RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earth
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:46 am 
Board Emeritus

Severe Storms In Arizona

Severe thunderstorms pushed across Central Arizona Monday evening. The storms produced wind gusts of 70-75 mph and hail. The strong winds kicked up an immense dust cloud that reduced visibility to as low as 50 feet in the town of Goodyear. One woman was injured when strong winds tipped over the mobile home she was in near Bisbee AZ. Flash flood warnings were issued.

https://www.woodtv.com/weather/bill-s-b ... 1335943638

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Severe Storms In Arizona

Severe thunderstorms pushed across Central Arizona Monday evening. The storms produced wind gusts of 70-75 mph and hail. The strong winds kicked up an immense dust cloud that reduced visibility to as low as 50 feet in the town of Goodyear. One woman was injured when strong winds tipped over the mobile home she was in near Bisbee AZ. Flash flood warnings were issued.

https://www.woodtv.com/weather/bill-s-b ... 1335943638

Wind is part of climate change. I dont recall how, but it is.

Quote:
Why would wind energy potential change because of climate change? At the most fundamental level, winds are driven by the unequal distribution of the sun’s energy across the surface of the Earth, which in turn creates regions of different atmospheric pressure. Wind then flows from regions of high pressure to regions of low pressure. Those installing wind turbines try to place them in spots where that flow tends to be particularly strong.

But climate change is also distributing energy unevenly across the planet. In particular, land surfaces are warming up more rapidly than are ocean surfaces, even as the Arctic is warming up much more rapidly than the northern hemisphere’s middle latitudes.

It’s not surprising that the distribution of winds around the Earth would change under global warming. Indeed, in the Southern Hemisphere, some researchers believe that changing winds are responsible for the growing melting of Antarctic glaciers, as they are driving warmer, deeper waters closer to the icy continent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... 2cf32284fc

It all comes back to wanton behavior by rightwing assholes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Polar ice melt is self-accelerating, like everything else, for the reasons that Sam described somewhere. You lose the heat sinking, and the process requires less energy once it gets going. Thus you see the current abrupt disappearance of much northern polar ice. The resulting wind shifts and ocean warming have proven catastrophic for West Coast weather. Silly humans had started the process with bad or nonexistent forest management, leading to deforestation, and when the climate kicked in, we were off to the races. First it got dry, though that's also an existing natural cycle, then it got hot, because that's what places with dry weather do. The rest is in the news as of late.

There's one theory that I can't confirm with the evidence I've read that the Mayans did themselves in this way too. It sounds sensible. They overpopulated for sure, and they certainly did trash the environment. Now it's planetary.

There's one good thing. I am reminded of an El Nino that we had once. It was preceded by about 9 months of dire doom prophecies, by every Ph.D. with a publicist who got their name in the Nooz by predicting armageddon. Afterward, it was clear that about 70% of these did happen, but not as bad nor as widespread. We're still here.

People like to predict doom. Maybe it's caused by Christianity, or maybe that's just human nature. We always get through pretty much unscathed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

there were mayans and toltecs and aztecs, all cutting down the forests, and then crashing down
on themselves. deforestation is not a doubt anymore. survivors fled and became..something else,
apache perhaps, for one.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/Maya
For Sever, figuring out how the Maya flourished—but ultimately failed—in Mesoamerica is about more than simply solving a 1,200-year-old mystery. Since the 1980s, he has tried to understand the history of the Maya and their natural environment, a story that may hold important lessons for people living there today. Using satellite data and climate models, Sever and his colleagues hope to help governments and citizens throughout Mesoamerica ensure that the region can continue to support the people who live there. By learning from the Maya, modern humans may avoid sharing their fate. :rw) :rw) :rw)

Mayan Deforestation
Before its collapse, the Mayan empire stretched out from its center in northern Guatemala’s Petén region across the lowlands of the Yucatán Peninsula. Pollen samples collected from columns of soil that archeologists have excavated across the region provide evidence of widespread deforestation approximately 1,200 years ago, when weed pollen almost completely replaced tree pollen. The clearing of rainforest led to heightened erosion and evaporation; the evidence of the erosion appears in thick layers of sediment washed into lakes.

“Another piece of evidence,” explained Sever, “is the thickness of the floor stones in the Mayan ruins. They would have needed about 20 trees [to build a fire large and hot enough] to make a plaster floor stone that is about one square meter. In the earliest ruins, these stones were a foot or more thick, but they progressively got thinner. The most recently built ones were only a few inches thick.” Sever’s colleague, atmospheric scientist Bob Oglesby of Marshall Space Flight Center, calls the Mayan deforestation episode “the granddaddy of all deforestation events.” Studies of settlement remains show that this deforestation coincided with a dramatic drop in the Mayan population.

