RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:38 am 
Board Emeritus

I-75 near Gainsville FL yesterday, seven people including five children were killed in a collision and enormous fire. What happened? The animated re-creation on CBS News last night showed a semi-trailer slamming into the back end of a car in the northbound lanes, both vehicles going across the median, through the guard rail and onto the southbound lanes. That's where the van carrying the children was hit and then crushed by another semi that was southbound and unable to stop. The whole area erupted into flames...it's not known how many of the dead died from the collision or burned to death. The other two killed were both truck drivers...the pregnant pastor's wife who was apparently driving the van escaped and early reports say she is recovering in the hospital.

To be honest, if I was the parent of one of these kids...I want to know how the one adult in the van makes it out alive and all of the kids are incinerated.

A number of other people are in the hospital some in serious or critial condition. Additional reports indicate that some victims may have been struck while exiting their vehicles by other vehicles unable to stop or see because of the huge cloud of smoke from the burning diesel fuel spilled all over the road by both semis.

And from clickorlando.com this morning:

Quote:
Court records show 59-year-old Steve Holland of West Palm Beach was ticketed between 2000 and 2014 in Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Virginia for violations including speeding, driving an unsafe vehicle, driving an overloaded vehicle and not carrying proof of insurance.

The highway patrol said Friday that Holland was traveling north on Interstate 75 near Gainesville on Thursday when he veered into another car, lost control and went through the center divider, striking a southbound church van from Louisiana and another truck. Five children from ages 9 to 14 in the van died.

That's just fucking great. Speeding? Texting? Asleep? Overweight? Phony log? All five? Wouldn't surprise me considering Mr. Holland's stellar record.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:55 am 
Board Emeritus

There was a time when I drove through that very section of I-75 a lot.

I'm very happy that time period is very much in the rear view mirror.

I just read this morning the van was taking a church group of kids to Disney World. I don't think that was the ride they were expecting. :evil:

And no, that black gallows humor was meant only to be ironic, not funny. I'm only crying. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Those violations sound really bad on paper to the general public. But in reality driving an overloaded vehicle 99pct of the time is you are over weight on one axle and need to shift the weight.

The driving an unsafe vehicle simply means he failed a safety inspection. Which can be from something major like bad brakes to something minor like a cracked windshield.
Proof of insurance was surely an oversight hus old certificate had expired and he simply forgot to pick up a new one.
Speeding we dont know how many or how much he was over the limit.
In the 14 years cited in the article he would have driven over 1.5 million miles. It is very hard to go that long without getting cited for something.

As for me my last ticket was in 2007 however I ve been put out of service multiple times in California when I was hauling cars.
All over minor infractions and about half the time the dot was in the wrong.
Overall 4 speeding tickets in coming up on 28 years and close to 3.5 million miles.

While we will never know but I would bet the driver had a health incident that caused him to either pass out or pass away prior to the accident

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

There was a time when I drove through that very section of I-75 a lot.

I'm very happy that time period is very much in the rear view mirror.

I just read this morning the van was taking a church group of kids to Disney World. I don't think that was the ride they were expecting. :evil:

And no, that black gallows humor was meant only to be ironic, not funny. I'm only crying. :(

We drove the 75 miles from the Indiana dunes back to our main place in DuPage county IL in a rainstorm last week. Particularly bad on I-94 with truckers going to fast for conditions, changing lanes too fast for conditions, following too close, and just running their rigs down lanes they are not even supposed to be in. When we got home I needed Advil.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Those violations sound really bad on paper to the general public. But in reality driving an overloaded vehicle 99pct of the time is you are over weight on one axle and need to shift the weight.

The driving an unsafe vehicle simply means he failed a safety inspection. Which can be from something major like bad brakes to something minor like a cracked windshield.
Proof of insurance was surely an oversight hus old certificate had expired and he simply forgot to pick up a new one.
Speeding we dont know how many or how much he was over the limit.
In the 14 years cited in the article he would have driven over 1.5 million miles. It is very hard to go that long without getting cited for something.

As for me my last ticket was in 2007 however I ve been put out of service multiple times in California when I was hauling cars.
All over minor infractions and about half the time the dot was in the wrong.
Overall 4 speeding tickets in coming up on 28 years and close to 3.5 million miles.

