RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Florida Secretary of State Ken Detzner ordered recounts in three statewide elections Saturday, triggering a scramble by the state’s 67 elections departments as they pore over more than 8.2 Million combined ballots in the next five days.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politi ... 68340.html.

Detzner called for automatic machine recounts in the state’s races for U.S. Senate, governor and agricultural commissioner after receiving unofficial vote counts at noon from the elections departments overseeing Tuesday’s midterm elections. It was not a choice: Statewide contests decided by a half a percentage point or less must be reanalyzed under Florida law, and the races between Gov. Rick Scott and U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, Ron DeSantis and Andrew Gillum, and Matt Caldwell and Nikki Fried were all within razon-thin margins.

Wait for it....the sound of 45's head exploding.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:37 pm 

Meanwhile the #maga morons are parroting trump's stupidity when it comes to election laws in FL and what officials are really required to do in the case of recounts, and when UN-official results are supposed to be published, and how long they have to do full recounts by both machine, and by hand if the results become even closer. To top things off, they seem to have selective amnesia to the fact Broward is close to 70% democratic, and the results are almost perfectly in line with previous elections with most of the late counts going to the democrats, so, you know, DUH!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Meanwhile the #maga morons are parroting trump's stupidity when it comes to election laws in FL and what officials are really required to do in the case of recounts, and when UN-official results are supposed to be published, and how long they have to do full recounts by both machine, and by hand if the results become even closer. To top things off, they seem to have selective amnesia to the fact Broward is close to 70% democratic, and the results are almost perfectly in line with previous elections with most of the late counts going to the democrats, so, you know, DUH!

+++++

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Florida Voters Sue Rick Scott For Illegal Use of Power.

https://www.politicususa.com/2018/11/12 ... power.html.

The lawsuit filed by the League of Women Voters Florida and Common Cause Florida, who are representing Florida Voters states:

Being tasked with certifying the results of an election in which one is running for office poses a risk of bias under the best of circumstances. But Defendant Scott’s efforts to use the authority of his office to advance his campaign and his political party have been extreme.

His race is already close enough to be subject to a mandatory recount, and he has repeatedly threatened law enforcement intervention in the vote-counting process. As Plaintiffs League of Women Voters of Florida and Common Cause Florida explained in a demand letter on Friday, Defendant Scott has “Intentionally politicized governance of the elections by publicly threatening a show of force . . . . These actions can easily be seen as intimidation of election officials who need to remain unencumbered while they engage in their very demanding work. Defendant Scott has already misused his authority to influence and frustrate the high stakes vote-counting process, and the powers of his office give him opportunity to continue to misuse his authority".

The Plaintiffs in the case seek to Scott (Republican Candidate for Senate) to recuse himself from the elecion and to bar Scott, as Governor of Florida from using the authority of his office to interfer in the election.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

Last edited by marindem on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

hi and welcome to ya!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:22 pm 
Policy Wonk

Florida Voters Sue Rick Scott For Illegal Use of Power.

https://www.politicususa.com/2018/11/12 ... power.html.

The lawsuit filed by the League of Women Voters Florida and Common Cause Florida, who are representing Florida Voters states:

Being tasked with certifying the results of an election in which one is running for office poses a risk of bias under the best of circumstances. But Defendant Scott’s efforts to use the authority of his office to advance his campaign and his political party have been extreme.

His race is already close enough to be subject to a mandatory recount, and he has repeatedly threatened law enforcement intervention in the vote-counting process. As Plaintiffs League of Women Voters of Florida and Common Cause Florida explained in a demand letter on Friday, Defendant Scott has “Intentionally politicized governance of the elections by publicly threatening a show of force . . . . These actions can easily be seen as intimidation of election officials who need to remain unencumbered while they engage in their very demanding work. Defendant Scott has already misused his authority to influence and frustrate the high stakes vote-counting process, and the powers of his office give him opportunity to continue to misuse his authority".

The Plaintiffs in the case seek to Scott (Republican Candidate for Senate) to recuse himself from the elecion and to bar Scott, as Governor of Florida from using the authority of his office to interfer in the election.

Allright

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, this is entertaining. On MSNBC, Ari Melber is sitting in front of the building in Doral I usually vote at. (It also happens to be county elections HQ.)

I didn't this year, only because they finally made my campus an early voting location.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, this is entertaining. On MSNBC, Ari Melber is sitting in front of the building in Doral I usually vote at. (It also happens to be county elections HQ.)

