RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

I just ordered a copy of the audiobook, via Audible,com.

After the cease and desist letter, the publisher moved up the date to tomorrow!

Anyone else going to buy it? Making it a best seller might just put Trump into the rubber room!

Admittedly, I did not come up with the phrase, but I'm nearly positive that I got it from one of my white nationalist buddies. It just fits so well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:29 pm 
Policy Wonk

I wonder what part of Freedom of the Press and Freedom of Speech 45 and his lawyers don't get.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Are you going to buy a copy?

Admittedly, I did not come up with the phrase, but I'm nearly positive that I got it from one of my white nationalist buddies. It just fits so well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am. But it's almost 40 bucks hard cover on Amazon.ca, which is too pricey. I'm going to wait till they list soft back. I don't do kindle and e books.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

No, the author is a coyote.

But that doesn't change the fact that Trump knows how to sell books.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Bannon's U-turning today.

He said today he was still behind Trump & his agenda and thought Trump was a great man.

He has not come forward and said anything attributed to him in the book is incorrect. There were rumors he was going to, but backed off when Trump said he had lost his mind.

BTW, the main thing I think keeping him from recanting what's in the book is Wolff probably has him on tape.

Coyotes like to have insurance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:18 pm 
Policy Wonk

No, the author is a coyote.

But that doesn't change the fact that Trump knows how to sell books.

Coyote? He smuggles illegal immigrants? He sleeps with people so ugly that he has to gnaw off his own arm in the morning? He belongs to an organization that fights for the rights of sex workers? He drinks cosmos and hits on naive, young women? He's a canine related to dogs and wolves?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:21 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'm placing a hold through the Marin County Free Library.....as soon as a copy is available I will be reading it.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's worth the money to show Trump he doesn't rule the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

I intend to purchase it for my birthday, which means I will sooner rather than later. 144 holds on 4-Copies.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Bannon's U-turning today.

He said today he was still behind Trump & his agenda and thought Trump was a great man.

He has not come forward and said anything attributed to him in the book is incorrect. There were rumors he was going to, but backed off when Trump said he had lost his mind.

BTW, the main thing I think keeping him from recanting what's in the book is Wolff probably has him on tape.

Coyotes like to have insurance.

Mark Geragos on CNN says Bannon is now considering suing Trump for defamation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

It seems Rebekah Mercer has in turn turned on Bannon. The Mercers are the main financial engine keeping Breitbart afloat. What happens now?

Boy, I love circular firing squads on the Right. For me, they are a joy to watch. And I have the popcorn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

yo, who's comparing coyotes to any of these douchebags?
id feed a coyote over ANY of these WH scumbags.

the author is a writer who was Given unlimited access for a reason: to cover groper.
that is what he did.
bravo.

pay no attention to the WH cockroaches looking to scurry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Coyote? He smuggles illegal immigrants? He sleeps with people so ugly that he has to gnaw off his own arm in the morning? He belongs to an organization that fights for the rights of sex workers? He drinks cosmos and hits on naive, young women? He's a canine related to dogs and wolves?

The Navajo interpretation of coyote person Roy. Someone who gossips untruths to disrupt harmony amoung others.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

gee, sam, did you ever bring up this version of "coyote" earlier?

id just as well not play the coyote easily.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

gee, sam, did you ever bring up this version of "coyote" earlier?

id just as well not play the coyote easily.

Coyotes howl eerily in darkness. I figured if I referred to a somewhat notorious tell all gossip book author as a coyote folks would immediately understand what I meant.

I suppose some people have never heard them speak.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

I like this Vox take on the book. Accurately notes the nature of the author. Mostly because I like Vox. :D

The controversy around Michael Wolff’s gossipy new Trump book, explained
The new book seems juicy. But what should we believe?
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... trump-book

My recommendation for reading Wolff
Overall, my advice for reading the book is to look closely at what Wolff reveals about the sourcing of each of his claims.

[snip][end]

BTW, that's good general advice.

Is there anything inaccurate in the book? Yeah, one thing people have noted is a claim that Trump didn't know who John Boehner was when asked. This seems unlikely. He does develop strategic amnesia on certain people (like David Duke) and might have developing dementia, but again, this seems unlikely. He's tweeted about Boehner 26 times.

So, it seems likely there might be inaccurate stuff in it. However, BTW, with regard to claims regarding Trump & dementia, I see some confirmation for this datum that doesn't rely on Wolff's gossip-mongering.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here, this says what I've been feeling under my skin since this tell all book store came out:

The New Republic's Alex Shephard said Wolff's work has always had a loose connection with the truth and that he has already "has been caught making very suspicious claims" in Fire and Fury.

Wolff's work relies on gossip to tell us what we already know about the administration and in the process Wolff's apparent willingness to "say anything, whether or not it’s strictly true ... only bolsters the Trump administration’s case that the fake news media is out to get him," Shephard said.

