RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:20 am 
Board Emeritus

White nationalists and Twitter bots fueled the war against Al Franken — and the Democrats fell for it
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/white- ... rats-fell/

A group of fake news sites, white nationalists and far-right fake Twitter accounts were reportedly behind the campaign against Sen. Al Franken (D-MN), and Democrats fell for it.

According a report from Unhack the Vote, while everyone was focused on the Russian meddling of the 2016 election, another campaign was being run out of Japan. Leeann Tweeden’s initial allegation against Franken was quickly turned into propaganda after being hinted at by Trump ally Roger Stone.

A group of Japan-based sites were created the day before Tweeden came forward with her allegations and several Twitter bots ensured the stories about it went viral. The news was then picked up and fueled by Mike Cernovich and his fans, who issued thousands of tweets causing “FrankenFondels and “Franken is a groper” to gain traction. Meanwhile, eight former female staffers of Franken’s defended their old boss, but their voices were completely drowned out.

Beginning Nov. 15, Stone used one of his accounts that hasn’t been banned by Twitter to spread his message.

“Roger Stone says it’s Al Franken’s ‘time in the barrel.’ Franken next in long list of Democrats accused of ‘grabby’ behavior,” the account tweeted.

That day, RealUSA.site was created by a Japanese developer named Atsufumi Otsuka. A fake news site was grown and a second site popped up a few days later.

Tweeden’s story was promoted within hours by right wing media from Infowars and Breitbart to The Hill and KABC-LA, where Tweeden’s radio show is broadcast.

The Alliance for Securing Democracy explained that Russia Intelligence operations then ensured “Al Franken” was trending by Nov. 17 using a group of 600 fake accounts.

Right-wing troll Charles Johnson tweeted, “Thinking of offering money to people who go on tv and say Al Frank is a predator,” just days later. Cernovich wasn’t far behind.

While Johnson was tweeting out his message, Otsuka was starting another domain in Japan and building the second fake news site. The Google analytics account ID And Apple app ID both match name servers and registration for the sites, according to researchers.

Just days prior to Democrats calling for Franken to step down, the fake news sites republished a article from a smaller site by Ijeoma Oluo, urging women and activists to stop their defenses from Franken. “Dear Al Franken, I’ll Miss You But You Can’t Matter Anymore,” was its title. Thousands of fake Twitter accounts then ensured the article spread.

[snip]

“We began to suspect that this legitimate opinion piece [by Iluo] had been weaponized for political gain by dozens of twitter accounts, all of them repeatedly tweeting links to the two domains registered in Japan in late November,” Unhack the Vote’s Mike Farb wrote. “Strong similarities between the accounts combined with clear connection to the two recently-established Japanese websites verified our suspicions.”

He discovered that they had “stumbled upon a sophisticated botnet being used to spread alt-right propaganda.” That botnet is still active today, though they’re not talking about any political propaganda. More than 400 accounts exist in the group, continuing to promote propaganda and ready to go on the attack again at any moment.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

i often wondered about this.

roger stone...this is the douchebag who apparently was 'in charge' of doing lots of this shit.
if he had a partner in the admin--which could be anywhere, not particularly IN the WH..
i mean think of all the help and aid to the enemy FB was in all this.

its too bad a machine cant tell when its being fucked with.
it doesnt have the sense to SNIFF OUT the shit being peddled like a human CAN DO.

i read some qwikie about a groper voter who, simply cant believe!!...trolls were baiting HER.
yes, honey, thats cuz yer so special and rich white boys play to you and you take it as tho the transference
you experience is something other than FAKE FUCK NEWS.
TRANSFERENCE. any woman voting for groper was TRANSFERRING whatev she missed as a fucking
CHILD to the CHILD on TV who also LIES to you.
FB did not help You. it helped zuck it did not help you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transference
It is common for people to transfer feelings from their parents to their partners or children (that is, cross-generational entanglements). For instance, one could mistrust somebody who resembles an ex-spouse in manners, voice, or external appearance, or be overly compliant to someone who resembles a childhood friend.

High-profile serial killers often transfer unresolved rage toward previous love or hate-objects onto "surrogates", or individuals resembling or otherwise calling to mind the original object of that hate.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in ... ansference
3. Yet another way transference is used refers only to the loving feelings. Shorthand for what therapists call “erotic transference,” this is where the client develops romantic feelings for the therapist. It happens. More often than you think. Let’s say we’ve got a client longing to be known, with a history of misunderstandings or rejections, and we sit them down with a professional listener and understander. OF COURSE there are going to be some positive feelings. Maybe even feelings or fantasies of taking this exquisite understanding home. Living every day with this understanding in peace and harmony. Even merging with this understanding in an intimate, passionate way. The desire to connect with a caring person in a meaningful way is completely valid.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

another thing about this transference shit...a TOTAL digression Here...but anyway...this fla kid
who killed the students?....HOW MANY TIMES WERE OFFICIOUS CALLED TO THE HOME ON HIM?
its not even blaming THEM...its HOW MANY TIMES DID THIS KID SCREAM FOR HELP FOR SOMEONE
TO STOP HIM FOR SOMEONE TO GIVE HIM SOME FUCKING FUNCTIONAL BOUNDARIES?
THIS KID ACTED OUT FOR YEARS...which is commonly referred to as...SCREAMING FOR HELP
FOR SOMEONE TO STOP THE SHIT IN HIS HEAD. hear him. listen to him. stop him from worse feelings.

its what he wanted. if he didnt WANT THAT HE'D HAVE KILLED HIMSELF AFTER THIS SHOOTING.

do i reside in a country that still cant figure out simple shit like...ACTING OUT??...
...srsly???

he calmly got burgers and walked along waiting for someone to cuff him and walk him away.
he wanted life in jail over life he could not manage with strange to dead parents family.
im not making excuses....im saying this kid was screeching for help.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mmph.

