Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

5 arrested as Trump supporters, counterprotesters rally in Seattle

Five people were arrested, American flags burned and police officers used bicycle barricades and pepper spray to separate demonstrators at the University of Washington’s Red Square on Saturday during a much-anticipated rally called by supporters of President Donald Trump and others who said they aimed to promote free speech.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... n-seattle/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

These counter protests need to be held on a different day. No matter which side is protesting what. To allow two or more different sides to protest at the same place or very closeby on or about the same time is just asking for trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

No, that's ridiculous. Protesters and counter-protesters merely need to be kept from committing violence or assault against each other. Other than that, you have the right to say whatever you want, AND I and other people also have the right to counter or reject it, vehemently disagree with it or denounce it, freedom of speech is a two way street.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:12 am 
Board Emeritus

These counter protests need to be held on a different day. No matter which side is protesting what. To allow two or more different sides to protest at the same place or very closeby on or about the same time is just asking for trouble.

:problem:

So much for all that free speech conservative whites like those in attendance -- Proud Boys, Patriot Prayer, various maga bigots -- are so quick to cry about.

These same thugs were at that murderous Charlottesville rally, where both campus police and city police did nothing to keep these fascists with automatic weapons and riot gear, and their counterprotesters apart. The Proud Boys were among those shrieking tikitorch creeps yelling "Jews will not replace us!!!!" :roll: :problem:

Same thing happened in Berkeley, twice. We now know the police in Berkeley worked with the white fascists that second time around (of course, this behavior is not new to the police...anywhere.)

Around this time last year, the University of Washington was a warmup to both of the above. Conservative whites stabbed a counterprotester.

Please try to remember that what they believe, as well as what they do and
cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

~ James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:20 am 
Board Emeritus

No, that's ridiculous. Protesters and counter-protesters merely need to be kept from committing violence or assault against each other. Other than that, you have the right to say whatever you want, AND I and other people also have the right to counter or reject it, vehemently disagree with it or denounce it, freedom of speech is a two way street.

Nobody is allowed to counterprotest God's Favorites, really.

It causes so much trouble.

/s

cause you to endure does not testify to your inferiority but to their inhumanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:09 am 
Board Emeritus

/s

Wrong again and as usual. It is just common sense to make sure that opposing groups are holding their respective rallies on different dates.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 am 
Board Emeritus

On paper you are 100% correct. In practice you are 100% wrong and here is why. Those groups no matter if they are far right or far left are not holding their counter rally to protest the other group. Nor are they holding it is showcase their particular beliefs in an attempt to win over the hearts and minds of those who don't agree with them.

They are there to shout down and silence the group which they oppose. Many involved I am sure want and try to cause violence. It is not a case where the counter protest is just looking for a platform to showcase how or why their beliefs are better than the group they are opposing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:22 am 
Policy Wonk

I'd be cool with 37% of the country being raptured. Win-win..... they would be happy..... Sane people would be happy.... win-win.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:25 am 
Board Emeritus

Seek help, glen. You won't, but it needs to be said. Meantime...listen up, you duplicitous fuck...

The president is taking money from his businesses, through obscure deals, with obscure partners, using obscure financing (but we know it's Russian).

More than a year into Trump’s presidency, we all know that a malicious, sociopathic grifter like Trump is making decisions that place his company’s interests (and his net worth) ahead of the country's interests. We all know it...anybody who argues is, like you, is an asshole trumper.

The person elected to lead our country has declined to divest and still owns a sprawling, active business empire...is and has been in violation of the Emoluments Clause from the day he took the oath of office. Richard Painter and Norman Eisen (I know you don't have a fucking clue who they are, so look them up) have been making the irrefutable case for Trump having been guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors since January 21, 2017. But your hero Congressional Republicans, the most vicious Republican Party in the history of the country, will leave him there because there's something in it for them legislatively...uh, maybe.

