Post subject: The Queen's speech
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:54 am 
Policy Wonk

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

And we have Donny........yay.

Post subject: Re: The Queen's speech
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Usually The Queen's Speech is part of the process of electing a new parliament. It formalizes the dissolution of the government that has already been agreed to. That's how big a deal it is that she made one for something else.

Oh, and of course their PM got the virus early on.

Blood sweat toil and tears. Many people are saying that the main difference between this and WWII is that in the war we had a president that didn't just make the problems worse. Good one-liner for the Democratic Party going forward.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

At least the Britons have a ceremonial monarch/head of state who knows how to address and reassure her nation. Donny, take notes. Notice there was not much "I" and "me" (or even the royal "We") in that sentence. I'm sure the Sex Pistols might doubt how much she cares about her nation, but she at least sounds like she does.

We, alas, are stuck with Mad Emperor Donnie, who has no clothes, and has an awfully knobby scepter, according to Good Wench Stormy Daniels.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, it's like you can watch drumpf's brain deteriorate. Ship + ice field - rudder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

It's something that has been rattling around my empty head for the last week or so and then the Queens speech popped up. Honesty, sincerity, comradery, compassion, gratitude for those on the front lines. i want that.....my fellow Americans.....A malice toward none, nothing to fear, i have a dream kind of speech. Leadership that lifts the spirit and brings us together.

Instead we are at the mercy of a troll who believes his twitter account insults equates to a fireside chat. War president my ass. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:28 pm 

I watched her speech last night and I thought she set the right tone; reassuring and confident but recognizing the sacrifice and hard work ahead; thankful and appreciative to those on the front lines and those maintaining social isolation; a living reminder of the resilience of the UK in times of challenge; no placing of blame on others, but rather expressing her conviction that working together we will overcome this.

I know as Americans she's not "our" Queen. But she still is recognized as "the" Queen. I think the world appreciates her words. That day the prime minister is in the hospital on oxygen with Covid-19, but the 93 year old Queen addresses the nations and sets us right.