RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:22 pm 
Policy Wonk

House Speaker Paul Ryan is warning Republicans after Democrat Patty Schachtner defeated her Republican Opponent in a Special Election to fill a seat vacated by Republican Sheila Harsdorf after she was appointed by Governor Scott Walker to become his Secreatary of Agriculture. Harsdorf had held that seat since 2000.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pa ... mg00000009.

Harsdorf won reelection in her district in 2016 with 26% of the vote. 45 defeated HRC in the same district by 17% in 2016. Mitt Romney carried the district in 2012.

Schachter won the Special Election by 9% of the vote.

This is a solidly Republican District and the loss of this seat comes on the heels of 34-losses in local races for Republicans since the election of 45.

"I know this district fairly well. It's not my district. It's over in West Wisconsin. But typically, we've (Republicans) have held this seat. And we lost it last night," said Ryan. "So yeah, I think we should pay attention to it."

Winning the Local Elections is vital to winning the National Elections. Seems at least a few Democrats are beginning to learn that.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

Last edited by marindem on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

"I know this district fairly well. It's not my district. It's over in West Wisconsin. But typically, we've (Republicans) have held this seat. And we lost it last night," said Ryan. "So yeah, I think we should pay attention to it."

What you should do is go fuck yourself, dicknose.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:08 pm 
Policy Wonk

Ryan needs to pay attention to himself. His go along to get along with 45 is killing his party.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, Paul Ryan is excrement.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:17 am 
Board Emeritus

Trump won that district by 17 points and Harsdorf, who left to be Walker's agriculture secretary, won reelection by 26 points in 2016. Schachtner won the special election by 10 points. No wonder Scott Walker and Paul Ryan are sounding the alarm bells.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:50 am 
Policy Wonk

Governor Walker is the one that is really flipping out. He is up for re-election this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 am 
Board Emeritus

Governor Walker is the one that is really flipping out. He is up for re-election this year.

And the moronic cheesheads to the north who repeadedly put pusbags like Ryan and Walker in office and who handed Trump Wisconsin's 10 electoral votes on a plate, refer to where I live as "Ill-Annoy." :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:34 am 
Board Emeritus

"Holy Crap! The Titanic is sinking! Listen peeps, time to get busy moving those deck chairs!" -- Paul Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:47 am 
Policy Wonk

The loss of this once "Safe Seat", shows the weakening of the influence of the Republican in Wisconsin. Ryan has reason to be scared. There is RWNJ getting ready challenge Ryan in his district. Ryan's Leadership is questionable at best and he would rather suck up to 45 than stand up to him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:55 am 
Board Emeritus

There was also a 25 point shift in a RW assembly district. This is why you have to compete in every race, and fund every race.

So why are Trump and Pence both planning trips to Pennsylvania to campaign in a special house race that the Democrats are barely funding? Why is it so hard for national Democratic leadership to stop writing off elections? These Democratic voters are crucial to statewide elections.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:59 am 
Board Emeritus

Beware Paul & GOP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

This is why you have to compete in every race, and fund every race.

I agree, however, this is a world in which we have limited resources.

I'm all for the 50 state strategy. Howard Dean is da man. And we need to compete on the state as well as federal level, or ... to borrow your phrase, when the state legislatures redistrict, we are cutting off our nose to spite our face, as far as federal control.

Only thing I would say is, given limited resources, we should put more funding in places where we have a 50% chance to win than places where he have a 5% chance to win.

That's just being rational. But I agree, we should try and compete everywhere, and not "abandon" anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm all for the 50 state strategy. Howard Dean is da man. And we need to compete on the state as well as federal level, or ... to borrow your phrase, when the state legislatures redistrict, we are cutting off our nose to spite our face, as far as federal control.

Only thing I would say is, given limited resources, we should put more funding in places where we have a 50% chance to win than places where he have a 5% chance to win.

That's just being rational. But I agree, we should try and compete everywhere, and not "abandon" anywhere.

Democrats have held their own in fundraising and crushed Trump as I recall.

This is the way to grow the party and the donor base. It is the only way to win. We should not be writing off anything. Rural ad. buys are cheaper by far anyway. I expect now that the GOP has ramped up in PA the Dems will too. But if we had been ramped up already, in a special election, we could have a lead by now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:41 pm 
Policy Wonk

No matter what Tom Perez says, the "50-State Strategy" does in fact work.

Barack Obama proved it. Establishment Democrats abandoned it. Challenge Republicans in every state, do not take certain states for granted. Fight for every seat, that is how you win.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

No matter what Tom Perez says, the "50-State Strategy" does in fact work.

Barack Obama proved it. Establishment Democrats abandoned it. Challenge Republicans in every state, do not take certain states for granted. Fight for every seat, that is how you win.
Every article read a the same every year. Democrats late to the party, or they don't even attend.

By the way, I don't think it is any coincidence that the Democratic Challenger in Pennsylvania has said he would not support Nancy Pelosi as house speaker. As I complained about before, she should not be consolidating power, when her name alone is a campaign slogan in districts like this. She controls the money and whether or not to fund people who will usurp her in the House of Representatives. That's a conflict of interest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:26 pm 
Policy Wonk

Every article read a the same every year. Democrats late to the party, or they don't even attend.

By the way, I don't think it is any coincidence that the Democratic Challenger in Pennsylvania has said he would not support Nancy Pelosi as house speaker. As I complained about before, she should not be consolidating power, when her name alone is a campaign slogan in districts like this. She controls the money and whether or not to fund people who will usurp her in the House of Representatives. That's a conflict of interest.

Hey Dogg, nice to see you.

