RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

So today we had an alarming false alarm. The people of Hawaii were warned there was an incoming ballistic missile attack. It took 38 minutes to declare a false alarm.

Now there are rumors this was a hack or a sick joke of some kind. Meanwhile, Trump is golfing. Wonder how he reacted? Surely he was told about it wasn't he? No statements from him on it yet. Wonder if he even flinched.

Edit: Per CNN - someone pressed the wrong button.

Can you imagine being in Hawaii? People scrambling to find shelter. There are videos of people placing their children in storm drains.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Bad: the panic in HI for no reason...

Worse: I'm hoping right now that POTUS wasn't told we were under attack. I don't think he was, or I wouldn't be typing this. I feel like we just dodged a major bullet. Had POTUS received bad information, which likely he didn't, he'd have likely launched a retaliation on NK.

Lesson #1: This is when we learn (again) that the nuke shit is real, and we need to get more control over presidential orders involving nuclear strikes NOW.

Lesson #2: We need to avoid these false alerts. Some guy at some local authority shouldn't be able to "push the wrong button." The system needs to be more fault tolerant than that. MS-Word asks me if I really want to quit without saving my file. The nuke stuff should ask if you really want to tell the population to kiss their asses good bye.

It's not the first time, either. Both sides have done same on multiple occasions and usually one guy in the chain of command somewhere has saved civilization. This is why we take presidential elections more seriously than many people took the last one.

Sheez...................................

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Un-fucking-believable.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:03 am 
Board Emeritus

Donald Trump Stayed On The Golf Course As Hawaii Panicked
He didn’t even tweet about the false missile alarm as soon as he put away his golf clubs.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tr ... 3c55a32242

Critics are blasting President Donald Trump for continuing to golf Saturday while frantic Hawaii residents rushed for cover after a false cell phone alarm about an incoming ballistic missile.

The president was on the course at his Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach, Florida, after the alert was issued at 1:09 p.m. EST, according to press pool reports. His motorcade didn’t leave the club for Mar-a-Lago until 1:38 p.m.

Although Hawaii’s Emergency Management Agency quickly tweeted that the initial warning was an error, it took 38 minutes before a second mobile alert declared the first a false alarm. Officials said the wrong button had been pushed.

As of Saturday evening, Trump had not issued any personal statement — or tweet — about the scare. He did tweet about “fake news” and again called journalist Michael Wolff’s book, Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, a “fake book.” He described Wolff as “mentally deranged.”

It’s not clear exactly when Trump learned of the alert, although presumably the president would be informed of any potential threat immediately.

[snip]

Former Pentagon official Col. Morris Davis criticized the president in a tweet for continuing his round of golf on his “taxpayer funded vacation” as Hawaiians “braced for a ballistic missile strike.”

Former Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.) tweeted that Trump was “somewhere on the back nine” while “1.5 million American citizens” were told to seek shelter.

[snip][end]

So -- he may have been notified it was a false alarm. (When, exactly, is not clear.) That doesn't justify the complete lack of reaction. Fine, but shouldn't the POTUS notify the people of Hawaii as well using his favorite Twitter machine it was a false alarm -- you know, "the consoler in chief" stuff?

Nah. Too busy golfing. And, BTW, what did he tweet about yesterday? The California mudslides? No, more calling Michael Wolff "deranged". Then he retweeted alt-right/Seth Rich-Pizzagate CTist Jack Posobiec....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am 
Board Emeritus

Is the Hawaii Emergeny Management System part of the Federal Emergency Management System? Or is it a state managed agency not affiliated with the federal system. Because, if it's part of the federal system, it's part of FEMA.

And if it's part of FEMA the executive branch is responsible for it's management. And if that's the case, Trump is responsible for this fucking shit. The is a goddamn incompetent administration...and we already know it's incompetent from top to bottom. So...independent of impeachment or 25th Amendment removal of a President...WTF is the responsibility of the rest of the government when the fucking administrative branch is incompetent from top to bottom?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:25 am 
Board Emeritus

Rachel Maddow spent quite a bit of time about how much difficulty the maladmin had merely setting up a conference phone call with reporters.

The transcript from that misadventure was hilarious.

Yeah, top to bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm still very pissed off about this. The shithole-in-chief said nothing. Zilch. Nada. And his dick contest with Kim Jong-Un is what caused it.

