Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: KY school shooting
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

We just had school shooting #14 or whatever it's up to. This time it's in L.A.. A 12 year old female pulled a gun in class, shot a male (in critical condition), wounded 3-4 others. In custody. The school is a middle school on the same campus as Belmont High, downtown in an almost 100% Latin@ area.

Thoughts and prayers.

Yada, yada, yada.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:18 pm 
Policy Wonk

another workplace shooting as well

Police: Former trucking employee kills two workers in Taylor, Pontiac

Quote:
Authorities say a former trucking company employee fatally shot two workers at separate metro Detroit businesses before being wounded by responding officers.

Taylor Police Chief John Blair tells WDIV-TV that the suspect walked into BSD Linehaul in Taylor at about 10:30 a.m. Thursday and fired shots from what is believed to have been an assault rifle.

Blair says the suspect then ran outside and carjacked a semi-trailer.

Another person was killed about 30 miles away at a business in Pontiac.

The suspect was later shot by police in Waterford, near Pontiac. He was being treated at a hospital.

Blair says the suspect was let go by the trucking company in November and described him as "a disgruntled employee" who "came back for some sort of vengeance."............

the assault rifle and ammo clips shown here
Taylor fatal shooting suspect arrested in Oakland County after stealing semi truck at gunpoint

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Perhaps it's not about school administration, Sam. Perhaps it's about American parents creating predatory children, and American parents who's gun locker is available to their victimized ousider children, while they are not. Perhaps it's about American parents who don't have a clue their children are outsiders. And perhaps if they know, they aren't doing jack shit to help them outside of trying to bully them out of being outsiders.

Perhaps it's on fucking American parents. All of it.

++++++++++

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now 22 years ago. Less than a year after Dumblane Parliament banned possession of all handguns. After the one and only school shooting in the United Kingdom handguns are banned. Now, 22 years later the US firearms homicide rate per capita is 40 times the rate in the UK. In the 22 years since the single school shooting in UK history, there have been 231 school shootings in the USA.

Somebody just try and tell me how this country isn't a shithole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now they're saying the 12-year-old had taken the gun to school to show off to the other kids, and "it went off accidentally, honest it did."

I suspect that Mom and Dad will be answering quite a few questions.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Apparently, the gun in L.A. really did go off by accident. The 12 year old girl brought it to school to be cool, and it was in her backpack. Not the brightest bulb on the string, apparently. When I was 12 I'd already been drilled on firearm safety, but of course I'm a guy.

Now, a randomly fired bullet can go just about anywhere, but this one happened to hit one boy in the head and another student in the wrist.

The gun had no registration. This being L.A., I suspect stolen or bought out the back of a car, or both.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:35 pm 

Quote:
Perhaps it's on fucking American parents. All of it.

Ya know Ike Bana, some loud mouthed daughter of a dog who thought she was entitled to be president said it takes a village to raise a child.

Up until a little while ago I thought that was a liberal position. Now I find your liberal position is remarkably like the Kochservative position.

But we both know that when you say parent, you mean mother.

Per$onally, I blame your profe$$ion, for all kind$ of reason$, the lea$t of which i$ all of you are adult$, not true of all parents.

I am not sure how a twelve year old got hold of a gun, or why her mother didnt check her bag before she went to school like all good mothers should, but if the kid is old enough to have a baby she should be old enough to pack some heat. lord knows its the only form of birth control you can find in KY.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 am 
Policy Wonk

Is Donald Trump smarter than a second-grader? Don’t ask

Quote:
This is about a question Donald Trump failed to answer.

Granted, there are a lot of those, but this was a particularly tough one. Indeed, it was likely more difficult in its way than anything April Ryan or Lester Holt has ever asked him. But then, they’re only adults. Ava Rose Olsen is 7 years old.

As anyone who has experience with human beings of that age can attest, no one asks more pointed questions. And the one she posed in a letter to Trump last August was a whopper:

“I hate guns,” she explained in her little girl’s scrawl. “One ruined my life and took my best friend. I don’t want that to ever happen again. Are you going to keep kids safe? How can you keep us safe?”

The best friend she refers to is — was — 6-year old Jacob Hall, who was shot in September 2016 on the playground of Townville Elementary School in South Carolina. Police say his assailant was a 14-year old boy who took his father’s handgun from a nightstand, shot the man in the head, then drove to the school and opened fire, screaming, “I hate my life.”

Two others were also hit, but survived. Jacob suffered massive blood loss and died three days later. He was buried in a Batman costume. He loved superheroes.

And Ava loved Jacob. In fact, she had already told her mother that, someday, she was going to marry him. She was on that playground the day he was shot. What she saw traumatized her.

In the days and weeks afterward, Ava took to pulling out her eyelashes and hitting herself. She clawed at her own skin. And she began repeating the shooter’s words. “I hate my life,” she said.

A doctor diagnosed Ava with post-traumatic stress disorder, and her parents took her out of Townville Elementary. She’s home schooled now.

Think of that. This is now a country where even 7-year olds have PTSD.

We are indebted to the Washington Post for its reportage on all this. This week, it published the letter Trump sent Ava just before Christmas. In it, he praised her bravery, offered his prayers, said the safety of children is his goal as president.

He said a lot of things, but he didn’t answer her question, didn’t say how he would keep her safe. Ava noticed. Last month, she sent a follow-up. In it, she thanked Trump for his prayers and offered some security ideas of her own.

One was to “move the schools to a safer area.” Another was to “have people around to make sure that nobody can hurt us.” Still another was to build school campuses in circular shapes with playgrounds in the middle, inaccessible from the street.