“After the Mayan collapse, this area was abandoned and the forest recovered. But as people have returned over the last three decades, the deforestation has returned,” ... “Combined with the land-use changes, the drought was a double whammy,” he said. By 950 A.D., the Mayan lowland cities were largely deserted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't know what to make of all of this the evidence I see in day to day life is becoming very overwhelming. It is a big problem, if we don't fix it we are in big trouble. If we do fix it, it will mean a 180 degree change in the way we live. Which I realistically know will not happen.

One big thing I have noticed is the lack of bugs. I started driving in 1991 I have always been very lackadaisical in washing my windshield. Back then I would be forced to wash it 3 to 4 times a week because after 2 days it would be covered.

These days I wash my windshield 2 or 3 times a month. We simply do not have as many insects as 25 years ago.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't know what to make of all of this the evidence I see in day to day life is becoming very overwhelming. It is a big problem, if we don't fix it we are in big trouble. If we do fix it, it will mean a 180 degree change in the way we live. Which I realistically know will not happen.

One big thing I have noticed is the lack of bugs. I started driving in 1991 I have always been very lackadaisical in washing my windshield. Back then I would be forced to wash it 3 to 4 times a week because after 2 days it would be covered.

These days I wash my windshield 2 or 3 times a month. We simply do not have as many insects as 25 years ago.

i commend your observation.
the remaining indigenous also dont have much food left, iow, there is nothing left to hunt
on the ground. the Inuit for instance can still fish but catches are low there as well.
they find few if any land animals remaining. yes polar bears are very low in number.

oceans are warming so ocean critters are slimming out. heat at the bottoms of oceans is rising.

i dont know glen...what do we do about all this?

WE'BE BEEN TALKING ABOUT IT FOR OVER FIFTY FUCKING YEARS, FEW HAVE DONE MUCH ABOUT IT
but they keep stripping the land and fucking up the oceans.
why its as tho they dont give a fuck glen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

btw, you may want to contact Monsanto about the lack of bugs, that Roundup shit is in everything.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's another record breaking year for climate change heat. All over the world.

We haven't had any rain here since mid June. The sky has taken on a blanket of haze again from forest fires. Which will start to get worse in August if it's anything like the last few years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

i commend your observation.
the remaining indigenous also dont have much food left, iow, there is nothing left to hunt
on the ground. the Inuit for instance can still fish but catches are low there as well.
they find few if any land animals remaining. yes polar bears are very low in number.

oceans are warming so ocean critters are slimming out. heat at the bottoms of oceans is rising.

i dont know glen...what do we do about all this?

WE'BE BEEN TALKING ABOUT IT FOR OVER FIFTY FUCKING YEARS, FEW HAVE DONE MUCH ABOUT IT
but they keep stripping the land and fucking up the oceans.
why its as tho they dont give a fuck glen.

We know what needs to be done but, I do not believe we have the political will to do much of anything. My current household probably creates more trash in a week than either of my parents households did in a year back when they were growing up.

Everything was recycled, even though it wasn't called that back then. Fruit and Veggies were canned in jars, the only thing not reused was the round part of the lid. Anything not edible was rendered or fed to the dogs or hogs. They used no petroleum other than oil lamps. The list goes on and on.

IMO, 90% of Republicans would rally against any measures to gain political power. I give Dems a 75% score. Maybe 25% of Dem leaders truly want to do what is needed. I remember as I am sure you do the pounding Carter took for appearing on TV wearing a sweater telling us to turn down the thermostat.

I remember that like it was yesterday because he basically said everything my grandparents had been saying for years.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

We know what needs to be done but, I do not believe we have the political will to do much of anything. My current household probably creates more trash in a week than either of my parents households did in a year back when they were growing up.

Everything was recycled, even though it wasn't called that back then. Fruit and Veggies were canned in jars, the only thing not reused was the round part of the lid. Anything not edible was rendered or fed to the dogs or hogs. They used no petroleum other than oil lamps. The list goes on and on.

IMO, 90% of Republicans would rally against any measures to gain political power. I give Dems a 75% score. Maybe 25% of Dem leaders truly want to do what is needed. I remember as I am sure you do the pounding Carter took for appearing on TV wearing a sweater telling us to turn down the thermostat.

