RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

For a lot of Republican voters (particularly older), there is a feeling of nostalgia, a longing
for the days in the fifties and early sixties for they are feeling they want back their
country they knew. Instead they are seeing bi-lingual signs and increasing numbers of
today's minorities along the election of a Black President and nomination of a woman
to be President. Society is changing and they are feeling left behind.

Those people believed programs like Father Knows Best and Leave It to Beaver reflected the real America and they are unable to acknowledge those programs were a "white-washing" of how America really was. Really now, mothers who doing housework in a dress, heels, while wearing a string of pearls? These same people think back then they could leave home without having to lock their doors and nothing would be stolen but again, that's a myth sold by the likes of Reagan.

Quote:
For people, the election of a strong, outgoing white male President who talked of
making America great again was soothing to their ears and they turned out in droves
in November, 2016. Fast forward to 2018, some of these people are disillusioned but
make no mistake, they will again turn out in droves if the alternative inflames their
sense of security. The future does not bode well for these people for they are dying
off while those angry teenagers enraged by inaction over gun control will soon turn
voting age for those kids grew up without the sense of nostalgia for white privilege.
Got to keep those kids focused for their parents will want them to go back to
thinking of spring break and summer vacations while the adults make the tough
decisions.

While conservatives like to describe liberal as supporting a "Nanny-state" it's true that conservatives support a strong "Daddy-state" where the leader is a strong, forceful father figure (dictator). It's these people I fear the most, those who would turnover power to a father figure just to feel a sense of security.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

I do feel the kind of country each voters want can be summed up by Republican voters
wanting things the way they were. They grew up watching Leave it to Beaver, followed
up by Happy Days and Ronald Reagan. These same voters were repulsed by Bill Clinton's
moralities and turned up in enough numbers to elect Bush 43 and elect Donald Trump.

These voters which include so many evangelicals are a very strong voice and cannot be
ignored in 2018. I really think political messaging that reassures the more open minded
of these voters would be prudent for times do need to change and our society needs
to embrace the needs of the many for the future.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 am 
Policy Wonk

Chaotic Detroit school board meeting ends abruptly as longtime activist is removed

Quote:
........The board was discussing the conditions at Palmer Park Preparatory Academy, where a leaking roof and concerns about potential mold forced the district Tuesday to decide to move the students and staff to other locations starting Monday. That's when things got particularly hot.

Some in the audience weren't happy with the discussion, and shared their frustrations with the board. It was then that Taylor told security to remove Moore.........

Detroit's Palmer Park students to be moved while work continues to address building conditions

Quote:
.............On Monday, the school was shut down because a large number of the school's staff called off work because of the building's condition, with some worried that the water could be causing mold.

Ivy Bailey, president of the Detroit Federation of Teachers, said that during a meeting Tuesday at the school with staff and Superintendent Nikolai Vitti, the decision was made to move the students and staff to different schools while work is completed.

It was the right decision, Bailey said.........

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:41 am 
Board Emeritus

What does all this have to do with the OP? Is the Detroit School Board controlled by Republicans? I'm just asking because I am having some difficulty connecting the dots.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:56 am 
Policy Wonk

JoeMemphis wrote:

What does all this have to do with the OP? Is the Detroit School Board controlled by Republicans? I'm just asking because I am having some difficulty connecting the dots.

well originally it was brought up in comparison to school safety concerns over mass shootings, that republicans will get locks and heavy doors, gun lockers whatever they can think up, in an instant to schools out of concern for safety of kids but in our own Republican majority state they have kids in Detroit attending school with unsafe building conditions that never become priority at all, so it cant be safety of kids they are concerned with.

but its the outcome of republican policy of school choice enacted by Michigan governor engler in the early 90s. its literally what kind of country republican voters want and have achieved, one where minorities schools are performing good and get a billion and a half dollars to spend on their schools then are slandered, board powers taken away, school mismanaged by republican appointees until it is in this radical state of disrepair, lack of students and splintered funding.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Conservatism thrives in communities that HATE education and DESPISE educated people every bit as much as they despise the very idea of "the public".

Even though you guys are as much "the public" as anyone else. :problem:

Does it surprise you that Betsy DeVos is one of the nastiest, most incompetent, money-hungry conservatives/Republicans around?

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:47 pm 
Policy Wonk

Arizona teacher posts salary on social media: 'I need a college degree to make this?'

Quote:
Amid a nationwide debate about teacher salaries, a Phoenix-area teacher shared her salary, and her frustration, on social media.

Whispering Winds Academy teacher Elisabeth Milich posted a photo of her salary on Facebook. Her salary is $35,490 per year.

She works for the Paradise Valley Unified School District.

Milich posted the photo after seeing her expected pay raise for taking professional-development courses.

"This is my new pay after taking a few professional development classes," stated Milich in the post. "I actually laughed when I saw the old salary vs. the new one. I mean really, I need a college degree to make this? I paid 80,000 for a college degree, I then paid several hundred more to transfer my certification to Az."

Milich's pay stub showed she will make an additional $131 next year.

"I just posted it to bring awareness," said Milich. "When you see it in black and white and you see what your raise is, it is just laughable." ................