These nuke alarms have gone out before. Mistakes happen in a hair-trigger system with single failure points. I vaguely recall a situation where someone, either at a news wire or in the civil defense system, caused a similar alert to go out nationwide. There was little or no panic. Presumably, the single failure point was fixed, the way this one will be.

This time was different. We have all the top-level cock strutting going on, and Hawaii already having nuke drills like in the 50s-60s. We have everyone and their brother and their sister and their small dog seeing it on their semi-divine reality mediator called a cell phone. Of course people would believe it. In an instant.

This asshole POTUS got us back in 1950s nuke panic mode. What next, basement fallout shelters? This is unforgivable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 pm 

I say 45 is probably hoping that this will happen again as his ultimate wet dream is to have an excuse, legitimate or not, to launch against North Korea!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:34 pm 
Policy Wonk

I've always wondered about the 2016 electorate who elected this man to be their President,
what they were thinking for this man has control of the box that controls the nukes. What
would we do if we have situations which we have from time to time for this is the man who
has to decide what gets done.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've always wondered about the 2016 electorate who elected this man to be their President,
what they were thinking for this man has control of the box that controls the nukes. What
would we do if we have situations which we have from time to time for this is the man who
has to decide what gets done.

All they were thinking about were his promises to save their jobs. They didn't care how many pussies he grabbed or how much he bragged about it.

A couple of days ago there was an interview with some 50-ish bushy haired redhead on CNN, I think and she's whining about how he promised and didn't deliver and how he needs to deliver. And I'm yelling at the tee vee, "qwitcher fucking whining you self-absorbed bigot. You're getting just what you fucking deserve. Go cry to somebody who gives a shit."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm still very pissed off about this. The shithole-in-chief said nothing. Zilch. Nada. And his dick contest with Kim Jong-Un is what caused it.

These nuke alarms have gone out before. Mistakes happen in a hair-trigger system with single failure points. I vaguely recall a situation where someone, either at a news wire or in the civil defense system, caused a similar alert to go out nationwide. There was little or no panic. Presumably, the single failure point was fixed, the way this one will be.

This time was different. We have all the top-level cock strutting going on, and Hawaii already having nuke drills like in the 50s-60s. We have everyone and their brother and their sister and their small dog seeing it on their semi-divine reality mediator called a cell phone. Of course people would believe it. In an instant.

This asshole POTUS got us back in 1950s nuke panic mode. What next, basement fallout shelters? This is unforgivable.

What's next? It's already here, advertisements abound on the Internet now for how to books to build your own blast and fallout shelters. Tour some right wing sites, you'll see them there.

This populist political strategy Trump came up with, uses, and thinks makes him a genius is old as the Bible itself, in fact it's spelled out in the Bible, both the in the new testament and the old.

Fear! Use fear to obtain control.

The speed at which the right wing media picked up on and has criticized our blaming of Trump for having been the root cause of this leads me to wonder if this wasn't a contrived act to stampede us, get us milling around creating chaos in our wake, playing into our fears.

Our fear of him works for him.

At times I think the best way to beat Trump would be to get all of us to down a Prozac milkshake every morning. :|

Being nonplussed about everything he says or does. And on every occasion which affords itself nonchalantly remarking to others in a soft calm voice, "You know, I think Trump is a skunk."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm not afraid of him. He's good at pretending to be a strong man, but unlike some other world examples (Duterte, Erdogan, Putin), he's weak, cowardly, and as Bill Maher says, basically just a whiny bitch. He can only pretend to be a strongman. Kill his enemies? No, he just tweets stupid shit at them. U.S. authoritarians like him for what he plays on Reality TV.

I'm afraid of what he will do, or maybe after this incident, fail to do. That seems to be rational fear, based on his irrationality, incompetence, stupidity, and incapacity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Rachel Maddow spent quite a bit of time about how much difficulty the maladmin had merely setting up a conference phone call with reporters.

The transcript from that misadventure was hilarious.

Yeah, top to bottom.

