RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Prosecutors in Chicago dropped all charges. No reasons provided and the record is sealed

Initial reports are that Chicago police commissioner Eddie Johnson was not consulted.

One sorta weird thing...Smollett agreed to forfeit his $100,000 bond. I'm assuming this was under the advice of his attorneys.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dunno. I know no details are being released, but that would seem to indicate the Nigerian brothers lied about being the assailants.

If that's true, then one would think charges might be pending against them instead. Unless ... police coerced them into that confession?

Maybe another case that will remain a mystery for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

WTF??!?!??? At least Nooz has a celeb scandal to talk about again instead of what a good guy our crook-in-chief is, and maybe it'll shut them up for a few days. All I can find is that the infamous checks did turn out to be for training, whatever the hell that was. Maybe like the current fad for everyone to have personal trainers, with little gyms for that popping up on every third block.

You gotta admit, this is an awfully post-modern scandal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

I can't imagine the police commissioner being happy about this. Johnson is an OK guy. He is doing everything he can to deal with the scourge of street gangs in Chicago. In particular he has been up the ass of residents of areas of town with heavy gang activity who refuse to report what they see. Even though innocent people are being killed in the crossfire from incidents they witness. Many community activist types are not pleased with Johnson's comments.

And...who appointed him has nothing to do with any of this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

So...statements from the police commissioner and the Cook County States attorney's office this afternoon. THE CPD and Mayor Emanuel are furious and insisting that all the evidence would have convicted Smollett at trial.

In the statement from the assistant state's attorney it was also stated that this plea deal does not exonerate Smollett from having committed the felony for which he was charged. In fact the state's attorney stated that he believes Smollett committed the crime as charged. Only that this is a similar deal given to any offender of a non-violent felony charge who has no prior record, one of over 5800 such deals made by him since he joined the department.

It's sort of bullshit however. It's not like Jessie lifted a $300 iPod Touch. He is accused of running a fraudulent hoax that cost the CPD in the hundreds of thousands of dollars to investigate. And its exceedingly rare for the record of the accused in a plea deal to be sealed and expunged. Or to not take at least some responsibility. So Jussie got a way, way better than average deal when he agreed to relinquish his $10,000 cash bail.

The FBI investigation into the case continues. Particularly into a threatening letter sent to Smollett, which the state's attorneys office reported that Smollettnsent to himself. This may not be over for Jussie.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I would like to know how many cop shooting cases these clowns have settled, especially after sitting on a murder case for a year. F' them. If it's indeed troo that Jussie made the CPD look bad, they needed no help in it.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

I always thought that CPD just threw every charge they could at Smollet. I did not buy the two Black Men being paid to do the beat down. Smollet is way to smart to hire two African-Americans to yell "MAGA County!", I mean get real. So the fuck what if a Black Man makes the CPD look bad, with their history of abusing their authority its not like this has not happened before.

Smollet became an easy target and CPD got caught out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

So...statements from the police commissioner and the Cook County States attorney's office this afternoon. THE CPD and Mayor Emanuel are furious and insisting that all the evidence would have convicted Smollett at trial.

In the statement from the assistant state's attorney it was also stated that this plea deal does not exonerate Smollett from having committed the felony for which he was charged. In fact the state's attorney stated that he believes Smollett committed the crime as charged. Only that this is a similar deal given to any offender of a non-violent felony charge who has no prior record, one of over 5800 such deals made by him since he joined the department.

It's sort of bullshit however. It's not like Jessie lifted a $300 iPod Touch. He is accused of running a fraudulent hoax that cost the CPD in the hundreds of thousands of dollars to investigate. And its exceedingly rare for the record of the accused in a plea deal to be sealed and expunged. Or to not take at least some responsibility. So Jussie got a way, way better than average deal when he agreed to relinquish his $10,000 cash bail.

The FBI investigation into the case continues. Particularly into a threatening letter sent to Smollett, which the state's attorneys office reported that Smollettnsent to himself. This may not be over for Jussie.

I read this:

"The assistant state's attorney it was also stated that this plea deal does not exonerate Smollett from having committed the felony for which he was charged."

That sounds like a plea deal, he plead guilty to something felonious, doesn't sound like "All charges against Jussie Smollett dropped".

He's a felon now. Can't own a gun. Might not be able to vote.

He didn't get any India Ink and spit prison tattoos for his street cred.

Bummer.

