RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

Freakin' about time...

R. Kelly no longer part of planned concert lineup at UIC Pavilion: Ticketmaster - Chicago Tribune

Nasty pimp.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Chutzpah of These Men - Editorial board of the NYT

Quote:
One week later, more than two dozen additional sexual harassment accusers came forward against Mr. Rose in a follow-up article in The Post, in which it was also reported that CBS, his employer, had been aware of allegations against him starting more than 30 years ago.

If Mr. Batali and Mr. Rose knew about these allegations, it would point to a stunning audacity to even consider career advancement.

This is all the more striking when you consider the personal and professional repercussions faced by female victims of workplace sexual harassment. If they complain to their bosses, they might be pushed out or sidelined, and their confidence, not to mention their physical and mental health, is often destroyed.

Though the past seven months have ushered in an enormous shift in how society responds to episodes of sexual misconduct, these sagas show how much work remains. Outing individual bad apples is critical, but as long as those bad apples continue to take up space while the women they harmed suffer additional indignities for their bravery in coming forward, the work of the #MeToo movement will not be done.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yo glen, it's Gloria Allred on the Nooz, better watch only ball games today!

Media vans lined up for a block at Wilshire and Crescent Heights. It's a presser! She's doing the U$C gynecology-as-groping scandal. Live on Channel 4 a couple of hours back.

The scandals at U$C just keep on coming. I guess this happens when senior staff members are judged by how much money they can bring in. If it's a lot, then wink wink.

http://abc7.com/faculty-call-on-usc-pre ... l/3507840/

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (KABC) --
Two hundred faculty members on Tuesday called for USC's president to resign amid mounting accusations that a former campus gynecologist engaged in sexual misconduct against student patients.

And here's the part that poor glen won't like:

Quote:
At a press conference on Tuesday, attorney Gloria Allred read the statement of a former student, who asked to remain anonymous and said she reported her allegations of inappropriate behavior in 1991. She said the victim reported it to several people but it was not addressed by USC, and a year later when she tried to make an appointment at the health clinic, Tyndall was the doctor assigned when she made an appointment.

Plaintiff Daniella Mohazab also spoke, describing in detail her visit with Tyndall in 2016 when he allegedly made suggestive and sexually inappropriate behavior toward her.

"It is time for USC to conduct an independent investigation," Allred said. "We will not stop until the truth is known."

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yo glen, it's Gloria Allred on the Nooz, better watch only ball games today!

Media vans lined up for a block at Wilshire and Crescent Heights. It's a presser! She's doing the U$C gynecology-as-groping scandal. Live on Channel 4 a couple of hours back.

The scandals at U$C just keep on coming. I guess this happens when senior staff members are judged by how much money they can bring in. If it's a lot, then wink wink.

http://abc7.com/faculty-call-on-usc-pre ... l/3507840/

And here's the part that poor glen won't like:

Thought of you when I saw this today coming through my feed. I know a couple signatories on it. And glad Allred is involved.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:42 am 
Board Emeritus

So once again many men do get falsely accused and once they are there is pretty much no way to defend themselves from the accusations.

And leave it to you to make an argument regarding the alleged plethora of false accusations, when the discussion is about what we know is a massive historical victimization of women in this patriarchal culture.

Years ago I was accused of harassment and workplace hostility...subsequently completely cleared by the female head of HR. It was a difficult time. Do you hear me whining about the "many men...falsely accused"? You do not. Because in the great balance of things, on the great continuum of things...its bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thought of you when I saw this today coming through my feed. I know a couple signatories on it. And glad Allred is involved.

Feed? What do you use for that? I dont have a "feed" :rw)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:06 pm 
Policy Wonk

I remember the thread. It was another one he was using to troll everyone. Here it is.

If you search "Schultz restraining order" for posts from glenfs, you'll see how he was going to various threads using this as an excuse for GOP actions.

glenfs posting links from freerepuke...
HMMMMM
Now we all need a restraining order from glenfs

Why would someone born in Hawaii have a CT SSI number?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

This is also a great one for "bye," except...

