Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: It rained in California
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:03 pm 
Policy Wonk

Something more surprising than that earthquake jolt, it actually rained in California.

I actually saw it with my own eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

It looks like it rained quite nicely north of Point Conception. The Thomas Fire zone got a few drops. Bone dry in L.A., of course. There's been a prediction of rain about 4 days out for something like the last 8 days. Every time it gets close, they bump it back to 4 days out again. Right now it's on for Tuesday.

I'm not buying it.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

It looks like it rained quite nicely north of Point Conception. The Thomas Fire zone got a few drops. Bone dry in L.A., of course. There's been a prediction of rain about 4 days out for something like the last 8 days. Every time it gets close, they bump it back to 4 days out again. Right now it's on for Tuesday.

I'm not buying it.

The Weather Channel is predicting 100% chance of rain on Tuesday for San Diego and Los Angeles. According to our local TV weatherman this is the driest start to the New Year in San Diego's recorded history. We'll welcome rain but it sounds like it's going to be a heavy rain and that'll cause problems on the freeways, flooding, and mudslides in burned areas. Our four rain barrels are empty so a 1/4 inch of rain will take about 30 minutes for them to fill up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

I saw 12 or 14 drops of rain yesterday. It seemed like it was going to rain all day today, but it didn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:05 pm 
Policy Wonk

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Today's SoCal forecast still has a rainy spell for Monday night and all day Tuesday. That would be nice, though the mud flows in the fire zones could be epic.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Today it's raining, more than a half inch so far. A nice steady slow rain. A nice in the house in sweats and slippers day. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hopefully turning to snow higher up where L.A. gets its water for the year.

--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's raining in L.A.!!!!!!

(sort of)

Now it's pouring.

--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

As of two moments ago we've had 0.76 of an inch rain since midnight. Yesterday we got 0.02 inches all day. Saturday we got 0.68 inches.

My rain gauge was set up exactly two years ago on Jan 8th. since that time it has recorded 102 inches of rain, eight and a half feet of rain.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes it's raining up here, too.

Hallelujah!!

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

good for allyalls!

i had about 100 drops the other nite.
that is all. over and out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:34 am 
Board Emeritus

We had a modest downpour late this afternoon. The bulk of the storm will happen overnight and lasting until about 10 a.m. Wednesday morning.

Not much needed to do to prepare for the storm. I turned off our sprinkler system and will leave it off for about five or six days. The only other thing was I wiped my windshield wipers off with a damp rag to prevent streaking while driving in the rain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:36 am 
Board Emeritus

We had a modest downpour late this afternoon. The bulk of the storm will happen overnight and lasting until about 10 a.m. Wednesday morning.

Not much needed to do to prepare for the storm. I turned off our sprinkler system and will leave it off for about five or six days. The only other thing was I wiped my windshield wipers off with a damp rag to prevent streaking while driving in the rain.

In the fall when I have to go to a parts store anyway I buy new wiper blades for my cars and the pickup because they only last one year here. I put them in the trunk and behind the drivers seat in the pickup and wait until it is raining a bit or looks like it will rain and then put them on.

This year the summer was so long hot and dry when I went to change them, all of them lost the wiper rubber about half way along their length. They looked fine just sitting there but as soon as I touched them they fell apart.

My rain gauge is up to 1.79 inches so far for today, and there's another hour and a half to go, I think it will get to 2 inches before midnight. I don't have to stay up to see, it's wireless and the unit in the house records the amount for each day.

Today the green pressed up though the brown decaying layer everywhere. Green season started today. We have the first flower in bloom as well. These kind of wild yellow tulip like flowers, they all bloomed two days ago. I've never seen them do it this early.

The summer growing season didn't end here until Dec 29th when the tomato vines froze. Here it is ten days later and Spring is here. A ten day winter, its got to be a record. An eight day winter if one goes by those wild yellow tulip like flowers and how the birds have been acting. But the coming of the green makes it official.

Brown season is over, it's green season now. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:10 am 
Policy Wonk

Sufferin succotash. Confounded weather. It is still raining. We've had fires, and drought, and now it's raining.
Oh yea,that is a good thing. Nevermind, I'll find something else to complain about.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Down here winter has become a 10 day cold spell in December most years. It used to be more like a month, but those were different times. We had ours for this year. Now out in the rain and "cold" wind it's all the way down to 60 degrees.

The trees here get really confused. Some just decided it was fall, and they're still turning. Others are probably two weeks max from breaking dormancy and sprouting new leaves.

Poured last night. Rain gauge here is the old fashioned kind that you go out in the rain to read, since it rains so seldom. The middle part is full and starting to overflow into the big part outside. Is that 1"? It's been so long that I can't remember.

Now the fire areas can have part II. They evacuated up in Santa Barbara/ Montecito yesterday but only 15% left. Today the coast highway is closed, and people are being rescued from mud slides.

Silly humans insist on living near mountains which have had this cycle since time immemorial.

--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Down here winter has become a 10 day cold spell in December most years. It used to be more like a month, but those were different times. We had ours for this year. Now out in the rain and "cold" wind it's all the way down to 60 degrees.

The trees here get really confused. Some just decided it was fall, and they're still turning. Others are probably two weeks max from breaking dormancy and sprouting new leaves.

Poured last night. Rain gauge here is the old fashioned kind that you go out in the rain to read, since it rains so seldom. The middle part is full and starting to overflow into the big part outside. Is that 1"? It's been so long that I can't remember.