I didn't this year, only because they finally made my campus an early voting location.

I wouldn't care whether I met him or not, but would like to I suppose but if it was Rachel...oh yeah

Kinda like meeting SuperWoman

I like this tweet

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/status ... 1291585536

Quote:
Donald Trump and Rick Scott appear to be more concerned when Americans get involved in our Democratic election process, than when Russians get involved in our democratic election process.

ALL LEGITIMATE VOTES COUNT!

What about that Joe, Ted and Glen, do all votes count and why are you more concerned with counting BROWN votes than red ones? (red as in the old commie red Russia thing, I guess)

Last edited by Libertas on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm half tempted to drive by and yell some rap song lyrics at him as I drive by ... see if that makes it on the show. Ah, it's too late ... show's over. :mrgreen:

Anyway, he interviewed Joe Geller ... my dad's old friend, the Brooks Brothers rioters chased Joe around the elections building in 2000 accusing him of "stealing a ballot" (it was a sample ballot he got from the clerk). :roll:

Guess who orchestrated that nonsense ... Roger Stone. :twisted:

Trevor Noah was also here in Miami last week, too. Looks like our city is getting noticed. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:26 am 
Board Emeritus

I blame lots of hot air emanating from Shit-a-Lago. :D

Palm Beach County’s voting machines overheat and force recount of more than 170,000 votes
https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news ... 31215.html

There's so much hot smelly bullshit in the air coming from Scott and deSantis, I think it could jam an office Xerox. :rw)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:58 pm 
Policy Wonk

Allright

Florida felons' restored voting rights will have national, personal impacts

Quote:
.............The amendment will have an outsize effect on the African-American population, who are arrested and incarcerated at a higher rate than any other group. More than one in five African-Americans in Florida can’t vote because of a felony conviction, according to estimates by the Sentencing Project, a Washington D.C.-based nonpartisan research group that advocates to resolve racial disparities in America's criminal justice system,

The effects of Amendment 4 will likely be felt during the 2020 election. Florida is a swing state, and if the ongoing tension over the close races for governor and senator are any indication, the 1.5 million additional voters could be an important factor in a 2020 contest.

But for many former convicts, whether they actually choose to vote in 2020 is right now less important than the emotion of feeling like a whole citizen.

"It means I can participate, that I can have my say," Thomas said, sitting in the headquarters of a local after-school program where she volunteers as a teacher's aide.

Thomas, now 48-years-old, considers her work and newfound political emancipation as crowning achievements in her efforts to turn her life around.

The restoration of her voting rights comes as her understanding of the struggles of others — and the political issues underneath — deepened through her own personal tragedies.............

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:04 am 
Board Emeritus

The latest: Broward County missed the deadline for their machine recount by 2 minutes. Wow, bureaucratic inflexibility! Palm Beach missed theirs, but we kinda knew that would happen.

(I live in Dade. We got er done.) :D

The Senate race is going to a manual recount.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-se ... 018-11-15/

Last edited by ProfessorX on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:14 am 
Board Emeritus

So why is Florida so purple? Is it getting bluer? Why such close darn elections?

So: Florida has long had more registered Democrats than Republicans. Bad news: Democrats are shrinking in the state and so is their lead. Mixed news, interpret as you will: the Democrats' loss has not been the Rethugs' gain.

Oh and one more point about the above datum: a lot of those "panhandle" Democrats still seem to be Dixiecrats who often still vote Republican, now, in national elections, see: Southern Strategy.

The NPAs are growing.

Florida is registering more and more Democratic voters, right? Wrong.
New state data show the Dem’s share of the electorate is shrinking.
https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politi ... ght-wrong/

That long-awaited blue wave Florida Democrats hope will lift them to sweeping victories in the U.S. Congress, Legislature and governor’s mansion has yet to appear in the state’s voter rolls.

In fact, with less than 100 days before the Nov. 6 election, Democrats are actually seeing their share of the Florida electorate shrink.

The percentage of Democratic voters slipped in Florida, according to final voter registration numbers for the Aug. 28 primary released over the weekend by the state’s Division of Elections.

Among the 13 million Floridians who were registered to vote in time for the primary, 37.2 percent, or 4.8 million, are registered as Democrats, compared to 35.3 percent, or 4.6 million, who are registered Republicans.

In 2012 and 2014, that Democratic advantage was more than twice as large — and Republicans still controlled both state houses.

