RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ugh. Another iconic business in jeopardy.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/02/ ... rs-report/

This is sad news. I never could afford a straight up Gibson, but I do have an Epiphone Elitist which is from the same company, but mine was made in Japan. Gibson has suffered over the last few decades though with fit and finish issues while prices are way up there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sad news...it sounds like a reorganization, not a close up shop bankruptcy.

The first decent guitar I ever had in college was a small box Gibson flat top. Great guitar...I didn't know WTF I was doing when I let it go.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

my husband used two gibsons. glad theyre reorganizing only.

do the youngins even play instruments or is it all beep tones via phones....bo-ring.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:20 am 
Board Emeritus

my husband used two gibsons. glad theyre reorganizing only.

do the youngins even play instruments or is it all beep tones via phones....bo-ring.

That's kind of the issue Rain. I've seen the fall move in of students at UC Merced for the last four years. I've seen a guitar case or two being carried onto the campus, but not one in the hands of every fifth or sixth student like it was when I was going to college.

Another thing I don't see is beer. I've seen one 12 pack of beer being hauled onto that campus during the last four years. :|

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 am 
Board Emeritus

That's kind of the issue Rain. I've seen the fall move in of students at UC Merced for the last four years. I've seen a guitar case or two being carried onto the campus, but not one in the hands of every fifth or sixth student like it was when I was going to college.

Another thing I don't see is beer. I've seen one 12 pack of beer being hauled onto that campus during the last four years. :|

Beer has been replaced Ecstasy and prescription amphetamines.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:41 am 
Board Emeritus

Beer has been replaced Ecstasy and prescription amphetamines.

Maybe where you are. These kids I've been seeing on campus are by and large a sober serious studious lot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:52 am 
Board Emeritus

Maybe where you are. These kids I've been seeing on campus are by and large a sober serious studious lot.

Feh.

Quote:
Those who are enrolled in a full-time college program are twice as likely to abuse drugs and alcohol than those who don’t attend college.

https://www.addictioncenter.com/college/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Maybe where you are. A quote and a link doesn't trump what I've seen with my own eyes and experienced through my own other senses.

I can smell beer, I can follow the scent of beer to where there is beer. There is no beer there.

Persons using Amphetamines reek, and it leaves a visual imprint on their person if they continue to use it. I can smell that even more distinctly than I can smell beer. If cops could book people based on their smell they would be able to pick up every Amphetamine user in America in only a few months.

I don't know what Ecstasy smells like, or is like. It was something new when I was becoming something old, so I have no experience with that one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Maybe where you are. A quote and a link doesn't trump what I've seen with my own eyes and experienced through my own other senses.

So...the choice is between your always terminally unique little anecdotal evidence vs. professionals doing the work. I'm gonna have to go with the professionals.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

So...the choice is between your always terminally unique little anecdotal evidence vs. professionals doing the work. I'm gonna have to go with the professionals.

Good, I don't want to go with you either Ike, I have professional standards to maintain.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

sam just cuz you didnt smell beer doesnt mean the students dont drink it.
you know, with the blunt their smoking.
for a lot of millens weed is more useful then paying millers.

btw...ill ask this again: when does millennial begin and end?
what are those younger than beer buying age...what do they call the babies....the under 18's...

who are millennials?...what age group?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

and....where do you watch the students carry things...for the last four years.
:rw) :rw)

you a security guard?...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

and....where do you watch the students carry things...for the last four years.
:rw) :rw)

you a security guard?...

No, I've been moving my daughter in and out of her room. That means I'm right in the thick of it. Even riding in the elevators with them.

I'm really good at not running over other peoples feet with a loaded hand truck. Those students and their parents not so much. :|

I pick her up and drop her off quite a few weekends every year too, so I'm there a lot.

BTW, there is no smoking there, not inside not outside, it's against the law. The thing is without the cigarette smoke smell to cover it, pot smoking is hard to cover up. Walking in and out, up and down the halls I've never smelled smoke of any kind.

It is a very difficult college to get grades at to survive. Primarily it's intended to be a science and engineering school. Although one can get just about any kind of degree there.

They work the kids butts off. It's a new university, only about a dozen years old, but it has already risen way up in the national ranks. It's not at the top and probably will never be there but it's climbing.

Last edited by Sam Lefthand on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

My students hang out at Kava Bars in South Florida. Well, some of them, anyway.

Purple Lotus is a fave.
http://www.purplelotuskavabar.com

But, yeah, they're not typical, I'd say. ;)

P.S. if you haven't tried Kava ... well, don't knock it until you do. :mrgreen:

It's totally legal. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

My students hang out at Kava Bars in South Florida. Well, some of them, anyway.

Purple Lotus is a fave.
http://www.purplelotuskavabar.com

But, yeah, they're not typical, I'd say. ;)

P.S. if you haven't tried Kava ... well, don't knock it until you do. :mrgreen:

It's totally legal. :D

I know about it and have tried a close cousin Tonga, some people say they are the same thing. It's a good strong medicine for muscle pain, but dangerous, long term usage introduces a real risk of liver damage. The list of drugs it interacts with poorly is a list a foot long.