:(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:34 am 
Board Emeritus

The question remains why...when this, regardless of statements to the contrary, was not a typical plea deal with the Cook County State's Attorney's office. The typical investigation of a typical non-violent felonious crime doesn't cost the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars to investigate. Jussie Smollett did not walk into an Apple store and lift a 300 dollar iPod Touch. So how does Jussie Smollett get away with no time, no fine, no remorse, and a ton of fucking arrogant defiance?

We have a Cook County States Attorney named Kim Foxx. A day or two after the incident Foxx had a phone conversation with a member of Smolett's family where the family member expressed concerns about how the case would be handled by the CPD. Shortly thereafter Foxx recused herself from the case. She assigned the prosecution to Assistant States Attorney Joseph Magats. In his statement yesterday, Magats insisted that he made the decision on the plea deal completely on his own, without having to consult with Foxx. Nobody believes him for a nano-second. Foxx knew if her office proceeded with a prosecution and won a conviction, which everybody in town knew was going to happen, she would be dead meat with the black community in the next election. So she ordered the plea deal. And Magats was the one who had to sit in front of the cameras and say that Smollett is not innocent of this felonious hoax.

I know a guy who is now a federal prosecutor, but who worked as an assistant states attorney for Foxx for almost two years, and for a decent and good States Attorney, Anita Alvarez for five years before that. He says Foxx is the most lax and incompetent prosecutor he has ever worked for, letting bad guys including gang bangers with long records walk. For the time being he's stuck in a federal district in some shithole in Texas, but he says it's still better than working in a prosecutor's office for Kim Foxx.

I know this is getting long but I'm really frosted by this shit with Kim Foxx. Just last Saturday morning an off duty 23 year old Chicago cop named John Rivera was shot to death sitting in his car in front of a pizza joint, by a shitbag felon named Menelik Jackson, because he "looked hispanic".
Quote:
One recent outrage, the FOP says, is the senseless slaying of off-duty Chicago cop John Rivera, who was shot early Saturday when Menelik Jackson allegedly opened fire on “the first Hispanic man that he came in contact with” following a fight with other "Hispanic guys" at a McDonald’s restaurant. Jackson was busted earlier in an armed home-invasion case that he plea-bargained down to attempted burglary and a sentence of probation by Foxx's office. “Had Jackson not been granted such a ridiculously lenient deal, he would have been in prison and not been free to murder Officer John Rivera.”
Thank-you Kim Foxx.

How did Jussie Smolett get this deal? That's how.

I don't give a shit what anybody with a political agenda or any headline hunting out-of town community organizer thinks of Rahm Emanual. Police Commissioner Eddie Johnson is doing his best in a thankless fucking job...trying to make it less dangerous to live in a Chicago neighborhood like the one he grew up in. People here have seen Eddie Johnson in news conferences talking about the latest innocent 12 year old girl dead with a stray bullet in her head from a gang firefight, with tears in his eyes. Johnson is a decent guy, outraged with Jussie Smollett and with Kim Foxx for letting Smollett get away with this scam for headlines, and I believe him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:50 am 
Board Emeritus

I read this:

"The assistant state's attorney it was also stated that this plea deal does not exonerate Smollett from having committed the felony for which he was charged."

That sounds like a plea deal, he plead guilty to something felonious, doesn't sound like "All charges against Jussie Smollett dropped".

He's a felon now. Can't own a gun. Might not be able to vote.

He didn't get any India Ink and spit prison tattoos for his street cred.

Bummer.

:(

What happened here Sam is not a plea bargain. What happened is called a pre-trial diversion. He walks away from this with no criminal record.

Also the proceedings were sealed and the case is expunged so if he admitted his acts to get the deal nobody will ever know.

It's a great deal for Jessie Smollett and his lawyers but nobody else.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

this entire affair is beyond bizarre and if cook county gets to keep the 100gs...then thats the deal they made?
im not sure how he gets to walk. isnt there some law about faking a crime...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

this entire affair is beyond bizarre and if cook county gets to keep the 100gs...then thats the deal they made?
im not sure how he gets to walk. isnt there some law about faking a crime...

It's a legal system not a justice system. Any justice that ever gets dealt out in this country happens purely by accident. And the system runs on cash. Whoever has the most cash to pay the best attorneys wins. In this case it's not even about race. It's about money and politics. When a young black guy like Ronald Hammond is sentenced to 20 years in prison for possession of 5.9 grams of weed...while a young black guy like Jussie Smollett commits a felonious fraud, that costs Illinois taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars to investigate, he walks away with nothing, we got proof it's about money and politics. The politics of Cook County States Attorney Kim Foxx, who is afraid she will be hung out to dry and twist in the wind by the black community in the next election if Jussie Smollett spends five minutes in jail.

