Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Great story out of Kentucky:

Kentucky Kingdom withdrew its support Friday for a controversial measure that would allow seasonal businesses to avoid paying employees overtime, two days after a union threatened a wider boycott against the Louisville-based amusement park.

Ed Hart, president of Kentucky Kingdom, had testified in favor of Senate Bill 35, which narrowly passed through the state Senate last week.

The company said it wouldn't be able to afford to pay those higher overtime wages due to its already-high pay for seasonal employees, who Hart said are paid well-above minimum wages. But his company announced it had reversed course in statement to Courier Journal.

The legislation, "would have allowed Kentucky Kingdom to ... (offer) additional straight-time hours to those team members who want the extra pay," the release said. "Kentucky Kingdom felt it was beneficial to afford its seasonal employees the opportunity and thus initially supported SB 35."

Kentucky Kingdom lobbied to change the laws so they could abuse their workers. But they forgot the patrons that go to their park. The Teamsters stood up for the workers at the park, and I commend them for doing so.

This is why Republicans keep trying to destroy unions - they don't want workers to have a collective voice at all.

Admittedly, I did not come up with the phrase, but I'm nearly positive that I got it from one of my white nationalist buddies. It just fits so well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Odd the Teamsters went to bat for them . Seeing how transportation workers, or at least those involved in trucking are exempt from overtime pay rules. On paper that includes dock workers. However most dock workers do get OT after 50 hours, not 40. Unless things have changed since I was involved with dock workers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:12 am 
Board Emeritus

Odd the Teamsters went to bat for them . Seeing how transportation workers, or at least those involved in trucking are exempt from overtime pay rules. On paper that includes dock workers. However most dock workers do get OT after 50 hours, not 40. Unless things have changed since I was involved with dock workers.

This is why unions are important for all workers. Back when union density was higher, it raised all wages, as companies that didn't want unions paid competitive wages with the unions and treated the workers well, the only way to keep union out. With unions weaker, they shit on the workers, and shit on them even more if they try to unionize. They know there won't be any retribution for their actions.

Unions are down but not out. It's not over, not by a longshot.

Admittedly, I did not come up with the phrase, but I'm nearly positive that I got it from one of my white nationalist buddies. It just fits so well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:57 am 
Board Emeritus

This is why unions are important for all workers. Back when union density was higher, it raised all wages, as companies that didn't want unions paid competitive wages with the unions and treated the workers well, the only way to keep union out. With unions weaker, they shit on the workers, and shit on them even more if they try to unionize. They know there won't be any retribution for their actions.

Unions are down but not out. It's not over, not by a longshot.

The absolute worse anti-union law/rule [and I need you to help me out here] IMO goes back to some obscure rail road rule. The one that today makes it impossible to unionize FedEx. Because they have to do the entire company at once. As opposed to organizing individual locations.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

The absolute worse anti-union law/rule [and I need you to help me out here] IMO goes back to some obscure rail road rule. The one that today makes it impossible to unionize FedEx. Because they have to do the entire company at once. As opposed to organizing individual locations.

According to a Mother Jones article, the reason it's harder to unionize FedEx employees is because FedEx started as an air transportation company and therefore falls under the Railway Labor Act whereas UPS started as a ground transportation company and falls under the National Labor Relations Act.
Mother Jones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

According to a Mother Jones article, the reason it's harder to unionize FedEx employees is because FedEx started as an air transportation company and therefore falls under the Railway Labor Act whereas UPS started as a ground transportation company and falls under the National Labor Relations Act.
Mother Jones

That is the one and it is a terrible rule which should be changed. It makes it virtually impossible for FedEx to ever Unionize.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

That is the one and it is a terrible rule which should be changed. It makes it virtually impossible for FedEx to ever Unionize.

Which is the Republican plan - make ALL companies impossible to unionize. Then blame the unions, saying gee, no one wants them!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Which is the Republican plan - make ALL companies impossible to unionize. Then blame the unions, saying gee, no one wants them!

It should be a fair and level playing field. Today it is tilted towards the employer. If you Union guys were to get the things you desire it would be tilted towards the Union. Esp card check instead of secret ballot elections. Or the way you believe the company should not be allowed to say a word to their employees about forming a union. Among other things.

It should be a fair and simple system. One where once you get 50%+1 person to sign a card the Union presents the Union side. the company presents the company side. Neither side being allow to lie or exaggerate. Then have a secret ballot election.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

It should be a fair and level playing field. Today it is tilted towards the employer. If you Union guys were to get the things you desire it would be tilted towards the Union. Esp card check instead of secret ballot elections. Or the way you believe the company should not be allowed to say a word to their employees about forming a union. Among other things.

It should be a fair and simple system. One where once you get 50%+1 person to sign a card the Union presents the Union side. the company presents the company side. Neither side being allow to lie or exaggerate. Then have a secret ballot election.

A union is an organization that workers can join, for their benefit. It's no business of the company whether you join or not. That's NOT their business. Does the worker get a say in whether the company joins the Chamber of Commerce or not?