While we will never know but I would bet the driver had a health incident that caused him to either pass out or pass away prior to the accident

Whataboutery. What if he was sick. What if his front axle was where his rear axle should be. He should have been ticketed a half dozen times with all the miles he has driven. I've driven 1.5 million miles in the last 60 years and never been ticketed for any of the shit this asshole was ticketed for. And we all know how these assholes drive on the interstates. If interstate highways were patrolled the way they should be...we all know this motherfucker would have broken the century mark for tickets.

The motherfucker killed six innocent people including five children because he wanted a lane and some poor innocent victim was in his way. It's only six innocent people because this guy Holland was the seventh. This was not a fucking accident, it was a fucking massacre.

And who would we expect to be making excuses for him but glen.

Ok then glen...give me your excuses for this one:

Quote:
Indeed, it has been a long, grueling 51/2 years for the Willis family, which has demonstrated unshakable faith throughout the ordeal. The freak accident occurred about 10:30 a.m. on Nov. 8, 1994, when the family was traveling to Wisconsin to celebrate birthdays. The van, driven by Scott Willis and carrying his wife and six of their nine children, struck a piece of debris that had fallen off a truck driven by Ricardo Guzman. The debris, a mudflap/taillight assembly, punctured the mini-van's gas tank, and the car burst into flames.

All six children sitting in the back were incinerated when the gas tank in the back of the van exploded....the parents barely made it out alive.

And when you finish babbling about this, I have another couple hundred innocent dead people killed by truck drivers we can hear you excuse as "accidents." When what it is, is fucking reckless vehicular homicide.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Whataboutery. What if he was sick. What if his front axle was where his rear axle should be. He should have been ticketed a half dozen times with all the miles he has driven. I've driven 1.5 million miles in the last 60 years and never been ticketed for any of the shit this asshole was ticketed for. And we all know how these assholes drive on the interstates. If interstate highways were patrolled the way they should be...we all know this motherfucker would have broken the century mark for tickets.

The motherfucker killed six innocent people including five children because he wanted a lane and some poor innocent victim was in his way. It's only six innocent people because this guy Holland was the seventh. This was not a fucking accident, it was a fucking massacre.

And who would we expect to be making excuses for him but glen.

Ok then glen...give me your excuses for this one:

All six children sitting in the back were incinerated when the gas tank in the back of the van exploded....the parents barely made it out alive.

And when you finish babbling about this, I have another couple hundred innocent dead people killed by truck drivers we can hear you excuse as "accidents." When what it is, is fucking reckless vehicular homicide.

You are really fucking stupid. Ive been doing this for close to 29 years and 3.5 million miles. All I was doing was attempting to impart a little knowledge of trucking into the conversation.

Due to the way the details of the accident were reported. There is a much higher chance that the driver had a health issue that caused the accident. Than he was fiddling around and not paying attention.

But then of course you know wsy more than I know on the subject. All I have done is driven 3.5 million and been a driving instructor for two of the largest companies in the industry

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

You are really fucking stupid. Ive been doing this for close to 29 years and 3.5 million miles. All I was doing was attempting to impart a little knowledge of trucking into the conversation.

Due to the way the details of the accident were reported. There is a much higher chance that the driver had a health issue that caused the accident. Than he was fiddling around and not paying attention.

But then of course you know wsy more than I know on the subject. All I have done is driven 3.5 million and been a driving instructor for two of the largest companies in the industry

Fuck off you fucking pogue. Its never an accident with you motherfuckers, its vehicular homicide. If this motherfucker hadn't killed himself he would be going away for reckless vehicular homicide.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:51 pm 

I would wait and see what comes out from this story.

Do you have a cdl ike? Almost any driver will have issues with state police and tickets, they ride truckers pretty hard, there are alot of small things you can get tickets for as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

I would wait and see what comes out from this story.

Do you have a cdl ike? Almost any driver will have issues with state police and tickets, they ride truckers pretty hard, there are alot of small things you can get tickets for as well.

If you want an enemy here just takes sides against me with this trumper asshole. I dont give a shit what the subject matter is...if that's what you want....that's what you got.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:08 pm 

Has nothing to do with trump, I'm a proud union worker that has a cdl, but not for semi truck driving. The case you mentioned of Guzman turned into a huge mess in Illinios because of illegal bribes for cdls.