Southern Baptist Leader Who Said Abused Women Should Just Pray Is Removed From Post - Yahoo News

Quote:
A prominent Southern Baptist Church leader who is known to have made inappropriate comments about abuse and women’s bodies was removed from his position early Wednesday after thousands of evangelical women signed a petition calling for his ouster.

Paige Patterson, formerly the head of the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas, was demoted to president emeritus of the church after a 13-hour board meeting on Tuesday, according to a statement.

He will receive compensation for the position. The statement didn’t refer specifically to his comments about women, but said the discussion about the new leadership direction focused on “challenges facing the institution, including those of enrollment, financial, leadership and institutional identity.”

Dr. D. Jeffrey Bingham, dean of the School of Theology, was appointed as interim president. He currently serves as the vice president of the North American Patristics Society.

More than 3,200 women affiliated with Southern Baptist churches and beyond signed a petition calling for “decisive action” this month.

“We are shocked by the video that has surfaced showing Dr. Paige Patterson objectify a teenage girl and then suggest this as behavior that is biblical,” the letter says.

Members of one of the biggest organized viper pits of sexism and misogyny in the country are shocked by the video...and he's still gettin' paid, and a president emeritus of the SBC. Alrighty, then.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

USC President Max Nikias should resign - LAT editorial board

Quote:
Almost a year after the shocking revelation that the dean of the medical school was doing drugs and partying with young criminals and addicts — and a week after the revelation that a gynecologist at the student health clinic had been repeatedly accused over several decades of making sexual comments and touching young patients inappropriately — it has become increasingly clear that Nikias is not the proper person to lead the university out of this mire. He has failed to respond forcefully or appropriately to these crises on his watch.

In the cases of both Carmen Puliafito, the medical school dean, and George Tyndall, the gynecologist, Nikias and top administrators had the opportunity to confront the misconduct head-on in a public and transparent fashion. They could have used these troubling cases to demonstrate their commitment to protecting students and patients. They could have sent a message that misconduct would not be tolerated.

Like leaders of the Catholic Church and many other institutions that have faced reputational scandals, Nikias has responded to crisis by trying to protect his brand first — rather than the at-risk members of his community. Hilary Schor, a professor of English who co-wrote this week's letter from the faculty, said Tuesday: "The tone for the university counsel's office, for the Department of Equity and Diversity, for department chairs and provosts is set by the president. The tone here has been cover up, conceal, deny, settle."

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

A relative teaches there. I'll have to ask if she signed. She's in the English department, so it's a good bet.

The U$C scandals are coming thick and fast, and it's not just football recruiting any more. The medical people seem to be the worst. As you mention, the head of the whole Keck School of Medicine was doing drugs he prescribed for himself, and throwing sex parties. Response from the omnipotent trustees: "He raises a lot of money for the university, don't make waves. We're a private school. This isn't (pause for effect, followed by derisive tone) UCLA."

The gynecologist at the student health center was doing procedures that were definitely not in the manual. He seemed to like Asian women the best. Nice little body you got there. Yuck.

I read that editorial. Agreed. The response was and is "don't hurt our fund raising."

I write it U$C for good reason.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

And I dont want to hear JACK from anyone who claims to be against all this violence who in the same breath has nothing but criticism for the current, mainstream Democrats who are in reality the ONLY choice we have vs the Nazi.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

A relative teaches there. I'll have to ask if she signed. She's in the English department, so it's a good bet.

The U$C scandals are coming thick and fast, and it's not just football recruiting any more. The medical people seem to be the worst. As you mention, the head of the whole Keck School of Medicine was doing drugs he prescribed for himself, and throwing sex parties. Response from the omnipotent trustees: "He raises a lot of money for the university, don't make waves. We're a private school. This isn't (pause for effect, followed by derisive tone) UCLA."

The gynecologist at the student health center was doing procedures that were definitely not in the manual. He seemed to like Asian women the best. Nice little body you got there. Yuck.

I read that editorial. Agreed. The response was and is "don't hurt our fund raising."

