RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:57 pm 
Policy Wonk

Washington Post Columnist E.J.Dionne Op-Ed on the Alabama Election.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... e120afca26.

Warning.....Warning.....Warning.

There are facts in the colum that will no doubt be ignored by glen, who is one of most fact challenged members of this forum.

Some of the more interesting facts are:

1. Doug Jones received 60% of under 45 Years of Age Vote.

2. Moore received about 3/5 of the 65 and Older Vote.

3. Turn Out in heavily African American Voter Districts was more than 70% while turn out White Districts was in the 50%+ range.

4. Doug Jones received 66% of the Vote from Mothers with Children Age of 18.

5. Doug Jones received 26% of the Vote from White Men, but picked up 34% of White Women.

6. 23,000 Voters joined Senator Richard Shelby (R-AL) and chose to Write In another candidate...taking votes away from Moore.

Here is another take away.

Republicans LOST the Governorships in Virginia and New Jersey. A record number of Women (Democrats) were elected to the Viriginia House Delegates, including the Hispanic Delegate and the Transgender Women who defeated the Republican who wrote "The Bathroom Bill" that would have codified Gender Based Discrimination in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton (Democrat) has appointed Lieutenant Governor Tina Smith (Democrat) to replace former Senator Al Franken in the U.S. Senate.

A record number Women, nationwide are now indicating they will Drop Paper (File for Office) in the upcoming 2018 and 2020 Elections.

45 actually endorsed a suspected Pedophile (Roy Moore), who according the Orange Fascist Draft Dodger was never going to win and then Sexually Harassed Senator Kristin Gillibrand (D-NY) after Ms. Gillibrand joined 5-other Senators in calling for 45 to resign.

The victory of Doug Jones now leaves Senate Republicans with a razor thin 2-Vote Majority, which is why McChinless is pushing to have tax cuts for the rich passed as soon as possible.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

And it all adds up to this watch your back GOP.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:22 am 
Board Emeritus

Marindem, Glen might read that Op-Ed column since you said he's "one of most fact challenged members of this forum." What I mean that is your unkindness toward him might goad him into reading it. It would have that effect on me.

I read Dionne's column yesterday before you posted a link to it, and you listed your numbered "facts" from it. Number 3 clearly contradicts what I said and linked from two sources for in another thread. :|

After I saw that, I read Dionne's Op-Ed column again. When Glen reads it he will probably see what I saw right away.

You said the column said "Turn Out in heavily African American Voter Districts was more than 70% while turn out White Districts was in the 50%+ range."

I'll quote the column, It actually says, "As MSNBC’s Steve Kornacki noted, turnout in heavily African American counties was more than 70 percent of what it had been in the presidential election of 2016."

That's not a 70% turnout aggregate sum. It's 70% of what the turnout was in 2016 without there being any indication given for how large that 2016 turnout was. It's a relative. You stated that relative as if it were an aggregate sum.

I think Glen will more than likely notice that error.

That relative 70% statistic means they didn't turn out in as large a number as they did on the day Trump won in 2016.

I think African American voters turned out 30% of their overall eligible potential voters which is more than they did on the day Obama won. Which is a hell of good turnout overall.

I think MSNBC’s Steve Kornacki's number Dionne quoted is wrong in the impression it leaves. He was sloppy and didn't actually find out how many African American voters turned out, instead he looked at how many voters in heavily African American counties turned out, Whites and African American voters combined. The county might be heavily African American and still have a significant White population and that White population's turnout is included in that 70% of the 2016 counties overall turnout.

Basically Steve Kornacki's and Dionne's statements were word salads, not usable statistical facts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:00 am 
Board Emeritus

I disagree completely, Sam. I watched the returns on Tuesday on MSNBC, and they were pointing out about the turnout. Special elections always have a low turnout, and Presidential elections always have the highest turnout. So, using the most recent election as a benchmark is reasonable, and more important, illustrative of how engaged segments of the population are. Showing that African-American areas were turning out at between 70 and 80 percent of Presidential election levels is an important stat, when compared to heavily evangelical areas were turning out at a 50 to 60 percent range compared to the election.

