) Far as I know, most say, at worst, Franken touched them briefly and inappropriately while taking photos. Two allegations of forced kissing. The first was Leeann Tweeden. The other made her allegation just a few days ago, I believe. Key difference: I don't know of Franken ever, even privately to some buddy, bragging about doing stuff like this. And #7 says Franken touched her on her waist while taking a photo. Look, maybe you shouldn't touch women you don't know while taking photos, but some of these definitely don't sound like sexual groping.

Unlike Conyers, Franken's female staff say he always treated them appropriately and with the utmost respect. Likewise, his female staff from Air America. There are no accounts of anything Franken did while in Congress.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut

:arrow: What moral high ground?! Democrats are just trying to make up for their actions supporting Bill Clinton in the late 90s and their treatment of Anita Hill during the Clarence Thomas hearing. Do Democrats really think they are going to shame Republicans who are already so far beneath them it's amazing they can still breathe.

Did Democrats Just Fall Into Roger Stone’s Trap?

There are a lot of unanswered questions, from what’s true and what isn’t to how Stone knew beforehand what was coming, that the ethics committee could have answered.

With the resignation of Sen. Al Franken, I asked women on Capitol Hill if he should pay a lesser price than the one that Harvey Weinstein, Charlie Rose, Mark Halperin, and Matt Lauer paid. Or does Franken, for all his boorish behavior, fall closer to George H.W. Bush, aka David “Cop-a-Feel,” than to those who summoned underlings to their lair under the guise of meeting about work but actually to expose and, in some cases, force themselves upon them? Would it be fairer to let this play out before the ethics committee, now on notice that their job isn’t to let folks off the hook? Should the voters of Minnesota decide?

The answer was no to all. In light of the horror show that’s been going on for years, women were willing to banish Franken first and ask questions later. New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand spoke first: “When you have to start having to talk about the differences between sexual assault and sexual harassment and unwanted groping, you are having the wrong conversation. We need to draw a line in the sand and say none of this is OK, none of this is acceptable.”

Gillibrand is right that none of it is OK but she is not right when she says we are having the wrong conversation if we attempt to make distinctions among bad actors. For now, Democrats think zero tolerance and swift punishment gives them the high ground. But they already have that. They should know by now there is no shaming Republicans who are so far below sea level it’s a miracle they can be heard from down there......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

It won't shame Republican voters, or at least not enough of them. They have no shame. The majority in AL are fine with their candidate molesting little girls.

I'm not excusing the behavior. Neither am I excusing Leeann Tweeden, a right wing buddy of Murdoch, Ailes, and Stone. It seems obvious to anyone who understands the entertainment biz that she was offered an instant career a la Monica Lewinsky, and by the same people. Her story seems to change weekly. Franken stepped a bit over the line, but the Stone-caused hoopla made him into a rapist.

They tried to do something similar to Sam Seder, but it was so transparent that it fell apart. He's back on MSNBC.

Expect a LOT more of this, until no one knows who to believe, and the best social movement in a very long time is badly damaged.

Last edited by ZoWie on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

If there's an impeachment, it would be better if it were led by congressional Republicans. Fat chance of that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

It won't shame Republican voters, or at least not enough of them. They have no shame. The majority in AL are fine with their candidate molesting little girls.

I'm not excusing the behavior. Neither am I excusing Leeann Tweeden, a right wing buddy of Murdoch, Ailes, and Stone. It seems obvious to anyone who understands the entertainment biz that she was offered an instant career a la Monica Lewinsky, and by the same people. Her story seems to change weekly. Franken stepped a bit over the line, but the Stone-caused hoopla made him into a rapist.

They tried to do something similar to Sam Seder, but it was so transparent that it fell apart. He's back on MSNBC.

Expect a LOT more of this, until no one knows who to believe, and the best social movement in a very long time is badly damaged.

Spot on as usual, Z.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

If there's an impeachment, it would be better if it were led by congressional Republicans. Fat chance of that.

Republicans led on the last impeachment and had their hats handed to them. Maybe this time the Dems should step up and lead on this. If impeachment is to happen it will take both parties. The Dems seem to be the ones pushing the hardest for impeachment so why shouldn't they take the lead? I would note that articles of impeachment were offered this week on the House floor and only garnered 58 votes. So it doesn't appear that even a majority of Democrats agree that a sufficient case exists for impeachment at this time.