RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1025 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earth
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:16 am 
Board Emeritus

I wonder if there are 77 warning sirens in all of California. I haven't heard even one in all of my years here. I think they have a few along some beaches to warn swimmers. I find the water to be too cold for swimming.

In Sioux Falls they have one siren for every 2,300 folk. We'd need 15,000 sirens to achieve that kind of coverage. And I still wouldn't be able to hear one up here in the hills.

I'm not surprised they failed, the only kind of mechanical things which will reliably work during an emergency are things which were made to work on every day before the emergency. A use it or lose it mechanical law kind of thing. That law also applies to emergency generators. A couple of times in my life I've actually seen one of those darned emergency generators start up and run during an emergency.

I can't imagine using a system of 15,000 emergency siren's often enough to keep them working in a reliable way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:20 am 
Board Emeritus

Southeast Missouri rattled by earthquake overnight

BONNE TERRE, Mo. (KMOV.com) – A small earthquake rattled southeast Missouri overnight.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the 2.6 magnitude earthquake was centered just over 4 miles north-northeast of Bonne Terre early Wednesday morning.

https://www.kmov.com/news/southeast-mis ... 48ffc.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:22 am 
Board Emeritus

Odds of tropical depression formation strengthen to 70% by weekend as wave moves over Bahamas, toward Florida

A tropical wave over the southeastern and central Bahamas is highly likely to form into a tropical depression or possibly Tropical Storm Humberto in the next 48 hours as its projected cut across Florida, according to the National Hurricane Center.

The system has a 70 percent chance of forming into a tropical depression in the next 48 hours and an 80 percent chance of doing so in the next five days, the NHC said.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather ... story.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

We've hit that peak where there are investigation areas all evenly spaced across both oceans, right along the ITCZ or just north of it. This condition is usually good for at least one cyclonic storm going somewhere in that zone at all times. We've been without same in the Atlantic for a few days, but there have been some typhoons hitting the Western Pacific.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Meet 15 Women Leading the Fight Against Climate Change

From sinking islands to drought-ridden savannas, women bear an outsize burden of the global—warming crisis, largely because of gender inequalities. In many parts of the world, women hold traditional roles as the primary caregivers in families and communities, and, as the main providers of food and fuel, are more vulnerable when flooding and drought occur; the U.N. estimates 80% of those who have been displaced by climate change are women.

Given their position on the front line of the climate-change battle, women are uniquely situated to be agents of change—to help find ways to mitigate the causes of global warming and to adapt to its impacts on the ground. This reality was recognized by the Paris Agreement, which specifically included the global need to further empower women in climate decision-making. Today, across the world, from boardrooms and policy positions to local communities, from science to activism, women everywhere are using their voices to take leadership and call for action on climate change.

https://time.com/5669038/women-climate-change-leaders/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

anyone else noticed how much water is constant in the air above this country?
the missouri river has become a holding pond. a very large holding pond.
over the decades of farming and land manipulations, they have de-contoured ALL the land
into flat more flat and more flat ness.

now we have extremely flat lands, massive amounts of flat lands, all holding water.

what could possibly go amiss.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

That abnormal flatness hasn't come here.

We still keep our few precious flat spots in the gold and gem museum so thieves can't as easily get at them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:11 pm 
Policy Wonk

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Harvest Moon time again

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:33 pm 
Policy Wonk

Last time was a month before the 2000 elections next time will be 2049

It's a full moon Friday the 13th and the next one won't happen for 30 years!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Last time was a month before the 2000 elections next time will be 2049

It's a full moon Friday the 13th and the next one won't happen for 30 years!

thanks for reminding me man!!!

id have missed this one. id had the best view now its changed somewhat, i may have to drive up
to see this one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tonight’s Friday The 13th Micro Harvest Moon Won’t Happen Again For 500 More Years

Tonight Charlotte will witness one of the rarest lunar phenomena in centuries – a Micro Harvest Moon on Friday the 13th.

On average, a full moon occurring on any Friday the 13th only happens about 1% of the time, but add to that the fact that tonight’s moon is also a Harvest Moon and a Micro moon and you have one exceptionally rare (and likely superstitious) lunar occurrence.

https://www.charlottestories.com/tonigh ... ore-years/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tropical Storm Humberto's Projected Track

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

They moved it farther offshore, I see.