I write it U$C for good reason.

Ha I love ragging on USC but that's just from being a UC person and growing up near LA. Lol I love ragging on Stanford even more, and for related reasons :lol: Poor $C.

But SC just did the right thing on something else, though, imo. This isn't #metoo but the issues of gender/sexuality/race bias in teaching evaluations and tenure is a big one.

Teaching Eval Shake-Up - IHE

Quote:
Research is reviewed in a rigorous manner, by expert peers. Yet teaching is often reviewed only or mostly by pedagogical non-experts: students. There’s also mounting evidence of bias in student evaluations of teaching, or SETs -- against female and minority instructors in particular. And teacher ratings aren’t necessarily correlated with learning outcomes.

All that was enough for the University of Southern California to do away with SETs in tenure and promotion decisions this spring. Students will still evaluate their professors, with some adjustments -- including a new focus on students’ own engagement in a course. But those ratings will not be used in high-stakes personnel decisions.

The changes took place earlier than the university expected. But study after recent study suggesting that SETs advantage faculty members of certain genders and backgrounds (namely white men) and disadvantage others was enough for Michael Quick, provost, to call it quits, effective immediately.

'I'm Done'

“He just said, ‘I’m done. I can’t continue to allow a substantial portion of the faculty to be subject to this kind of bias,” said Ginger Clark, assistant vice provost for academic and faculty affairs and director of USC’s Center for Excellence in Teaching. “We’d already been in the process of developing a peer-review model of evaluation, but we hadn’t expected to pull the Band-Aid off this fast.”

While Quick was praised on campus for his decision, the next, obvious question is how teaching will be assessed going forward. The long answer is through a renewed emphasis on teaching excellence in terms of training, evaluation and incentives.

“It’s big move. Everybody's nervous," Clark said. "But what we've found is that people are actually hungry for this kind of help with their teaching."

SETs -- one piece of the puzzle -- will continue to provide “important feedback to help faculty adjust their teaching practices, but will not be used directly as a measure in their performance review,” Clark said. The university’s evaluation instrument also was recently revised, with input from the faculty, to eliminate bias-prone questions and include more prompts about the learning experience.

Umbrella questions such as, “How would you rate your professor?” and “How would you rate this course?” -- which Clark called “popularity contest” questions -- are now out. In are questions on course design, course impact and instructional, inclusive and assessment practices. Did the assignments make sense? Do students feel they learned something?

I have lost count of my female academic friends who talk about having to read through f'ed up, gender/race based student evaluations. It's really sad when you're trying to teach somebody something and you just end up getting trolled by offline 4chan. :|

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Everything you ever heard about U$C is true. It's a perfectly good university, with some great professional schools, but it's very very establishment and everything's about money. It pretends it's selective, but it isn't if your father went there and kept giving them money when he got out and joined the family business. If he did, you're a SCion and get preferred admission. This perpetuates the L.A. version of the Old Boy Network. The more active alumni, by and large, are among the most repellent rich people you'll ever have the misfortune to be subjected to. They still do things like join men-only private clubs that normal people wouldn't have a prayer of getting into, and couldn't afford the dues anyway. The women are right out of bad 1950s sitcoms. If you aren't in the 5%, you don't rate.

I have no trouble believing that undergrad SETs would favor white males.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

bye

Harvey Weinstein set to turn himself in on sex crime charges in New York - NYDN

Quote:
Harvey Weinstein is expected to surrender to authorities Friday to face sex assault charges in connection with an attack on a student actress, the Daily News has learned.

The fallen Hollywood honcho is expected to be charged with preying on Lucia Evans, who told investigators that Weinstein forced her to perform oral sex on him in 2004, sources said.

It was not immediately clear if Weinstein will be hit with additional charges related to other victims.

His attorney Benjamin Brafman declined to comment Thursday.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

bye

USC president Max Nikias steps down amid scandal of gynecologist accused of abuse - CBS

Quote:
USC's president has agreed to step down after pressure from faculty over a scandal involving a university gynecologist accused of abusing students, the university's board of trustees said Friday. Max Nikias will leave the post immediately, a news release Friday implied, CBS Los Angeles reports.

