Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

No, really!

After months of criticizing special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia probe, President Donald Trump’s supporters are issuing increasingly bold calls for presidential pardons to limit the investigation’s impact.

“I think he should be pardoning anybody who’s been indicted and make it clear that anybody else who gets indicted would be pardoned immediately,” said Frederick Fleitz, a former CIA analyst and senior vice president at the conservative Center for Security Policy.

The pleas for mercy mainly extend to the four former Trump aides who have already been swept up in the Russia probe: former campaign manager Paul Manafort, former deputy campaign manager Rick Gates, former national security adviser Michael Flynn and former campaign foreign policy adviser George Papadopoulos. But they don’t stop there.

“It’s kind of cruel what’s going on right now and the president should put these defendants out of their misery,” said Larry Klayman, a conservative legal activist. “I think he should pardon everybody — and pardon himself.”

It wouldn't surprise me. This administration is the most corrupt in United States history.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Along with the pardon comes an admission of guilt. Also, as regards Manafort and Gates, they would still face prosecution by New York State.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Along with the pardon comes an admission of guilt. Also, as regards Manafort and Gates, they would still face prosecution by New York State.

Yes, that's Mueller's hole card. But I dunno if it's admission of guilt if the pardon is BEFORE someone is indicted...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think these guys are pardon proof. Probably with a back up that goes right to state crimes.

Also, I really don't think a president can pardon people for crimes he's implicated in. No one is above the law, not even the president.

Voting with hurt fees to pwn the libs:
Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think these guys are pardon proof. Probably with a back up that goes right to state crimes.

Also, I really don't think a president can pardon people for crimes he's implicated in. No one is above the law, not even the president.

With all due respect, your opinion doesn't matter. It would be up to the Congress and Senate, and ultimately to the Supreme Court.

And, sadly, they're in Trump's corner...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

It is my opinion, yes. But this is uncharted territory. No one is above the law. I'm doubtful a president can pardon people of crimes when he's the ring leader but I guess we'll see.

Voting with hurt fees to pwn the libs:
Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

It is my opinion, yes. But this is uncharted territory. No one is above the law. I'm doubtful a president can pardon people of crimes when he's the ring leader but I guess we'll see.

We agree that's how our nation was set up, and yes, no President should be above the law. We kind of proved that with Nixon.

But a Republican Supreme Court can just throw all that out, and destroy everything our nation is built upon. And Republicans are more than willing to do that. They have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are putting power before our nation and our Constitution. They don't believe in any of it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:17 pm 
Policy Wonk

We agree that's how our nation was set up, and yes, no President should be above the law. We kind of proved that with Nixon.

But a Republican Supreme Court can just throw all that out, and destroy everything our nation is built upon. And Republicans are more than willing to do that. They have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are putting power before our nation and our Constitution. They don't believe in any of it.

Right. This looks like a quick and easy opportunity to just redo America into a fascist state.

Grounds for a pardon would be what, unusual emotional trauma? That is a good one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

They're pardon-proof only as long as Trump has need of them. If they turn on him and give evidence of his wrongdoing then Trump won't pardon them because they weren't "loyal" to him. If they keep their mouths shut and don't implicate him then it's to Trump's advantage to pardon them. Trump's big mistake will be if he telegraphs his intent to pardon them then that would be obstruction of justice and an impeachable offense.

Quote:

In looking over Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution it only says he can't use the power of the pardon in cases of impeachment. From my take that means if he, or anyone holding an office, is facing or is impeached he can't pardon them. If he were implicated in a crime and he pardoned those involved I think this would be fast-tracked to the Supreme Court. I doubt even the conservative Supreme Court would go along with Trump on that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

I doubt even the conservative Supreme Court would go along with Trump on that.

Sir, you are far more optimistic than I on that point.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 am 
Board Emeritus

My wife was concerned by the OP articles title when she was reading the news this morning. She read parts of it to me, and we discussed it.

The title is, "Conservatives urge Trump to grant pardons in Russia probe."

I asked her, "which conservatives are urging Trump to do that?"

She read the names off to me. The first one Frederick Fleitz, I've never heard of him. Larry Klayman, I think I have heard of him, but I don't think he's a wheel. Michael Flynn Jr. is not a surprise.