It is a lot harder to get and maintain a cdl today, there are alot of restrictions, plus regular fitness examinations. These are all good things for the obvious disaster and tragedy that can happen in an accident.

All I am trying to say is wait for the final report before we call someone a murderer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was once put out if service in California for bad brakes which were brand new, why? Because the step deck trailer I was pulling was a 1989 model with old style brakes the inspector had never seen.

Thankfully after a couple of hours an older inspector showed up and explained that to everyone involved.....including me.

Another time at the same scalesame trailer, just across the border from Yuma Arizona I was ticketed for being over length.
Car haulers are permitted to have 3 to 4 feet hanging over depending on the state.
But because when that trailer was modified to haul cars it was never retitled as a car hauler.
Nothing wrong with load or trailer just a paperwork snafu.

The list goes on and on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

As for this accident it could very well be the drivers fault. But on first glance it appears he had a health crisis and the reporting if his driving record is being sensationalized

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

If you want an enemy here just takes sides against me with this trumper asshole. I dont give a shit what the subject matter is...if that's what you want....that's what you got.

Ike I think the line you are taking regarding trucks, and with Glen and Gasworker, is the damnedest bit of over blown nonsense I've seen in a long time.

Put me down for some of that being your enemy too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ike I think the line you are taking regarding trucks, and with Glen and Gasworker, is the damnedest bit of over blown nonsense I've seen in a long time.

Put me down for some of that being your enemy too.

Oh come on, Sam...you have all the insight of a fence post. You've been on my shit list since the first week you showed up here.

As far as the truckers and bikers go...I've been dealing with these assholes up and down I-94 US-12 and US-20 in northern Indiana and SW Michigan for 20 years. There is nothing you or your rent boi glen can say to me that will change my mind.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was once put out if service in California for bad brakes which were brand new, why? Because the step deck trailer I was pulling was a 1989 model with old style brakes the inspector had never seen.

Thankfully after a couple of hours an older inspector showed up and explained that to everyone involved.....including me.

Another time at the same scalesame trailer, just across the border from Yuma Arizona I was ticketed for being over length.
Car haulers are permitted to have 3 to 4 feet hanging over depending on the state.
But because when that trailer was modified to haul cars it was never retitled as a car hauler.
Nothing wrong with load or trailer just a paperwork snafu.

The list goes on and on.

I was put out of service and fined for a horn which would not honk and break lights which would not light in a 2 ton truck.

The brake lights worked, but they didn't work for about couple of minuets right then, the time it took for the brake system to bleed and cool down from having been used to control the truck's speed down a steep river gorge grade and then a high bridge approach which bottomed out right at that port of Entry.

The brake lights wouldn't while I was in that inspection line because with the brake system pumped up I couldn't push the pedal down far enough for the brake light switch to click. By the time I moved the truck to the imprisoned truck lot they were already working again.

I didn't have to do anything to the brakes and fixed the horn. I went back in and told them what happened, and they grinned, then the fellow said, "even if nothing was wrong with your brakes your horn didn't work" by way of letting me know I was still going to get a ticket.

To this day I suspect they located that port there so that trucks coming off that hill and bridge with hot breaks would have that happen. So they could fine them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:14 am 
Board Emeritus

The two truckers died in the crash so we may not know why the truck veered crashing through the guardrail and crashing into the van. No doubt, their bodies will be tested for drugs/alcohol as well as the obvious medical issues but until that information is available why it happened is just speculation at this point. But from what the police say it appears the truck driver was responsible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:13 am 
Board Emeritus

OK. I lived in the Chicago area and I know about the mess known as I-80/94 crossing from Indiana into Illinois. The Tri-State Tollway (I-294) is almost as bad. That being said while the majority of truckers are safe drivers there are enough assholes that are not. Now there are asshole car drivers as we all know but the difference between an asshole car driver and an asshole truck driver is multiple thousands of pounds and physics. Yes, car assholes can cause a trucker to have an accident. However when I see a semi up my ass or someone else’s ass on an interstate or really any road you can bet I get pissed off. People as a whole need to drive better. And they need a refresher course every couple of years in the physics of accidents.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:31 am 
Policy Wonk

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Some people just hate truck drivers, eh.

