RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tillerson has ordered yet another investigation of the purported "sonic attacks" on diplomatic personnel in Cuba.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42628342

Quote:
BBC Washington correspondent Gary O'Donoghue says this fresh inquiry - on top of investigations being conducted by agencies such as the FBI - is likely to strain relations even more following President Trump's decision to back away from the policy of rapprochement begun by his predecessor.

Last year, Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez dismissed allegations of any kind of attack on US embassy staff as "totally false".

At least one Canadian has experienced similar symptoms.

The Cui Bono on this one sticks out like dog's tits in January. New "administration" needs an excuse to back out of Cuba... look what comes along right at the perfect time. Also Russia benefits, and they still have SIGINT and ELINT assets in Cuba.

I'm still preoccupied with this more than I probably should be. It just seems like the timing is too perfect.

Meanwhile the Ph.D. types have pretty well discounted a "sonic weapon" for the reasons I've been on about for months now. Infrasonics would require an apparatus the size of Spinal Tap's amp backline, and wouldn't work anyway. Ultrasonics are more likely, but then you have to determine whether you can damage the brain in the manner described using any credible type of apparatus. Turns out you can't. They could damage brains from dead animals with ultrasound, but it was the wrong kind of damage, and again the equipment wasn't the easiest to target in the manner described and still keep concealed.

So what happened, and why are we being fed the same lame story as a year ago?

Oooooo-eeeeeee-oooooooooooo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:17 pm 
Policy Wonk

We don't know what happened. At this point, all we know is that 24 people were ill.... Seem to be showing signs, I think, of head trauma.

They've pretty much ruled out 'sonic' attacks. One of the things they are looking at is that these diplomats were given a virus.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

If we just jettison the sonic attack propaganda and try to understand what happened, we might learn. Instead we just get that the repeated assurance that the Cuban government knows all about it and won't tell. This could be true, but only if Russia has scared them into silence, as it went about its national interest by attacking diplomats and derailing US investment in Cuba.

The Cuban government is not high tech. Its idea of cutting edge is transferring files to spies with 20 year old ham radio freeware, over noisy Radio Havana transmitters. The GRU/SVR/FSB are far more credible suspects. They slip Polonium into your tea, or inject you with a microscopic capsule of non-traceable poison from an umbrella on a rainy London day. SVR, especially, is possibly the most advanced foreign intelligence service in the world. It's real James Bond stuff. Those guys are wizards, and there are a lot of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Cuba has done their own investigation, and decided it was stress. You don't have to consider this to be credible. I'm not sure I do. Still...

Richard Stone, SCIENCE, December 5, 2017

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/12/ ... el-asserts

Quote:
U.S. officials did provide sound recordings—possibly made by diplomats or family members in and around their homes—to the Cuban team. For comparison, Carlos Barcelo Pérez, an environmental physicist at the National Institute of Hygiene, Epidemiology and Microbiology here, recorded evening sounds around the residences. The biggest noisemakers were insects. Pérez found that the Jamaican field cricket (Gryllus assimilis) chirps at a frequency matching the grating sound on the recordings, which topped out at 74.6 decibels—not loud enough to damage hearing, he says.

This and the FBI report allow us to rule out "sonic attacks." It's OK to stop talking about them now. Crickets are a different type of sonic attack, and they can really crank when it's hot out, but they are hardly a Russian doomsday weapon.

Rubio says, well then, they must have used microwaves. I refuse to waste bandwidth quoting Rubio, as if he was even close to a credible source on anything.

Some people wonder if there was ever an attack at all. Mass hysteria and stress have been suggested by a few people with more credibility than the Cuban government. These don't explain the clinical abnormalities found in a few brains, but proponents argue that those might have been present before the patients went to Cuba.

Can't say.

The Cui Bono test still points to Russia, but this of course is hypothetical, and hardly a serious suggestion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

I looked up critters to see if there was a possibly there. There is this one critter which Cuba has which is found nowhere else in the world.

The Cuban Solenodon or Almiqui. Their saliva is venomous. Their snout would fit just so into someones ear. ;)

It's one of the living fossils, it's has not changed much in millions of years, i read somewhere that it's been around for 30 million years.

"Since its discovery in 1861 by the German naturalist Wilhelm Peters, only 36 had ever been caught. By 1970, some thought the Cuban solenodon had become extinct, since no specimens had been found since 1890. Three were captured in 1974 and 1975, and subsequent surveys showed it still occurred in many places in central and western Oriente Province, at the eastern end of Cuba; however, it is rare everywhere. Prior to 2003, the most recent sighting was in 1999, mainly because it is a nocturnal burrower, living underground, and thus is very rarely seen. The Cuban solenodon found in 2003, named Alejandrito, brought the number ever caught to 37. It had a mass of 24 oz (0.68 kg) and was healthy. It was released back into the wild after two days of scientific study were completed." --wiki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've always considered that this whole thing could be a Junebug Epidemic. Where the contagion is psychosomatic more than anything else.

It's hard to say.

http://thatisbizarre.blogspot.com/2011/ ... demic.html

Some folks appear to have physical symptoms that are not like those kind of syndromes. Objective, measurable changes in neurophysiology. I really shrug at the whole thing, and admit I have no idea what's going on.

Other obvious question would be why. The motives for these (alleged) attacks on diplomats - some Canadian - why? Were the Canadians accidental collateral damage, or additional targets?

Is there something being tested out here, with no other real objective other than that? See what happens? I guess the return of the X-Files is starting to affect me again, a lot of episodes went that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:11 pm 
Policy Wonk

I've always considered that this whole thing could be a Junebug Epidemic. Where the contagion is psychosomatic more than anything else.