Donald Trump Jr. was mentioned for having made a tweet, but he didn't actually tweet anything related to urging Trump to roll out pardons.

I said to her, "Politico has a bad habit of making broad stereotypical statements in headlines." She agreed.

She read the rest of the article to me, it devolved into what sounded like two pages of rehashing of past speculation by others, and the authors speculation.

I asked her "who is author?"

She told me, I've never heard of him, I've already forgotten his name.

She looked him up after I ask about him, this part I do remember, at one time he was a sports writer. That past experience shows in his writing today.

We decided together that the article wasn't actually made of anything, so it doesn't actually mean anything.

All in all it was a nice day today. It snowed and rained a bit. Was too cold to go outside which means I stayed inside and didn't do anything I would call real work. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:23 am 
Board Emeritus

Oh, right, Trump isn't going to use any pardons, Sam, he also doesn't want to fire Mueller. He never said he has the unlimited right to pardon.

My mistake, Sam, Trump is obviously as honest and innocent as the day is long. :roll:

Jeesh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:11 am 
Board Emeritus

My wife was concerned by the OP articles title when she was reading the news this morning. She read parts of it to me, and we discussed it.

The title is, "Conservatives urge Trump to grant pardons in Russia probe."

I asked her, "which conservatives are urging Trump to do that?"

She read the names off to me. The first one Frederick Fleitz, I've never heard of him. Larry Klayman, I think I have heard of him, but I don't think he's a wheel. Michael Flynn Jr. is not a surprise.

Donald Trump Jr. was mentioned for having made a tweet, but he didn't actually tweet anything related to urging Trump to roll out pardons.

I said to her, "Politico has a bad habit of making broad stereotypical statements in headlines." She agreed.

She read the rest of the article to me, it devolved into what sounded like two pages of rehashing of past speculation by others, and the authors speculation.

I asked her "who is author?"

She told me, I've never heard of him, I've already forgotten his name.

She looked him up after I ask about him, this part I do remember, at one time he was a sports writer. That past experience shows in his writing today.

We decided together that the article wasn't actually made of anything, so it doesn't actually mean anything.

All in all it was a nice day today. It snowed and rained a bit. Was too cold to go outside which means I stayed inside and didn't do anything I would call real work. :D

Larry Klayman is that Judicial Watch clown.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 am 
Board Emeritus

Oh, right, Trump isn't going to use any pardons, Sam, he also doesn't want to fire Mueller. He never said he has the unlimited right to pardon.

My mistake, Sam, Trump is obviously as honest and innocent as the day is long. :roll:

Jeesh.

Have you given it any thought as to whether you would love to hate to see Trump pardon these gangsters in front of everyone?

That sure would be exciting. Why if he did that I would get a calendar and start counting the days.

Who's Jeesh, I thought you were GoUnion?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:32 am 
Board Emeritus

Larry Klayman is that Judicial Watch clown.

Yeah, a clown. He's known for frivolous lawsuits.

Sued his mother.

Says things like "Caucasian race" and "Jewish-Christian religion."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:12 am 
Board Emeritus

Have you given it any thought as to whether you would love to hate to see Trump pardon these gangsters in front of everyone?

That sure would be exciting. Why if he did that I would get a calendar and start counting the days.

Who's Jeesh, I thought you were GoUnion?

All you have left is an ad hominem attack. Not surprised. You're done.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:35 am 
Policy Wonk

Well if we want to go ad hominem.....I don't deal with that stupid fucking cunt. He can go fuck himself with a 4" firehose for all I care. That's girth by the way. Length is up to him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:22 am 
Board Emeritus

That's not an ad hominem attack. That's just not taking you seriously, and eating your straw. And saying how much I liked your straw when I was done eating it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:24 am 
Board Emeritus

Well if we want to go ad hominem.....I don't deal with that stupid fucking cunt. He can go fuck himself with a 4" firehose for all I care. That's girth by the way. Length is up to him.

This is an ad hominem attack.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's not an ad hominem attack. That's just not taking you seriously, and eating your straw. And saying how much I liked your straw when I was done eating it.

Sadly, you have to deny what you wrote. That's what it was, don't try to play innocent. It's all bullshit. If I make an attack, I don't pretend that I didn't. But you do.