Ya, they can be a pain in the ass. Slow to take off. When fully loaded they take way to much time to pass another car. Way to slow going up steep inclines. They slow everything down during a traffic jam. Ever see them try to merge onto a busy freeway? And what the hell is with the wide turns?

Are there some truck drivers that shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel? You betcha by golly wow. Those nuts aside, most know what they are doing. Are semi's dangerous? Get behind the wheel of a vehicle weighing 80 thousand pounds traveling at 60 miles an hour. Now try and stop it on a dime. Damn straight the can be dangerous. Should we restrict them even further? Cut their speed to no more than 50? (and i've heard this before...) Don't allow them to travel during rush hour. No driving during holiday travel. Given the fact that just about everything you touch during your day has reached you by......truck......makes them a vital part of our economy. Just how far would you go?

As far as i'm concerned, our main problem is a courtesy problem on our roads and it's growing worse by the year. That includes anyone that holds a drivers licence. No matter what they drive there are plenty of asshole drivers to go around.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:45 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm mostly concerned about the trucking companies that don't give their drivers enough time to rest and sleep, and are adding to the hazards.

This is about problems in Australia, but we have related issues in the U.S.

Truck drivers still aren’t paid for all the work they do, leading to fatigue on our roads
https://theconversation.com/truck-drive ... oads-90696

Remuneration like this creates an incentive to keep driving and get the job done as quickly as possible, and there is good evidence that this occurs. Drivers paid by productivity worked longer hours (many over the legal limit of 72 hours per week) and were significantly more likely to experience fatigue and report near misses or dangerous events while driving.

Analysis shows that productivity-based payments are associated with recognised unsafe work practices including longer hours of driving, fewer rest breaks, increased fatigue-related driving, and greater propensity to speed or use stimulants.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:40 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm mostly concerned about the trucking companies that don't give their drivers enough time to rest and sleep, and are adding to the hazards.

This is about problems in Australia, but we have related issues in the U.S.

Truck drivers still aren’t paid for all the work they do, leading to fatigue on our roads
https://theconversation.com/truck-drive ... oads-90696

Remuneration like this creates an incentive to keep driving and get the job done as quickly as possible, and there is good evidence that this occurs. Drivers paid by productivity worked longer hours (many over the legal limit of 72 hours per week) and were significantly more likely to experience fatigue and report near misses or dangerous events while driving.

Analysis shows that productivity-based payments are associated with recognised unsafe work practices including longer hours of driving, fewer rest breaks, increased fatigue-related driving, and greater propensity to speed or use stimulants.

[snip][end]

There are specific federal FMSCA rules for hours that a commercial driver can spend "on duty." Drivers may drive a maximum of 11 hours after 10 consecutive hours off duty. They may drive a maximum of 10 hours after 8 consecutive hours off duty. The rules are there, the DOT just has to enforce them. On duty and off duty covers more than just hours behind the wheel. It includes mandatory rest breaks and other specifics, time spent doing other work they do related to property delivery In fact...

Quote:
FMSCA Rules:

PROPERTY-CARRYING DRIVERS
11-Hour Driving Limit
May drive a maximum of 11 hours after 10 consecutive hours off duty.

May not drive beyond the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty, following 10 consecutive hours off duty. Off-duty time does not extend the 14-hour period.

Rest Breaks
May drive only if 8 hours or less have passed since end of driver’s last off-duty or sleeper berth period of at least 30 minutes. Does not apply to drivers using either of the short-haul exceptions in 395.1(e). [49 CFR 397.5 mandatory “in attendance” time may be included in break if no other duties performed]

60/70-Hour Limit
May not drive after 60/70 hours on duty in 7/8 consecutive days. A driver may restart a 7/8 consecutive day period after taking 34 or more consecutive hours off duty.

There are similar rules for passenger carrying drivers, for instance long distance bus drivers.

The rules are all there. Logs need to be kept. The drivers and the companies are responsible for the accuracy of the logs. There are penalties for innacurate or falsified logs. A primary reason why an "accident" becomes a vehicular homicide is when logs are found to have been falisfied.