In raw numbers, Democrats now have 245,301 more voters than Republicans, compared to a margin of 259,321 in the 2016 primary and 327,438 in the 2016 general. In 2014, the Democrats had 455,140 more voters in the primary than Republicans and 455,946 more for the November elections.

The reason for the drop can be explained partly by the growth in another group of voters, and it’s not Republicans (their share has remained largely flat in the past decade). The growing group is instead those who are are registering as “No Party Affiliated.”

(see embedded graph) "NPAs" have grown to be about 26% of the electorate in Florida.

But IMHO the fact that even when Democrats had bigger advantages over Republicans in state numbers, we had Republican governors and state legislatures points to what I said above -- a large number of those seem to have been Panhandle "legacy" Dixiecrats who kept their registration but were voting Republican.

BTW, I also suspect in the numbers we'll eventually see there was not as strong a surge for the Puerto Rican vote in FL as people were hoping. :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

So why is Florida so purple? Is it getting bluer? Why such close darn elections?

So: Florida has long had more registered Democrats than Republicans. Bad news: Democrats are shrinking in the state and so is their lead. Mixed news, interpret as you will: the Democrats' loss has not been the Rethugs' gain.

Oh and one more point about the above datum: a lot of those "panhandle" Democrats still seem to be Dixiecrats who often still vote Republican, now, in national elections, see: Southern Strategy.

The NPAs are growing.

Florida is registering more and more Democratic voters, right? Wrong.
New state data show the Dem’s share of the electorate is shrinking.
https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politi ... ght-wrong/

That long-awaited blue wave Florida Democrats hope will lift them to sweeping victories in the U.S. Congress, Legislature and governor’s mansion has yet to appear in the state’s voter rolls.

In fact, with less than 100 days before the Nov. 6 election, Democrats are actually seeing their share of the Florida electorate shrink.

The percentage of Democratic voters slipped in Florida, according to final voter registration numbers for the Aug. 28 primary released over the weekend by the state’s Division of Elections.

Among the 13 million Floridians who were registered to vote in time for the primary, 37.2 percent, or 4.8 million, are registered as Democrats, compared to 35.3 percent, or 4.6 million, who are registered Republicans.

In 2012 and 2014, that Democratic advantage was more than twice as large — and Republicans still controlled both state houses.

In raw numbers, Democrats now have 245,301 more voters than Republicans, compared to a margin of 259,321 in the 2016 primary and 327,438 in the 2016 general. In 2014, the Democrats had 455,140 more voters in the primary than Republicans and 455,946 more for the November elections.

The reason for the drop can be explained partly by the growth in another group of voters, and it’s not Republicans (their share has remained largely flat in the past decade). The growing group is instead those who are are registering as “No Party Affiliated.”

(see embedded graph) "NPAs" have grown to be about 26% of the electorate in Florida.

But IMHO the fact that even when Democrats had bigger advantages over Republicans in state numbers, we had Republican governors and state legislatures points to what I said above -- a large number of those seem to have been Panhandle "legacy" Dixiecrats who kept their registration but were voting Republican.

BTW, I also suspect in the numbers we'll eventually see there was not as strong a surge for the Puerto Rican vote in FL as people were hoping. :(

I think the analyst's will soon need to include a sinking into the sea effect into their voter demographic shift model.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Have they stolen it yet?

What about GA?

I am ignoring all of it because I just dont think the GOP is capable of justice or democracy. Plus I have this very close friend who says we are ALL wasting our time because both parties this both parties that and the Collier book about electronic votescam is the problem. I have no choice but to never discuss politics with him again. PISSED

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think the analyst's will soon need to include a sinking into the sea effect into their voter demographic shift model.

Don't worry Sam. We've got somebody working on that.

P.S. I agree we're on a limestone shelf that's pretty close to sea level, but just remember, when we go under, we are not the only coastal state in the nation, and others are coming next.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wasn't he battling Wraths in some far off galaxy last time I saw him? The galaxy the lost city of Atlantis turned up in.

And wouldn't you know it just as soon as they got Atlantis back here they wreaked it in the Pacific and no one who wasn't sworn to secrecy saw it happen.

Why does it always seem to go down that way? :|

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

In case you haven't yet heard, the Florida saga is at an end. No, this time, the recount anxiety is not continuing into December.

We are sending one of the undead to DC, he will now be Sen. Skeletor. And yes, our next Gov. will be deSantis, ... alas.

