Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: KY school shooting
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

One known dead, shooter in custody. Unknown number wounded. NFD.

Major twitter fubar in progress. People (or bots) who can't spell "Chicago" are saying gun control doesn't work because that city has the highest murder rate despite tough laws. As always, no one told (or programmed) them about how the guns are purchased in Indiana.

I didn't even log in.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

Post subject: Re: KY school shooting
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Major twitter fubar in progress. People (or bots) who can't spell "Chicago" are saying gun control doesn't work because that city has the highest murder rate despite tough laws. As always, no one told (or programmed) them about how the guns are purchased in Indiana.

I didn't even log in.

Unfortunately, it's the beginning of the season for school shootings. It seems every year, just after the holidays until the end of the school year school shootings happen. Expect to read at least one or two school shooting per week.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thoughts and prayers

Lather, rinse, repeat.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

I didn't even log in.

In Forbes, 10 most dangerous American cities 2017, Chicago didn't make the list. In WSJ 2017 most dangerous 25 list, it's not even the most dangerous city in Illinois.

Why is Trump always bleating about Chicago? Because the mayor is one of Obama's pals.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

Alleged shooter 15-year-old boy

Quote:
A 15-year-old male student was arrested at the scene and will be charged with murder and attempted murder, Bevin said.

The slain victims were a boy and a girl, both 15 years old. The girl died at the scene and the boy died at a hospital, State Police Commissioner Richard W. Sanders said. The conditions of the injured students were not immediately known.

Sanders said the suspect, armed with a handgun, walked into the school at 8:57 a.m. ET and started shooting.............

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Unfortunately, it's the beginning of the season for school shootings. It seems every year, just after the holidays until the end of the school year school shootings happen. Expect to read at least one or two school shooting per week.

Be cool when the public schools start handing out calendars and a day is circled for the kids. "This is the beginning of school shooting season! Remember your bulletproof backpack!"

[sarcasm tag, if needed]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Be cool when the public schools start handing out calendars and a day is circled for the kids. "This is the beginning of school shooting season! Remember your bulletproof backpack!"

[sarcasm tag, if needed]

Circling the date on a calendar reminds me of Steve Martin's movie L.A. Story.
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:38 am 
Board Emeritus

I usually wait for the news to develop for a few hours and then look up a local source for these stories.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/arti ... 04979.html

This is what I saw which stood out:

"Sanders said Marshall students did exactly as they were trained."

"State police had recently shown students how to respond in an active-shooter case, Sanders said."

Then later in the article:

"In November, the Marshall County Sheriff’s Office hosted an active-shooter training session, according to WPSD. The deputy who arrested the shooting suspect Tuesday made use of that training."

"At the time of the training, Sheriff Kevin Byers said, “We cannot take the attitude it will never happen here, because just like 20 years ago, it’s never gonna happen here, and look at what happened at Heath High School. … It can happen here.”"

The reason that stood out to me is it's something different, and that training is being credited as having been useful.

One boy with one handgun was able to hit 16 students, at least one of them more than once. He was able to shoot all of his bullets, then leave. Yet that training is credited as having been helpful and useful.

I'm wondering if that training wasn't like a seed planted in a young mind which grew. Might have caused him to think about it until he decided to do it.

I'm wondering if that training didn't help train that boy to be a more effective shooter too. Taught him how his victims would respond, where they were supposed to run to, how and where they were supposed to hide.

I don't know how many shots he fired but his hit to miss ratio is pretty astounding even if he fired off 50 shots. He clearly caught the other students where they had some difficulty getting away from him so he could keep firing at them, and keep hitting them until he ran out of bullets.

I'm quite certain that training will be credited as having been useful for years to come, and folks will take that as the final word, and want to do more of that training everywhere because ... well just because. It doesn't help to say most people are kind of stupid. :|

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:50 am 
Board Emeritus

Where was he radicalized?

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:07 am 
Board Emeritus

Perhaps at school, on the playground where the school administration thought boys ought to be allowed to be boys, where nothing was ever done about those bullies with their in-crowd gangs inflicting a reign of terror on those out-crowd loner students.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:13 am 
Board Emeritus

Circling the date on a calendar reminds me of Steve Martin's movie L.A. Story.

Jokes aside, isn't the fact that school shootings are now so regular and predictable they have a season we can demarcate like the regular semester :( :cry: ... fuck it, maybe Ike is right.

Looks like in this country, we just have to sit back and enjoy (all ironies intended) the regularly scheduled carnage. :evil:

Because nobody's going to do anything about it, lest they anger the kommissars of the National Russian Association.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:04 am 
Board Emeritus

Where did the gun come from? If it came from mom and dad they should be going to prison as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:12 am 
Board Emeritus

Perhaps at school, on the playground where the school administration thought boys ought to be allowed to be boys, where nothing was ever done about those bullies with their in-crowd gangs inflicting a reign of terror on those out-crowd loner students.

Perhaps it's not about school administration, Sam. Perhaps it's about American parents creating predatory children, and American parents who's gun locker is available to their victimized ousider children, while they are not. Perhaps it's about American parents who don't have a clue their children are outsiders. And perhaps if they know, they aren't doing jack shit to help them outside of trying to bully them out of being outsiders.

Perhaps it's on fucking American parents. All of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Jokes aside, isn't the fact that school shootings are now so regular and predictable they have a season we can demarcate like the regular semester :( :cry: ... fuck it, maybe Ike is right.

Looks like in this country, we just have to sit back and enjoy (all ironies intended) the regularly scheduled carnage. :evil:

Because nobody's going to do anything about it, lest they anger the kommissars of the National Russian Association.[/quote
One of the ways people deal with things like shootings and disasters is to make jokes. It's a coping mechanism to deal with an unpleasant situation.