I remember that like it was yesterday because he basically said everything my grandparents had been saying for years.

hello....did someone just smack you upside the head?....why you sound regular, like someone who
GAF about the environment vs sounding like a groperphile.

dont forget how they howled and moaned when Carter put solar panels on the WH roof, which raygun
then removed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Conservatives like glen LOVE to pollute. the more pollution, the better. They're still pissed about DDT, for instance. Who cared if it killed all the birds off?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

hello....did someone just smack you upside the head?....why you sound regular, like someone who
GAF about the environment vs sounding like a groperphile.

dont forget how they howled and moaned when Carter put solar panels on the WH roof, which raygun
then removed.

I just look at it more realistically. I just do not see either political party or many people for that matter willing to do anything about it. I bet we all have clothes dryers, my mom didn't. How much could be saved if we simply hung our clothes out to dry?

That is just one small example, I just don't see people really wiling to sacrifice on a personal level. Nor do I see either party wiling to sacrifice on a national one. Nor do I see any nation that is currently polluting doing anything about it.

We need a world standard, not one standard for the USA a different one for Mexico which is different than China's etc. One standard for all. If the USA became totally earth friendly all that would happen is polluting nations would crank up production.

If the effects of warming is as bad as progressives claim which I hope it won't be we are screwed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

I just look at it more realistically. I just do not see either political party or many people for that matter willing to do anything about it. I bet we all have clothes dryers, my mom didn't. How much could be saved if we simply hung our clothes out to dry?

That is just one small example, I just don't see people really wiling to sacrifice on a personal level. Nor do I see either party wiling to sacrifice on a national one. Nor do I see any nation that is currently polluting doing anything about it.

We need a world standard, not one standard for the USA a different one for Mexico which is different than China's etc. One standard for all. If the USA became totally earth friendly all that would happen is polluting nations would crank up production.

If the effects of warming is as bad as progressives claim which I hope it won't be we are screwed.

Since the Republicans HATE green energy, we've given China the lead in solar power and other green energy.

We could do a lot of engineering to save the environment. But you guys HATE not to pollute. So you make up excuses like this. Here's your argument: Hey, if everyone else is polluting, we should to, even if it means extinction! You're logic is stupid.

Be sure to let your grandchildren know you don't give a shit about their future.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Conservatives like glen LOVE to pollute. the more pollution, the better. They're still pissed about DDT, for instance. Who cared if it killed all the birds off?

What do you personally do? Drive a Prius or an SUV? Take the bus or drive to work? Cook most meals at home or eat and order out several times a week? Carry a lunch box to work, or order out? Other than the pollution my truck creates which isn't that much as my truck is California Certified you probably create more pollution than I do.

My personal cars go under 15000 miles a year and average almost 30 MPH. Meaning I burn about 10 gallons of gas a week. My home is 100% electric and we get that power from the Catawba Nuke Plant. My dogs eat most of the scraps. I wash about 5 loads of clothes a month. I get my water from a well and have a septic tank. we keep our thermostat on 68 in the summer and 70 in the winter. In the big picture I personally pollute very little.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Since the Republicans HATE green energy, we've given China the lead in solar power and other green energy.

We could do a lot of engineering to save the environment. But you guys HATE not to pollute. So you make up excuses like this. Here's your argument: Hey, if everyone else is polluting, we should to, even if it means extinction! You're logic is stupid.

Be sure to let your grandchildren know you don't give a shit about their future.

It has to be a worldwide effort or it will not matter. Not a Kyoto type deal where the USA cuts today and we will cut in 50 years [ yes that is an exaggeration] But, not by much.

Now I am off to bed, BTW I also do not idle my truck at night. I use a fan in the summer and blankets in the winter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

We do some. We need to do more.

1. We recycle.
2. We separate garbage from organics.
3. We abide by water restrictions.
4. We don't drive very often, and when we can afford it, we're going electric. Our power is hydro based.
5. We no longer use plastic bags.
6. I use a battery charged mower.
7. Our house heat and cooling is run off an energy efficient heat pump.

Also, Scientists make the claim, not progressives. Science. It's the right that heavily denies, so that the fat cats don't have to regulate their mess and can continue to pollute and move oil.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

What do you personally do? Drive a Prius or an SUV? Take the bus or drive to work? Cook most meals at home or eat and order out several times a week? Carry a lunch box to work, or order out? Other than the pollution my truck creates which isn't that much as my truck is California Certified you probably create more pollution than I do.