You obviously don't give a shit...it will destroy the GOP??? The fucking GOP is destroying itself. Joe obviously doesn't give a shit...sitting there watching Trump and the Republicans flush this country down the septic tank bleating about how we need to wait for Mueller. There is no need to wait for Mueller. Mueller can charge Trump with obstruction and half his administration with collusion and conspiracy when he's ready. Trump has been committing high crimes and misdemeanors since Jan 20th, as laid out by Bush head ethics attorney Richard Painter, and Obama head ethics lawyer Norman Eisen....you fucking people clearly don't give a shit.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:34 am 
Board Emeritus

On paper you are 100% correct.

Yes, that piece of paper being the U.S. Constitution. ;)

/thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:37 am 
Policy Wonk

Yes, that piece of paper being the U.S. Constitution. ;)

/thread.

lmfao.... and then a tiny bit of puke in the mouth....lol.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:06 am 
Board Emeritus

Wrong again and as usual. It is just common sense to make sure that opposing groups are holding their respective rallies on different dates.

Counterprotesting conservative white bigots causes so much trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:40 pm 
Policy Wonk

These counter protests need to be held on a different day.

Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Assembly glen. I know those ideas are very difficult for Republicans like yourself to accept or understand. But those Rights are Protected. But as a Republican you have yet grasp those facts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

In our country we have right of free speech and right to peaceably assemble. That means we don't have to arrange our right to free speech or to assemble based upon when, where, or why another group plans to exercise their rights. What you are advocating is essentially to prohibit free speech and assembly based upon a standard not supported by the Constitution.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dunno, LAPD does an OK job of keeping the two sides on opposite sides of the street. Of course, that requires a lot of very scary looking cops in the middle, and of course L.A. is the police overreaction capital of the US.

The biggest problem I see is that the President of the United States is giving one of the sides a pass, and that complicates things considerably. It's another good reason to stop business as usual in this country and address the need to neutralize this president while we still have any of what passes for democracy here.

Far as impeachable offenses go, where do we start?

Clear and continuing violations of the Emoluments Clause,
Misuse of Federal funds,
Divulging classified information to a hostile foreign government,
Lying about foreign connections of himself and his staff,
Clear and multiple deliberate obstructions of justice,
Violation of his oath of office,
Assorted criminal malfeasance,
Other stuff to be named later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dunno, LAPD does an OK job of keeping the two sides on opposite sides of the street. Of course, that requires a lot of very scary looking cops in the middle, and of course L.A. is the police overreaction capital of the US.

The biggest problem I see is that the President of the United States is giving one of the sides a pass, and that complicates things considerably. It's another good reason to stop business as usual in this country and address the need to neutralize this president while we still have any of what passes for democracy here.

Far as impeachable offenses go, where do we start?

Clear and continuing violations of the Emoluments Clause,
Misuse of Federal funds,
Divulging classified information to a hostile foreign government,
Lying about foreign connections of himself and his staff,
Clear and multiple deliberate obstructions of justice,
Violation of his oath of office,
Assorted criminal malfeasance,
Other stuff to be named later.

What we don't want is any impeachment process beginning until December.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:25 pm 
Policy Wonk

What we don't want is any impeachment process beginning until December.

IF there is any move to impeach, it will not happen until after the beginning of the year, when the new Congress is seated.

Whomever is Speaker will have to work with the appropriate Committee's and Committee Chair's.

The investigations will determine what impeachable offenses have occured and when. I would not see any votes on articles of impeachment for at least a year after that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

IF there is any move to impeach, it will not happen until after the beginning of the year, when the new Congress is seated.

Whomever is Speaker will have to work with the appropriate Committee's and Committee Chair's.

The investigations will determine what impeachable offenses have occured and when. I would not see any votes on articles of impeachment for at least a year after that.