There are rays of sunshine. Amendment 4 passed. (So did some other crappy ballot amendments, but I digress.)

South(east) Florida is almost totally blue. District 26 & 27 flipped. I'm stuck in the one that didn't. 25. But who knows, Mario, nothing lasts forever. Including gerrymandering. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Neither are elected if amendment 4 happened earlier if that is the Jim Crow law about convicts.

Their time is over one way or another, they will either sell the country to putin or outright destroy us OR we will UNITE as one party and overwhelm them...and save America.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:36 am 
Board Emeritus

Soooo .... who couldn't see this shoe dropping from orbit? Those of us who remember history also know this was not her first rodeo where the mechanical bulls got out of control ...

Brenda Snipes submits resignation as Broward elections supervisor
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/polit ... story.html

We will never know how many votes Nelson lost in Broward due to ... drum roll, please ... another poorly designed ballot. (It was WPB's fault in 2000.)

Bill Nelson’s Broward County problem: Some voters saw ‘confusing’ ballot design
The Times reached out to more than 3,500 registered voters in those precincts, to see what they thought. Of some 40 responses, most voted with no issue. But several recalled almost missing the Senate race box.
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politic ... ot-design/

There were a large number of people in Broward who skipped the Senate race altogether after voting in all the others. Now who knows ... maybe they just didn't like either guy, but again it was an unusual number historically ... seems likely poor ballot design was a cause.

*sigh* Not one to swipe at folks on their way out. But whoever succeeds Ms. Snipes ... get it right in 2020 ... please.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:23 am 
Policy Wonk

ProfessorX wrote:
In case you haven't yet heard, the Florida saga is at an end. No, this time, the recount anxiety is not continuing into December.

We are sending one of the undead to DC, he will now be Sen. Skeletor. And yes, our next Gov. will be deSantis, ... alas.

There are rays of sunshine. Amendment 4 passed. (So did some other crappy ballot amendments, but I digress.)

South(east) Florida is almost totally blue. District 26 & 27 flipped. I'm stuck in the one that didn't. 25. But who knows, Mario, nothing lasts forever. Including gerrymandering. :twisted:

need a third color to describe voter suppression states or districts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:50 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, for me, voter suppression has only one color. Vomit, because it makes me nauseous.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:53 am 
Board Emeritus

Soooo .... who couldn't see this shoe dropping from orbit? Those of us who remember history also know this was not her first rodeo where the mechanical bulls got out of control ...

Brenda Snipes submits resignation as Broward elections supervisor
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/polit ... story.html

We will never know how many votes Nelson lost in Broward due to ... drum roll, please ... another poorly designed ballot. (It was WPB's fault in 2000.)

Bill Nelson’s Broward County problem: Some voters saw ‘confusing’ ballot design
The Times reached out to more than 3,500 registered voters in those precincts, to see what they thought. Of some 40 responses, most voted with no issue. But several recalled almost missing the Senate race box.
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politic ... ot-design/

There were a large number of people in Broward who skipped the Senate race altogether after voting in all the others. Now who knows ... maybe they just didn't like either guy, but again it was an unusual number historically ... seems likely poor ballot design was a cause.

*sigh* Not one to swipe at folks on their way out. But whoever succeeds Ms. Snipes ... get it right in 2020 ... please.

In both 2000 and 2016, there were issues with the design of the ballot. Two different county election supervisors. Seems to me that ballot design is something you can address procedurally and without spending a lot of money. As other issues in those two counties, I am not familiar enough to comment. But ballot design seems to me to be an easy problem to fix.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:56 am 
Board Emeritus

No, to be clear, Snipes was not to blame for WPB's butterfly ballot in 2000. Wrong county.

However, 2018 was not the first time she's been accused of mishandling elections in Broward County, but yes you'd have to be local to have heard some of it, I suspect.

There are also Black Democrats, and others, quite frustrated with a history of ... problems, which goes back before 2018.

While there may have been problems of incompetence - BTW - I don't believe (contra some accusations from Scott and deSantis) she ever acted in bad faith.

Being invalidated for reporting results 2 minutes after an entirely artificial deadline does strike me as the definition of bureaucracy's negative connotation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:12 am 
Policy Wonk

Yeah, for me, voter suppression has only one color. Vomit, because it makes me nauseous.

yea calling states and districts red that count on so much voter suppression isnt really accurate though. vomit color :rw) would work for showing that.