My personal cars go under 15000 miles a year and average almost 30 MPH. Meaning I burn about 10 gallons of gas a week. My home is 100% electric and we get that power from the Catawba Nuke Plant. My dogs eat most of the scraps. I wash about 5 loads of clothes a month. I get my water from a well and have a septic tank. we keep our thermostat on 68 in the summer and 70 in the winter. In the big picture I personally pollute very little.

Bullshit. Have you ever taken a subway? I have.

And, of course, you didn't reply to what I wrote. Not surprised. You guys LOVE to pollute. Just like you love to shop at Walmart to get all your Chinese stuff, because it pisses off folks who like to see American made stuff.

But hey, let the rest of the world take the lead on non-polluting technology. You want more coal and more oil. That's YOUR bottom line.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

and no glen, we do not have the "political" "will" to do a thing about any of this.

gutless cowards looking out for their own pockets is what we get.
all the gops who say 'there is no climate change'....

remember...rich people dont live in merica. they move around and exist in other places.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

I say we need leadership that will acknowledge the reality of climate change, stop skewering scientific research within governmental agencies like NASA and NOAA, focus on the key part of the solution which is transition to renewable non-fossil-fuel based energy, will put competent administrators and not crooked grifters in charge of the EPA, and will have the U.S. join cooperative global climate agreements, instead of trying to withdraw from or end them.

The problem is not just Trump, though he is the rotting head of the fish.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

wait til you see whats coming out about FB tonite, or very very soon. they cooked their report,
they deleted things. russian things.

when you have humans like those...they dont GAF about the environment where you and i live.
what zuck et all did is no different than what our pols taught them. obfuscate lie cheat steal use.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

Facebook is losing users and its stock is down. It seems that when they purged some (not all, just some) of their fake accounts and Russian psyops, their inflated user numbers went down. (They were claiming something like 1/4 of the Earth's population used facebook. Oh, right.) This of course will make them reluctant to purge the other fakes.

Zuckerberg is a shit. Maybe he's on the autism spectrum, so it's not a good idea to criticize his personality. You don't have to, because his record speaks for itself. He ripped off those ridiculous Winklevoss rich shits who did a lot of the work on the first site. The poor kids had get by on only Daddy's billions, and were forced to become Olympic rowers instead. The violin for overprivileged Harvard kids is very small indeed.

Thing is, he has lied and cheated ever since. He doesn't want to clean it up.

------

We water on the mandatory L.A. schedule. Only three days a week, and for limited time. The grass in the back is dead. Gone. There is only dirt. Dirt is drought tolerant. It does badly in rain, but we don't get that any more.

I cut way back on driving. Too much traffic anyway. I don't use a lot of gas, even though I can practically watch the needle drop when there is fun to be had with the speedy little car.

Here's the problem though: climate change is political. Fixing it starts at the top, and we are very close to the point of no return.

Fortunately most of the stuff the left favors would help. A lot. So don't rule out politics as a partial solution.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Heatwave ends after 2nd hottest July on record

July's heatwave is finally coming to an end. Sunday was the hottest day of the year, reaching 94 degrees. Monday cooled down by 5 degrees, due to wildfire smoke hovering over Western Washington.

The smoke haze drifted in from fires across Oregon, California, and even Siberia. The haze reflects back some of the sun's radiation to keep us cooler than it would have been.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... -579067807

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Heatwave warnings issued in Spain as highs forecast to top 44C

The first heatwave of the summer has hit Spain, pushing temperatures past 40C (104F) and prompting health warnings for locals and tourists alike as the country begins its August holiday.

Spain’s meteorological office, Aemet, said the hot spell would stretch from Wednesday to at least Sunday as a mass of hot air moved up from Africa.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... st-top-44c

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Heatwave ends after 2nd hottest July on record

July's heatwave is finally coming to an end. Sunday was the hottest day of the year, reaching 94 degrees. Monday cooled down by 5 degrees, due to wildfire smoke hovering over Western Washington.

The smoke haze drifted in from fires across Oregon, California, and even Siberia. The haze reflects back some of the sun's radiation to keep us cooler than it would have been.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... -579067807

2nd is also where it came in at the weather stations in downtown L.A. and at UCLA. It was the first hottest in a few other locations.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Spain and Portugal this weekend could break the all time high temperature record for Europe, which is 118.4 F in Athens in July of 1977. (BBC)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next