There are rules for all this shit. When any of these laws are broken plus having loose pieces of steel hanging by a thread from the tail of the vehicle and people are killed is when drivers and the companies that employ them are subject to conviction for vehicular homicide. The drivers are no less ressponsible than the companies when this shit happens...and they are the people specifically responsible for not driving their rig like fucking maniacs.

Of course we have an asshole president who thinks rules destroy jobs. And we have asshole conservative and asshole libertarian politicians who think there shouldn't be any government rules about anything and that if your family is crushed into dust by some big rig, just take the driver and the company to civil court where they, and the industry will be discouraged from behaving badly. Yeh...fucking sure. The first thing that happens is the business declares bankruptcy and the owners start a new trucking company business with the millions they have socked away.

I'm sick of fucking excuses, particularly after I've driven past a pile up on the other side of I-94, like I did in January 2014, where some asshole trucker has crushed some poor innocent slob into an oozing wad of viscera because he was tailgating in a fucking lake effect blizzard. Maybe it's because he was sleepy? I don't fucking think so.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:16 am 
Board Emeritus

We also have to take a 30 minute break within that 11 hour window and are not permitted to drive more than 8 hours before taking thst break.

As for logs electronic logs are now a requirement and they are virtually impossible to cheat on.

Best a person could do is maybe eek out an extra 15 minutes a day depending on the system

The one we are using is called Keep Trucking and on it you can't even do that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:41 am 
Board Emeritus

Like b-man said, asshole drivers of all kinds of vehicles will always be with us, and I make no excuses for them. That includes motorcycles. If I could stop for a minute to say what I've seen assholes on their cock-it rockets do on I-95 ... but then I would digress. It's just the laws of physics that make the driver of the semi so much more likely to kill other people, whereas in all likelihood the cock-cyclist is most likely to kill himself.

My only point is, perhaps some truck drivers might feel less need to drive so aggressively if their employers didn't give them schedule targets that were unreasonably dangerous. "Have this load there by yesterday". There have also been plenty of studies that show, unsurprisingly, truck drivers get into more accidents with less sleep and rest. It has the same effect on auto drivers, of course. We will never be rid of assholes; we can improve social and structural conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:17 pm 
Policy Wonk

Like b-man said, asshole drivers of all kinds of vehicles will always be with us, and I make no excuses for them. That includes motorcycles. If I could stop for a minute to say what I've seen assholes on their cock-it rockets do on I-95 ... but then I would digress. It's just the laws of physics that make the driver of the semi so much more likely to kill other people, whereas in all likelihood the cock-cyclist is most likely to kill himself.

My only point is, perhaps some truck drivers might feel less need to drive so aggressively if their employers didn't give them schedule targets that were unreasonably dangerous. "Have this load there by yesterday". There have also been plenty of studies that show, unsurprisingly, truck drivers get into more accidents with less sleep and rest. It has the same effect on auto drivers, of course. We will never be rid of assholes; we can improve social and structural conditions.

Also is people working multiple jobs and extreme hours who get little to no sleep that are mixed in there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:07 pm 
Policy Wonk

Don't forget the incompetent drivers. It's not a god given right to drive. Some people just shouldn't. Or at the very least, they should not be allowed to use Freeways. Namely the ones hunched forward traveling down the freeway at 40 mph all the while peering for a narrow line of sight between the steering wheel and top of the dash. More of them have come closer to getting me killed than a truck driver ever has. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeh....well, make a comment about the plethora of aggressive truck drivers throwing their weight around all over the interstate highway system...and the next voice you hear will be blaming big rig accidents on the driver getting crushed like a grape in his/her car.

I'm doing at least 150 miles a week on I-94 through NW Indiana, often twice that. And I'm telling you for every car that does something to make me actually fear for my health, it's a dozen semi-trailer jockeys. You hit a big lake effect snow squall where everybody is cutting back to 40 MPH or less and if you're in it for more than 25 minutes, I guarantee you that you're gonna have one of these motherfuckers a couple feet off your tail at some point. And if you're in fair weather in the second to the far right lane doing 70 in a 55, you're gonna have a half dozen of these motherfuckers on your ass at one time or another over the next 75 miles at 70 goddamn MPH.

And I don't find anything about this something to smile about.