Quote:
Editor’s Note: We’ve discovered several issues with this article and have removed it temporarily while we do further research. Thank you for your patience.

Snopes has more... Did ‘Bots’ Force Al Franken to Resign?

Nina Burleigh at Newsweek, whom I usually admire, apparently referenced Kos. :problem: Something really weird is up with this entire story.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, OK, this story looks to be deconstructing.
http://www.citypages.com/news/was-al-fr ... /474570703

I'll admit it - I trusted Newsweek (more than Raw Story) to have done more than rely on Mike Farb ... which, it seems, they didn't. Yeah, I wouldn't have relied on Mike Farb as a sole source.

BTW, I find Oluo's response to this story interesting, I don't think I would have called Franken's accusers "tools" nor would I say all of it was "invented" by online trolls. I just was interested in the aspect of how domestic RWers (more than Russians) might have spun the accusations and used them. Roger Stone is still in the mix.

That's something Snopes acknowledged they did, in two other cases.

The only thing I would say to Ms. Oluo is something I said before. If we treat all kinds of accusations as equivalent - well, they're not. Pretending to grope someone on a plane is rude and inappropriate; shoving your hands up someone's genitals is assault; pressuring your staff into performing sexual services is harassment.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'll admit it - I trusted Newsweek (more than Raw Story) to have done more than rely on Mike Farb ... which, it seems, they didn't. Yeah, I wouldn't have relied on Mike Farb as a sole source.

BTW, I find Oluo's response to this story interesting, I don't think I would have called Franken's accusers "tools" nor would I say all of it was "invented" by online trolls. I just was interested in the aspect of how they might have spun the accusations and used them.

Yeah the whole thing is odd. I don't doubt for one second that trollbots amplified the story. At the time, Al Franken also happened to be one of the hardest-hitting interrogators on -- wait for it -- Google, FB, Twitter selling Russia-linked ads.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:33 pm 
Policy Wonk

another thing about this transference shit...a TOTAL digression Here...but anyway...this fla kid
who killed the students?....HOW MANY TIMES WERE OFFICIOUS CALLED TO THE HOME ON HIM?
its not even blaming THEM...its HOW MANY TIMES DID THIS KID SCREAM FOR HELP FOR SOMEONE
TO STOP HIM FOR SOMEONE TO GIVE HIM SOME FUCKING FUNCTIONAL BOUNDARIES?
THIS KID ACTED OUT FOR YEARS...which is commonly referred to as...SCREAMING FOR HELP
FOR SOMEONE TO STOP THE SHIT IN HIS HEAD. hear him. listen to him. stop him from worse feelings.

its what he wanted. if he didnt WANT THAT HE'D HAVE KILLED HIMSELF AFTER THIS SHOOTING.

do i reside in a country that still cant figure out simple shit like...ACTING OUT??...
...srsly???

he calmly got burgers and walked along waiting for someone to cuff him and walk him away.
he wanted life in jail over life he could not manage with strange to dead parents family.
im not making excuses....im saying this kid was screeching for help.

there is also the way people are made to feel, lots of sophisticated and even unsophisticated ways of forcing someone to not feel welcome or to feel out of place, or feel surveilled or suspect, quite easy to accomplish but those feelings don't disappear afterwards, they remain imprinted on people subconscious also with cheating a person or cruelty or being unjust.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:13 am 
Board Emeritus

BTW, I find Oluo's response to this story interesting, I don't think I would have called Franken's accusers "tools" nor would I say all of it was "invented" by online trolls. I just was interested in the aspect of how domestic RWers (more than Russians) might have spun the accusations and used them. Roger Stone is still in the mix.

The only thing I would say to Ms. Oluo is something I said before. If we treat all kinds of accusations as equivalent - well, they're not. Pretending to grope someone on a plane is rude and inappropriate; shoving your hands up someone's genitals is assault; pressuring your staff into performing sexual services is harassment.

As much as I give Raw Story hell around here, Raw Story floats somewhat above what Newsweek has become. I no longer accept Newsweek as being a source. Their magazine belongs in supermarket checkout stands with those photos of Jesus on fruit and Bigfoot in a freezer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Story retracted. Newsweek has tons of issues right now, but this is what you're supposed to do after publishing a story with questionable information.

We are retracting the Franken story.... - Nina Burleigh FB post

RETRACTED: HOW AN ALT-RIGHT BOT NETWORK TOOK DOWN AL FRANKEN - NW

Quote:
Newsweek has retracted its story about a conservative botnet effort to force the resignation of Senator Al Franken.

The initial report was based on research conducted by Unhack The Vote, a group examining outside influence in U.S. elections and politics. It alleged that a "decidedly alt-right" botnet "weaponized" anti-Franken stories and amplified pressure on Franken to resign after allegations of sexual misconduct. Newsweek was unable to independently verify their claims after a further review of their work.

Newsweek regrets the error.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, BTW, I don't expect journalists to be infallible. They make mistakes. Human beings do.

Of course, good journalism means when they know this has happened, they issue retractions. And Newsweek did.

I still think there are parts of the Franken story we don't know yet, things that trace back to the lair of Roger Stone, but that's another & different story.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, BTW, I don't expect journalists to be infallible. They make mistakes. Human beings do.

Of course, good journalism means when they know this has happened, they issue retractions. And Newsweek did.

I still think there are parts of the Franken story we don't know yet, things that trace back to the lair of Roger Stone, but that's another & different story.

Things have gotten so meta we're now at the point where one has to now ask if it was bots that planted the story about Al Franken being taken down by bots. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?