A letter to faculty members on Friday that was obtained by The Associated Press says the school's board of trustees had "agreed to begin an orderly transition" and begin searching for a new president.

"Today, President Nikias and the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees have agreed to begin an orderly transition and commence the process of selecting a new president," USC board of trustees Chairman Rick J. Caruso wrote. "We recognize the need for change and are committed to a stable transition."

The decision comes after dozens of professors, students and alumni called for Nikias' resignation in the wake of the scandal.

From what I've read on my timeline today, the faculty senate gave a no-confidence vote late yesterday and also there's been another petition going around to full faculty members in the aftermath that called for him to step down.

Sux to be him..

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Everything you ever heard about U$C is true. It's a perfectly good university, with some great professional schools, but it's very very establishment and everything's about money.

Yeah I considered their online information school program when it first started up but at the time they didn't have financial aid, which I would need for any grad program.

But the $ thing, yeah bt;dt. Too bad access to good educational resources means having to put up with overprivileged a-holes who have never lifted a finger for themselves in their lives and have the expectation that Planet Earth owes them this because they hit some sperm/egg jackpot.

Blah.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

For the guys on here who think #metoo is about going after men who give hugs at work and getting them fired, here's where the economics of suppressing harassment and abuse/battery/etc claims starts to really play out. This is the pit of vipers people -- overwhelmingly women at the hands of men -- have to step into when even thinking about bringing a claim, which every woman in this situation already knows will just get them cast as sluts and golddiggers anyway, regardless of all the alphabet soup after their names.

USC's Nikias boosted rankings and fundraising, but at what price? - LAT opinion

Quote:
It would be a mistake to assume that the USC scandal was simply a matter of leaders at one university going rogue. In fact, it would be dangerous to think that. The departure of university President C.L. Max Nikias satisfies the call for accountability over accusations involving two USC doctors, but it does not begin to resolve a deeper affliction at the nation’s colleges and universities: the unending pressure to raise the institutions’ rankings and bring in more money.

The various college rankings are typically based heavily on fairly empty criteria. US News and World Report, which produces the best known and most closely watched rankings, heavily counts a school’s reputation among other institutions’ faculty and officials. And no matter how extraneous and silly we might find them, the rankings are inextricably linked to fundraising. Raising the rankings means happier alumni and more applicants; it means drawing more star professors, which in turn means more grant money, higher rankings, more applicants. It’s part of why colleges send ridiculous numbers of marketing mailers to high school juniors and seniors. A higher number of applicants means a lower acceptance rate, which for some reason is considered a positive sign of a school’s reputation.

Inevitably, reputation and money are at war with integrity. Things are going to go wrong at campuses, as they tend to do at large organizations. But being straightforward about a college scandal could mean sacrificing reputation, which means sacrificing rankings and applications and – you get it. That’s a big part of why colleges were routinely under-reporting cases of sexual assault and brushing accusations aside. As long as they could be kept under wraps, they couldn’t harm a school’s reputation.

When Nikias came to visit The Times editorial board soon after being named to the post, he laid out his goals quite clearly: higher rankings and better fundraising -- and he certainly got the job done on those counts. Linda Katehi said similar things after becoming chancellor at UC Davis. She’s the one who resigned after a UC investigation found that she had been involved in trying to scrub online mentions of an incident in which students were pepper-sprayed. Can’t take any chances with a school’s reputation.

More in link

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:17 am 
Board Emeritus

This is also a great one for "bye," except...

Southern Baptist Leader Who Said Abused Women Should Just Pray Is Removed From Post - Yahoo News

Members of one of the biggest organized viper pits of sexism and misogyny in the country are shocked by the video...and he's still gettin' paid, and a president emeritus of the SBC. Alrighty, then.

:wave:

Seminary board strips Paige Patterson of title and benefits in dramatic turnabout - Religion News Service

Quote:
After considering fresh evidence of an alleged rape cover-up, the board of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth voted to strip embattled former President Paige Patterson of the title and benefits it had granted him a week ago.