It's hard to say.

http://thatisbizarre.blogspot.com/2011/ ... demic.html

Some folks appear to have physical symptoms that are not like those kind of syndromes. Objective, measurable changes in neurophysiology. I really shrug at the whole thing, and admit I have no idea what's going on.

Other obvious question would be why. The motives for these (alleged) attacks on diplomats - some Canadian - why? Were the Canadians accidental collateral damage, or additional targets?

Is there something being tested out here, with no other real objective other than that? See what happens? I guess the return of the X-Files is starting to affect me again, a lot of episodes went that way.

The Department of State Medical Office says they have ruled out that this is psychosomatic or group panic. They have deemed the symptoms to be real...though they can't identify the cause. (ok, you may not want to believe them...that's a different issue. I do in this case.)

At this point its not know either who or why. So, of course, we don't have a motive. As for me (and this is just my prejudice) I wont be surprised if a third party is involved...maybe Iran, Venezuela or North Korea, maybe Isis (or that fat guy in his bedroom who Trump suspects is responsible for a lot of things.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm still trying to figure the what. Before we get to the who and why.

So, it seems clear, despite the media constantly claiming so, Zowie is right -- these don't appear to be "sonic attacks" either by infrasonic or ultrasonic "attack". This theory appears to result from the fact that victims claim they sometimes heard an audible noise (though not always), and that one of the biological effects was hearing loss.

Here's another theory on the what.

https://www.wired.com/story/us-diplomat ... otoxicity/

But sound isn’t the only thing that affects hearing and the brain. Chemicals do, too. It’s called ototoxicity—toxicity to the ear—and it’s a known side effect of, for example, some chemotherapeutics and antibiotics. The widely used cancer drug cisplatin can cause hearing loss, as can the category of antibiotics called aminoglycosides, which includes streptomycin and neomycin. Basically, those drugs get into the fluid-filled ductwork of the inner ear and damage the hair cells, which talk to the nerves that lead to the brain.

[snip][end]

So, here's the next question I wonder. Have victims been blood tested? What's in their blood? Have any ototoxins shown up?

After that: how did these ototoxins get in their bloodstream? It's not like this doesn't raise additional questions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:11 am 
Policy Wonk

Cuba has done their own investigation, and decided it was stress. You don't have to consider this to be credible. I'm not sure I do. Still...

Richard Stone, SCIENCE, December 5, 2017

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/12/ ... el-asserts

This and the FBI report allow us to rule out "sonic attacks." It's OK to stop talking about them now. Crickets are a different type of sonic attack, and they can really crank when it's hot out, but they are hardly a Russian doomsday weapon.

Rubio says, well then, they must have used microwaves. I refuse to waste bandwidth quoting Rubio, as if he was even close to a credible source on anything.

Some people wonder if there was ever an attack at all. Mass hysteria and stress have been suggested by a few people with more credibility than the Cuban government. These don't explain the clinical abnormalities found in a few brains, but proponents argue that those might have been present before the patients went to Cuba.

Can't say.

The Cui Bono test still points to Russia, but this of course is hypothetical, and hardly a serious suggestion.

Microwaves.....lol.... Freaking Rubio.....lol. What an idiot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:14 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'm still trying to figure the what. Before we get to the who and why.

So, it seems clear, despite the media constantly claiming so, Zowie is right -- these don't appear to be "sonic attacks" either by infrasonic or ultrasonic "attack". This theory appears to result from the fact that victims claim they sometimes heard an audible noise (though not always), and that one of the biological effects was hearing loss.

Here's another theory on the what.

https://www.wired.com/story/us-diplomat ... otoxicity/

But sound isn’t the only thing that affects hearing and the brain. Chemicals do, too. It’s called ototoxicity—toxicity to the ear—and it’s a known side effect of, for example, some chemotherapeutics and antibiotics. The widely used cancer drug cisplatin can cause hearing loss, as can the category of antibiotics called aminoglycosides, which includes streptomycin and neomycin. Basically, those drugs get into the fluid-filled ductwork of the inner ear and damage the hair cells, which talk to the nerves that lead to the brain.

[snip][end]

So, here's the next question I wonder. Have victims been blood tested? What's in their blood? Have any ototoxins shown up?

After that: how did these ototoxins get in their bloodstream? It's not like this doesn't raise additional questions.
Yeah. They don't know 'what' yet.....I'm pretty sure that the 'sonic wave' attacks, though, still remain without 'evidence.' I'd be awful surprised if the medical office hasn't done blood tests. I believe 14 of the 24 people affected are still out of work.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/the-mysterious-cuba-sonic-attacks-are-still-puzzling-investigators

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

The facts on this one seem to dribble out very slowly. It would appear to me that the victims have indeed had many medical tests, and in some cases real pathology was found.

There is apparently no known means of doing what was done using any technology that anyone is willing to talk about. I can't get past the timing. A lot of things have happened in the past year that seem just too coincidental.

Yes, I suppose that it's like a coin coming up heads 100 straight times.

Yes, I understand that the curse of intelligence is searching for patterns where there may not be any, but the facts remain like this:

Still it all seems just a little too perfect.

My guesses remain guesses, but (in order of credibility) they go:

1. Russian government does not want Cuba to become another Caribbean beach resort for American corporations, and wants to maintain its little offshore pied-a-terre for its own purposes. Was sending intelligence assets back to Lourdes and other bases, and suddenly Cuba makes nice with the US. Gotta fix that.

2. Unknown US faction, possibly within the Florida exile community, seeks to torpedo relations. Gets help from unknown counter-intelligence assets.

3. Cuban government, or a faction inside same, shoots self in foot, using technology that the world has never seen before.

4. We've discovered some new disease.

???????????????????????????????? Oooooo-eeeeee-oooooooooo.