But Raw Story has an interesting take on the pardon issue:

Right-wing allies are encouraging President Donald Trump to issue pardons to anyone — including himself — implicated in the special counsel investigation, but legal experts say that won’t come without significant risk.

Some of the president’s top campaign aides have already either pleaded guilty to federal charges or have been indicted in the probe, and his son and son-in-law Jared Kushner also face potential legal jeopardy, but a former Defense Department attorney urged them all to think twice before accepting pardons.

Ryan Goodman — co-editor-in-chief of Just Security and former special counsel for the Department of Defense — pointed out that presidential pardons don’t cover state charges, but accepting one would make state prosecution more likely.

“The dilemma for these Trump campaign affiliates is not simply that a presidential pardon would fail to erase the risk of a state prosecution, but rather that their acceptance of such a pardon may significantly increase the prospect that state prosecutors will both pursue a case and secure a conviction,” Goodman said.

That’s because state attorneys general such as New York’s Eric Schneiderman could perceive their acceptance as an admission of guilt.

“What Trump campaign affiliates have to fear is that acceptance of a pardon could add booster rockets to the state prosecutors’ efforts for closely related state crimes,” Goodman said. “Officials like New York’s Schneiderman may feel they have an ace in hand if they can walk into a state courthouse with a defendant’s admission of guilt implied by having accepted a presidential pardon. This get-out-of-federal-jail card comes at a price.”

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sadly, you have to deny what you wrote. That's what it was, don't try to play innocent. It's all bullshit. If I make an attack, I don't pretend that I didn't. But you do.

I don't deny what I wrote. I wrote about the OP article, I had some criticism about it. I didn't mention your name or criticize you. What I didn't write was your dripping inference about what I wrote. :|

You wrote, "My mistake, Sam, Trump is obviously as honest and innocent as the day is long." :roll: "Jeesh."

Nothing I wrote went there. That was a misrepresentation of my position, with a sneer. :|

So I wrote, "Who's Jeesh, I thought you were GoUnion?" Along with that I also wrote, "Have you given it any thought as to whether you would love to hate to see Trump pardon these gangsters in front of everyone?"

Then you wrote, "All you have left is an ad hominem attack. Not surprised. You're done."

Just because you said I'm done sure as hell doesn't mean I'm done. :|

At which point I wrote, "That's not an ad hominem attack. That's just not taking you seriously, and eating your straw. And saying how much I liked your straw when I was done eating it."

When I mentioned not eating your straw I was referring back to your dripping inference about what I wrote. Straw is a well known metaphoric reference to misrepresentation of a persons position. You were doing the nasty straw man thing again. It's a bad habit you have. Another bad habit you have is saying someone else is doing to you what you are actually doing to them. :|

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:38 am 
Board Emeritus

"Have you given it any thought as to whether you would love to hate to see Trump pardon these gangsters in front of everyone?"

You're pretty good at laying down straw yourself, Sam. You're like glen - doing exactly what you whine that people do to you. Thanks for making my point for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:24 am 
Board Emeritus

"Have you given it any thought as to whether you would love to hate to see Trump pardon these gangsters in front of everyone?"

You're pretty good at laying down straw yourself, Sam. You're like glen - doing exactly what you whine that people do to you. Thanks for making my point for me.

That's a straight up question GoUnion. It doesn't imply what you may think or have said or in any way represent your position.

There is one side of me that hopes Trump does roll out the pardons, so we can impeach him. That's what i think would come of it. It's not my position but the thought of it has crossed my mind.

As you recall I wrote, "Who's Jeesh, I thought you were GoUnion?"

That was in protest of that sneer after your dripping inference misrepresentation of my position.

Along with that but not related to protesting that sneer, I also wrote, "Have you given it any thought as to whether you would love to hate to see Trump pardon these gangsters in front of everyone?"

A straight up on topic question. You can answer it if you want, or not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

A pardon before conviction is an admission of guilt. It also waives the 5th Amendment regarding testimony in the matter, because it can no longer cause self-incrimination.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

The problem with Trump pardoning anyone is many, if not all of them, could still face state charges and Trump's pardon is only for federal crimes, not state crimes. New York is a state that goes after those who commit financial crimes.