RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Chelsea Clinton Clash: From Linda Sarsour to Kathy Griffin, Everyone Has Something to Tweet
Co-chair of Women’s March slams inciters ‘who piled on Rep. Ilhan Omar’ but are now offering condolences to Muslim community following massacre at New Zealand mosques, while comedian Kathy Griffin leaps to Clinton’s defense
https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premiu ... -1.7025192

After Christchurch and Pittsburgh, U.S. Jews and Muslims need each other more than ever
NYU students accuse Chelsea Clinton of stoking hatred that caused New Zealand mosque massacre
The director of this Ilhan Omar documentary is Jewish — and conflicted about the controversy

American reaction to the massacre Friday at two mosques in New Zealand is mirroring the aftermath to October’s Pittsburgh synagogue shooting. This time, political divisions and fraught Trump-era politics are interfering with attempts by Jews and Christians to stand in solidarity with the Muslim community at a time of mourning.

The most visible and high-profile proof was the video posted on social media, showing a confrontation between several angry students and former first daughter Chelsea Clinton at a New York University vigil for the victims of the tragedy Friday night.

The video showed the students challenging Clinton’s right to take part in the event after previously condemning Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar’s comments about U.S. policy toward Israel and the power of pro-Israel lobby, using language many critics believe contained anti-Semitic tropes.

Clinton came to show support after tweeting a message of solidarity calling for a “global response to the global threat of violent white nationalism” — the movement that motivated the New Zealand shooter.

[snip]

One celebrity who joined the conversation, comedian Kathy Griffin, scoffed at Dweik’s distress at being bullied after the video was published, telling her to “Wake up. We are all on this planet together. @ChelseaClinton does not deserve your misdirected anger.”

[snip]

Another left-wing journalist, Cenk Uygur, tweeted he hadn’t liked Clinton’s reaction to Omar, but that she “didn’t deserve that level of vitriol at the vigil where she came to help.”

New York mayor Bill de Blasio also weighed in, praising “the dignity and compassion” Clinton showed “in the face of irresponsible accusations” that she was in any way responsible for encouraging the sentiments that led to the bloodshed in New Zealand.

[snip][end]

So, in no particular order: no, Chelsea is not an Islamophobe; no there was no reason to attack her for showing up at that vigil.

I'm glad for once Kathy Griffin added something mature and sensible - and so did Cenk Uygur.

As for Linda Sarsour and Glenn Greenwald - all I got for you is, long sigh. (I didn't repost their nauseating comments but they are in the article.) I'm very much getting tired of both of you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:17 pm 
Policy Wonk

I wish Amy Goodman would quit inviting Greenwald on her talk show.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:42 am 
Board Emeritus

The purists are trying to create another reason to elect 45. They do not see or do not care the damage they are doing.

Ms. Clinton is a private citizen last I heard and is entitled to her opinion, even if it goes against the grain of others. Amy Goodman can be a very good journalist, but her choice in guests leaves a lot to be desired.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

The purists are trying to create another reason to elect 45. They do not see or do not care the damage they are doing.

Ms. Clinton is a private citizen last I heard and is entitled to her opinion, even if it goes against the grain of others. Amy Goodman can be a very good journalist, but her choice in guests leaves a lot to be desired.

^very well said

Stop calling the cops on us.