We also have to keep in mind that Alabama has invested heavily in voter suppression of the African-American voters. Obviously this election will cause them to redouble their efforts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:36 am 
Board Emeritus

What I mean that is your unkindness toward him might goad him into reading it.

Neither being a member of this forum nor a citizen of this country is a popularity contest, Sam.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:54 am 
Policy Wonk

Marindem, Glen might read that Op-Ed column since you said he's "one of most fact challenged members of this forum." What I mean that is your unkindness toward him might goad him into reading it. It would have that effect on me.

I read Dionne's column yesterday before you posted a link to it, and you listed your numbered "facts" from it. Number 3 clearly contradicts what I said and linked from two sources for in another thread. :|

After I saw that, I read Dionne's Op-Ed column again. When Glen reads it he will probably see what I saw right away.

You said the column said "Turn Out in heavily African American Voter Districts was more than 70% while turn out White Districts was in the 50%+ range."

I'll quote the column, It actually says, "As MSNBC’s Steve Kornacki noted, turnout in heavily African American counties was more than 70 percent of what it had been in the presidential election of 2016."

That's not a 70% turnout aggregate sum. It's 70% of what the turnout was in 2016 without there being any indication given for how large that 2016 turnout was. It's a relative. You stated that relative as if it were an aggregate sum.

I think Glen will more than likely notice that error.

That relative 70% statistic means they didn't turn out in as large a number as they did on the day Trump won in 2016.

I think African American voters turned out 30% of their overall eligible potential voters which is more than they did on the day Obama won. Which is a hell of good turnout overall.

I think MSNBC’s Steve Kornacki's number Dionne quoted is wrong in the impression it leaves. He was sloppy and didn't actually find out how many African American voters turned out, instead he looked at how many voters in heavily African American counties turned out, Whites and African American voters combined. The county might be heavily African American and still have a significant White population and that White population's turnout is included in that 70% of the 2016 counties overall turnout.

Basically Steve Kornacki's and Dionne's statements were word salads, not usable statistical facts.

glen predicted a "Double Digit" Victory for Jones and that did not happen. glen is White Southern Male and as a fellow White Southern Male I knew just as well as glen that in a Deeply Red State known for Suppression of the African-Vote in an Off Year Election chances of a "Double Digit" Victory were slim, nil and none.

glen predicted that Franken would not resign and that did not happen either.

I am dinging glen for his outrageous claims. Yes Jones won, but no where near double digits and there was no way that Franken would renege on leaving the Senate.

What glen did was to make outrageous claims he knew he could never back up, in other words a typical glen post.

glen should own up to his gross over estimate of events and will never do so.

glen knew going in that whatever he wrote would not happen, glen was lying and he knew it. I will not recind what I wrote and I stand by what I wrote.

As regards your claims about the African-American Vote, you wanted to dimish it for whatever reasons you had. Such claims are not new and are used time and again by Cons to prove that Blacks do not vote.

You jumped on the Black Vote and you were wrong.

But unlike glen, you do admit when your wrong.

Thank You.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

Last edited by marindem on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

I disagree completely, Sam. I watched the returns on Tuesday on MSNBC, and they were pointing out about the turnout. Special elections always have a low turnout, and Presidential elections always have the highest turnout. So, using the most recent election as a benchmark is reasonable, and more important, illustrative of how engaged segments of the population are. Showing that African-American areas were turning out at between 70 and 80 percent of Presidential election levels is an important stat, when compared to heavily evangelical areas were turning out at a 50 to 60 percent range compared to the election.

We also have to keep in mind that Alabama has invested heavily in voter suppression of the African-American voters. Obviously this election will cause them to redouble their efforts.

White republicans in Alabama are saying to one another "I didn't know there were that many Blacks still eligible to vote in Alabama what with all the voter suppression we worked so hard for."