RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:24 am 
Board Emeritus

So...we not only have the typical far-right wingjobs taking a crap on anything coming out of anybody a millimeter to the left of Attila The Hun. We not only have web forum conservatives (two of them right here that come to mind immediately) constantly bleating their pukey whataboutery, and their insistence that "both parties" are the problem. Feh...

The reality?

Quote:
E.J. Dionne, Jr. - The Washington Post 1/10/18
There is a reason bipartisan government is so hard these days. It’s not because “both parties” are intransigent or because “both parties” have moved to the “extremes.” It’s because what were once widely seen as moderate, common-sense solutions are pushed off the table by a far right that defines compromise as acquiescence to its agenda.

And since I don’t get to say it often, I want to thank President Trump for making this abundantly clear during the unexpectedly televised part of his meeting with congressional leaders on Tuesday. At one point, he stumbled into a sensible and compassionate approach to the plight of “dreamers”— immigrants brought here illegally by their parents when they were children. They have grown up entirely as Americans.

WAPO - Trump's Accidental Moment of Truth.

And the ultra-right is going fucking nuts. If the dumbass poor white disenfranchised working class bigot base is paying any attention...they're the one's who are feeling betrayed.

Quote:
The debate is matching various (Republican party) factions against one other and testing the willingness of the Republican base to accept a necessary compromise with Democrats that is certain to be portrayed by some as a moment of political betrayal.

It's no wonder the closed doors talks on Capitol Hill are so tense and contentious and President Donald Trump's every comment is so closely scrutinized.

"Everybody has their own franchise ... but somebody has to put forward a document, somebody has to put forward a bill," Arizona Republican Sen. Jeff Flake said Wednesday. "I don't see any other game in town."

Yet Republicans on Capitol Hill say that only an unequivocal statement by Trump about the bill he wants to see, and a sincere effort to offer cover to conservative lawmakers, will allow a compromise to get to his desk.

Yeh...sure an unequivocal statement by a President who wouldn't know an unequivocal statement if an unequivocal statement bit him on is huge, white, zit-covered, cellulite ridden ass. The GOP factions are out in force. An immigration bill is going to end up just like the repeal and replace Obamacare bill.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:35 am 
Board Emeritus

Didn't Madison say something about "factions" a long time ago?

The idiot American public wants factions, doesn't want compromise and doesn't care about anything for anyone else but themselves. This is the base problem with rugged individualism and the whole American mythology schtick. Belief in untrue fables will result in being captive to those factually untrue beliefs.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:40 am 
Board Emeritus

First off, he was all over the fucking place, as usual. He clearly wanted to project "smart, capable leader" as rebuke of the Fire & Fury portrait, but as always reinforced the opposite view.

"We need a Wall. Did I say Wall? Wall might really mean fence. Actually, fence might mean more border security. OK, might not be as many miles as I originally thought. BTW, Mexico's still going to pay for it, somehow. I don't know the somehow but they will. Anyway, whatever it is, we need it."
"I'm for DACA. Don't you understand? I undid what Obama did on DACA because I support DACA. Because my DACA will be better than Obama's DACA because I won't do it, Congress will, and he was a Kenyan anyway. Oh, a judge said what I did was illegal? Well, anyway."
"I want to get tough on immigration. I will get tough on immigration by agreeing to what the people in this room agree on. Because I am great at making deals." :roll:

This is what happens when you have no real core values or beliefs or principles, are stuck because of dog-whistle appeals you made to bigots during the campaign that are now all that remains of a shrinking base, and really don't get that it's not just health care policy making that's hard, lots of policy making is hard because you actually have to understand complex things and read policy documents.

There was a benefit to the meeting: Trump continues to prove the basic portrait of him in Fire & Fury to be essentially correct: incompetent, incapable, unfit, and unable to work with others.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:48 am 
Board Emeritus

This is what happens when you have no real core values or beliefs or principles, are stuck because of dog-whistle appeals you made to bigots during the campaign that are now all that remains of a shrinking base, and really don't get that it's not just health care policy making that's hard, lots of policy making is hard because you actually have to understand complex things and read policy documents.

Agreed. But it's not just his lack of core values and/or beliefs. I believe at the bottom of it all, he is to self-absorbed (heaven forbid I should call it "narcissistic" and be accused of a remote diagnosis) to have any interest in taking the time to learn anything that won't help him screw the next subcontractor, or vendor out of the money that puts food on their family dinner table.

Although I suppose I'm saying the same thing you are, perfesser...just using the clinical structure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:50 am 
Board Emeritus

Conway: Trump ‘Discovered’ a Wall Not Needed Across Entire Border
https://www.thedailybeast.com/conway-tr ... ire-border

President Donald Trump “discovered” that a physical wall across the entire U.S. border with Mexico is not needed, top White House adviser Kellyanne Conway said Wednesday night on CNN. According to Conway, Trump is pushing for “better technology” and “fencing” because the terrain at some parts of the border is not “conducive to building a physical structure in some places.” Conway said Trump made the discovery “after conferring with experts who are involved in this process.” Republican and Democratic lawmakers are negotiating a compromise deal that would include protections for DREAMers in exchange for border security measures sought by Republicans.

[snip][end]

That is one fucking amazing discovery Kellyanne. You want to know what's amazing about it? People have been trying to tell him exactly that for over a year, and he didn't fucking listen!

So, maybe he should have made this "discovery" before he made it a central campaign issue, and got people screaming "Build the Wall!" and the even more bogus "Make Mexico Pay for It!" at every stupid Trumpoid rally!

Discovery's a good thing - but to me this sounds like "discovering" drunk driving is dangerous after you slam into a wall and put yourself in the hospital - it's not like you couldn't have listened to people trying to tell you that beforehand.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

> Conway: Trump ‘Discovered’ a Wall Not Needed Across Entire Border

El Paso breathes a collective sigh of relief.

Drumpf's clearly apparent clinical disorder has been remote-diagnosed by so many mental health professionals that IMHO it's fine for Ike to chime in too. It also motivated that hilarious STABLE GENIUS bill, which has the non-hilarious intent of testing presidential candidates. I'm not sure how that would survive a court challenge without a constitutional amendment, but it's still one of the great creative uses of the Nooz. We need more of that.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Conway: Trump ‘Discovered’ a Wall Not Needed Across Entire Border
https://www.thedailybeast.com/conway-tr ... ire-border

President Donald Trump “discovered” that a physical wall across the entire U.S. border with Mexico is not needed, top White House adviser Kellyanne Conway said Wednesday night on CNN. According to Conway, Trump is pushing for “better technology” and “fencing” because the terrain at some parts of the border is not “conducive to building a physical structure in some places.” Conway said Trump made the discovery “after conferring with experts who are involved in this process.” Republican and Democratic lawmakers are negotiating a compromise deal that would include protections for DREAMers in exchange for border security measures sought by Republicans.

[snip][end]

That is one fucking amazing discovery Kellyanne. You want to know what's amazing about it? People have been trying to tell him exactly that for over a year, and he didn't fucking listen!

So, maybe he should have made this "discovery" before he made it a central campaign issue, and got people screaming "Build the Wall!" and the even more bogus "Make Mexico Pay for It!" at every stupid Trumpoid rally!

Discovery's a good thing - but to me this sounds like "discovering" drunk driving is dangerous after you slam into a wall and put yourself in the hospital - it's not like you couldn't have listened to people trying to tell you that beforehand.

Wednesday night, that must have been around the same time Kellyanne Conway said nobody at the white house is talking about Hillary Clinton.

I saw the headline about that this morning. I had been thinking that Trump has not been at the White house lately, that report confirmed my suspicion.