RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

And they try to say the Senate isn't an old boys club? Via politico (this is a few days old):

en. Tammy Duckworth has a problem: How can a senator who needs to vote take time off to care for her newborn?

“I can’t technically take maternity leave,” Duckworth said in the latest episode of the Women Rule podcast. “Because if I take maternity leave, then I won’t be allowed to sponsor legislation or vote during that time period.”

The Illinois Democrat and Iraq War veteran, who is expecting her second child this spring, will be the first sitting senator to give birth in office. She plans to take 12 weeks of paid leave – but she’s working with her party’s leadership and her staff to figure out how she can still take important votes while she’s out.

“It’s going to change some Senate rules,” Duckworth said.

The Senate often has members with medical issues who must spend significant time away from Washington. But a mother with a newborn presents new questions that Senate leaders are confronting for the first time.

For instance: “You are not allowed to bring children onto the floor of the Senate at all,” Duckworth pointed out. “If I have to vote, and I’m breastfeeding my child, especially during my maternity leave period, what do I do? Leave her sitting outside?”

I wonder if the right will refuse to change the rules so that the Dems will lose her vote while she's on leave?

Probably.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

so john mccain can go to the hospital and take the time to recuperate and thats ok but the little women
cant get time off?

#yafukinmoochers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

I think its the same issue. If you're not there, you can't vote. No calling in. No absentee voting.

That was one of the things I thought was extremely unfair about how Sen Duckworth's predecessor was treated, as compared to how the rest of Americans are treated. He got the best government paid healthcare and didn't have to go to work till he felt he was ready....and his job was protected and he was still paid.

Sen Duckworth doesn't have to show up, her job is protected.

I assume its treated just as any other leave in the Senate....not differently.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

im getting she was willing to haul the child to the job and i Know they have child care shit set up in capitol bldg
for the feeding/babysitting stuff.
NO reason she couldnt call a vote in IF there was ever a vote for the first few weeks.
shes not incapacitated via "OPIOID PAIN MED EPIDEMIC" which offered mccain COMFORT.
..she just grew a sprout which finally sprouted.

semper fuckin fi you cowards.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:06 am 
Policy Wonk

so john mccain can go to the hospital and take the time to recuperate and thats ok but the little women
cant get time off?

#yafukinmoochers

No.... it's the same. he couldn't vote either....... and she can get 6 years off if she wants..... The rule is... you can only vote in person. What might have to change is the ability to bring the baby with her her for her vote. I can understand not having her baby hanging out on the floor for hours and hours, but I don't see a big deal with her bringing her child...... if she can't get childcare...... due to some unscheduled filibuster or vote.... to the floor during her vote..... that's like..... 10 minutes. That is the only thing that makes this an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

No.... it's the same. he couldn't vote either....... and she can get 6 years off if she wants..... The rule is... you can only vote in person. What might have to change is the ability to bring the baby with her her for her vote. I can understand not having her baby hanging out on the floor for hours and hours, but I don't see a big deal with her bringing her child...... if she can't get childcare...... due to some unscheduled filibuster or vote.... to the floor during her vote..... that's like..... 10 minutes. That is the only thing that makes this an issue.

how much time does one have to spend 'during a vote'?
she could have a sitter with the kid while she goes inside to vote..unless she Has to be there the entire
8-9hours these idiot white boys talk about doing something.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:22 pm 

Problem solved.

"Babies now allowed on the US Senate floor following rare move to change rules"

"In a rare move, the Senate on Wednesday night voted to change longstanding rules to allow newborns -- for the first time -- onto the Senate floor during votes.

The rule change, voted through by unanimous consent, was done to accommodate senators with newborn babies, allowing them now to be able to bring a child under 1 year old onto the Senate floor and breastfeed them during votes."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/18/politics ... index.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

And they try to say the Senate isn't an old boys club? Via politico (this is a few days old):

en. Tammy Duckworth has a problem: How can a senator who needs to vote take time off to care for her newborn?

“I can’t technically take maternity leave,” Duckworth said in the latest episode of the Women Rule podcast. “Because if I take maternity leave, then I won’t be allowed to sponsor legislation or vote during that time period.”

The Illinois Democrat and Iraq War veteran, who is expecting her second child this spring, will be the first sitting senator to give birth in office. She plans to take 12 weeks of paid leave – but she’s working with her party’s leadership and her staff to figure out how she can still take important votes while she’s out.

“It’s going to change some Senate rules,” Duckworth said.

The Senate often has members with medical issues who must spend significant time away from Washington. But a mother with a newborn presents new questions that Senate leaders are confronting for the first time.

For instance: “You are not allowed to bring children onto the floor of the Senate at all,” Duckworth pointed out. “If I have to vote, and I’m breastfeeding my child, especially during my maternity leave period, what do I do? Leave her sitting outside?”

I wonder if the right will refuse to change the rules so that the Dems will lose her vote while she's on leave?

Probably.

Talk about a non-starter, the Senate were and did change the rules so she can have her baby on the Senate Floor for photo ops.....oops I meant votes.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I heard but did not read about what Orrin Hatch said and what was a reply. It's funny even if it is not true.

Apparently Hatch said something about what if there were ten babies being nursed on the Senate floor.

Someone apparently replied that would be a fewer than the normal number of babies being nursed there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

Ms. Duckworth will one day be President, count on it.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was just about to say!

And I can't wait to vote for her. She's so rad. <3

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh, I think she has more sense than to do that.