RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earth
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Small earthquake hits Manchester, N.H.

A 1.7-magnitude earthquake shook the grounds of Manchester, N.H., Friday morning, a rather infrequent but plausible event for the New England area, researchers said. Scientists at the Boston College Weston Observatory detected the small earthquake around 9:54 a.m.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/86fca9a0-c ... on-brknews

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Small earthquake hits Manchester, N.H.

A 1.7-magnitude earthquake shook the grounds of Manchester, N.H., Friday morning, a rather infrequent but plausible event for the New England area, researchers said. Scientists at the Boston College Weston Observatory detected the small earthquake around 9:54 a.m.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/86fca9a0-c ... on-brknews

"1 Day, All Magnitudes U.S., 289 earthquakes in map area." https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map

To get information on tiny earthquakes one has to reset the site settings. Change it from Earthquakes to "1 Day, All Magnitudes U.S.". otherwise all one would see for today is 28 earthquakes, of course those are real earthquakes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:46 am 
Board Emeritus

Tornado Levels Homes, Knocks Down Trees in Ontario and Quebec, Canada

Multiple homes were damaged, trees felled and power lines downed when a tornado touched down about 5:45 p.m. Friday in Ontario and Quebec, Canada.

Ottawa, the capital of Canada, had been under severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings before the storm struck.

https://weather.com/storms/tornado/news ... ado-damage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I had my earthquake notification on my phone set around 1.0 for a while, but in L.A. that means you're getting one every 45 minutes. I think I turned it off altogether, and went back to detecting them with my butt.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

I had my earthquake notification on my phone set around 1.0 for a while, but in L.A. that means you're getting one every 45 minutes. I think I turned it off altogether, and went back to detecting them with my butt.

:rw) :rw)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

what is wrong with this picture.
guesses?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

what is wrong with this picture.
guesses?

It kind of seems like an aspen scene, but those aren't aspen trees. All of the trees are sort of funky.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

thanks. but no.

what is wrong with this picture is..do you see the few green pines in the foreground??
do you see the mass of that mountain covered in orange?..that pretty "fall color"?

that mountain, those mountains, should be PINE TREE GREEN Year Round.
not dying leafy yellow or orange. but deep green conifer green.
let alone that, the mountain appears to have little to NO conifer pines at all across them.
this is land that has been clear cut, stripped to the dirt of all normal vegetation like pines
and left over-run with dying rhizome aspen eco systems due to over crowding and sucking
the land dry since the leaves are gone Most of the year.
snow doesnt MELT here...it EVAPORATES into the air not into the ground so the pines NEVER grow back.

instead "they" keep selling the Mountains as deciduous leaf dying fall colors.
becuz mericans are too stupid to know the diff.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh damn, I missed posting the answer while logging in.

I was going to write, "Very pretty, but that's non-native vegetation. Native vegetation is not deciduous. The whole place has been logged and now the ecology is pfffffft."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh damn, I missed posting the answer while logging in.

I was going to write, "Very pretty, but that's non-native vegetation. Native vegetation is not deciduous. The whole place has been logged and now the ecology is pfffffft."

well, you are correct. basically they clear cut every fucking pine tree off all that mountain range.
what came back or what took over is scrub of one sort of another.
the aspens, the rhyzome root aspens have choked themselves into eco collapse which is why
they are now Dying, by the mountainside full.

soon there wont be anything bigger than 4-5 ft growing across THE FUCKING ROCKY MOUNTAINS
becuz of kockbros and clear cutting.
its not the beetles. its not a thing other than clear cutting done by greedy fuck wallst corps.

since the train..its taken only 120years for white men to totally destroy the entire landscape
of a land fully covered in big healthy conifer Forests.
way ta go murican corps.

sad is...most of the humans dont even fucking notice.
since we've reached that point all bets are off.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've seen that evaporated snow. It's weird. You go up there in July, and there's this odd white material in the shady spots that looks like maybe there used to be snow there.