Here's a little nugget on the politics part:
Chicago Tribune John Kass - Kim Foxx cleans Jussie Smollett up, the Chicago Way

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:49 am 
Board Emeritus

:problem:

Jussie Smollett case: Records show police paid for hotel rooms for brothers - WUSA

Quote:
Chicago police provided a six-night hotel stay with separate rooms and 24-hour security to two brothers who said they were paid by "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett to stage a racist, anti-gay attack on him, according to investigative reports released Wednesday to several media outlets.

The hotel rooms were part of an effort to avoid the media last month as detectives investigated Smollett's report that he was assaulted in January by a pair of men in downtown Chicago, the reports said.

The heavily redacted reports blacked out the names of Abimbola Osundairo and Olabinjo Osundairo, but the context makes it clear that the brothers were put up from Feb. 15 to Feb. 21 at the Chicago South Loop Hotel near the city's McCormick Place convention center. Police paid for the hotel and the security. "Assistance for food and incidentals were also provided," one report said.

Police met with the men at the hotel, stopped at restaurants to get meals for them and drove the pair and their attorney to court, taking them into the courthouse through a back entrance to avoid the media, according to the reports.

A judge on Wednesday sealed the investigative documents, and police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said he was awaiting a written copy of the order to determine if he could comment, including disclosing how much the stay cost the department.

After learning Tuesday that prosecutors had dropped charges against Smollett, a furious Mayor Rahm Emanuel said the $10,000 bond payment that Smollett agreed to forfeit did not begin to reimburse the city for the costs of the investigation, which began Jan. 29.

:problem:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:22 am 
Board Emeritus

Guess who chimed in? Yes, the Twitler. See, exoneration is only for the best people. (That means him. And maybe some white friends who've remained loyal.)

Should the FBI review aspects of the case? Yes. The letter was sent by the mail system and should be looked at federally.

Should the POTUS be weighing in with his grotesque opinion? No.

[from the Twitler]
Donald J. Trump✔@realDonaldTrump
FBI & DOJ to review the outrageous Jussie Smollett case in Chicago. It is an embarrassment to our Nation!

Yeah, really not the time to talk about outrageous embarrassments.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:33 am 
Board Emeritus

The politics of Cook County States Attorney Kim Foxx, who is afraid she will be hung out to dry and twist in the wind by the black community in the next election if Jussie Smollett spends five minutes in jail.

Maybe in Cook County but from what I was seeing up until yesterday, the hetero black community was not that supportive of Jussie (gay man; the straights of any stripe don't really believe us when we're gaybashed, anyway.) I sure did see a lot of toldja's yesterday, though. :problem:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:34 am 
Board Emeritus

Guess who chimed in? Yes, the Twitler. See, exoneration is only for the best people. (That means him. And maybe some white friends who've remained loyal.)

Should the FBI review aspects of the case? Yes. The letter was sent by the mail system and should be looked at federally.

Should the POTUS be weighing in with his grotesque opinion? No.

[from the Twitler]
Donald J. Trump✔@realDonaldTrump
FBI & DOJ to review the outrageous Jussie Smollett case in Chicago. It is an embarrassment to our Nation!

Yeah, really not the time to talk about outrageous embarrassments.

Lol the guy labeling Jussie "racist" against MAGA?

('cuz MAGA is a race, now :problem:)

Stupid bigot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:14 am 
Board Emeritus

Carmen the trend of your posts suggest perhaps that you may feel Smollett is innocent of having staged his own gay bashing attack on himself to generate publicity for his act?

I'm usually the one to NOT decide who is innocent, and who is not, during these discussions. I know I don't have enough information, that a trial is where if it exists, there will there be enough information to be deciding that.

I'll be inclined to wonder about it as I go through my day today as to why I'm not inclined to feel he might be innocent, like I usually do. Thinking about what is different about this case being tried in the news.

:|

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:22 am 
Board Emeritus

I agree Sam. Of course, that doesn't always mean I agree with the jury. But there is a lot of information no one sees until a trial.

Anyway, I have looked at the same evidence the jury did, for example, in the George Zimmerman trial, and it is my opinion they reached a wrong verdict.