I am very much afraid your right. Pelosi is a divisive factor. She right up there with HRC as an obession with the GOP.

I personally think that Pelosi is well past her use by date. Her hanging on to take back control of Congress is a power trip for her.

Last edited by marindem on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ooooo, I didn't know that. Will the count be any straighter than in his past elections, including the recall surprise?

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Impressive numbers looks like those 1,000 seats we lost are going to be an afterthought we're on the rise.

SC #HD99: D+13.08%
WI #AD58: D+24.90%
WI #SD10: D+27.52%
IA #HD06: D+20.44%

That is an average Dem over performance tonight of D+21.49%

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:04 am 
Board Emeritus

Hey Dogg, nice to see you.

I am very much afraid your right. Pelosi is a divisive factor. She right up there with HRC as an obession with the GOP.

I personally think that Pelosi is well past her use by date. Her hanging on to take back control of Congress is a power trip for her.

I like to think the best of Democrats, but between the Congresional Hispanic caucus seemingly trying to scuttle a DACA deal, and the articles about the PA race, I'm struggling.

As I said in my thread on the topic of Pelosi, I don't have anything against Pelosi. But she has done nothing but lose, and she is a political liability. Not surprisingly, the Republican PA candidate was quoted all over as saying "We don't need another rubber stamp for Pelosi" regarding his Democratic opponent.

So Pelosi has a history of losing, she is a political liability in rural districts, and when someone tries to distance themselves from her, it appears the DCCC (run by Pelosi) then withholds money. I was proceeding under the theory she was just a victim of circumstance, and a general inability to connect with middle America. Now I suspect she is actually sabotaging moderate candidates trying to distance themselves from her. I wonder how many other under-funded elections involved candidates who said they would not support her as speaker?

Last edited by J_dogg82 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:40 am 
Board Emeritus

Ben Ray Lujan runs the DCCC. Not Hillary, Nancy, Debbie, or anybody else.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ben Ray Lujan runs the DCCC. Not Hillary, Nancy, Debbie, or anybody else.

The Washington Post disagrees with you. You know that. We had this same exchange before.

Quote:
After three decades in Congress, Pelosi, 77, makes an unlikely general to lead the troops into another change election. Her party, deemed elite and out of touch in 2016, is struggling to win back Midwestern working-class voters, and anger at Washington’s entrenched leaders is pretty much the only thing that unites the country.

But rather than shrink from the spotlight, Pelosi is once again in control — her party’s top fundraiser, senior midterm-election strategist and top legislative negotiator, in partnership with Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 0cb8b51dda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

Factual reality agrees with me.

https://dccc.org/about/

REP. BEN RAY LUJÁN, DCCC CHAIRMAN
Representative Ben Ray Luján (D–NM) is the Chairman of DCCC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Factual reality agrees with me.

https://dccc.org/about/

REP. BEN RAY LUJÁN, DCCC CHAIRMAN
Representative Ben Ray Luján (D–NM) is the Chairman of DCCC

Nobody is suggesting that he is not the chairman. What I am suggesting is exactly what everyone knows, and that is that Nancy Pelosi, as the chief fundraiser, chief election strategist, and chief legislative strategist, is in charge.

I would love to see a split between the DCCC chair and the chief election strategist. However, I'm not aware of any such split being reported. You can cite rank. However, the WaPo says that Pelosi's strategy is the one guiding decisions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah. Now we both know that just because he and Pelosi agree on strategy (*), does not mean he is making his decision on which candidates to support, based on whether or not they would vote for her as minority leader/speaker.

It's a fine speculation. Got any evidence, counselor?

P.S. this does not mean I don't disagree with some of Lujan's decisions. I agree with you they should have put some funding into the PA race you mentioned. Just your framing of them.

My guess is the main thing, shockingly enough, that both the DCCC and DSCC do in looking at candidates is electability, electability, electability, in that order. Now, to be clear, I'm not saying they are not often wrong in making these judgements. But that's what they care about.

(*) I would hope that in general, the DCCC head and Minority Leader agree somewhat on strategy. They're supposed to, otherwise the party is pretty dysfunctional.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah. Now we both know that just because he and Pelosi agree on strategy (*), does not mean he is making his decision on which candidates to support, based on whether or not they would vote for her as minority leader/speaker.

It's a fine speculation. Got any evidence, counselor?

P.S. this does not mean I don't disagree with some of Lujan's decisions. I agree with you they should have put some funding into the PA race you mentioned. Just your framing of them.

My guess is the main thing, shockingly enough, that both the DCCC and DSCC do in looking at candidates is electability, electability, electability, in that order. Now, to be clear, I'm not saying they are not often wrong in making these judgements. But that's what they care about.

(*) I would hope that in general, the DCCC head and Minority Leader agree somewhat on strategy. They're supposed to, otherwise the party is pretty dysfunctional.

Well they fire the people who disagree.

As I and many others have stated, electability should not be the consideration. The Democrats have to realize that winning the big races, means fighting in all of the small ones. I earned my undergrad way back in 2007. We were talking about ALEC then. We were talking about how the Republicans were recruiting and training candidates all the way down to Local School Board way back then. This isn't new. This is a ridiculously an absurdly entrenched Democratic Leadership that even in your mind continues to focus on winning every race they fund.

You cannot abandon Democrats in reddish districts, without depressing Democratic support there. You certainly can't rally troops that you haven't maintained when all of a sudden you find yourself in contention. The Republicans know this. That's why they won a thousand seats during Obama's administration.

It is a fundamental misunderstanding of politics no matter who you want to give the final buck to.