In a statement posted to its website Wednesday (May 30), the board of trustees took away “all the benefits, rights and privileges provided by the May 22-23 board meeting, including the title of President Emeritus, the invitation to reside at the Baptist Heritage Center as theologian-in-residence and ongoing compensation.”

His swift termination represents the most dramatic example of the #MeToo movement pervading the top reaches of the Southern Baptist Convention.

The new evidence, the statement said, related to an allegation that in 2003 Patterson, then president of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, N.C., asked a female student not to report an alleged rape to the police and to forgive her assailant.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:32 pm 
Policy Wonk

A broken idea of sex is flourishing. Blame capitalism

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:36 pm 
Policy Wonk

Bill Clinton says he does not owe Monica Lewinsky an apology in light of #MeToo movement

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Education Department Investigating USC's Handling Of Sexual Harassment Allegations - NPR

Quote:
The Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights announced Monday it is investigating the University of Southern California's handling of sexual harassment allegations against gynecologist Dr. George Tyndall. In a statement, the office said it will look into how USC handled "reports and complaints of sexual harassment during pelvic exams as early as 1990 that were not fully investigated by the University until spring 2016 and that the University did not disclose to OCR during an earlier investigation."

Tyndall is the former university gynecologist accused of sexually inappropriate behavior with students during their medical exams. The Los Angeles Police Department is now investigating 52 complaints about Tyndall, which range from unnecessary touching in the course of pelvic exams to inappropriate sexual comments.

USC faculty, alumni, staff, students, and even the Chinese consulate have been increasingly demanding accountability from the university in how it handled the case of Tyndall.

On Saturday, about two dozen University of Southern California students and alumni marched from the school's student health center to the university's main quad chanting "USC transparency." They called for help for Tyndall's alleged victims and a full accounting of USC's possible role in covering up his actions.

"We are at a breaking point," alumna Viva Symanski, who alleges Tyndall sexually abused her, said at a podium. "Things have to change. USC must change."

So gross.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://twitter.com/AngryBlackLady/stat ... 6359667713

Imani Gandy o—€

Verified account

@AngryBlackLady
Follow Follow @AngryBlackLady
More
Pay attention to people’s responses to Christine Blasey Ford’s allegations.

People tell on themselves.

Especially the “if Kavanaugh needs to worry, all men should be worried” dudes.

You have no need to worry unless you raped or tried to rape someone and then lied about it.

5:23 AM - 17 Sep 2018

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

I remember the AngryBlackLady, I like her.

I used to go to her web site sometimes but then I had that computer die, back when that meant one lost their links.

She had cancer, and that was years ago. I'm glad she survived.

Hah!

Imani Gandy o—€ @AngryBlackLady

"We should wrap up today and agree to meet back first thing tomorrow."

"Everyone go take naps."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

After a year of #MeToo, American opinion has shifted against victims - Economist

Quote:
In the first week of November 2017, YouGov polled 1,500 Americans about their attitudes on the matter, on behalf of The Economist. In the final week of September 2018, it conducted a similar poll again. When it came to questions about the consequences of sexual assault and misconduct, there was a small but clear shift against victims.

The share of American adults responding that men who sexually harassed women at work 20 years ago should keep their jobs has risen from 28% to 36%. The proportion who think that women who complain about sexual harassment cause more problems than they solve has grown from 29% to 31%. And 18% of Americans now think that false accusations of sexual assault are a bigger problem than attacks that go unreported or unpunished, compared with 13% in November last year. (According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Centre, an American non-profit organisation, 63% of sexual assaults are not reported to police, whereas between 2% and 10% of assault cases are falsely reported.)

Surprisingly, these changes in opinion against victims have been slightly stronger among women than men. Rather than breaking along gendered lines, the #MeToo divide increasingly appears to be a partisan one. On each of these three questions, the gap between Trump and Clinton voters is at least six times greater than the one between genders.

Is it surprising?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next