Here's where I came across that: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 004998001/

This book won't help us, it will diminish our voices. It helps Trump.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:07 am 
Board Emeritus

Here, this says what I've been feeling under my skin since this tell all book store came out:

The New Republic's Alex Shephard said Wolff's work has always had a loose connection with the truth and that he has already "has been caught making very suspicious claims" in Fire and Fury.

Wolff's work relies on gossip to tell us what we already know about the administration and in the process Wolff's apparent willingness to "say anything, whether or not it’s strictly true ... only bolsters the Trump administration’s case that the fake news media is out to get him," Shephard said.

Here's where I came across that: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 004998001/

This book won't help us, it will diminish our voices. It helps Trump.

There's a problem with this logic. Stephen Colbert pointed it out:

In an attempt at a takedown of Steve Bannon, President Donald Trump accused the former White House senior aide of both violating their non-disclosure agreement and also lying.

“Well, which is it?” Stephen Colbert said during “The Late Show” Thursday. “Is he lying or is he disclosing confidential information?”

Colbert broke into his Trump impression, saying, “Steve, you promised you’d never tell anyone about those terrible things you saw me not do. Remember?”

If it's fake, then why is Trump trying to keep it from coming out?

And let's recall Wolffe has HOURS and HOURS of tapes!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:37 am 
Policy Wonk

I like this Vox take on the book. Accurately notes the nature of the author. Mostly because I like Vox. :D

The controversy around Michael Wolff’s gossipy new Trump book, explained
The new book seems juicy. But what should we believe?
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... trump-book

My recommendation for reading Wolff
Overall, my advice for reading the book is to look closely at what Wolff reveals about the sourcing of each of his claims.

[snip][end]

BTW, that's good general advice.

Is there anything inaccurate in the book? Yeah, one thing people have noted is a claim that Trump didn't know who John Boehner was when asked. This seems unlikely. He does develop strategic amnesia on certain people (like David Duke) and might have developing dementia, but again, this seems unlikely. He's tweeted about Boehner 26 times.

So, it seems likely there might be inaccurate stuff in it. However, BTW, with regard to claims regarding Trump & dementia, I see some confirmation for this datum that doesn't rely on Wolff's gossip-mongering.

I see your point abut the Boner claim.... and I also know that if people don't like other people they may exaggerate... about how horrible those people are from those that don't like them.... that doesn't mean staffers didn't tell it to him.

Here though is what is curious to me. Nobody in the administration has said...... "I NEVER SAID THAT". I forget which one... but one tried to do that and Wolff told him...... "You realize I have Hours of taped recordings of our conversations". And the dude shut the fuck up.

2 days later...... can't bring in cell phones....

HMMMMMMMMMMMM

and we all thought it was trump's tweeting.....lol

Kelly isn't a fool.

I don't plan on buying the book for a while, but I will get it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:58 am 
Board Emeritus

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
It seems Rebekah Mercer has in turn turned on Bannon. The Mercers are the main financial engine keeping Breitbart afloat. What happens now?

Boy, I love circular firing squads on the Right. For me, they are a joy to watch. And I have the popcorn.

:arrow: Being persona non grata in Trump world should be a badge of honor. That being said, I'm not buying it for one minute that Trump is not keeping Bannon close and vice versa. I think we are all being played here. When this book becomes one of the highest grossing bestsellers of all time Trump will be publicly thanking Michael Wolff and Steve Bannon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:11 am 
Board Emeritus

Here's my impression. Wolff is a gadfly. He likes to attack other people in the media because they don't like his gadflyism. I believe, for that reason, when he showed up at the WH, Trump & others said ... well, you hate the same people we do ... here, show yourself around. I really do think he blindsided them - they thought he was writing a positive or neutral book, not something hostile. Wolff, BTW, has a history of blindsiding.

I think Vox is correct. He likes to pick up gossip and then retweet it. (Not exactly, but you get my point.) He's not so big into double-checking or getting a second source. The book should be treated as a massive collection of gossip. Gossip about Donald's hair. Gossip about Donald's bedtime habits. Gossip about his family. Don't get me wrong - it's juicy stuff, but what does it all mean for us & the country? (P.S. I think the Omarosa book will be worse, as far as that goes.)

Now there is stuff in there that relates to things that are serious. Obstruction of justice. Russiagate. Abject incompetence. The president having dementia. I guess I would say, I agree with the Vox author, gossip can be right, but we have to be careful, gossip can also be wrong. Perhaps, as always, we now need to be our own double checkers. Is what Wolff is saying backed up by other independent sources?

Bannon hasn't denied the quotes attributed to him in the book. He has, however, returned to hearting on Trump. AFAIK, neither has Gary Cohn. We can start there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:38 am 
Board Emeritus

I think this may be one of the more serious allegations in the book. Serious because, whatever one feels about the pragmatic feasibility of invocation of the 25th amendment, it seems hard to see why this was NOT one of the situations it was written for.

