Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Reality Check

The Democratic Party has went to the center, even the center-right. The Republican Party has gone so far to the right it isn't even Republican anymore. It's a nationalist, fascist party.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Again since you are a self described moderate please enlighten me/us with a liberal position that you oppose and can honestly say the left is wrong. If you were a moderate then you would have at least some moderate/conservative positions.

As for the 1960 GOP platform yes it has gone to far to the right. However to suggest the DNC has not gone to the left is being less than honest with yourself.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Again since you are a self described moderate please enlighten me/us with a liberal position that you oppose and can honestly say the left is wrong. If you were a moderate then you would have at least some moderate/conservative positions.

As for the 1960 GOP platform yes it has gone to far to the right. However to suggest the DNC has not gone to the left is being less than honest with yourself.

You don't know what you are talking about. The Democratic Party is far to the right of the New Deal Democratic Party of FDR.

FDR for liberals and Eisenhower for conservatives is where you should measure liberals and conservatives.

I'm moderate on gun rights, for one thing.

I believe in a strong national defense.

I'm in line with the 1960 Republican Party on Labor Rights.

I believe in a government that is well-run, and in making sure we pay our bills.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hillary's DNC wasn't far enough to the left for the large majority of the party rank and file. This was one reason for the enthusiasm gap.

By the standards of 1960's election, the Democratic Party is now slightly right of center. It's about where Eisenhower would have governed from. The GOP has gone over the edge. It's hard to know what they're really about, since all they seem to stand for is a radical redistribution of wealth toward the very rich. It's well to the right of where the far right, say Goldwater, was in 1960.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

You don't know what you are talking about. The Democratic Party is far to the right of the New Deal Democratic Party of FDR.

FDR for liberals and Eisenhower for conservatives is where you should measure liberals and conservatives.

I'm moderate on gun rights, for one thing.

I believe in a strong national defense.

I'm in line with the 1960 Republican Party on Labor Rights.

I believe in a government that is well-run, and in making sure we pay our bills.

I knew you couldn't name even one moderate position or even one position where you could say that Progressives are wrong. Instead you go back close to 60 years ago. OK, if this were 60 years ago I would be a Democrat, back in the days before the Democratic Party was hijacked by you "moderates". :rw)

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:03 pm 
Policy Wonk

That Republican Party led by Eisenhower found the means to build the Interstate
highway system which is the last large infrastructure project in this country. One
does not need to be liberal to get things done as long as they are honest with
themselves.

Instead we end up with more and more tax cuts which have never been shown
to be the be all and end all the right claims.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

I knew you couldn't name even one moderate position or even one position where you could say that Progressives are wrong. Instead you go back close to 60 years ago. OK, if this were 60 years ago I would be a Democrat, back in the days before the Democratic Party was hijacked by you "moderates". :rw)

You are obviously a fucking liar. First one - gun rights.

Idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

That Republican Party led by Eisenhower found the means to build the Interstate
highway system which is the last large infrastructure project in this country. One
does not need to be liberal to get things done as long as they are honest with
themselves.

Instead we end up with more and more tax cuts which have never been shown
to be the be all and end all the right claims.

Ike knew there was a place for Big Government. If we were to try that today, glen would say "we can't".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

60 years ago....... careful, that makes you a Dixiecrat.

As I said, the current Democratic consensus is about where Eisenhower would have governed from. Infrastructure investment was considered essential to national security. Education was practically a secular religion. You can't imagine a Republican Party like this now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

60 years ago....... careful, that makes you a Dixiecrat.

As I said, the current Democratic consensus is about where Eisenhower would have governed from. Infrastructure investment was considered essential to national security. Education was practically a secular religion. You can't imagine a Republican Party like this now.

Republicans won't even maintain the highways we have now!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

You are obviously a fucking liar. First one - gun rights.

Idiot.

First be careful about personal attacks we have one guy who is known to report those. I hope he doesn't see this one as I am sure he will be all over it. Unless he is a fucking hypocrite and pussy.

Second after all times you've said that I am FOS for believing the left wants to ban guns are you now admitting to that. While you claim gun rights you are still in favor of very strict regulations and the banning of many weapons not just assault weapons......epic fail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Again since you are a self described moderate please enlighten me/us with a liberal position that you oppose and can honestly say the left is wrong.

I know that question was aimed at GoU ... but I'll jump in.

Zionism. ;) In particular, BDS. (Even Norman Finkelstein knew the story on it, and I have not been one of his fans, either.)

You asked. Although I do not necessarily consider my views here to be "not liberal" or "not left" ... I just think some lefties are wrong on this issue and haven't thought it completely through.

In general, I would say my views on Israel are not all that different from that of Bernie Sanders.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/where-doe ... -israel-2/

This is one of many areas where I agree with him (even if certain "Fans" think I don't). ;)

BTW, I still think the Democratic party is still committed to the New Deal of FDR, and the Great Society of LBJ. They continue the defense of all of these programs. My personal position is Democrats these days vary from DLC/Blue Dog Dems (center right) to New Dems (center) to progressive/liberal dems (center left). I'm in the third camp. However, because I tend to be pragmatic in my views, I often find people tend to doubt my bonafides. Pragmatic means I know progressive Dems can't win everywhere, and sometimes half a loaf is better than none (in terms of program/policy accomplishments). And I'm OK with people in the party who aren't Dennis Kucinich and Bernie Sanders. ;) People like Martin O'Malley, Richard Cordray, and Kamala Harris are good enough for me. ;) Good, solid liberals, even if they don't meet some folks' ardent purity tests.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

First be careful about personal attacks we have one guy who is known to report those. I hope he doesn't see this one as I am sure he will be all over it. Unless he is a fucking hypocrite and pussy.

Second after all times you've said that I am FOS for believing the left wants to ban guns are you now admitting to that. While you claim gun rights you are still in favor of very strict regulations and the banning of many not just assault weapons......epic fail

Wrong. You are just making it up again. You don't know what I stand for, even though I'v told you many times, so you just make it up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Most of the leftists I've had any experience with in L.A. own guns. The issue is not about gun ownership. It's about any left/right/apolitical whackito in the US being able to go online and buy themselves an arsenal. Such a situation is very detrimental to public safety, as we have seen.