“Somehow,” she pleaded, “help people to understand what happens to kids like me who have seen and heard what happens when a gun hurts someone.”..............

more at link

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:00 am 
Board Emeritus

Ike, you have far more experience than I do. You have far more knowledge than I do. I know that 15 year olds should know not to do that. Yet we see people far older than that whose brain’s are fully developed still do stupid, irrational things. And they do them because humans are irrational. Immature children are irrational as well. Even when they know they shouldn’t do something.

Thoughtful post. Here's my response. You say "...15 year olds should know not to do that. " I believe 15 year olds know what's OK to do and what's not OK to do. It's not a problem with lack of knowledge. It's a problem with lack of impulse control. Now...plenty of my MH colleagues will say "right Ike...that's why we can't charge minors as adults...it's because of their poor impulse control."

My answer to that is that basically children don't have any more of a problem with impulse control than adults. Some children and adults have more of a problem with impulse control than other children and adults. The vast majority of kids who have a rough time in our educational system know not to go into mom's closet, get a gun, take it to school and shoot people who have never done a fucking thing to them. The one's who perpetrate such acts are just the one's who are pissed off and decide it's time for payback. The vast majority of adults who are having a rough go of it don't go buy a gun, get a room at a Vegas hotel and murder 58 people from their hotel room window...just the ones who are pissed off and decide it's time for payback.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 am 
Board Emeritus

Ya know Ike Bana, some loud mouthed daughter of a dog who thought she was entitled to be president said it takes a village to raise a child.

Up until a little while ago I thought that was a liberal position. Now I find your liberal position is remarkably like the Kochservative position.

But we both know that when you say parent, you mean mother.

Per$onally, I blame your profe$$ion, for all kind$ of reason$, the lea$t of which i$ all of you are adult$, not true of all parents.

I am not sure how a twelve year old got hold of a gun, or why her mother didnt check her bag before she went to school like all good mothers should, but if the kid is old enough to have a baby she should be old enough to pack some heat. lord knows its the only form of birth control you can find in KY.

I know why a parent leaves a gun laying around. Because nobody's gonna tell that parent what they can and cannot do with their gun.

Meantime, you don't know jack shit about me. What you do know is you don't want to put your words in my mouth. I say what I mean and I mean what I fucking say. When I say "parent", I mean "parent." Don't play some bullshit feminist game with me...you're no more a feminist than I am.

So you go ahead and blame the mental health profession. I choose to blame the Schwarze Pädagogik. The problems of mankind are the problems of parents. Don't like it? Who gives a shit what you like or don't like.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:15 am 
Board Emeritus

Apparently, the gun in L.A. really did go off by accident. The 12 year old girl brought it to school to be cool, and it was in her backpack. Not the brightest bulb on the string, apparently. When I was 12 I'd already been drilled on firearm safety, but of course I'm a guy.

Now, a randomly fired bullet can go just about anywhere, but this one happened to hit one boy in the head and another student in the wrist.

The gun had no registration. This being L.A., I suspect stolen or bought out the back of a car, or both.

And the parent should be charged and if convicted, to to prison.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

This thing is really murky. The story changes weekly.

With some trepidation, and mostly only as an attempt to maintain something even faintly resembling accuracy, I'll pass along the latest one:

The parents haven't the slightest idea where she got the gun.

No one seems to know where she got the gun.

Presumably she knows, and presumably she isn't telling. (This is where the story kind of falls apart.)

The gun was in the backpack, but it didn't just decide to go off. She had her hand in the backpack. This is also murky. Maybe happiness is a warm gun. It was something like that. She was communing with her gun, and it "accidentally" went off.

????!?!?!?!????

They'll want to sell me the Vincent Thomas Bridge next. I'm holding out for the one in Brooklyn, though.

--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

This thing is really murky. The story changes weekly.

With some trepidation, and mostly only as an attempt to maintain something even faintly resembling accuracy, I'll pass along the latest one:

The parents haven't the slightest idea where she got the gun.

No one seems to know where she got the gun.

Presumably she knows, and presumably she isn't telling. (This is where the story kind of falls apart.)

The gun was in the backpack, but it didn't just decide to go off. She had her hand in the backpack. This is also murky. Maybe happiness is a warm gun. It was something like that. She was communing with her gun, and it "accidentally" went off.

????!?!?!?!????

They'll want to sell me the Vincent Thomas Bridge next. I'm holding out for the one in Brooklyn, though.

It ain't the act, it's the cover-up. Nobody knows nothing. Bullshit.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Perhaps since she's 12 she's too young to know she's responsible not to lie to the authorities. Eh...no problem... she's only 12...she can cause an innocent classmate walking down the hall in school to end up shot in the head and then lie about it. And go out for a milkshake.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Next they'll say that the girl had a companionship gun for emotional support, since they wouldn't let her bring a dog.

--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:28 am 
Policy Wonk

Gunmaker Remington says it will file for bankruptcy

Quote:
- Remington, one of the oldest and most well-known gun companies in the world, plans to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

The plan would allow Remington Outdoor Company to stay in business while restructuring its debt. The plan allows for Remington to reduce its debt by $700 million and contributes $145 million of new capital into its subsidiaries, according to the company.

Remington said in a statement that its operations "will not be disrupted by the restructuring process."

"Payments to trade partners, employee wages and other benefits, support for customers, and an ongoing high level of service to consumers will continue without interruption," it said.

Remington is owned by the private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management. Cerberus will give up that ownership once restructuring is complete, a spokesman said Monday.

Remington, which is headquartered in North Carolina and has a sprawling factory in Ilion, New York, has faced legal trouble in recent years.

The company settled a class action lawsuit regarding allegations of defective rifles a few years ago. It has also been sued because of the mass shooting in 2012 at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn. The company produces the Bushmaster rifle used in that shooting...................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerberus_Capital_Management