The saddest thing is this is no longer a rare occurrence but now a normal part of our lives and because of that we are no longer shocked when it happens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

20 years ago, another Kentucky school was attacked

Quote:
.........Authorities have not provided a possible motive.

Pouring out of the school, some panic-stricken students sought shelter at a nearby auto body shop.

Jeff DeFew, whose family owns the shop, said he was still processing what happened hours later.

"We're going to have to figure out something to keep our kids safe," he said, recalling the West Paducah shooting........

gone away from basic fairness and justice in our dealings with each other publicly due to administrative policy and lawmakers leaving less avenues and recourse to solve issues fairly or justly that could otherwise defuse some of these situations, or earlier or compounded situations leading to these type outcomes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:58 am 
Board Emeritus

20 years ago, another Kentucky school was attacked

gone away from basic fairness and justice in our dealings with each other publicly due to administrative policy and lawmakers leaving less avenues and recourse to solve issues fairly or justly that could otherwise defuse some of these situations, or earlier or compounded situations leading to these type outcomes.

About 40 years ago my high school was attacked. I was two years into college at the time, so I wasn't there. Shots were fired but no one was killed or more that just slightly injured. The roof had some holes in it though they had to patch.

I knew the attacker. When I was a senior I was the cadet commander of the Junior Air Force ROTC unit there. We had an instructor who was a retired Air Force Colonel who oversaw our unit. On about the third day of the semester our Colonel pointed our one of the freshmen cadets in the unit and said to me pass the word, watch over that that one. Then he explained that the student was a loner, an odd ball, and he was being picked on as an outsider by the school's in crowd. That was true, that poor kid was on the bottom rung. The way he was being treated by the other students in the school was dreadful.

The Colonel went on to explain that if we could get him through high school intact that he would be a good addition to the Air Force because he was one those who would stay with the Air Force as a noncom for life. He was a bit like Will Stockade from no time for Sergeants but not as witty or handsome.

So what I was to do was make sure that no one in our unit picked on him. That he was to be included in our activities and made to feel that he was one of us. And when in the school or in town after school if we saw someone picking on him we were to back him up and support him, he was one of ours, one of us.

We did that, and things were going fine, he was maturing at his pace and was happy in school for the first time in his life.

I graduated at the end of the year and went away. The following year at the end of the year the Air Force discontinued the program and that ROTC unit was gone.

This kid was a Junior that fall and his social support network had been ripped out from under him. Early in the spring he snapped and that shooting happened. The high school principal talked him down before he had done anything completely unforgivable. Although the stand off lasted most of a day.

As I understand it our Colonel was still living in town and he and the high school principal pulled strings and did what they could for him. He was sent to a special Juvenal school somewhere, and he eventually did get into in the Air Force. But I don't know how things worked out for him after that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

School shootings have become routine. You don't even hear about the ones that don't leave the floor littered with the dead and wounded.

We've had 11 this year.

Yes, I realize that "this year" means 25 days. That's kind of the point.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

The 15 year old shooter has been charged with murder. Indications are he will be tried in adult court. And when will the shooter's mother be charged?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

The 15 year old shooter has been charged with murder. Indications are he will be tried in adult court. And when will the shooter's mother be charged?

Of course he will be charged as an adult. And a 15 year old girl is incapable of making decisions about having sex with her 18 or 19 year old boyfriend. The teenage brain is incompletely developed, period. Add in the social morass that is high school as well as much of society and why are we surprised at the end result.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's a good reason for adult parents with teenage brains lurking around their home keeping their guns locked away and secure, so those teenage brains can't get their hands on them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Of course he will be charged as an adult. And a 15 year old girl is incapable of making decisions about having sex with her 18 or 19 year old boyfriend. The teenage brain is incompletely developed, period. Add in the social morass that is high school as well as much of society and why are we surprised at the end result.

A 15 year old non-psychotic brain knows it's not OK to go get mom's gun out of the closet, and take it to school with the intent to kill somebody he feels has been mean to him.

I've had plenty of pre-adolescent clients with oppositional/defiant disorder. And pretty much every time one of them has embarked on a pattern of misbehavior...they know the way they intend on behaving is wrong. And they do it anyway...just like misbehaving adults.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

Ike Bana wrote:

A 15 year old non-psychotic brain knows it's not OK to go get mom's gun out of the closet, and take it to school with the intent to kill somebody he feels has been mean to him.

I've had plenty of pre-adolescent clients with oppositional/defiant disorder. And pretty much every time one of them has embarked on a pattern of misbehavior...they know the way they intend on behaving is wrong. And they do it anyway...just like misbehaving adults.

what they know is limited to life experience which isn't as much as an adult.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ike, you have far more experience than I do. You have far more knowledge than I do. I know that 15 year olds should know not to do that. Yet we see people far older than that whose brain’s are fully developed still do stupid, irrational things. And they do them because humans are irrational. Immature children are irrational as well. Even when they know they shouldn’t do something.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:19 pm 
Policy Wonk

Ike, you have far more experience than I do. You have far more knowledge than I do. I know that 15 year olds should know not to do that. Yet we see people far older than that whose brain’s are fully developed still do stupid, irrational things. And they do them because humans are irrational. Immature children are irrational as well. Even when they know they shouldn’t do something.

they are irrational with far fewer cards in their deck to play from.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

We just had school shooting #14 or whatever it's up to. This time it's in L.A.. A 12 year old female pulled a gun in class, shot a male (in critical condition), wounded 3-4 others. In custody. The school is a middle school on the same campus as Belmont High, downtown in an almost 100% Latin@ area.

--"Wag the Dog"