I saw that segment on her show. It reminds me of the Geico commercial where the Gecko is conducting a meeting and others are calling-in on the phone.
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

has our drama queen said anything about this yet?

if not, id like to know why he is ignoring it. surely his patterns follow, and this pattern of ignoring
things you DO know is not new.
its starting to stink of him knowing about this and now, pretending to ignore it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

I saw that segment on her show. It reminds me of the Geico commercial where the Gecko is conducting a meeting and others are calling-in on the phone.

I have to do those things.... maintenance meetings from across the country....lol. I used to TORTURE my daughters with my geico ringtone though.... I actually feel bad about it now.

edit..... when they were with their friends... i would call my wife to have her call me back so the ringtone would play.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

k, wait....am i sppsd to believe this prez did not know a thing about this error for over 38 minutes?

is that it?

we, or, the people of hawaii got a WARNING msg but the WH golf cart didnt get it?

holy shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

k, wait....am i sppsd to believe this prez did not know a thing about this error for over 38 minutes?

is that it?

we, or, the people of hawaii got a WARNING msg but the WH golf cart didnt get it?

holy shit.

He was having a Big Mac attack that took precedence.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:12 am 
Policy Wonk

is that it?

holy shit.

From what I understand.... once the alert goes out..... the federal emergency management agency has to check the situation and determine that it is not credible before the state can rescind the emergency order.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
So today we had an alarming false alarm. The people of Hawaii were warned there was an incoming ballistic missile attack. It took 38 minutes to declare a false alarm.

Now there are rumors this was a hack or a sick joke of some kind. Meanwhile, Trump is golfing. Wonder how he reacted? Surely he was told about it wasn't he? No statements from him on it yet. Wonder if he even flinched.

Can you imagine being in Hawaii? People scrambling to find shelter. There are videos of people placing their children in storm drains.

:arrow: This had to be a pretty scary few minutes. I saw video of a father putting his kids down a manhole for safety.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

is that it?

holy shit.

Warnings are supposed to propagate from the military early warning system to the president, and then out from there. They don't propagate upward to the president from some yutz in Hawaii clicking on a button. With this president, that's a good thing. His first impulse would have been to launch on warning.

Obviously the software needs some revision. The idea of two guys both having to hit the button is good, provided that their user interfaces are outside arm's length of each other, the way the keys are in the missile control rooms.

Communication theory gets into this. I keep thinking there might be some way to challenge the traffic, asking for an authenticator or something similar. If Pay Pal can do that, you'd think civil defense could think up a way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Warnings are supposed to propagate from the military early warning system to the president, and then out from there. They don't propagate upward to the president from some yutz in Hawaii clicking on a button. With this president, that's a good thing. His first impulse would have been to launch on warning.

Obviously the software needs some revision. The idea of two guys both having to hit the button is good, provided that their user interfaces are outside arm's length of each other, the way the keys are in the missile control rooms.

Communication theory gets into this. I keep thinking there might be some way to challenge the traffic, asking for an authenticator or something similar. If Pay Pal can do that, you'd think civil defense could think up a way.

The key is to keep any one person from acting on their own to issue an alert. You can do this by separating the actions involved. You would have a number of people who would have access to the computer program to issue the alert but they would have to enter a code assigned to them to do so. That would only allow them access to the screen requesting an alert code. The alert code would be controlled by someone without access to the alert program and they would have to physically hand them the code in a sealed envelope. This way, neither one has the ability to key-in the code without the assistance of the other.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

ok so...how come norad or one of the missiles defense warning mechanisms didnt pick up on this
warning hitting hawaii?

how come there was no scramble, again. they have them in the air 24/7 they dont have to get
out of their jammies and go to base.
how come no one in the defense system didnt pick this up, or, pick up on this for 38minutes...

the distance between what the public watches on tv crime shows and what reality is, is vast, apparently.
they can find my scent but they didnt know about this warning sorta makes me..tense.

alexa...any incoming tonite?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

ok. i GET that it was determined to be an accident.
i GET that.

what i dont get is this. even if there was a "warning" of "incoming" how does this go
on for 38 minutes without a "scramble"...????

norad is still active.

Last edited by rainwater on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

see there was NO scramble for that day, 9 leven leven for some fucking reason...and no scramble for this
hawaii event.

they are in the sky. they dont need to take off. what is..why...i dont get WhatTF WE SCRAMBLE FOR.

..or was this cut from the fucking budget too.