There have been impeachable violations of the Emoluments Clause since the day he took the oath.
The day he fired Comey he committed obstruction of justice. He'll the day he told Comey to back off the investigation on Flynn he committed obstruction of justice and he hadn't even fired him yet. And how is he still in office while Al Franken is not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Seek help, glen. You won't, but it needs to be said. Meantime...listen up, you duplicitous fuck...

The president is taking money from his businesses, through obscure deals, with obscure partners, using obscure financing (but we know it's Russian).

More than a year into Trump’s presidency, we all know that a malicious, sociopathic grifter like Trump is making decisions that place his company’s interests (and his net worth) ahead of the country's interests. We all know it...anybody who argues is, like you, is an asshole trumper.

The person elected to lead our country has declined to divest and still owns a sprawling, active business empire...is and has been in violation of the Emoluments Clause from the day he took the oath of office. Richard Painter and Norman Eisen (I know you don't have a fucking clue who they are, so look them up) have been making the irrefutable case for Trump having been guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors since January 21, 2017. But your hero Congressional Republicans, the most vicious Republican Party in the history of the country, will leave him there because there's something in it for them legislatively...uh, maybe.

You obviously don't give a shit...it will destroy the GOP??? The fucking GOP is destroying itself. Joe obviously doesn't give a shit...sitting there watching Trump and the Republicans flush this country down the septic tank bleating about how we need to wait for Mueller. There is no need to wait for Mueller. Mueller can charge Trump with obstruction and half his administration with collusion and conspiracy when he's ready. Trump has been committing high crimes and misdemeanors since Jan 20th, as laid out by Bush head ethics attorney Richard Painter, and Obama head ethics lawyer Norman Eisen....you fucking people clearly don't give a shit.

WTF has any of this have to do with the topic at hand or what I said. Nobody is saying that Trump shouldn't be protested or opposed. What I am saying is that in todays world it is not safe for two groups to hold protests near each other on the same day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

WTF has any of this have to do with the topic at hand or what I said.

Pot/kettle...

Nothing that comes out of your festering piehole has anything to do with anything related to the actual world. So when I'm responding to anything coming outta you it can't have anything to do with any topic. So I just sort of uh...expound.

And I'm pretty fuckin' happy with this last one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

WTF has any of this have to do with the topic at hand or what I said. Nobody is saying that Trump shouldn't be protested or opposed. What I am saying is that in todays world it is not safe for two groups to hold protests near each other on the same day.

The only reason it's not safe is the same reason it's never been safe: because conservative whites will murder you right where you stand.

Generic "you".

Thing is, we are not afraid of you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:31 pm 
Policy Wonk

Hey everybody, take a look at glen, he upset that a people are posting on something that has nothing to with the subject of the thread.....like glen would never in his life ever consider doing that....exccept when he does.

GTFU glen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:13 pm 
Policy Wonk

/s

The Mystical/Magical Non-Existent Skyman can go fuck himself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hey everybody, take a look at glen, he upset that a people are posting on something that has nothing to with the subject of the thread.....like glen would never in his life ever consider doing that....exccept when he does.

GTFU glen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:12 am 
Board Emeritus

On paper you are 100% correct. In practice you are 100% wrong and here is why. Those groups no matter if they are far right or far left are not holding their counter rally to protest the other group. Nor are they holding it is showcase their particular beliefs in an attempt to win over the hearts and minds of those who don't agree with them.

They are there to shout down and silence the group which they oppose. Many involved I am sure want and try to cause violence. It is not a case where the counter protest is just looking for a platform to showcase how or why their beliefs are better than the group they are opposing.

That's right! The Nazis should be able to hold their rallies in peace with the government protecting them.

Hey, it worked in Germany in the 20's, right? No one stood against them there, either.

glen says Nazi rallies are perfectly acceptable and we should let them go their merry way. What could go wrong?

From the famous poem -

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Well, we know that the first two you'd like to have wiped off the face of the earth, and you'd never speak out in their favor.

So we know you won't fight the Nazis. But I will, with my last dying breath.

And now we see how different we are from each other.