RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earth
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

More like bribery

U.S. grants Iraq 90-day waiver to buy Iranian energy: State Dept.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States granted Iraq a 90-day waiver exempting it from sanctions to buy energy from Iran, a State Department official said on Wednesday, the latest extension allowing Baghdad to keep purchasing electricity from its neighbor.

The official said the waiver was granted on Tuesday. The last waiver for Iraq to be exempt from U.S. energy sanctions on Iran was granted on Dec. 21.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran ... SKCN1R11IY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:42 pm 
Policy Wonk

last time it happened was 2000 next time will be 2030

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

i had my binocs on this last nite...it was quite a moon. saturn was to the west of it, smallish at this time
but you can see the ring. almost looks like its floating around the planet in two directions like a pointed
pillow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

btw, in case youve not noticed, the 'us' has lost a good deal of its food supply.
along the east coast grain meats are all gone, the flooding wiped out the cattle, the fields of crops.
the corn, the fields of HAY and GRAINS to FEED the CATTLE PIGS CHICKENS.

thru the midwest the loss has been Severe. again, FOODS we eat from cereal and grains to meats.
all gone for At Least One Full Season, one year.
we will be importing this food.
start saving your pennies for your food.
costs will Rise. they wont go down. prices never go down once theyve gone up.
scarcity doesnt help.

one farmer lost 10 large Full grain storage bins. they got soaked from the bottom.
he is not alone. the food storage from last season in Many areas ready to sell for This season..all gone.

all we hear about is the crazy fucker in DC.
afterall we dont want mericans crying over the food supply, no, its best to have them paying
ALL their attention to insane white men.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

get your paddles.

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-ne ... noaa-warns
Spring Flooding Could Be ‘Unprecedented,’ NOAA Warns---
NOAA predicts that nearly two-thirds of the continental U.S. will face elevated flood risks through May

On top of the flooding, NOAA also predicts that most of the continental United States will experience above-average precipitation this spring.

Temperatures will likely be warmer than average for much of the country, including from the Pacific Northwest to the Central Rockies, from southern Texas to the Great Lakes and for the entire East Coast.

Alaska has the highest chance of seeing above-average temperatures, NOAA predicts.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

The floods may be all-time. They already are in Nebraska. I bloviated about this somewhere else. Six feet of water in the streets of Evangeline.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Strong mag. 6.0 earthquake - Colombia on Saturday, 23 March 2019 - information

Date & time: Sat, 23 Mar 19:21:09 UTC - 7 hours ago
Magnitude: 6.0
Depth: 10.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 4.33°N / 76.01°W (Colombia)
Nearest volcano: Machin (71 km)
Primary data source: GFZ

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthq ... quake.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:32 am 
Board Emeritus

Norway cruise ship heads to port after passenger airlifts

A cruise ship that got into trouble off the Norwegian coast is heading to port after the dramatic rescue of hundreds of its passengers.

The Viking Sky lost power on Saturday and sent out a distress signal after it began drifting towards land.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47685595

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

They got in trouble in heavy seas. They couldn't anchor (not right away) and for whatever reason they lost power, nearly running aground. Sounds like it's on the captain for wanting to go through one of that coast's infamous storms.

Boats couldn't reach the ship in those conditions, and half the choppers were diverted to another rescue in the same area. The other half was winching people up one at a time, just like on TV. In heavy wind, that is quite a ride.

I would suspect the "distress signal" consisted of an employee on the bridge pushing a big red button. They've pretty much automated that, for better or worse. I don't know if Norway is in the latitude where the frequencies we used to associate with maritime radio are mandatory along with satcom, but they were close.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Moderators: we should pin this thread along with the byebye and the shootings. Climate has the potential for human extinction and the plutocracy is fighting anything we can do about it. It may become the next big political struggle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:06 am 
Board Emeritus

$125 million lawsuit against Weather Channel in Lubbock for deadly crash

LUBBOCK, Texas - On Tuesday the family of Corbin Lee Jaeger filed a $125 million lawsuit against the Weather Channel (TWC) for a deadly crash near Spur in Dickens County.

The crash was in March of 2017.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/ ... 1878404751

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:07 am 
Board Emeritus

Florida city sees so much hail it looks like piles of snow

TRENTON, Fla. — No, that's not piles of snow. It's hail.

