Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Had Nixon Won in 1960
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Was going back and forth with GoU on another thread and once again I got to thinking about what would it be like today had Nixon won in 1960.

JFK, probably would have won in either 64 or 68.

RFK would have lived to be an old man and JFK due to his poor health maybe not as old but surely would have seen 70-75.

No Watergate, no Carter which means no Reagan no Bush no Clinton and definitely no Trump almost forgot no LBJ.

Had JFK done a reasonably decent job which seeing how he is currently ranked one slot above Reagan there is no reason to believe he wouldnt have been. RFK probably would have been President somewhere between 76 and 84.

Nixon was better equiped to run Vietnam than LBJ so it would have been totally different.

The civil rights era would have been Republican ran. Meaning today African Americans would not be voting 90%+ for the Democratic Party. Meaning their votes and political voices would not be taken for granted.

We would have gotten Universal Healthcare sometime in the late 60's to early 70's.

We would be so much better off today than we are.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Imagine if Hilter died in WW1? Or Elvis was never born?

What if threads don't make a helluv a lot of sense. You can't predict what would happen if other things never happened, because something else entirely, might have happened instead.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

The civil rights era would have been Republican ran.

Uh-huh. And just think! Saint Ronald's thugs would never have gone trapising around the globe to illegally give weapons to fash-lites in Nicaragua, either! :roll:

Speaking of the bad habit of white conservative Republican commie-baiting, Nixon cut his political teeth as a commie-baiter for the House Committee on Un-American Activities HUAC.

Regardless of party affiliation this was and still is the prevailing attitudes of conservative whites towards the Civil Rights movement (i.e. rubbing your noses in your bigoted, whites-only laws while the whole world watched):

Wonder how many of them now wave those flags at Trump rallies

Your party president (R - Amoral Philanderer) now labels people who don't clap for him at a SOTU "un-American".

Quote:
Meaning today African Americans would not be voting 90%+ for the Democratic Party.

Because of your lynchmob and rigged public policy history, we'll never vote as a bloc for parties led by conservative whites. Meaning you'll never get the hashmarks of the most coveted voting bloc in the country. :)

Quote:

Lol "we" who?

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:29 pm 
Policy Wonk

My Grandmother thought Orville Faubus walked on water. She also was friends Lester Maddox. My Father's support for President Eisenhower's desegregation of Central High caused a split that lasted until my Uncle Died.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

I like Legends of Tomorrow, because they kind of struggle over those questions. In fact, tonight's episode was again about the risk of changing the future, and accidentally making the timeline even worse.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Was going back and forth with GoU on another thread and once again I got to thinking about what would it be like today had Nixon won in 1960.

JFK, probably would have won in either 64 or 68.

RFK would have lived to be an old man and JFK due to his poor health maybe not as old but surely would have seen 70-75.

No Watergate, no Carter which means no Reagan no Bush no Clinton and definitely no Trump almost forgot no LBJ.

Had JFK done a reasonably decent job which seeing how he is currently ranked one slot above Reagan there is no reason to believe he wouldnt have been. RFK probably would have been President somewhere between 76 and 84.

Nixon was better equiped to run Vietnam than LBJ so it would have been totally different.

The civil rights era would have been Republican ran. Meaning today African Americans would not be voting 90%+ for the Democratic Party. Meaning their votes and political voices would not be taken for granted.

We would have gotten Universal Healthcare sometime in the late 60's to early 70's.

I don't know, Glen. Nixon was a noted red baiter. Imo it is entirely possible that Vietnam may have been worse than it was. And of course there is nothing to say the JFK wouldn't have run in '64.

Unfortunately to borrow from C.S. Lewis' Narnia series "no one gets to know what would have happened."

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

I like Legends of Tomorrow, because they kind of struggle over those questions. In fact, tonight's episode was again about the risk of changing the future, and accidentally making the timeline even worse.

I seem to recall the first time Wolverine appeared was in a comic where a creature called a "Wendigo" was fighting someone but I can't remember who.

Btw, as badass as Conan was Wolverine would have kicked his ass.

Crom's bones!

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

I believe Wolverine was first in the Canadian super-team Alpha Flight, before he joined the X-Men.

BTW, Alpha Flight had one of Marvel's first openly gay superheroes, Northstar.

The "What If" comics usually involved the Watcher suggesting what would unfold if something in the Marvel universe had changed. I think one of the first "What Ifs" was, of course, "What If Gwen Stacy had not died?" Some were weighty examinations of alternative futures, some were excuses to test impossible contests because the characters lived in different times, like the one I posted above.

Anyhoo ... I like alternative history fiction as a genre. Man in the High Castle, one of my favorites.

As for thinking as a kind of speculation it can lead to anything more useful than good fiction ... yeah, I don't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

I believe Wolverine was first in the Canadian super-team Alpha Flight, before he joined the X-Men.

BTW, Alpha Flight had one of Marvel's first openly gay superheroes, Northstar.