Now the fire areas can have part II. They evacuated up in Santa Barbara/ Montecito yesterday but only 15% left. Today the coast highway is closed, and people are being rescued from mud slides.

Silly humans insist on living near mountains which have had this cycle since time immemorial.

I don't know what it means when it goes from the little part into the big part. On my old rain gauge that would have meant I didn't empty it soon enough. That happened a few times and when it did I had for use words like "at least ____" for the rest of the year.

Before I had this electronic rain gauge my gauge was an old 55 gallon barrel with the lid removed. I would go out there with a tape measure and dip it in. I would tip it over and empty it out when it filled up to the brim, two or three times a year.

Yesterdays rain total came to 1.89 inches at midnight. It continued raining on into the wee hours accumulating an additional 0.50 inch. Kind of neat how it stopped on an even half inch.

The rain has stopped, the sun's out. From Friday to now, all added together we got 3.12 inches out of this storm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

According to a local weather website, San Diego got 1.3 inches of rain in the last 24 hours. In the complex I live in, we have a central walkway with plant beds on either side of it filled with wood chips. When we usually get a heavy rain, the beds would become saturated to the point the wood chips would float out onto the walkway and down to the street about fifty feet. I looked out this morning about 9 am, I had a good lie-in, and the walkway was wet but no wood chips on it. What helped was the rain didn't come down all in a short time but was spread out over time to give the ground time to absorb the water.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mess up in Montecito and Carpenteria. 50 rescued, 5 dead, coast highway closed all the way down to Ventura. The Weather Channel has named our storm. Meet Hunter. He's organized kind of like a giant noreaster, except on this coast it's a southwester. Spins round and round, with the center over the Santa Barbara Channel. When he gets a push from the jet stream, coming atcha.

--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

im hearing the mud is already flowing and driving more people out.

this is no win.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

they should be evacuating people, calling for evacuations, Knowing this mud is going to flow down upon them.
they wont have time to get animals or themselves out if they wait.

those hills are nothing but tons upon tons of loose dirt ready to follow rules of gravity.
not If...but When.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

they should be evacuating people, calling for evacuations, Knowing this mud is going to flow down upon them.
they wont have time to get animals or themselves out if they wait.

those hills are nothing but tons upon tons of loose dirt ready to follow rules of gravity.
not If...but When.

There were mandatory evacuations in most of these areas, and there have been some new ones later today. Problem was that people didn't leave.

Up to 13 dead, I believe. The thing about that part of Santa Barbara is that it sticks out into the ocean and has mountains directly behind it. The rain clouds come in right off the water, and orographic lifting makes them dump more rain. It can really rain up there.

1.62" here. Yes, the middle part holds an inch. I hadn't used the thing in the better part of a year, and I'd forgotten. Silver linings, and all that. This is really going to help in L.A. later this year. Already the place is cleaner and less dusty. Mmmmmmmmmm.

--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

theres a hillside seen in film from BBC live from this mudslide slash fire area and... :o :o

there is absolutely Nothing to prevent that same hillside from sliding down, again, and again.

there is literally nothing but dirt. the top layers have already slid down.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

oprahs place survived. shes up on a knoll of some kind.
most of the homes around her place seems to be, mostly, gone.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now 17 dead and over 40 missing. Whole streets just gone. Not just mud, but huge boulders, and a lot of them. Covering the ground in places.

And, as rainwater said, the hills aren't done yet.

Some information emerges... for a start, it rained 0.52" in five minutes. That's half a inch. In five minutes. Most of what I remember about that area is that you can't believe how hard it can rain. The place sticks out into the ocean, so the clouds come right in, and then they hit an almost vertical mountain range and let go. You have to see it. I couldn't believe it. Harder than gullywashers in Arizona in September (seen those). Harder than the monsoon in India (seen video of that). It's like standing under someone emptying a bucket. You can't drive. You can't walk. You can't do anything except get the hell under cover and hope the creek doesn't rise.

A month after a catastrophic fire in the hills, and you're going to have problems.

The notifications weren't the best. The first time they did a push to the cell phone system, it didn't work very well. In the worst areas, they'd gone door to door, but only 15% left. In some other areas, the evac never went above voluntary, and people didn't want to stay away for possibly months after barely escaping harm from the fire.

Now, the water system has failed. This, too, is not unheard of. I had a boil water order up there once, after a rain storm that would have scared even Noah in his ark. (A guy asked me, how big is a cubit?)

You look at Montecito, it's a disaster waiting to happen. It's like a fancier version of Bel-Air, with even less infrastructure. While I admire Oprah Winfrey's intelligence and general smarts, living there was not one of her wiser decisions.

--------------

SB County Press Release Jan. 11

https://www.countyofsb.org/asset.c/3691

Quote:
[emergency water distribution locations]

The boil water notice remains in effect for Montecito Water District Customers. Water in
the cities of Santa Barbara and Carpinteria and all other communities is safe and within
state and federal standards. Further information on water treatment can be found on the
District web site: http://www.montecitowater.com/latest-ne ... 1-09-2018/

WATER OUTAGE IS ANTICIPATED THROUGHOUT THE DISTRICT

Damage to water supply infrastructure is extensive. The District will provide an
estimated time for repairs as soon as more information is available.

--"Wag the Dog"