Trenton, a city about 30 miles west of Gainesville in North Florida, woke up to piles of pea-sized hail on its roads. The city's public safety department posted pictures of front end loaders scooping up the icy stuff from the streets.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/weather/fl ... be0004f65e

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:03 am 
Board Emeritus

Be careful Alexandria

Ocasio-Cortez accepts GOP lawmaker's invitation to tour Kentucky coal mine

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) this week accepted the invitation of a Republican colleague to tour a Kentucky coal mine in order to see how her Green New Deal could affect the industry.

Rep. Andy Barr (R-Ky.) invited the freshman Democrat to visit his home state after she gave a “heartfelt” speech about the measure, McClatchy reported on Wednesday.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4362 ... -coal-mine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:40 am 
Board Emeritus

Trump executive order on Arctic Ocean drilling unlawful, judge rules

President Trump's executive order reversing an Obama-era ban on offshore drilling in the Arctic Ocean is unlawful, a federal judge in Alaska has ruled.

Why it matters: U.S. District Court Judge Sharon Gleason's ruling against Trump's 2017 order reinstates a drilling ban on offshore drilling in parts of the Arctic and Atlantic off Alaska.

https://www.axios.com/trump-arctic-dril ... 670e6.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:06 am 
Board Emeritus

I felt the scent of this fire in my neighborhood late Saturday afternoon

South Jersey forest fire 75 percent contained, spreads across 10,000 acres

A wildfire that spread across 10,000 acres of New Jersey’s Penn State Forest is about 75 percent contained, state officials said Sunday afternoon.

The fire, which began early Saturday afternoon, is in a remote area of Burlington County near the Ocean County border, and is the largest the state has seen since 2007, according to Larry Hajna, a spokesman for the state Department of Environmental Protection.

https://whyy.org/articles/n-j-forest-fi ... 000-acres/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

That sounds more like something that one would smell in California. Kinda distinctive, no?

I would have had serious cognitive dissonance had I smelled that where you are. Once in L.A. I smelled the NYC subway and went WTF? It was someone working inside a musty old wooden column, and I guess it smelled like the creosote they put on the ties. There was no Q train coming soon. West Hollywood is a worse hike to the subway than First Avenue.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

6.2-magnitude earthquake hits coast of Ecuador

LONDON - A 6.2 magnitude earthquake struck 27 kilometers (17 miles) north of the city of Santa Elena on the coast of Ecuador on Sunday, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said.

The quake struck at a depth of 18.5 km, the USGS said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-quak ... SKCN1RC089

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dust devil kills two, injures 20 in China's Henan Province

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — Two children were reportedly killed and numerous others injured after a whirlwind hit a fairground in China’s Henan Province.

State-run media outlet CGTN reports the dust storm arrived in central Henan’s Yucheng County at around 3 p.m. local time on Sunday (March 31). Winds whipped a large bouncy castle and other inflatable paraphernalia into the air, leaving a trail of destruction at the scenic spot.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3670844

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

http://www.dahrjamail.net/2018/10/08/the-end-of-ice/
The End of Ice
October 8, 2018 / By Dahr Jamail

On sale January 15, 2019

i saw him on Amanpour, very bright guy and a very sad guy.
this guys been around the world repeatedly watching the changing climate. eye witness to it.
what he's seen is not good.

its not down the road. it is Now. Here. Today.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

earth, whats stress like in china or india.

it looks to me as if the 'over dose epidemic'...the "opioid epidemic" is more about suicide than
anything else.
did they forget weapons. what about the "weapons epidemic"...the "ammo epidemic"...

if you abandon injured humans, like veterans, to live in pain did you think theyd do it forever to please capitalism??

the $3,500,000,000,000,000,000.00 doesnt do much for health does it. :shock: :shock:
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... expectancy
One Nation Under Stress: the documentary lifting the lid on American anxiety---

Gupta speaks with scientists, affected individuals and his own family to figure out how a country that spends $3.5tn (TRILLION)a year on healthcare could see life expectancy shrink three years in a row. The documentary runs just over an hour – but packs in dozens of interviews to present a comprehensive picture of stress in the US.

