RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: The Impeachment Thread.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

The theme is this time it's different. Since I said it before they said it at Lawfare I don't have to provide quotes:

Self-Impeaching: On the Trump-Zelensky Conversation
By Scott R. Anderson, Mikhaila Fogel, Susan Hennessey, Quinta Jurecic, Jacob Schulz, Margaret Taylor, Benjamin Wittes

Quote:
This time it’s different.

The misconduct cannot be dismissed as unproven; it screams off the plain text of the White House’s own memorandum detailing the president’s phone conversation with his Ukrainian counterpart. It cannot be disparaged as the result of a “Witch Hunt” or blamed on angry Democrats working for a special counsel or attempting a coup from the depths of the “Deep State.” The revelation did not flow from any investigation at all but, instead, from the complaints of shocked subordinates, complaints that generated pressure that ultimately caused the president himself to fess up and release the document. It cannot be blamed on “The Squad” or on Nancy Pelosi or on Adam Schiff. None of these people made the president say the words that appear in that document. None of them made him take the actions into which the memo offers dramatic visibility. Nor does the president deny that he said those words. He just thinks it’s fine for a president to do so.

And that, really, is the crux of the problem and the crux of the decision before Congress. To do nothing is to agree that this conduct is acceptable.

Read the whole article here:>>> https://www.lawfareblog.com/self-impeac ... nversation

I'm going to play a live version of the same song I played this morning to create a mood and provide a musical background while folks read the whole article.

:)

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's long article, here's another song:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:28 pm 
Policy Wonk

I keep thinking Joe Biden on September 27, 2019 has a tremendous chance at
winning the 2020 election, especially if the impeachment process overshadows
the 2020 campaign. We all know the GOP senators will fall on their swords to
protect their President unless something else comes out so all Biden has to do
now is present himself as the candidate that Donald Trump fears so much that
he had to collude with a foreign government to win in 2020.

If he's the candidate, he will need to name a VP running mate that will be the
candidate in 2024.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:27 am 
Board Emeritus

I keep thinking Joe Biden on September 27, 2019 has a tremendous chance at
winning the 2020 election, especially if the impeachment process overshadows
the 2020 campaign. We all know the GOP senators will fall on their swords to
protect their President unless something else comes out so all Biden has to do
now is present himself as the candidate that Donald Trump fears so much that
he had to collude with a foreign government to win in 2020.

If he's the candidate, he will need to name a VP running mate that will be the
candidate in 2024.

That's an interesting idea and it might be one of possibilities. I do think this might help a more centrist candidate, like Biden or Harris. Harris is about fairness in law and order, all of a sudden that has become so interesting. And a centrist will seem safe, impeachment will seem disconcerting even for those who support it.

But your Biden idea does seem plausible and it does fit with the general theme i see. I just happen to like Harris.

Did you notice today that every time, (except at Fox and such), that Biden's name was mentioned they added a note to say that there is no evidence that either Biden had committed a misdeed?

Somewhere today in someones news it was said this Biden accusation is straight out of those Q conspiracy theories. They're a whole web of theories not just one. I can believe that it does come from there but I don't want delve that far into such a cesspit to confirm it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:20 am 
Policy Wonk

I'd like to see Kamala Harris as the running mate for she's the right age (54), well versed
from legal POV who can talk about the need for even the President to be not above the
law. Come 2024, Joe Biden can step aside and we can vote for the first female President.

This is going to be a strange Presidential election cycle. Impeachment is going to overshadow
the Presidential candidates for perhaps the rest of the year and if there are any other details
yet to emerge, could impact the news well into 2020.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:18 am 
Board Emeritus

I know there's a certain "impeach Pence" chorus out there, but he's not Spiro Agnew, and it's not clear how deep he is in anything other than being a sycophant for Trump, which is not a crime, just a moral failing :D . Trump may even be trying to throw him under the bus. "He called Ukraine too!" As with so many things, he simultaneously confirms and denies trying to dump Pence for ... Nikki Haley? Still, don't think he will.

So ... if we get impeachment by ... well, I'll just say December :D , lots of holidays :mrgreen: , could be a whole new calculus. I'm not sure if the three amigos will stay in the R primary race if Pence is the Republican nominee, my guess is they will drop out.

I guess my point is, we better be focusing, IF impeachment goes forward and Trump again makes history by being the first one the Senate actually convicts - yeah, I know, that 2nd one is the huge IF which everyone has every reason to doubt, I think Lindsay Graham will only vote for it when they find the bloody severed head of Tiffany Trump in the Oval Office ... anyway, if it happens ... and Pence is not impeached (which I honestly just don't see happening at this point) ... or dumped (likewise) ...