Now add climate change, which out here means little or no snow to begin with.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've seen that evaporated snow. It's weird. You go up there in July, and there's this odd white material in the shady spots that looks like maybe there used to be snow there.

Now add climate change, which out here means little or no snow to begin with.

in CO on the ranch which was the high elevation point for the area where snow came by
Feet not inches.
i could either pick up a chunk of snow or move it away and beneath all that snow
all i saw was dry ground. i Never had ruts where "snow melt" became fluid and ran
downhill.
it was better beneath the big pines where you Could find wet ground, wet dirt, wet earth
along with slowly melting white stuff called 'snow'.
i had a grove of big trees in the big corral off the barn where the dirt the base was often
muddy in the spring as the heat slowly grew and the snow slowly "melted".
i didnt get a lot of snow under those trees but they were downhill so they got some runoff
from the bigger piled snows around them.

i could walk a pasture under a bright sun and kick snow and find Nothing but Dry ground.
you can tell becuz despite snow grasses didnt sprout early with the snows. all the vegetation
beneath the snow was brown.
Vs say WA where the constant snows would become ice right above the ground with snow on top.
i could see green grass growing all winter beneath the snowy ice pack covering the shoveled paths.
green grass all winter below the ice and snow layer. !!
the ground was warm enough to Melt the immediate snow/ice cover below the 4ft standing snow,
creating a pocket beneath which helped and protected green grass all winter.

its much drier in the Rockies, in CO; you dont get the warm ground melting. snow
evaporates into the heat of the sun and then pours rain down elsewhere back east.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

LA DWP is cutting irrigation in Mono County, because it doesn't get enough water from snow melt any more.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california ... story.html

Quote:
Citing climate change, LADWP this year shifted its irrigation policy, saying ranchers who lease grazing areas on its 6,400 acres near Crowley Lake should no longer bank on the promise of ample water when they renew.

Water officials say the change is necessary as decreased snowmelt leaves them little water to spare. But the move could turn grasslands brown, rattling ecosystems, the local economy and a way of life, ranchers warn.

“Without irrigation, we’d be looking at mostly cheatgrass and tumbleweeds, which are good for nothing,” said Kay Ogden, executive director of the nonprofit Eastern Sierra Land Trust, as irrigation water flowed ankle deep across pasturelands edging U.S. 395.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quote:
...as irrigation water flowed ankle deep across pasturelands edging U.S.

oh i remember those days not long ago. entire mountain valley floors would have WET land for months
heading into and thru summer, wet from all the snow melting off the Rocky Mountains surrounding the
valleys.
i remember when water..WATER..would slop down the old train ditches filling each and every bit
of ponds people had. we always smiled seeing that.
i remember when the snow hitting the Rockies was blue. then about 20years ago that frozen
water filled blue snow became white dry stuff that might melt in your hand before it evaporated into the skies.

the last blue snow i saw was 2003, March, when we got hit with a big WET snow, a big packed blue snow.
blue meant it was Filled with ...Water. the blue was the Water.

dry white snows dont offer much to the ground.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

LA DWP is cutting irrigation in Mono County, because it doesn't get enough water from snow melt any more.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california ... story.html

The ranchers would lose their way of life? Well, that happens. Everyone in a city is expected to adapt to changes. Ranchers and farmers will have to adapt. If that means "losing their way of life" then so be it. This is the nature of what happens when a political economy that ignores environmental impacts as externalities collides with people and the environment.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

we all must adapt. around these parts few got food off their gardens this year.
very tall plants with NO food on them. nine ft tall tomato plants with one tiny..one..tomato.
squash plants that never got bigger than a foot tall with tiny veg that rotted quickly.
this has been all over the area.

honey people did ok, they had enough bees, not tons but enough.

i think its heat and too much Direct sun. i moved all my plants into half sun half shade and they did
way better.
now that sun has shifted i moved them back to full sun and theyre doing well with a bunch of tomatos
coming...if they ever go red.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

this is about just grains. not all the other 'grown' shit humans eat.
grains which were fed to meat animals which humans consume as tho candy.
Aus has had to kill cattle since theyve nothing to feed them.