'Disgraceful and laughable': White House says Trump's mental health is just fine after author's claim that he repeats himself over and over again and can't recognize old friends
Michael Wolff claimed Thursday that Trump is increasingly forgetful, repeating stories word-for-word and failing to recognize old friends
To hide his failings from the public, Wolff claims the White House hatched a plan last fall to have interviewers submit their questions beforehand
From erratic tweeting to slurred speech, Trump's mental state has continually been questioned by Democrats, some of whom are trying to impeach him
Republican Sen. Bob Corker also questioned Trump's stability and competency
'Morning Joe' host Joe Scarborough assessed after a set of recent incidents that Trump appears to be suffering from dementia
White House was forced to comment Wednesday on Trump's 'mental fitness'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... state.html

[snip]

More than a dozen Democrats and one Republican senator were briefed last month by a Yale psychiatrist, Politico revealed on Thursday. Trump's tweets were the impetus.
'We feel that the rush of tweeting is an indication of his falling apart under stress. Trump is going to get worse and will become uncontainable with the pressures of the presidency,' Democratic Congresswoman Barbara Lee told the publication.
Scarborugh, an ex-Republican congressman who now co-hosts an MSNBC program, has also evaluated Trump's durability.
Noting that the president has demonstrated cognitive interruptions similar to the behavior he has observed in his own mother, Scarborough said during a December show, 'Unfortunately in the case of my mother, I can move that to the side and I am totally fine with that.
'In this case, Donald Trump has control of nuclear weapons,' the former Republican congressman added.
On another program, Scarborough said Trump is in the 'early stages of dementia.'
'Everybody around Donald Trump knows he’s not stable. Everybody around Donald Trump knows he’s not stable now. Everybody,' Scarborough stated.

[snip][end]

P.S. as I don't have professional expertise, I can also note only that I recently had a relation suffering from dementia and I too notice an overlap of symptomatology.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:58 am 
Board Emeritus

Cognitive impairment or simply deceit?

Trump book author Michael Wolff contradicts president, says he interviewed him
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1EU1GM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The author of a deeply critical book about Donald Trump’s first year in office said on Friday he had spoken with the president while working on it, contradicting Trump’s assertion that he had never talked to the writer for the book and had authorized “Zero access” to the White House.

[snip]

“I absolutely spoke to the president. Whether he realized it was an interview or not, I don’t know, but it was certainly not off the record,” he said on NBC’s “Today” program, adding that he had spoken to people who spoke to Trump on a daily, “sometimes minute by minute” basis.

Asked to clarify what he meant when he wrote that Trump’s entire circle questioned his fitness for office, Wolff said, “Let me put a marker in the sand here: 100 percent of the people around him ... They all say he is like a child. And what they mean by that is he has a need for immediate gratification. It’s all about him.”

[snip][end]

BTW, I understand this is a borderline unethical Wolff tactic - he talks to people, without telling them whether it's a real "on the record" interview, but always treats it as if it is. I understand in Washington that can cause consternation.

However, just because you spoke to him in a way that you considered "off the record" does not make it true "you never met him or spoke to him". :roll: The fact that several White House personnel clearly DID speak to Wolff (however they viewed the nature of the conversation) makes the statement "he had zero WH access" a falsehood.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

There's a problem with this logic. Stephen Colbert pointed it out:

In an attempt at a takedown of Steve Bannon, President Donald Trump accused the former White House senior aide of both violating their non-disclosure agreement and also lying.

“Well, which is it?” Stephen Colbert said during “The Late Show” Thursday. “Is he lying or is he disclosing confidential information?”

Colbert broke into his Trump impression, saying, “Steve, you promised you’d never tell anyone about those terrible things you saw me not do. Remember?”

If it's fake, then why is Trump trying to keep it from coming out?

And let's recall Wolffe has HOURS and HOURS of tapes!

You missed the point I was making, how can you question the logic behind it? I noticed the contradiction and have seen one you have not even mentioned. The contradictions are moot.

The point I'm making is this books tells us nothing we already don't know, but it tells it to us in a way for which its credibility can be easily attacked and then the whole issue be swept under a rug and be set aside. I realize in saying that it tells us nothing we don't already know there are details in that book we don't already know, I'm speaking of larger issues in general terms. The petty details in the book which we don't already know are questionable, even after reading then in that book we still will not know, nor is it likely that there is in a he said she said nature of these details will there be an avenue to either confirm or deny them in the future.

Gossip is poisoned speech, Judaism regards it as Lashon Ha-Ra (evil speech), Navajo's regard it as being of the spirit of the coyote.

Oh but it is irresistible. When I was about to post this I got the "At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this" message. I did want to review my post in light of that.

X knows it's wrong, that it's Lashon Ha-Ra. But the spirit of the coyote has him in its thrall. The urge to sift through and try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear,,, this gossip is irresistible.

This happened to us after 9/11. There were legitimate questions about what the Administrations and the Saudi government and its citizens which did which were valid avenues to be investigated. What happened was nutters started making claims about thermite and sundry conspiracy theories on the internet and in the media to some extent, and that provided cover for the Administration to sweep it all under the rug and stone wall any real investigation, they were allowed to investigate themselves with an assist from their friends in Congress. Here we sit to this day, we don't really know what happened.