Everybody now has to plan around our nominee beating Mike Pence in Nov. of 2020. Now, I don't think he's a very formidable candidate, honestly, but running against him will not be as easy a case to make as beating Trump. It will take different strategies. Obviously, we need to run against his Gilead-like theocratic instincts. Also, a campaign ad explaining why letting Evil Race Bannon run the country will not be a Jonny Quest. :D

It will be interesting to see who a Pres. Pence picks for his VP on the ticket in Nov. of 2020. Prediction: not Nikki Haley.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:14 am 
Board Emeritus

Jeff Flake: 'At least 35' GOP senators would vote to remove Trump if vote was private
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 792866002/

Sooooo .... even if Flake is actually right and not just pulling that number from nether regions, ... grand, we all know the vote is not going to be private and in secret. :mrgreen:

Looks like we've got a spinelessness problem to deal with in the Senate.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:16 am 
Board Emeritus

Pence wasn't even that popular in Indiana when he was governor and picked by Trump as his running mate...right at 40% approval. Pence's predecessor, Mitch "The Knife" Daniels regularly topped 65% all through his tenure. Pence's approval rating as VP in Indiana is actually higher 50% than his ratings ever were as governor. But he's particularly reviled in the three northern counties that hug Lake Michigan, Lake, Porter, and LaPorte. Even before he was picked by Trump there were "Pence Must Go" lawn signs all over the place around north Porter County...and we got our wish.

I don't know what any of this means and I don't expect to see this Senate actually convict Trump. I'm not sure I even see a McConnell led Senate even agreeing to hold a trial. And I'm not sure what could be done to force it. There was apparently no way to force a Garland confirmation process.

But as always, it's a fun filled discussion full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:32 am 
Board Emeritus

I believe if the House impeaches, the Senate must hold a trial. It's not up to Mitch. That's the Constitution.

But you are right, of course, no one can force 2/3 of the Senate to convict ... and so it cannot happen without some Republican votes. In the open.

I guess the next navel gazing question, ... if he's impeached but the Senate does not convict, will this help or hurt Trump in the 2020 election?

I know he will be running on that he "has now totally been cleared of all witch hunts and everything" ... I will also know that's not true in any real sense ... I will also know for a large slice of the electorate it won't matter.

Nancy's hesitance I think has always been based on her realizing that a failure to convict him in the Senate shouldn't hurt our chances in 2020 in an ideal world ... but that is not the one we're living in, and he'll be crowing about "vindication" till the cows come home.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

Nothing short of Trump being a member of the KGB is going to lead to a conviction of Trump in the Senate.

Assuming the House investigates and passes on Impeachment proceedings onto the Senate for trial, it will
be fascinating to see how Senate Republicans act for as we all know, Republicans in 2019 will feel an
obligation to fall in line behind their candidate no matter what emerges from the proceedings in the House.
The Jeff Flakes of the world are notorious in claiming 35 GOP senators would vote to convict when even he
in the end for voted for Bret Kavanaugh as did Susan Collins. There are no Lowell Weickers in the Senate
for unlike Democrats, there is very little ounces of integrity in that party. Republicans understand their
candidate's agenda is more important than their candidate for they would vote for Bin Laden for President

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

35 gop senators admit they would impeach if vote secret

translation, their power is far more important to them than the literal survival of our country

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:41 am 
Board Emeritus

He can do what Nixon did and save himself the trouble of impeachment by resigning.

BTW, more and more newspapers are calling on him to do just that.

LARGEST CONNECTICUT NEWSPAPER GROUP DEMANDS DONALD TRUMP STEP DOWN AS PRESIDENT
https://www.newsweek.com/connecticut-ed ... ce-1461946

Boston Globe runs op-ed saying he should resign.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2019/ ... story.html

Orlando Weekly has also done so, but it's an "Indy".

Beto O'Rourke is now saying on the campaign trail Trump should resign.

I predict this chorus will grow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:17 am 
Board Emeritus

Jeff Flake: 'At least 35' GOP senators would vote to remove Trump if vote was private
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 792866002/

Sooooo .... even if Flake is actually right and not just pulling that number from nether regions, ... grand, we all know the vote is not going to be private and in secret. :mrgreen:

Looks like we've got a spinelessness problem to deal with in the Senate.

Spineless to the degree that all that matters to them is not losing their jobs. And we have a long, long history in this country of nothing, not justice, not the environment, not racism and bigotry, not health care, not our democratized gun carnage...not anything is as important as jobs. It's as American as apple pie and madras shorts.

So why sould anybody be be surprised that it's no different for those in elected office?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:56 am 
Board Emeritus

So .... things have shifted. But maybe not as much as Nancy might like.

CBS News poll: Majority of Americans and Democrats approve of Trump impeachment inquiry
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-impe ... s-approve/

55% of Americans support an impeachment inquiry into Trump ... i.e. what it happening now. (Shocker: 77% of Republicans disapprove.)

Now, a majority supports the inquiry ... that doesn't mean a majority supports impeachment.

Elsewhere, in the poll, only 42% say he should be impeached over Ukraine ... but there's a 22% group who say "it's too soon to say". (I take that as "not a no".)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:28 am 
Policy Wonk

Wonderful......Just fucking wonderful....