(Well, perhaps there was minutiae at the trial jurors saw that media reports didn't cover. But other than that.)

I don't claim infallibility. I can only know what I think I would have decided upon as a juror, and it seems evident to me Zimmerman was guilty of 2nd degree homicide. I would have found that verdict.

Even meeting the beyond a reasonable doubt standard. BTW, I reach this conclusion because it seems to me certain facts and evidence flatly indicate Zimmerman was lying about certain matters.

To be fair, his post-trial behavior has helped reinforce my conclusions, too.

Anyway, the only thing we know with regard to Smollett is what the prosecution is claiming, which is not that he was wrongly charged or innocent (the point you raised earlier), but they felt in a plea deal they would not go forward and prosecute. He is also getting, as Ike noted, the benefit of record expungement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:29 am 
Board Emeritus

Carmen the trend of your posts suggest perhaps that you may feel Smollett is innocent of having staged his own gay bashing attack on himself to generate publicity for his act?

I'm usually the one to NOT decide who is innocent, and who is not, during these discussions. I know I don't have enough information, that a trial is where if it exists, there will there be enough information to be deciding that.

I'll be inclined to wonder about it as I go through my day today as to why I'm not inclined to feel he might be innocent, like I usually do. Thinking about what is different about this case being tried in the news.

:|

Why not just ask me what you want to know instead of posing leading questions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:39 am 
Board Emeritus

Maybe in Cook County but from what I was seeing up until yesterday, the hetero black community was not that supportive of Jussie (gay man; the straights of any stripe don't really believe us when we're gaybashed, anyway.) I sure did see a lot of toldja's yesterday, though. :problem:

They like Smollett better than they like the CPD or Rahm Emanuel. The latter dislike always confused me a bit. Emanuel was Obama's guy. No chief of staff that followed Emanuel protected Obama like Emanuel did. They're still close friends...always will be. But the black community in Chicago isn't all that fond of Obama either right now. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Kim Foxx is bad news.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

They like Smollett better than they like the CPD or Rahm Emanuel. The latter dislike always confused me a bit. Emanuel was Obama's guy. No chief of staff that followed Emanuel protected Obama like Emanuel did. They're still close friends...always will be. But the black community in Chicago isn't all that fond of Obama either right now. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Haha, Rahm could be associated with Ethiopian Baby Jesus himself; doesn't go very far when you sit on a tape for a year. CPD's reputation goes before them and this latest news about putting these brothers up in a hotel and buying them dinner and whatnot is really just another eyeroll generator. Doesn't matter who the individual chief is. (Same is going for Kamala Harris, btw, at least in some circles, due to her prosecutorial record. ETA: and Lori Lightfoot, as well.)

Quote:
Kim Foxx is bad news.

Well, no doubt there, either.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hey Ike, do you know this paper, CWB Chicago? I am guessing it's referring to Wrigleyville and Boystown? Some kind of citizen blotter type of publication; really a blog.

Anyway, some of these stories are going around Black academic Twitter right now (the most likely bunch to dislike Rahm, Johnson, definitely CPD, and very likely Obama or Kamala, as well...) and they pretty much underscore what you've said above -- this paper hates everybody! lol

Oh, and including Jussie. Check this out: Kim Foxx says Smollett's sweetheart deal is "available to all defendants." Court records tell a different tale.

Quote:
Foxx spokesperson Tandra Simonton claimed the Smollett resolution "is not a new or unusual practice.”

But Eric Sussman, who once served as Foxx’s top deputy, had a different take: “I’ve never, ever seen anything like this.”

If Smollett's resolution "is available to all defendants" and "not a new or unusual practice," then there are a bunch of people pleading guilty and saddling themselves with lifetime criminal records for no apparent reason. Here are the details of those cases and their court dispositions:

It then goes into detail about a bunch of cases.

I came to this via this cranky anonymous Twitter account, which also REALLY doesn't like Kim, or Jussie, either.

https://twitter.com/LB_GameOfLife/with_replies

Attachment:
lanbjr.jpg
lanbjr.jpg [ 197.22 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

What a mess.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yup, a rare example of race and class privilege diverging.

The ten grand he forfeited is chump change. He's been in a steady TV series job for years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

:roll:

Illinois state senator introduces bill to withhold tax credits to any production that hires Jussie Smollett - Hill

So petty.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Let's be fair and accurate. It's asshole Republican Illinois state senator introduces bill.