The "What If" comics usually involved the Watcher suggesting what would unfold if something in the Marvel universe had changed. I think one of the first "What Ifs" was, of course, "What If Gwen Stacy had not died?" Some were weighty examinations of alternative futures, some were excuses to test impossible contests because the characters lived in different times, like the one I posted above.

Anyhoo ... I like alternative history fiction as a genre. Man in the High Castle, one of my favorites.

As for thinking as a kind of speculation it can lead to anything more useful than good fiction ... yeah, I don't.

He had a cameo in Hulk #180 and full appearance in Hulk #181. He was in Alpha Flight as you noted.

http://marvel.com/universe/Wolverine_(James_Howlett)#axzz57c8xJVwX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:15 am 
Board Emeritus

If Nixon had won, blacks in the south wouldn't be voting for anyone. Nixon would never have signed either the Voting Right Act or the Civil Rights Act. Remember that Nixon is the one that gave us the Southern Strategy. Nixon is the one that campaigned against the new rights of blacks. He ran a racist campaign in '68, second only to Donald Trump's racist campaign.

Pure fantasy, glen. Nixon was one sick individual, and trying to make him a hero if he'd have won an earlier campaign, that he somehow wouldn't be the corrupt individual he was - obviously from the first - is just dreaming.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

My Grandmother thought Orville Faubus walked on water. She also was friends Lester Maddox. My Father's support for President Eisenhower's desegregation of Central High caused a split that lasted until my Uncle Died.

Last night I saw Lester Maddox on a TV show
With some smart ass New York Jew
The Jew laughed at Lester Maddox
The audience laughed at Lester Maddox too
Well he may be a fool but he's our fool
If they think they're better than him they're wrong
So I went to the park and I took some paper along
And that's where I made this song

Nixon was a criminal. And...he was a war criminal. He should have been hanged. Glen says he managed Vietnam better than Johnson? He lied his ass off to the American people and the congress...repeatedly. We would be better off if he had won in 1960...we would be better off if he had never been born.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

Hunter S. Thompson on nixon :rw)

He Was a Crook

Quote:
MEMO FROM THE NATIONAL AFFAIRS DESK

DATE: MAY 1, 1994
SUBJECT: THE DEATH OF RICHARD NIXON: NOTES ON THE PASSING OF AN AMERICAN MONSTER.... HE WAS A LIAR AND A QUITTER, AND HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN BURIED AT SEA.... BUT HE WAS, AFTER ALL, THE PRESIDENT.

"And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird."
---Revelation 18:2

Richard Nixon is gone now, and I am poorer for it. He was the real thing -- a political monster straight out of Grendel and a very dangerous enemy. He could shake your hand and stab you in the back at the same time. He lied to his friends and betrayed the trust of his family. Not even Gerald Ford, the unhappy ex-president who pardoned Nixon and kept him out of prison, was immune to the evil fallout. Ford, who believes strongly in Heaven and Hell, has told more than one of his celebrity golf partners that "I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

I have had my own bloody relationship with Nixon for many years, but I am not worried about it landing me in hell with him. I have already been there with that bastard, and I am a better person for it. Nixon had the unique ability to make his enemies seem honorable, and we developed a keen sense of fraternity. Some of my best friends have hated Nixon all their lives. My mother hates Nixon, my son hates Nixon, I hate Nixon, and this hatred has brought us together.

Nixon laughed when I told him this. "Don't worry," he said, "I, too, am a family man, and we feel the same way about you."

It was Richard Nixon who got me into politics, and now that he's gone, I feel lonely. He was a giant in his way. As long as Nixon was politically alive -- and he was, all the way to the end -- we could always be sure of finding the enemy on the Low Road. There was no need to look anywhere else for the evil bastard. He had the fighting instincts of a badger trapped by hounds. The badger will roll over on its back and emit a smell of death, which confuses the dogs and lures them in for the traditional ripping and tearing action. But it is usually the badger who does the ripping and tearing. It is a beast that fights best on its back: rolling under the throat of the enemy and seizing it by the head with all four claws.

That was Nixon's style -- and if you forgot, he would kill you as a lesson to the others. Badgers don't fight fair, bubba. That's why God made dachshunds..................

more at link

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

glen has abandoned the thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

:rw) :rw)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:05 am 
Board Emeritus

Hunter S. Thompson on nixon :rw)

He Was a Crook

more at link

What a guy...

"Buy the ticket...take the ride."

Something Donald has never managed to do his entire adult life. To Donald it's "Buy the ticket...call your asshole lawyer to get you out of paying for the ticket."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:28 am 
Policy Wonk

glen did what glen usually does, run away. Or as he prefers, "I had to go on the road". Strange how every time he get his ass handed to him, he suddenly has to drive somewhere.....anywhere rather than take the criticism he so richly deserves.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

glen did what glen usually does, run away. Or as he prefers, "I had to go on the road". Strange how every time he get his ass handed to him, he suddenly has to drive somewhere.....anywhere rather than take the criticism he so richly deserves.