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rashida- ... 9647a9d411
Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) was both applauded and chided earlier this year for using explicit language to lambaste President Donald Trump. Now, in the wake of the formal impeachment inquiry into the president, the freshman Democratic congresswoman is leaning into her infamous declaration.

Referring to Trump, Tlaib had told supporters in January that “we’re gonna impeach the motherfucker.” On Thursday, she unveiled a range of merchandise inspired by those words.

“Impeach the MF,” reads a new line of T-shirts being sold by Tlaib’s reelection campaign.

In other news.....

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump ... 2019-09-26
Trump re-election campaign rakes in $13 million two days following Pelosi impeachment announcement
Published: Sept 28, 2019 3:32 p.m. ET

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:37 am 
Board Emeritus

So .... things have shifted. But maybe not as much as Nancy might like.

CBS News poll: Majority of Americans and Democrats approve of Trump impeachment inquiry
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-impe ... s-approve/

55% of Americans support an impeachment inquiry into Trump ... i.e. what it happening now. (Shocker: 77% of Republicans disapprove.)

Now, a majority supports the inquiry ... that doesn't mean a majority supports impeachment.

Elsewhere, in the poll, only 42% say he should be impeached over Ukraine ... but there's a 22% group who say "it's too soon to say". (I take that as "not a no".)

The poll report that I saw this morning on Meet The Press that indicated 42% pro impeachment was in answer to the question of whether there is already enough evidence to warrant removal from office in a Senate trial.

I believe the number who approve of proceeding with the impeachment process was listed at 55%.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:45 am 
Board Emeritus

]Trump re-election campaign rakes in $13 million two days following Pelosi impeachment announcement

As for the Tlaib T-shirts ... not exactly the way I would market our case, personally, but she had a catchphrase ... branding, I guess; but then Rashida and I might disagree on other stuff too. Interesting how she and a bunch of other people got labelled "savages" by Trump the other day - though.

Oh yeah ... there's no doubt about it, people are seeing opportunity (i.e. fundraising) in chaos. One also happens to be Florida's guv.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is fundraising to 'protect' Trump from impeachment
https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/arc ... mpeachment

Now ... of course, as a state governor, Ron plays as much of a role in the impeachment process as I am currently playing in Mars colonization (i.e. none). Of course, it's an opportunity to raise money from the gullible, so of course. He's gonna do it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

If anyone wonders why I always say time for talk over, STATE DEPT investigating HIllary again.

TIME FOR TALK IS OVER, these are TRAITORS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Adam Schiff is the epitome of bi partisan, patriot, honest, etc.

He went to Will's funeral, by the way.

BTW

Impeachment may be dependent on getting the AUDIO of the calls, we know they are hiding them now, they will NOT turn them over, that is for sure, and maybe they will destroy them.

The wblower is saying what he was told, so who told him that has to testify, they have to not be shot by putin and rump or poisoned, first of all, then we need the audio itself, right? Otherwise the 50% of idiots out there wont believe it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

You have to love it, the reporter said

"Giuliani is DECIDING whether or not to cooperate with Congress and respond to a subpoena

:rw) :rw) :rw)

Can you FUCKING FATHOM what the right and media would do if ANY democrat EVER said this EVER

SINCE WHEN do you get to DECIDE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

"Giuliani is DECIDING whether or not to cooperate with Congress and respond to a subpoena

Can you FUCKING FATHOM what the right and media would do if ANY democrat EVER said this EVER

The law is broken when it is broken, talking about non cooperating with the application of law before the fact is not breaking the law in this case.

You're responding exactly the way Giuliani want's you to respond. He's a manipulative shock jock. You'll help smother him if you ignore him.

You do wish to smother him don't you???

I do. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Withdrawn

Last edited by Ike Bana on Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

And the usual suspects hereabouts are up my ass for being hostile? BWAAAHAHAHAH!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Interesting how she and a bunch of other people got labelled "savages" by Trump the other day - though.

These conservative whites think of every nonwhite person as savage, even as their history is the most vicious in this whole hemisphere.

Lol the entire administration is unraveling but yes let's handwring about Rashida Tlaib's t-shirts. :problem:

Lol these are the same people who are quick to lecture everyone else about our priorities. :problem:

Anyway, this the tweet for this Bossip story was pretty hilarious.

Bossip
@Bossip
CNN Grossly Gentrifies Impeachment Leaders With Egregiously Entitled Pumpkin Spice Sippers Instead Of 'The Squad' & Auntie Maxine Waters https://wp.me/p2nLn-7wyl

:lol:

CNN Gets Gutted For Whitewashing Impeachment Leaders, Completely Ignoring ‘The Squad’ & Maxine Waters

Al Green, too.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

And the usual suspects hereabouts are up my ass for being hostile?

It bothers you that Libby is "hostile" towards this administration and the Republican Party? So what if he is?

Stop calling the cops on us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next