meanwhile. all the "us" hears is groper talk. distracting groper talk.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -quicktake
Why Ravaging Heatwaves Matter to World’s Dinner Table
August 14, 2018
To see the impact of record-breaking temperatures around the world, watch wheat. Found in everything from bread to noodles, biscuits to cereals, beer to cakes -- there is no more widely grown staple crop and more than 170 million metric tons trade every year. So when the weather ruins harvests in one spot, it can shock markets and economies that are thousands of miles away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Severe Weather is on it's way East Coast.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Florence became a remnant out in the Atlantic. This remnant somehow held together in its trip all the way around the Bermuda High. It became an invest area and now might become a depression and cause some rain in... wait for it... North Carolina.

In other words.... she's baaa-aaack.

All together now: This shit didn't used to happen.

This part of L.A. used to be small streams and coastal marshes. Really. True. That lasted until maybe the 1940s. The only remnant is a small, no longer especially active, spring on the campus of the high school. Somehow the Chumash were able to maintain it as a sacred site. It's behind a fence, with an ugly little parking lot. You would miss it, except for an ugly little bungalow with an ugly little sign saying something like "Indian Springs Meeting Site."

Saturday I'm getting gas and there's this nuke cloud out over the mountains. I thought, now really, that can't be pyrocumulus. Drove around a bit, saw some smoke. Fire had burned something like 3000 acres in 4 hours.

Welcome to the new normal. Looks like a nuclear war.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tsunami hits Indonesia's Palu after strong earthquake

A strong tsunami triggered by a magnitude 7.5 earthquake has hit a coastal Indonesian city, officials say.

Waves of up to 2m (6.6ft) high swept through Palu on Sulawesi island, not long after authorities had lifted a tsunami warning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-45683630

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

where i am...."monsoon season" amounted to two hard short rains and about 4 short small rains.
wait, it lite rained thru the nite one nite.
that. is. all.
....since last summer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hurricane Rosa heads for Baja, Southwestern US

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Hurricane Rosa was on a track Sunday to drench northwest Mexico and parts of the U.S. Southwest, prompting tropical storm warnings for the Baja California coast and flash-flood watches for parts of four U.S. states.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center said Rosa should be at tropical storm force when it hits the Baja California Peninsula and Sonora state Monday with flooding rains.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... rn-us.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

We're supposed to get three days of rain from that. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yuma has already had wind and rain. Thunderstorms, I think. Not the main event.

LA was in the cone for a while but now it isn't. San Diego is out, but closer to the rain clouds.

Most of the rain in CA is actually from an early-season low dropping through. Presumably Rosa will juice this up a bit, but the models are all over the place. Rosa put some nice cumulus in here yesterday, giving a great sunset, but it was gone by 9 PM.

Rosa was supposed to kick up the surf, real Mexican offshore Chubasco which can give us 10' this time of year, but yesterday going up the beach it was practically flat.

I was afraid of a tropical storm in LA this year because of the ridiculously high water temps, but maybe it's dodged a bullet. Probably go right into Santa Ana winds and catch fire, like every other year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:34 am 
Board Emeritus

Indonesia: 6-magnitude earthquake jolts Sumba island

Jakarta: An earthquake measuring 6.0 on the Richter scale rocked Sumba island of Indonesia on Tuesday, barely four days after a 7.5 magnitude quake hit its Sulawesi island triggering a tsunami and killing 832 people. No tsunami alert was issued on Tuesday and there was no report of damages so far, an official said.

The meteorology and geophysics agency said the quake hit at 7.16 a.m. at a depth of 10 km under the seabed with its epicentre 66 km southwest Sumba Timur. Spokesman of the national disaster management agency Sutopo Purwo Nugroho told Xinhua that the quake triggered panic but did not result in damages. Indonesia sits on a vulnerable quake-stricken areas called the Pacific Ring of Fire, making it prone to earthquakes.

http://www.freepressjournal.in/world/in ... nd/1366516

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next