Fact is I have been very busy lately. As for running away from this thread not so. It is a topic I find interesting evidently nobody else does.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Uh-huh. And just think! Saint Ronald's thugs would never have gone trapising around the globe to illegally give weapons to fash-lites in Nicaragua, either! :roll:

Speaking of the bad habit of white conservative Republican commie-baiting, Nixon cut his political teeth as a commie-baiter for the House Committee on Un-American Activities HUAC.

Regardless of party affiliation this was and still is the prevailing attitudes of conservative whites towards the Civil Rights movement (i.e. rubbing your noses in your bigoted, whites-only laws while the whole world watched):

Wonder how many of them now wave those flags at Trump rallies

Your party president (R - Amoral Philanderer) now labels people who don't clap for him at a SOTU "un-American".

Because of your lynchmob and rigged public policy history, we'll never vote as a bloc for parties led by conservative whites. Meaning you'll never get the hashmarks of the most coveted voting bloc in the country. :)

Lol "we" who?

We as in the citizens of the USA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't know, Glen. Nixon was a noted red baiter. Imo it is entirely possible that Vietnam may have been worse than it was. And of course there is nothing to say the JFK wouldn't have run in '64.

Unfortunately to borrow from C.S. Lewis' Narnia series "no one gets to know what would have happened."

I am basing my opinion not on the fact that Nixon was corrupt we all know that he was. I am basing it on the fact that he was elected twice. Keeping that in mind I believe we would have been better off had he won in 1960. On paper he was better equipped to handle Vietnam and Cuba. While JFK and RFK were better qualified to handle the civil rights movement. Aside from the fact they probably would have never been killed had Nixon won in 60.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Last night I saw Lester Maddox on a TV show
With some smart ass New York Jew
The Jew laughed at Lester Maddox
The audience laughed at Lester Maddox too
Well he may be a fool but he's our fool
If they think they're better than him they're wrong
So I went to the park and I took some paper along
And that's where I made this song

Nixon was a criminal. And...he was a war criminal. He should have been hanged. Glen says he managed Vietnam better than Johnson? He lied his ass off to the American people and the congress...repeatedly. We would be better off if he had won in 1960...we would be better off if he had never been born.

Bill Clinton turned to Nixon for advise on foreign affairs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... -1.1264304

As for being a war criminal, that list would include every President starting with FDR until Jimmy Carter took office. With the exception Ike was one as General and I am not sure about JFK. But it is 99% certain that, FDR, Truman, Ike, LBJ and Nixon were all war criminals.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:53 am 
Board Emeritus

We as in the citizens of the USA

Since "we" already know how conservative whites second-class, commie-bait, lynch, bash, and mass-murder your fellow citizens, and circa 1960s was the heyday, do tell which citizens you're talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:59 am 
Board Emeritus

Keeping that in mind I believe we would have been better off had he won in 1960

In 1960 Nixon was another dumb commie baiter from Orange County.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ronzo started by ratting out SAG, then being the major keeper of the blacklist. Nancy met Ronzo when she dropped in to make sure the Nancy Davis on his list was somebody else.

NiXon was the other red baiter in SoCal. He was a crook and a lousy person when he was 20. When he came on this wonderful new invention called TV, he looked like a junior Mafia enforcer from the Jersey swamps. THAT put him out of the White House in 1960.

If you wanna do alternative history, then the question becomes: "What would have happened differently had Nixon had a professional makeup person and a lighting director, the way they do now?" Surely he'd have won in 1960 despite Mayor Daley's dead voters, and the rest... I don't go there.

I'm still upset that they ruined the Star Trek timeline.

Now we have drumpf, the head clown from the other coast. Gotta love that Republican Party.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ronzo started by ratting out SAG, then being the major keeper of the blacklist. Nancy met Ronzo when she dropped in to make sure the Nancy Davis on his list was somebody else.

NiXon was the other red baiter in SoCal. He was a crook and a lousy person when he was 20. When he came on this wonderful new invention called TV, he looked like a junior Mafia enforcer from the Jersey swamps. THAT put him out of the White House in 1960.

If you wanna do alternative history, then the question becomes: "What would have happened differently had Nixon had a professional makeup person and a lighting director, the way they do now?" Surely he'd have won in 1960 despite Mayor Daley's dead voters, and the rest... I don't go there.

I'm still upset that they ruined the Star Trek timeline.

Now we have drumpf, the head clown from the other coast. Gotta love that Republican Party.

I don't know how true it is but I have always heard from various sources and pundents that those who watched the Nixon/JFK debates on TV thought JFK won. Those who listened on the radio thought Nixon won.

Something not to be lost in all of this is I am pretty sure that Nixon and JFK did have a half-ass friendship and liked and respected each other.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Isn't if funny how glen slams Carter every chance he gets as a failure, but here glen is trying to revamp Nixon's rep? :rw)

I don't know how true it is but I have always heard from various sources and pundents that those who watched the Nixon/JFK debates on TV thought JFK won. Those who listened on the radio thought Nixon won.

Something not to be lost in all of this is I am pretty sure that Nixon and JFK did have a half-ass friendship and liked and respected each other.