“The only population of people in the developed world whose life expectancy continues to go down, mortality rates go up, is the white working class in the United States,” said Gupta, a practicing neurosurgeon and CNN’s chief medical correspondent. “And the unifying factor was this toxic level of stress.”

https://www.salon.com/2019/03/24/dr-san ... essed-out/
In an eye-opening new film, Dr Sanjay Gupta explores the link between stress and the continuing fall in US life expectancy--

Americans are dying sooner, increasingly self-medicating with drugs and alcohol, and committing suicide at alarming rates. The unifying factor for all of these conditions? Stress. These growing public health epidemics prompted CNN’s Emmy Award-winning chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta to take a closer look a the big contributing factor —constant daily stress — to understand how a loss of predictability and control are having detrimental effects on Americans' health.

His new documentary, “One Nation Under Stress,” which premieres Monday, March 25 on HBO, investigates the causes, the depressing trends and how we can better handle stress. Appearing on “Salon Talks” earlier this week, Dr. Gupta discussed why these self-inflicted deaths are happening in the United States at a uniquely higher rates than in the rest of the world.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:07 am 
Board Emeritus

TV meteorologist pushes back after viewers shame her for being pregnant while on the air

Being on TV puts broadcasters in a particularly vulnerable position when it comes to trolls and negative social media comments.

Becky Ditchfield, a broadcast meteorologist for the NBC-affiliate KUSA-9News in Denver is the latest on-air forecaster to experience this ugly feedback. Ditchfield has been the recipient of harsh criticism from viewers who complained about her appearance on TV while being pregnant.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... r/70007869

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:22 am 
Board Emeritus

Parts of Alaska, Including America’s Northernmost City, Crushed March Records in Astoundingly Warm Month

Records melted across Alaska in what was the all-time warmest March for much of the state, including America's northernmost town, Utqiaġvik, formerly known as Barrow.

"March was the warmest of record over nearly all of Alaska north of the Alaska Range and Bristol Bay," tweeted the International Arctic Research Center (IARC) at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. "Some places on the North Slope and in Northwest Arctic Borough were more than 20 degrees Fahrenheit (11 degrees Celsius) above normal."

https://weather.com/news/weather/news/2 ... march-2019

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

humans are too stupid to live.

this is one billion..birds dead...
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ies-report
Skyscrapers are killing up to 1bn birds a year in US, scientists estimate---

New report ranks deadliest cities for feathered travelers, who often collide with glass-covered or illuminated buildings

Scientists estimate that at least 100 million and maybe as many as a billion birds die each year in the US when they collide with buildings, especially glass-covered or illuminated skyscrapers. And, in a new report, conservationists now have a better idea which American cities are the deadliest for those on the wing.

Chicago, with its many glass superstructures that spike into what is the busiest US avian airspace during migration, is the most dangerous city for those feathered travelers. More than 5 million birds from at least 250 different species fly through the Windy City’s downtown every fall and spring.

They journey twice a year, many thousands of miles, going north in the spring from Central and South America, across the Great Lakes to Canada, and back south in the fall.

The famous skyline of Manhattan is another death trap for birds, especially those migrating.

“They wind up landing somewhere that’s unfamiliar, like a sidewalk somewhere,” said Susan Elbin, director of conservation and science at New York City Audubon, a leading bird advocacy organization. “Then when daylight comes, and they want to get more food, they’ll fly into a tree that they think is a tree, and it’s really a reflected tree in some glass building … Then they’ll slam into the glass, and then they die.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Next round of severe weather could bring damaging wind, hail from Texas to North Carolina

A storm system that brought damaging winds and large hail from Texas to Mississippi on Saturday will interact with a developing storm to bring the next round of severe weather to some of the same spots on Sunday. It will also expand north and east into the Ohio River Valley and the Mid-Atlantic.

Hail the size of grapefruits or softballs fell on Saturday in Cherokee and Houston counties in Texas. While no tornadoes were officially reported, strong and damaging winds were reported in parts of the region. The storms also brought torrential rain, with 5.42 inches falling in Taylor, Texas, just outside of Austin.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/round-severe- ... d=62230736

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

USGS: Magnitude 3.0 earthquake off Long Island

A magnitude 3.0 earthquake was recorded off the South Shore of Long Island Tuesday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The tremor, considered minor, happened at 7:22 a.m., with the epicenter being about 33 miles southeast of Southampton, according to the USGS.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/suf ... 1.29600113

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next