Right now most of the bad weather is in that yellow thing NE of the Bahamas. The islands themselves got lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

yeah i missed that moon. nuthin but clouds here. :(
500 years til another, eh. well, have fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:52 pm 
Policy Wonk

rainwater wrote:
yeah i missed that moon. nuthin but clouds here. :(
500 years til another, eh. well, have fun.

here ya go

https://twitter.com/hashtag/FullMoonFri ... h?src=hash

we get that here too with the clouds

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

here ya go

https://twitter.com/hashtag/FullMoonFri ... h?src=hash

we get that here too with the clouds

ohcool, thanks! :mrgreen:

when i lived on the edge of the plains where they meet the rockies...the harvest moons were
a sight to behold springing up on the east horizon facing the mountains, huge orange ball of
blinding color, for a few minutes...a huge colored ball in the horizon sky.
thered be nothing but glow then whomp up it popped suddenly a big round orange ball in the sky.
it was cool.
i didnt know what a true harvest moon was til i saw those falls moons.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

I mentioned seeing a wild Ostrich around here. Now the CHP has seen and captured a wild Emu about twenty five or thirty miles south of here.

https://www.facebook.com/14891416877708 ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:33 am 
Board Emeritus

Tropical Depression Ten forms in central Atlantic Ocean, forecast to become Hurricane Imelda

Tropical Depression Ten has formed over the central Atlantic Ocean, and is forecast to strengthen into a hurricane as it moves west and approaches the northern Leeward Islands.

According to the 11 a.m. update on Tuesday from the National Hurricane Center, the depression has maximum sustained winds of 35 mph, and is moving toward the west-northwest near 12 mph.

https://www.wptv.com/weather/hurricane/ ... ane-imelda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:52 am 
Board Emeritus

Houston weather: Tropical Storm Imelda hits Texas with rain, flooding

East Texas was facing days of heavy rains and flash flooding Wednesday as Tropical Storm Imelda, downgraded to a tropical depression, still packed a dangerous punch for millions of residents.

Tropical Storm Imelda made landfall Tuesday afternoon near Freeport, 60 miles south of Houston. Imelda, crawling north at about 5 mph, was the first named storm to slam onto Texas shores since the staggering devastation of Hurricane Harvey two years ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... ar-AAHtNAM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Imelda is a tropical depression now.

The wave in the Central Atlantic became Tropical Storm Jerry. It is expected to strengthen.

Humberto is now a category 3, moving eastward. It is currently causing hurricane conditions in Bermuda.

NHC: An amateur radio operator at Ports Island near the southern end of
Bermuda reported a sustained wind of 75 mph (121 km/h) and a gust to
104 mph (167 km/h) during the past hour. An amateur radio operator
in Somerset Village recently reported a sustained wind of 70 mph
(113 km/h) and a gust to 89 mph (143 km/h).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hurricane Humberto getting close to Bermuda North Shore

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Six Named Storms at Once in Atlantic and Eastern Pacific Basins Ties Modern Record

Six named storms are currently active in the Atlantic and Eastern Pacific basins, which appears to have tied a record number of combined storms at once in those two areas.

While Humberto and Kiko were spinning in the Atlantic and Eastern Pacific, four new tropical cyclones formed Tuesday: Imelda and Jerry in the Atlantic Basin, and Mario and Lorena in the Eastern Pacific Basin.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/ne ... rn-pacific

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Climate change in action.

As is the seemingly yearly Texas flood, when tropical disturbances stall out over the area. This is completely due to climate change. It used to happen on rare occasions, but now there's a case of it every year or two. Just ask the Coast Guard or TX National Guard, which are both out rescuing people... again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Firefighters battling 150-acre grass fire west of Roseville; structures threatened

Firefighters are battling a 150-acre grass fire that broke out Friday afternoon near Baseline Road and Country Acres Lane along the Sacramento-Placer county line west of Roseville, according to Cal Fire Nevada-Yuba-Placer unit.

Structures are under threat from the blaze, dubbed the Baseline Fire, says Cal Fire, and smoke is visible from midtown Sacramento.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/ ... hly_448873

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:52 am 
Board Emeritus

Last night actually

International Space Station very visible tonight

NEW BEDFORD -- Look up to the night sky tonight and you’ll see the International Space Station fly over. It will first appear in the southern sky just before 8 p.m., climb high in the sky and gradually head toward the northwest before disappearing around 8:05 p.m.

“You can’t miss the ISS, even in urban areas, as it is as bright as Venus [the third brightest natural object in the sky],” AccuWeather Astronomy Blogger Dave Samuhel said. “It will appear like a plane at first, but you will notice the steady movement without flashing lights as it grows brighter,” Samuhel added.

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/news/20 ... le-tonight

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1025 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next